PDA

View Full Version : same fisherman geting the fish

logan_whiting
02-07-2006, 02:13 PM
hey i all ways get a feed of good fish evey time i go out , however why doen't eveyone get a feed? most of the time when u pull into a ramp ppl ask how did u go and there are always got the bottom lip out because they didn't even get a fish it keep

WHY IS IT SO ?

DO U FIND THE THIS HAPPENDS TO U ?
my guess is they buy the bait

agnes_jack
02-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Hey Logan
It's very common mate!! 10% of the fishermen, catch 90% of the fish.
They don't know how to think like the fish :)

Regards, Tony ;)

serene_lady
02-07-2006, 03:18 PM
Yes, Logan, Well you probably go with the right bait at the right time on the right tide to the right place and also have that bit of a feel when to set the hook. I have taken others out fishing useing the same rig and show them what to do, some pick it up but others dont. It is a bit like gardening, some yards you look in have a fantastic display of flowers or vegetables and the yard next door has a garden that would not feed a single grass hopper even though they have tried. It is not just a matter of throwing the seeds on the ground and expect them to grow. Fishing, like gardening, needs to be done at the right time with the right food and if what you are doing is not working, be prepared to try something else,or maybe ask for some help, there is always someone out there willing to help. Bob.

PinHead
02-07-2006, 05:02 PM
some go out and do everything correct and catch fish..and others..myself included are lazy buggers who just drown some bait, and really do not care if I get a fish or not...just being out on the water is relaxation enough. On tyhe other hand there are times when I want to fish and then try and get a bit serious

fullysik
02-07-2006, 05:44 PM
I'm with you Pinhead, whether or not I catch a fish is mostly unimportant to me, most of the time anyway. Sometimes I get a bit fired up and feel like getting a feed, other times I might decide to go for a bit of a cruise instead of fishing if it's a nice flat day on the bay. It amuses me when I go into work the day after and get asked "What did ya catch mate", if I reply "Nuthin", they have a bit of a laugh and tell me I'm wasting my time but I guess they don't know what it's like to be out on the water. No expectations for me and I don't get disappointed.
Does anyone else out there feel this way??

Cheers.....Dave!!

hussy
02-07-2006, 05:48 PM
logan your lucky like me having the boat ramp next to the co-op, makes it easy ay. hussy

wayneoro
02-07-2006, 06:27 PM
its so easy i have a very nice english friend i have given him my best mark i get plenty he gets little i cast for fresh bait he stops at servo i have all my traces made up and replaced he does it when he gets there i sound around to find best spot he drops anchor on gps mark i get there at dawn he cruises in at 10am but he enjoys his fishing just as much just loves to be out there in his own time doing his own thing we all have different needs and different goals

manchild
02-07-2006, 08:22 PM
Judgeing by your name logan whiting ,it seems you worked out that yabbies pumped from the banks and fished in the SAME LOCATION is the key .We had a similar thing last weekend when nobody got a touch -they had everything from frozen pillies to squids and prawns .We had fresh yabbies there was a fish to be had every few minutes flatheads,whiting ,squire,sole,bream,catties of course.Another ting is anchoring up and wait it seems drifting works out better every time .So there ,not rocketsurgery just a bit of elbowgrease :P
cheers
George

ps:meant to be educational not a smartalec

pennman
02-07-2006, 09:51 PM
Skill is the key to catching fish. The only way to become skilled is to practice and learn. Learning to detect the bite is one of many skills as is
presention of lures.
Good equipment also makes a big difference.
As an example. Where I am from we catch "trout" a type of weakfish. From the pics i've seen in ausfish our 'trout" looks to be related to your jewie but a much smaller cousin. Anyways when using plastics the bite is nothing more than a very slight tic on the rod. If the hook is not set as soon as the bite is detected you will miss it. With a good graphite rod the tic is more noticable. On those fiberglass blanks this type of bite is lost.
As said above knowing where to go and what tide to be there are also key elements for sucess . Kind of like putting a puzzle together. Keep at it and the peices begin to fall into place.
Good luck
Doug

Feral
03-07-2006, 05:59 AM
hey i all ways get a feed of good fish evey time i go out , however why doen't eveyone get a feed? most of the time when u pull into a ramp ppl ask how did u go and there are always got the bottom lip out because they didn't even get a fish it keep

WHY IS IT SO ?

DO U FIND THE THIS HAPPENDS TO U ?
my guess is they buy the bait

Yeah of course - like your going to tell the greenhornes at the ramp where the fish are! they'll only want to know your secret fishing spot!

