PDA

View Full Version : Green Backsa

barry_york
30-05-2006, 08:06 PM
#:) Can you provide info on fishing for green backs,ie. tackle,rigs,bait and do they run with choppers?
Fish Sunshine Coast to Fraser Isl [smiley=question.gif]

rando
30-05-2006, 09:05 PM
See the threads in saltwater fishing " Good Tailor season"& "Spinning for Tailor" more info than you can apply in a dozen trips !!!

fishn-ads
30-05-2006, 09:12 PM
Bazza welcome,

One of the function avaiable on this format is "Search" it's at the top of the page between members and help.

You'll find heaps of threads on tailor fishing, search tailor in Saltwater, select 25 posts in the last year.

That said i mainly fish with baits so I tell you what i know,

Greenbacks are more mature fish and tend to run a little later and stick more to the ocean waters.

A decent rod to get you out past the breaks 12ft plus, 15lb line is plenty, a trace about a metre long of 25-40lb mono.

4x 3/0 or4/0 ganged together and a pilly (try and get the smaller "W.A." types. Bottom hook close to the tail fork they hit from the back hence the name "tail or". You can cut of the tail fin of the pilly to get further cast distance (less wind resistance) sometimes the big fellows sick out the back abit more.

They generally school up and feed on the sea side of a beach gutter , coffee rock or headlands. Dawn and dusky are the best times.

Ads

CHRIS_aka_GWH
31-05-2006, 07:23 PM
don't, don't ....

:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

ahhh can't resist .....

.... 15lb line is plenty, a trace about a metre long of 25-40lb mono.....

4x 3/0 or4/0 ganged together .....

ads' advice is good up to about 3kg and will catch fish bigger if everything goes right ....

bigger greenbacks feed on big baits (like the head, gills and guts of another tailor, the belly flap of a bonito etc) they will cut 40lb trace like it was cotton, snap the eyes on even the best produced gangs in their mouths & with their sharp turns and will make 15lb feel inadequate when you are trying to turn their head in a shore dump

i fish 22lb mono (a compromise between castability and 30lb which would be the preferred breaking strain), I use at least 50cm of nylon coated multi-strand to a chemically sharpened 4/0 - 6/0 buried in a tuna slab or a snelled rig to a mullet or tailor remnants

The bigger fish i have caught have come on the making neap tides (like this weekend) or the dawn tides just prior to the new moon.

seeyainthesurf,
chris

fishn-ads
31-05-2006, 09:40 PM
GWH

:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

ahhh can't resist .....

I fish for sport! I'll leave the longlining to the Japanize.

Lever drag will take care of any run, if they snap off, bite or swallow 4 x 3/0 the fish will have a slower death than if I catch it.

I want to come fishing with you if you nail 7lb+ greenies everytime. Best I can average is around 2-3ish lb.

Sorry i must have missed it somewhere that ones opinion is to be the same as everyone elses.

Just my humble opinion (saw that elsewhere think I know why)

Ads

P.S. Serious about that fish but gotto be there?

CHRIS_aka_GWH
01-06-2006, 06:40 PM
ads' advice is good up to about 3kg and will catch fish bigger if everything goes right ....

:-?

a lot of people give credit to bust offs and cut offs in the surf to sharks when i reckon they are being done in by tailor.

The lone wolf and I with over 50 years of tailor hunting between us learnt the craft from blokes with that much each and are still learning tricks to capture true greenies. You never stop learning. Last year we had a frustrating session inside the pin bar where we had been fishing live mullet under float for jew when XOS tailor showed up and we didn't have a wire in the boat - they sliced up to 80lb up on over 6 rigs and left us using anything that would float and frustrated.

