PDA

View Full Version : Catfish, Catfish, Catfish

BillR
23-06-2006, 05:21 PM
What can I do with the slimey, smelly catfish the rain seems to be bringing on the bite lately. If I run out of mullet they are ok for a bit of emergency crab bait. Also I keep the smaller ones until they snuff it and then float them out the back of the boat for the eagles to pick up.
But apart from that are they good for anything else or am I missing something.

BillR

shayned
23-06-2006, 05:41 PM
Turn them into mudcrabs, let 'em go or if you're game skin them, poach the fillets in chicken stock mash with a fork mix with mash potato, chopped spring onions, finely chopped chilli and fennel (egg to bind mixture). Make into a patti dust with seasoned plain flour and pan fry until golden brown. Serve with a nice salad and most importantly dont tell them what they're eating then excuse yourself and head down the pub for a nice counter meal.

Lucky_Phill
23-06-2006, 07:01 PM
Farm them in a far away land, then export them to the Land Downunder, in the great marketing name of Bassa. ::) :o :P

Phill

flatstrap
24-06-2006, 07:46 AM
Grilled snapper fillet? Spanish Mackerel steak? Memories...

Methinks we all have to adjust our seafood taste buds going forward. Maybe Bassa for a main course and scraped periwinkes for a soup entree.
Window into the future?...flatstrap

Dirtysanchez
24-06-2006, 07:51 AM
Farm them in a far away land, then export them to the Land Downunder, in the great marketing name of # Bassa. ::) #:o :P

Phill

O.M.G. !!! are you Fair dinkum Phill ? ewww, thank god I have had the presence of mind not to buy fish with unfamiliar names like Bassa or "Nile Perch"

Ewwww, I know some of the boys reckon catfish are OK, but pass me a steak and I'll just dream about eating fish

straddie
24-06-2006, 11:08 AM
Heya BillR

I have posted this previously,
From the Queensland recreational fishing rules (August 2005) http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/xbcr/dpi/Queensland-recreational-fishing-rules-Aug-2005.pdf
If you unintentionally take a fish that is not the legal size or is unwanted (including fin fish or crustaceans), return it to the water immediately, taking as much care as possible to avoid causing any injury to the fish.

A fisheries officer having a bad day could possibly use that against you to lighten your wallet, or someone from the anti fishing lobby might be filming you and forget to include the eagle swooping in for a feed to demonstrate the evil fisho killing fish for no reason. ::)

If you aren't going to eat them or use them for crab bait let them go, or even better fish an area with more structure and with less weight so you are more likely to catch better fish and very few if any catties.

BillR
24-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Thanks Straddie. The eagles love them (the muddies don't seem as keen) and have never missed one yet. But you are right about moving to another spot once they start biting.

BillR

shadow
24-06-2006, 12:48 PM
Are they native to australia or introduced?

Shadow

Louis
24-06-2006, 07:21 PM
They're native.

Louis

Dirtysanchez
28-06-2006, 09:10 AM
So the catfish has a size limit too ? >:(

gogecko
28-06-2006, 10:16 AM
Watch out for the poisonus spike in the dorsal fin. You can be sore for a few weeks if you get hit.

Canoedle
28-06-2006, 11:08 AM
pectoral fins have spikes too, I have heard they are very good bait for bull sharks also. ;)