PDA

View Full Version : Cooktown Members please

vanurose
10-04-2006, 06:11 AM
Do any of our members know Cooktown? We are plannig to take our boat up to Cooktown when the Big Wet stops. We live in
Cairns so its not too far away. But would anyone know if there are boat ramps up there? I have found a lot of info on fishing spots(they sound too good to be true though?)and accommodation and eating places but nothing on access for boats as we do not have a 4X4 yet. Can one of our members give some help to us
Thanks
Rose

theoldlegend
10-04-2006, 07:23 AM
Hi Rose,

If you're a member of the RACQ, they might be able to give you some info on the road conditions etc and you might be able to contact the local council that covers the Cooktown area for ramps and all that stuff.

Might be of some help.

TOL

revs57
10-04-2006, 07:25 AM
Hi Rose,

Yep there is a reasonable ramp up there from memory on the Endeavor River near a statue of Capt Cook. Need to watch for crocs on launch and retrieve though...

Gonna get our boat up there one day for a crack at it

cheers

Rhys

megafish71
10-04-2006, 07:42 AM
No probs for a boat ramp up there. There is a good ramp down near the wharf. What sort of boat do you have? You may want to use the ramp during the slack time of the tide as that river flows quite hard through the deep channel next to the ramp making launching and retrieving a little difficult at times. Cooktown is a great spot and lots of good fishing to be had up there. I think we all will be sharing that part of country with alot more visitors now that the road is sealed all the way to Cooktown.
I am planning to head back up that way for a weeks fishing in September,

Cheers and best of luck

Ron

TinarooTriumph
10-04-2006, 02:42 PM
No probs for a boat ramp up there. There is a good ramp down near the wharf. What sort of boat do you have? You may want to use the ramp during the slack time of the tide as that river flows quite hard through the deep channel next to the ramp making launching and retrieving a little difficult at times. Cooktown is a great spot and lots of good fishing to be had up there. I think we all will be sharing that part of country with alot more visitors now that the road is sealed all the way to Cooktown.
I am planning to head back up that way for a weeks fishing in September,

Cheers and best of luck

Ron

Ditto. Got a few mates in Cooktown that could tell me the other night that the fishing up there at the moment is fantastic, im heading up this coming weekend. We will be trying all up and down the Endeavour and go walking up the mighty Annan River. I loved that road to Cooktown, im going to love it even more now. 160 all the way ;D .

TinarooTriumph 8-)

shaman
10-04-2006, 06:53 PM
Hiya Rose I was talking to a guy from Cooktown the other night and he was telling me the fishing up there is sensational. He was holidaying for the first time on the g/coast and was comparing our g/coast fishing targets and techniques (bream, whiting etc.) with theirs and had a bit of a giggle at our expense to which I felt honourbound to defend us, but alas with what he was telling me I had trouble racking up a good defensive argument.
Have a great time and I look forward to your post with plenty of pics.
Billy

NEWBY
11-04-2006, 09:13 PM
Just drove the new boat (pic attached from day 1 of the trip) down from Cooktown. There are a few live trout boats that operate out of there. One boat ramp and YES look out for the crocks and the fast tide. Fishing is fantastic and I was told that under the wharf, you can dive and see HUNDREDS of barra. Say g'day to Jason for me when you are there. (He skippers the ROBIN II. A word of warning though. When I was there a few weeks back, I went into town and there was a horse, yes you read it right, a bloody horse tethered up to the verandah post of the pub. I didnt hang around and wait for the good ol'e boys to start duelling banjos.

revs57
11-04-2006, 09:16 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D "where'd that hoss come from Keletis???" Dueling banjo's that's a good one ;D ;D ;D ;D

choppa
11-04-2006, 09:28 PM
oh come on newby,,,,if it was inside drinking would that make any difference,,,,if ya looked out the back thats were the innkeeper ties up his missus,,,,,apparently she and the horse dont get along,,,,

choppa

Hoges
12-04-2006, 08:16 AM
I loved that road to Cooktown, im going to love it even more now. 160 all the way ;D .