If you want a big tailor - be on the eastern side of a straddie this weekend with live mullet , tuna strips or fresh tailor & be prepared to stand in the surf for 6 hours till the moonset - they may even be there after lunch if that westerly has enough south in it. Big tailor prefer seas that most fishos won't fish because its too hard and they'll take the biggest freshest bait you can offer.

chris

manchild
01-06-2006, 07:10 PM
Chris you just showing off now :P
Though cant argue with 50 years experience ,i once got a bloke drunk in the rsl on bribie i tell ya i picked up 50 years of local secret knowledge in a two hour drinkin session and was lucky enough to remember it the next mornin ;D
hence my love fishing the place
cheers
George

CHRIS_aka_GWH
01-06-2006, 07:40 PM
:-? :-?

i shall be quiet now, my sincere apologies gentleman for attempting to help baz get his arms stretched, for somehow offending ads by telling baz his advice is good and for "showing off" by relating stories about losing fish and always being a student of the game #... # # :-/

btw baz, they do run with the choppers - they eat 'em, so as i said when the choppers stop chewing throw a piece of chopper into the suds.
Hope you catch a big one mate.

seeyainthesurf.

barry_york
02-06-2006, 09:17 AM
Wow, that stirred the possum,thanks for all the info on greenbacks fellas.Keep it coming.
Had not fished surf for about 30years as I have been in the Territory and fishing techniques have changed a fair bit.
Just spent 8 days on Fraser where interest in the greenbacks was ignited as while attempting to catch jew (another subject later)was continually getting bitten off.Yes it may have been shark but I doubt it.
Did change over to tailor rigs and scored some nice choppers.No bight offs there.....
PS
wouldn't mind meeting a couple of interested fishos to pal up with up my way,Maleny Qld
regards Bazza2 :)

manchild
02-06-2006, 05:52 PM
Geeeez Chris you are a sensetive one mate.I meant showing off with your knowledge of locations and best time .Meant to be friendly anyway .
cheers
George

choppa
08-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Chris you just showing off now #:P
Though cant argue with 50 years experience ,i once got a bloke drunk in the rsl on bribie i tell ya i picked up 50 years of local secret knowledge in a two hour drinkin session and was lucky enough to remember it the next mornin ;D
cheers
George

your shout,,,,,,,,,maaaaaaatehic ;D ;D ;D

SURF_SNIPER
09-06-2006, 06:29 AM
everything chris has said is true and correct , especially you never stop learning. a couple of the blokes i fish with are in there 60's and are always coming up with new rigs, techniques and ideas to keep them at the top.

it did stirr him a bit thou didn't it ;D ;D ;D

Slider
09-06-2006, 06:51 AM
One thing to be remembered with tailor and mackerel is that a lot of bust ups can be attributed to tailor other than the one hooked. They will bite at anything that moves when their mate panics after hook up and generally the target is the sinker. So there are 2 potential ways of avoiding that. Firstly to have a short length of wire to a swivel, then another length of wire that the sinker runs on to another (black) swivel. Secondly to have a very short length of wire (6 inches max) so that the other fish won't target the sinker due to proximity to the mouth of the panicking hooked tailor. The first method will be more consistently successful than the second and is the method that we have used for spanish macs and tailor off the beach. Very, very few bust ups on 15lb line and plenty of 10lb tailor and many spaniards. Or better again would be to use a Slider. ;) ;D

Slider

spindles
09-06-2006, 08:11 AM
A large percentage of bust ups are caused by shiny swivels. A good idea is to leave your swivels in a strong brew of tea till they are black. bazza i have a DVD of a talk i did about 20 years ago on tailor fishing i could send it to you if i had an address. spindles

manchild
09-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Chris you just showing off now #:P
cheers
George

your shout,,,,,,,,,maaaaaaatehic ;D ;D ;D

Im not after lightersized soles mate ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D :P

barry_york
03-07-2006, 10:23 AM
Spindles

Thanks for offer and would like to have a look. Thanks mate
plse send to...............

Barry York
30 Thynne court
Maleny 4552 :)

barry_york
03-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Slider,
Thanks for info and in fact have made several types of sliders to try out over coming weeks.Will be interesting to see how they work out.