PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from Cooktown?

whiteman
10-07-2006, 03:26 PM
Taking the kids for a look around Cooktown in a couple of weeks. They'll probably want to throw a line from the wharf.

Can any Cooktown locals identify themselves and I'll PM a question or 2 about accommodation options and land based fishing?

TinarooTriumph
10-07-2006, 04:00 PM
'Baldyhead'... where is he when ya need him.

Get into contact with him mate, his the man to talk to.

Tinaroo 8-)

hussy
10-07-2006, 08:39 PM
captain cook

TinarooTriumph
10-07-2006, 08:51 PM
Also... http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1144613495. Baldyhead gave Rose a load of info when she was planning her trip up there, so that link should be usefull. Page 2 of that link more so....

Try that

Tinaroo 8-)

fez
11-07-2006, 09:09 AM
Can't beat the Seaview Motel, directly across the road from the ramp and 100m to the whalf. Views overlooking the Endeavour River, quick walk down the road to the best feed in town Chop Souie Louies (He runs Live Coral trout Boats) 8-) so the seafood is the best in town.

Seaview is around $90 per night for a family room, can get two bedroom townhouse set up as well not sure of the prices their number is 4069 5377.

As TT said have a look at the thread Baldyhead put up it contains all the right info.

Cheers,
Fez

fez
11-07-2006, 09:16 AM
Oh forgot will you be land based or taking the boat?

If land based the whalf for everything from Barra, gropper to Mac's, also try the Stone Wall at Marton (10 min out of town) towards the airport - take the dirt road right just before the Marton general store/servo. The second beach is the area here, make sure the tide is running (take plenty of aeroguard, think of how much you should need and double it). There are a few little beaches etc here but the second one contains a hole about 20-30 ft off the high tide mark with plenty of timber around, we had caught Jacks, Fingermark, Barra, Cod and BIG mullet there on lures and Live bait (The bigger the live mullet there the better the barra are, hook the mullet through the bottom lip and hang on).

Taking the or a boat opens up many more area's.

Anyhow you will enjoy it.

Cheers,
Fez.

P.S. Don't forget to post the details of the trip

major-defect
11-07-2006, 09:27 AM
The old bridge over the Annan river worth a look if your land based and there are decent tracks along along the river both up and down .These lead to some decent spots.Look for some of the rock bars at low tide then fish them as the water gets deeper. Cheers.

major-defect
11-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Oh forgot.The mud geckos are a bit friendly in the Annan don't turn your back on the water for a sec.

fez
11-07-2006, 10:46 AM
Yeah agreed Mud Geckos are friendly everywhere around Cooktown but active in the Annan. You tend to see more in the Annan as it is a very shallow river, but they are everywhere. Play smart and they won't affect your fishing.

Cheers,
Fez

TinarooTriumph
11-07-2006, 12:01 PM
Yeah Fez is one the money, the Sea View is a nice place to stay. Don't forget to have a drink in the pub while your at it...

If I can remember, Cherry Bay I think its called, I went for a fish up one of those Inlets and caught a few Jack up there. Im not sure if its called Cherry Bay, but its a continuation of Hope Street I think. But definetely the wharf, always a good to stop and have a fish there. Ive had some BIG hits there, but no results :-[ . If you've got a boat definetely try the inlets on the Endeavour, you will strike with some big barra. Don't be too worried about the croc's, just always monitor where you are and they are and you'll be right.

Fez and m.d - are you guys actually from Cooktown?

TT 8-)

whiteman
11-07-2006, 04:28 PM
Bl**dy hell! Barely got to ask a question and I'm getting answers! Thanks all. I saw Baldy's post to Rose and if I take the boat up some day, it'll be in the map bag. We live in croc territory so we are careful.

The fishing - land - with the kids won't be serious but we'll probaly toss something around the wharf area for some fun. These kids usually fish for mackerel and fingermark so they know how to land solid fish. The Seaview could be the go. Townhouses there are $190/n for a family 2x2.

Most of the time we'll be touring rain forest type places and of course I'll be looking at boat facilities.

fez
11-07-2006, 09:12 PM
Tinaroo,

No mate from Cairns ;D but we get up there about 10 times a year for work (which happens to finish earler than usual- can do that when you are the boss) in order to fit in fishing time, usuall tow the boat half the time and drive the coast road back during the wet (for a challenge).

I think the bay you are talking about is Finch Bay, which has Rocky Points at both ends and a small tidal creek running through it. Have caught many good sized crabs there, have to cross and walk a bit (in a straight line as the creek bends) the further up the better the crabs. Have also caught Bream and Cod in apot there but not had any luck with lures??? Maybe bad timing tide wise as this creek only really gets a flushing once every couple of tides.

Whiteman, if you are from croc country you know the risks we have seen them there but never had a problem. If you get a chancedrive the coast road back, youwill need a 4WD to do so but it is something that is a must. Make sure you stop to see the falls at Wujul Wujul. If you have any questions about what there is to do tour wise or what should be done and what can be avouided (in order to fit in some more fishing time) give me a yell. Archer Point is pretty special too.

Enjoy the trip.

Cheers,
Fez

choppa
11-07-2006, 10:19 PM
Don't be too worried about the croc's, just always monitor where you are and they are and you'll be right.

TT 8-)

theo,,,, do you mean that if you stay inside the hotel room its okay,,,,??????????

major-defect
12-07-2006, 06:53 AM
No I'm from Mission beach but like to get up to Cooktown,lovely area.Usualy get up there at least once a year.

whiteman
12-07-2006, 02:00 PM
Tinaroo,
Whiteman, if you are from croc country you know the risks we have seen them there but never had a problem. #If you get a chancedrive the coast road back, youwill need a 4WD to do so but it is something that is a must. #Make sure you stop to see the falls at Wujul Wujul. #If you have any questions about what there is to do tour wise or what should be done and what can be avouided (in order to fit in some more fishing time) give me a yell. #Archer Point is pretty special too.
Fez
Fez, we'll be driving the track on the way up and maybe back depending upon time. I've been on part of it from the south so if anything is worth seeing that we might otherwise miss, let me know.

TinarooTriumph
13-07-2006, 04:19 PM
Don't be too worried about the croc's, just always monitor where you are and they are and you'll be right.

TT 8-)

theo,,,, do you mean that if you stay inside the hotel room its okay,,,,??????????

Providing you stay on the top floor, you should be alright ;D .

TT 8-)