TinarooTriumph 8-)[/quote]

I have only driven up and down that road once and that was before it was sealed. A mate on a earlier trip along that unsealed road got pulled over for taking a sip from stubbie of mid strength beer. :o :o :o
So would be careful about the PIGS. Feral that is as they can dart out from anywhere. ;D ;D ;D

fishyjoe
13-04-2006, 06:41 AM
Hi all,

5 of us are heading up to Cooktown late September early October this year and staying at Harbour Haven.

We are taking two boats.

Would appreciate any information about what to expect species wise etc.

A Workmate travells up every year recommended it to us.

Have a Great Easter all.

Joe

vanurose
13-04-2006, 06:43 AM
Just got my computer back after it crashed on me.
So I was so happy to read all of the above replies early today.
I appreciate all of your input.
I am now also looking forward to Tinaroos thread about Cooktown this weekend. I sure hope the weather clears up for you. It looks like the Big Wet is still here.
We have a lot of planning ahead of us.
Don't worry I will take lots of pics to share with you all.
We have a 3.9 metre Bluefin with a 25hp Tomatsu outboard.
But after reading a few things it seems that we may not need a boat after all.
What do you all think about that?
That Jetty sounds great.
Cheers
Rose

revs57
13-04-2006, 12:13 PM
Hi Rose,

the jetty is good if you can get the blighters away from the pylons and there udes to be a couple of monster resident groper around 600lbs or more...need about 100lb mono handlines with a live baited herring to get any barra out and up...I still reckon your boat would open up more options though

Hope you have a great trip

Cheers

Rhys

major-defect
13-04-2006, 12:38 PM
There is also a good boat ramp beside the road to Cooktown in the Annan river but it can be a bit shallow.

vanurose
15-04-2006, 07:02 AM
Thanks Rhys
You have a great looking boat there and later this year we hope to get a boat similar to yours.
The Big Wet is unfortunately still here with us and, as usual, it is raining at Easter. I have had so many Pm's about other members heading up that way this weekend and I bet they feel depressed right now with all this heavy rain all around.
We are so looking forward to going up to Cooktown and I can't wait to show you all the photos too.
With the rain so heavy around us we cannot book a motel as it would be a waste of money going North in heavy rain. Good weather is essential.
We are looking forward to catching one of those Barra under the Jetty there too. I have never used a line that heavy though as we only use rods, no hand lines. But I know some fishos use that method here in Cairns and I have seen Barra and Fingermark caught that way.
Anyone have some fish photos from Cooktown?
Rose

baldyhead
15-04-2006, 11:15 PM
Hi Rose, you will be very disappointed if you don't take the boat. The ramp @ the Annan bridge is a good one but @ low tide its a bit tricky launching / retrieving..but not impossible. The Annan is a river of surprises including rock bars so be careful. Downstream of the bridge you have it all, all estuary types and some good sized mud crabs to boot. Just inside the mouth (approx 5 km from the bridge) can be very productive for jacks and barra on lures or live bait. Bait is variable but you can usually catch enough for a days fishing.
There is a creek that flows into and helps to form the mouth on the southern side. Good flathead country and drifting across there @ nite can produce some quality muddy's using the landing net and a good spotty.
Upstream is also productive with shallow banks one side and deeper snag encrusted haunts for some good fish on the other. I have fished up to 7.5 km upstream. Trolling / live bait or just tossing lures ( I prefer Long A Gold Bombers with heavy SHARP trebles) is usually the go.
BE WARY OF LARGE SALTYS they are there YOU MAY NOT SEE THEM, SO DONT DO ANYTHING FOOLISH like having a dip.
The town ramp is OK but can be a handful with a big run out tide...but not impossible. It is just upstream of the wharf with ample parking.
There is some fantastic fishing SOMETIMES in and around the Endeavour. The wharf produces some remarkable Spanish Macks around winter time. The Barra are there all year round but are cagey buggas.
There is some good Flathead , grunter and a mixed bag available opposite the wharf area on the sand flats. No mud only very hard sand. A making tide fishing in just enuf water to float the boat always works for me and I fish within 30 feet of the beach usually using the wind and tide to cover these flats.
On the northern side just around the corner of the beach is a small creek called Leper ck. There is plenty of bait IE mullet herring and prawns. You should get a feed of prawns right up the top in the shallows @ the end of the creek. Tossing lures or flys against the mangroves is always a challenge and well worth it. This creek has yabby beds in its shallow mouth area and Flathead, grunter and stingrays are always willing to have a go. If you use a very sharp 6/0 baited with a boneless slab of mullet hard against the mangroves unweighted on the northern side of this creek on a making tide you should be rewarded with a good size Jack or 3.
Upstream from the ramp on the southern side is always good for a troll or a tossing session for a few kms. There are a couple of creeks upstream that are well worth a fish as well.
About 11 km upstream from the ramp, the river forks north and south and it can be rewarding fishing indeed.
You are very limited without a boat in cooktown.
If you go there expecting to catch heaps you may be disappointed. Its a great place and ANY FISH IS A BONUS !
The info above should be enough to get you a feed...I have fished this area for 50+ years and I am still learning...and still get surprised with what I see and catch.
I haven't touched on the reef as a small tinny can be dangerous out there because the wind gets up and blows hard bloody quickly.
6 kg gear is all I use and have great success with it. DON'T FORGET THE FLY ROD AND FLYS. 8 wt is the go with pink things white things and a box of clousers.
Let me know how you go after your trip..you might even surprise me.
cheers....baldy