Mate if there were fish flowing over the sides I'd still be telling you we had a lousy day!

Jeremy
03-07-2006, 08:07 AM
hey i all ways get a feed of good fish evey time i go out

Are you serious or just full of it?

Maybe you just pick your days really carefully. You never been out when the weather turns to shit with wind and rain and you decide to go back in? Or when the barometer is low and the fish won't bite?

Or maybe it depends what you call a feed of good fish. Maybe whiting and bream are easier to catch than most other fish. I wouldn't know, I don't fish for whiting and bream.

Do you ever try something new like using lures, or try for a new species, or a new location? Doesn't look like it.

Jeremy

manchild
03-07-2006, 09:43 AM
Well said Feral

Scott_Thunder
03-07-2006, 09:55 AM
Bad day fishing's better than a good day's work i reckon.
It's just good to get out there

tunaman
03-07-2006, 05:14 PM
Wish I could catch fish everytime I went out! and we are talking about
real sized fish?. I see that you are only 20years old and you might have
been a bit quick in saying you catch fish all the time.Hear on AUS chat
there are big fish hear too, and just like in the open ocean, any slight
mistake and you will be eaten. but dont worry about the big fish that swim around here, just tell us the facts, and you will swim just nicely.
But if you are just going down to the local harbour and catching bait fish or small bream etc, I could train a half deranged orang-utang to do that!
And if thats not the case please give me your tips on fishing!
I need them. ;D

signed tunaman :)

S_Bend
03-07-2006, 10:56 PM
I'm with you Scott Thunder. Whilst I do usually come home with at least a feed, there have been times when I come home empty handed which gives the missus a good laugh at my expense. Yesterday I was out in the Bay, couldn't miss in catching the livies but the only other "fish" we caught all morning was a stingray. Saw another bloke out on a wreck I like to fish who caught nothing all night. Never had trouble on this spot before, always picking up reasonable squire and the likes but yesterday was unsuccessful. Towards the end of this week (weather permitting) I am expecting it to be a bit better on the lead up to the moon.

But at the end of the day, not at work, good people on board and not at home mowing the lawn.

marlinqld
04-07-2006, 05:53 AM
I went out last saturday.

Started at HArry Atkinson.... nothing all morning, same for the other boats at the reef.

We went for a troll.... nothing.

So I took the opportunity to do some cruising and teach my son a few things. Took him up the Rous and back twice.... he ahd never been up there. He ahs his license so let him drive, with the beacon to beacon beside him. Valuable learning day............. took him right up to the bar and showed him what it was like on a good day....but dont expect those conditions every day.

All in all, we had a great day just cruising around, he learnt alot driving and navigating........ we had a great day, which doesnt necessarily have to include catching a feed. Just being out there on a good day is fun.Mike

Jeremy
04-07-2006, 06:57 AM
hey i all ways get a feed of good fish evey time i go out

Maybe you just pick your days really carefully. You never been out when the weather turns to shit with wind and rain and you decide to go back in? Or when the barometer is low and the fish won't bite?

Or maybe it depends what you call a feed of good fish. Maybe whiting and bream are easier to catch than most other fish. I wouldn't know, I don't fish for whiting and bream.

Do you ever try something new like using lures, or try for a new species, or a new location? Doesn't look like it.

Jeremy

think I might have come over a bit strong in this post, apologies for any offence.

Jeremy

tunaman
04-07-2006, 07:17 PM
I must appologise for my statement in no way i was saying you were a primate. I think someone sumed it up nicely, welcome to the mad house.

signed
tunaman :)

logan_whiting
04-07-2006, 07:25 PM

Maybe you just pick your days really carefully. You never been out when the weather turns to sh!t with wind and rain and you decide to go back in?

Jeremy

yer u did come over very strong mate , but u get that, but to get good size bream and whiting it takes a little through to get these good fish, however i just don't catch bream and whiting i also catch gurnter, sweetlip tailor and cod, i try new locations all the time and now i have move than 25 spots in and around jumping pin i've got a spot written down for evey tide and if one spot doesn't fire i keep moving until one does. and whats this about? when the barometer is low and the fish won't bite? ?????
tight lines Jeremy :)

logan_whiting
04-07-2006, 07:33 PM
just keep ur eyes open in the posts boys and i will make sure i will take photos everytime i go out and post them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i maybe only 20 but i have years of fishing in me

tunaman
04-07-2006, 07:54 PM
Years of fishing ! when I was 16years old, I started gamefishing, and I can see you have the spirit and the balls to be a great fisherman.
You go dude!

signed tunaman ;)

choppa
04-07-2006, 08:31 PM
Years of fishing ! when I was 16years old, I started gamefishing,

signed tunaman ;)

crikey,,,,,,,,hasn't times changed??????

when i was 16,,,i was fishing too,,,, but we only had word of mouth to brag about it,,,i wasn't ""game"" to tell to many though

(had to protect the innocent) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

tunaman
04-07-2006, 11:42 PM
THE SHARKS ARE SWIMMING! HAHAHA!

