PDA

View Full Version : tweed bream comp.

beatle
11-07-2006, 08:03 AM
Went down to the river on saturday and sunday to see the boats in the tweed bream comp. There were some really awsome rigs(sixty in all ). I sat on the bank and looked at the competitors techniques with soft plastics especially in deep fast flowing water. I learn't a few different tricks and cannot wait to give them a go. The comp. was extremely well run and it was a credit to the organisers and the competitors and it was a real eye opener to watch the weigh in. The most succesful soft plastic was the Berkley gulp in baby shrimp, especially the nuclear chicken colour. The final day (Sunday) saw a free sausage sizzle put on for the crowd.

Fishing_Widow
11-07-2006, 10:57 AM
There is a thread on the Tweed Comp on the saltwater board. There were a heap of Ausfishers down there fishing the comp. You should have come up and said hello.

The thread has names of members who fished and a bit of a wrap up.

Regards,
Naomi

gogecko
11-07-2006, 12:41 PM
So beatle, how did they handle the fast current? Did anybody use drop shot rigs? or just move to heavier jig heads?

The nuclear chicken shrimp was also the most sucessful plastic at the GC comp, so I went and bought a few.

cheers
Andrew

beatle
11-07-2006, 05:40 PM
Naomi- I wasn't sure who was an ausfish member as I could not see anyone with any ausfish I.D. Andrew - They were casting well upstream and letting the plastic find bottom (20ft ) they let the plastic drift back to there boat and what surprised me was that they only gave the lure an occasional flick or lift, when the plastic was back level with the boat they retrieved and re-cast. They were not using the dropshot method.

blue-mako
11-07-2006, 08:59 PM
mate i just used heavy quarter oz tt jigheads... mainly to get the lure down as quick as possible..

my bigest bream not sure what weight he went but he was 35cms to the fork was caught on a gulp 3inch pumkinseed fry... i used 3inch gulps when the fish were thick... it seemed to atract much more bigger bream then 2inch gulp shrimp like my boater was using...

as the bream quietened down i switched to pumkinseed 2inch minnow grubs since they were more finiky and not quite smashing the gulp as they were when the tide was right..

such an awesome feeling... getting that tap tap then 2second slow swim and then BANG!

i loved it! cant wait til my 2nd comp... ran 1st on the first day and 9th on the final day

troy

beatle
12-07-2006, 08:55 AM
Well done Troy. I couldn't believe how popular these tournaments are , I would love to have a go myself next year.