vanurose
16-04-2006, 06:01 AM
Thanx Baldy
I hope you realise how helpful you have been to us. It was so enjoyable to read all the information that you have condensed from your personal experiences over 50 plus years into several paragraphs. I cannot thank you enough.
I will print all the info and Terry and I will discuss our plan of attack when we do more planning for our trip up there. The rain up here will not go away, but as soon as it does we will be ready for action. As you know Baldy, planning is essential to success and you have been a big help.
As soon as we are about to set off I will let you know and everyone else that has given info to me.
I can't wait to use the camera up there too as I know all the fishos on this site love to see results.
Cheers
Rose

TinarooTriumph
16-04-2006, 08:30 AM
This has absolutey nothing to do with fishing what so ever, but if your going to Cooktown through Lakeland Downs, its a must to stop at the Roadhouse on the right, sit down at a table and try one of their steak meals. Trust me, if the same cook is their that cooked mine about 1 month ago, then you wont be dissapointed about stopping. That Roadhouse makes an absolute killing - there is never any less then 30 people in their at a time.

Croc factor - id be very careful wherever you are on the water for crocs, it seems every year up there they just get more and more agro and bigger in numbers. Should be heading up there soon (May Day weekend???) - i was suppose to be going up there this w/end but bloody parents had to stay back.

TinarooTriumph 8-)

baldyhead
16-04-2006, 09:45 PM
Rose have a look @ these fotos. They show some obvious spots that I have marked and I have fished them all...some very productive. It will give you somewhere to start...local knowledge is always the best. Also talk to obvious locals @ the ramp. This is where you can get some valuable info.
If you have a sounder look for structure and deep holes / gutters. I troll a lot and this is where I find a lot of structure and holes etc which I mark on the H/H gps for future reference. Gold bombers are good for shallow 8 - 10 feet depth @ least 80 ft behind the boat (thats my minimum). I also am spooled with 30lb braid. For 10-20 ft I prefer the large Barra Classic, again 80 ft min. The viper works well @ this depth too. My trolling speed (Barras) is the motor in gear NO THROTTLE going downstream ( just enuf for steerage) with the tide and just enuf throttle to move against the tide with the occasional stop to allow the lure to start to rise. When you start to move after the stop is when the fish usually strike.
Now this is not the only way to troll and some of my best fish have come when I have been moving at a brisk walking pace to get over a sandbar etc and this pace will account for the jacks,trevally,fingermark,estaury cod and queenies to mention a few.
I like to put the classic (any colour) out @ my trolling speed and stop it a few times until I feel it hit the bottom, then recover about a metre or two of line. This puts the lure where the fish are.
cheers baldy

