PDA

View Full Version : Crab Pots, No Name or Old

thesimmos
02-07-2006, 09:44 PM
People,

I am not implying anything here I am just curious..

If a crab pot has no name on it is it illegal to check/take it?

If it looks like it has been there for what looks like a long time so of course has no name is it ok to check/take it?

Simmo

Heno
02-07-2006, 10:39 PM
Just my thoughts but basically "If it's not yours dont touch it" ... saves having to explain yourself to an irate person or worse still fisheries :-[.
Cheers,
Heno.

Big_unit
02-07-2006, 10:41 PM
Ive found heaps of pots (30 or so) around the Great Sandy Straits over time and I normally pick them up & leave the pots at the ramp for whoever to pick up or if they are that far gone the council garbage men normally pick them up.

The reason I pick them up is I normally find them floating in the main channels which in my opinion is a danger to vessels.

On a couple of occassions I have been quizzed at the boat ramp by the owner of the pot, who is normally very happy to have it back especially considering that I found it a long way from where they set it up.

Personally I dont bother to keep any pot I find, they are usually pretty knackered.

Cheers
James

wayneoro
03-07-2006, 06:52 AM
by law it is theft to touch any pot no matter what, there are no excuses its not yours dont risk touching it bloke across road from me got caught with 8 pro pots told them he found them on bank just from this one sample you understand how there can not be any exceptions or excuses if i catch you touching mine i will ram you i am sick and tired of low lifes stealing my property

Jeremy
03-07-2006, 03:22 PM
if i catch you touching mine i will ram you #

bet you wouldn't! You might feel like it, but the force of the law would surely catch you and be far worse than the loss of some crabs or pots.

LoveLutjanids
03-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Heres the facts...

you do not commit an offence under Fisheries Legislation (unlawful interference with fishing apparatus) if the pot is genuinely unmarked AND all reasonable attempts have been made to locate the owner first.

However, theft is a criminal offence in Queensland. If its not yours then.....

Mind you if its ghost fishing, you would be doing the right thing by removing it from the water and placing it above the high water mark adjacent to where you found it, being the good little environmental vegemite that you are!!

Ciao :D

Big_unit
03-07-2006, 04:43 PM
I think that if more people cleaned up a bit of rubbish from around our waterways, a whole range of problems would be fixed along with it.

If people put thier pots out properly (suitable water depth, 50ft deep is ridiculous) then I wouldnt feel obliged to have to pick them up while they float around in no mans land just waiting to cause a mishap or worse.

Im not talking about pots laying on the mud exposed at low tide but I think its pointless really to put a pot out so shallow in most places.

Its not always practical to place a found pot on adjacent land.

I spose Im also wrong for cutting up and removing the odd gill net I find in different creeks and rivers ?

Wayne - I understand your concern but theres no need to threaten people here.

Lucky_Phill
03-07-2006, 05:43 PM
OK, simmo, I suggest you contact the DPI&F ( Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries ) with this question.

When you get an answer, in writing or a direction to the revelant regulation on the web, please re-post this topic. It would be useful info.

Cheers Phill