PDA

View Full Version : water spouts

wayne_cook
24-06-2006, 11:47 PM
the young bloke took a couple of pics the other day not the best quality dut still a bit scarry

wayne_cook
24-06-2006, 11:49 PM
another

wayne_cook
24-06-2006, 11:56 PM
one more

fishingnottake
25-06-2006, 02:25 AM
bugger, how close idd it get?

el_carpo
25-06-2006, 04:57 AM
Glad he's safe. That looks dangerous. The pictures look good and thanks for posting them.

I wonder if what I saw recently was a mini-version of one of those . My dad and I were fishing from shore and I noticed a small whirlpool forming about twenty feet out in the water. I told my dad and we watched it grow slowly bigger and more intense. It was so strange! It started out as just this tiny whirlpool and it just kind of danced around a little on the water's surface. It moved over a weed patch and the water started to lift up. There was no wind really either. Like I said, it slowly gained intensity at first but then it just seemed to explode. It was only when it reached it's peak in strength that I felt a strong wind. The water was lifting about three or four feet high in a thin column about a foot in diameter. The scary thing was that it was moving towards the shore and us! It got to about five feet away! Then, it just seemed to go away in an instant. I asked my dad, "What the heck was that?!" He laughed and said, "You tell me!"

My brothers, who were fishing about 100 feet away and behind trees (heavily wooded area) came by and I asked them if they saw it or felt any strong breezes. They said no.

I must have p****d off the river god or something. It sent a tiny hurricane after me!

Sudden down burst of air? Hot air hitting cold air? I have no clue but it sure gave me the creeps! LOL.

The water spout in your pictures are much, much scarrier. I don't know if I would have had the courage to stick around to take the pics!

EC

wayne_cook
25-06-2006, 08:42 AM
he said fairly close to em theres a few of the sky i,ll put a couple more on.

does any one know how to post a series of pics without starting a post each time
?

wayne_cook
25-06-2006, 08:49 AM
see if this one is better

wayne_cook
25-06-2006, 08:50 AM
heres one in the sky

el_carpo
25-06-2006, 09:46 AM
Gaw Da-yum!!!

It looks like it was trying its best to turn itself into a hurricane! Those are some great photos too! I especially like the one that shows it stretching from the water surface to the clouds. Must have been quite a site in person. Very cool!

timbacutta
25-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Have seen water spouts before when I have been out fishing, including 3 in one day out near Lady Elliot Island. But none as close as in the photos. :o
I would have been saying, get me the hell out of here. Awsome pics.

Jeff.

robersl
25-06-2006, 10:55 AM
mini tornado's are very common we just do not see to many of them had a bad 1 hit redcliffe in the mid 70's started at clontarf around the ramp area along the beach a few hundred yards then inlandthrough maine rd up to ne cut back through some bust that was there at the time went down kinsealla accross victoria ave down to margate shopping centre then back out to sea off margate beach left a trail of destruction behind it in a very narrow path but houses and shops were badly damaged just like a mini cyclone another spout came ashore one day and dropped sardines type fish everywhere as well a few years later

onerabbit
25-06-2006, 02:23 PM
Awsome photos brrbear,
They look like they were realy close.

We had an experience with one 12 months or so ago, when we first noticed, it was about 3km away, bloody thing came straight at us & fizzed right in front of us less than 1km away. Was quite scarey at the time.

Muzz

onerabbit
25-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Better try & post 'em 1 at a time

onerabbit
25-06-2006, 02:26 PM
One more,

At the time the wave on the right of the funnel looked about 15ft high.

Muzz

wayne_cook
25-06-2006, 02:59 PM
Yea muzz I think he was very close. He's pretty quite and doesn't tell me to much,it's like extracting teeth getting info out of him.Just another day at work as far as he's concerned.Sometimes I think I'm better off not knowing all the close shaves.

Cheers bear

S_Bend
26-06-2006, 09:18 PM
S#!t. Scary thought seeing those out there. I remember years ago seeing them off Caloundra but I was on land at the time. There is no way I would ever want to see them up close and personal like that. Good to see that the photo's came home - no-one got into trouble...

Craigus
27-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Crazy stuff there and awesome pictures to got with it.
But you gotta love nature aye......even if it does scare the s#!ts out of us sometimes.

Juzo
27-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Saw some footage from the Sydney to hobart Yaught race a couple of years ago. The skipper had a camera on his head, and it showed the yaught sail straight through the middle of one of those spouts. Was full on, fantastice bit of footage.....