baldyhead
16-04-2006, 09:48 PM
Annan Downstream

vanurose
18-04-2006, 07:06 AM
Wonderful Baldy
Is there any chance that you will be up this way again soon?
If you are then get in contact with us.
Where did you get those airial photos from?
I would like some too or is it a web site photo of the rivers?
Would you believe it is still raining up here in Cairns and apparently another cyclone is developing north of Cooktown, so it may still be a while before we can set off on our inaugural fishing trip.
My husband Terry is so keen to go, but I am now a little apprehensive after all the warnings about crocs, and rocks in some river spots.
We have crocs here too but not that many and when we launch our boat there is no strong current.
I want to be prepared and people like you are a rare breed and good to know
Cheers
Rose

baldyhead
18-04-2006, 05:23 PM
Hi Rose, the fotos are from 'google earth'. Go to google and download the exe file(http://earth.google.com/ ) . Free to use. There are about 40 known crocs in Trinity Inlet system and @ least one around 15 foot. I have a pro crabber M8 who regularly sees her. I have personally seen a 12 - 15 footer on the bank of a prawn farm pond adjacent to Pine creek about a month ago. There would possibly be as many in the Cooktown rivers. You just have to be croc aware....you probably wont see one as the water is warm now. August is when you will see them. There are some inviting freshwater spots in the upper reaches of the Annan BUT DONT SWIM THERE unless you have 50m of ankle deep water fore and aft of where you intend to swim and have a lookout.
The rock bars are not a problem. Put the boat in @ LOW tide and have a good look around the river, you will soon see the bars etc. The ramp @ cooktown is similar to the #Fearnly st ramp in Smiths Ck . The strong run is only when you have a big run out tide or the river is fulla fresh water. So don't be too worried. The weather man said that Cairns / Cooktown area could experience 100 / 200 mls of rain on Wed/Thur from Monica so you will have to factor that into your trip. The Cooktown road is not an all weather road with the Little Annan prone to flooding. For a reliable road report fone COEX..C'town overnite xpress 4069 5661...they run 2 trucks a day so will know of any problems up there....cheers baldy

vanurose
19-04-2006, 03:55 AM
Hi Baldy, great info, I appreciate it all
Cheers
Rose

baldyhead
19-04-2006, 11:33 AM
Heres a site with heaps of info for different areas http://reports.fishingmonthly.com.au/index.php?c=2 cheers baldy

Shafty
24-04-2006, 05:03 AM
Guys,

Pigs were mentioned - and can cause heaps of damage - but be very careful of the cows. From before Mt Carbine on they can be a serious problem and quite a few get hit every year. For this reason I prefer travelling during the day for increased visibility. Hope the trip is fruitful,

Shafty

vanurose
24-04-2006, 05:12 AM
Hi Shafty
I appreciate that warning(cows and pigs on road) and I will take notice and Terry can drive and I can keep watch.
The weather is still wet and those clouds will not do the disappearing act as yet.
So plans for our northern safari are put on hold for now
Cheers
Rose

vanurose
30-06-2006, 08:20 AM
Its nearly July and the rains and south easterlies are still with us. And, No, we still have not been abale to head up to Cooktown. Weddings, visitors and now the school holidays are here and too many people around. I am looking outside right now and this is the first blue sky and no clouds for 2 months now. We will start preparing the boat as we hope to head up that way next week(weather permitting).
Has anyone got any new info for Cooktown?
Cheers
Rose

vanurose
06-07-2006, 09:18 AM
I am very surprised that no one has contacted me with the latest fishing adventures in Cooktown or surrounding areas. I would love to be able to eamil someone from the area to find out what is happening there at the moment. I suppose the weather is as bad as here in Cairns, wind, wind and more wind. Will it ever end?
The ocean is just brown and no fish except for the occasional Flathead and bream.
I would love to hear some late breaking news of any fishing excitement recently.
Get typing fellow fishos
Cheers
Rose