HAVE A GOOD TIME

SIGNED TUNAMAN #

jim_farrell
05-07-2006, 06:32 AM
LW. It is nice to come across a young bloke who is as honest, mature and humble as yourself. ;D ;D ;D
With your wisdom and years of experience maybe you should start your own website.

No offence intended. ;D

Tony_N
05-07-2006, 01:18 PM
The thing that gives me the sH!t$ about humility is that you can't brag about it.

fishn-ads
05-07-2006, 03:28 PM
I'm thinking this sounds very "Old bull Young bull".

Be careful Logan grunter make great crab bait.

And come on lads we were all 20 once REMEMBER.

Cheech
05-07-2006, 07:19 PM
I don't think Jeremy and others came on a bit strong at all. I was actually surprised that someone did not give a big spray.

Rather than just comment that you do well every trip, I am sure it would be better, and appreciated by those that do not catch fish every trip if you offered suggestions, ideas and advice to how they can improve their catch. Including technique, rigs, tide times, berley etc. Otherwise it really does sound FIGJAM.

logan_whiting
06-07-2006, 07:11 PM
umm i only posted this !not to make my self look good ! if u no me u would no i don't talk me self up and i a wasn't trying to do so in this post
i was just trying to see if ppl (people for u old guys :)) found the same thing as me. many people at the boat ramp didn't have anycatch i through some possitive feed back would come back from ausfisherpeolpe.
don't get me wrong i do think i worded it wrong

fishn-ads not catfish grunter but grunter bream

may ur lines be tight and happy fishing this weekend

jim_farrell
06-07-2006, 07:24 PM
Logan, mate it is hard to feel what someone is saying just by reading. I felt you were blowing your own trumpet. My apoligies.
Tight lines.
Jim

theoldlegend
07-07-2006, 05:05 PM
Well, goodness me, all this has degenerated into a bit of a bunfight, hasn't it? :-?

I must admit that the poster of the original post might have been doing a little bit of stirring, just maybe? :-? Is he just a young gun fisho who thinks he's pretty red hot and wanted to give the older geezers a bit of a touch up? Don't know. And then in came the bites.

However, after reading some of the replies from very well accredited fishos (IMO), I started to take an interest. When AJ from 1770 and Pinhead and Choppa et al start to reply, then it gets a bit serious.

At the end of the day, if you've had a day on the water, regardless of the result, does it really matter? I don't care!! ::) Anyway, I've had a big triple D today and ATM I'm a bit T & E. Told Gwenda I've got to do some binding after tea. Might leave it until tomorrow.

TOL

bidkev
07-07-2006, 05:51 PM
When I was 20 (or indeed 12) I used to outfish everyone, particularly in winter when the big cod arrived. I'd been fishing on my own since the age of 8 (used to run away to do it). Have to say that I outfished others mainly because I was stupid enough to stick my mitts down to the armpits chasing black lugworm in temperatures below freezing whilst other poor blokes were using stuff they'd bought or caught in summer and salted down for winter. Bait pumps were unknown back then and these black lug could be as much as a metre deep depending on the temperature and they could only be lifted by hand.

http://www.worldseafishing.com/news/123/ARTICLE/1169/2006-06-17.html

I never forgot or forget that it was the poor old geezers with dew drops on their noses and icicles dripping from their ears that were the ones who taught me though. I watched 'em dig blow lug in summer and perfected my own technique for digging the black lug based on what I had learned from their attempts at digging the "Blackpool Bootlaces".

I watched them move from walnut "nottingham' reels spooled with courlene to penn seaboys spooled with mono that was just as thick as the courlene ;D Their bird's nests were a wonder to behold ;D and I loved 'em dearly for brightening my day and making me feel a worthy person when I helped 'em with their tangles 'cause their poor old athritic freezing mitts couldn't handle it. I marvelled at their perseverence and wondered at how they got so much pleasure from fishing in such inhospitable conditions at their age.

I owe everything to them. They shared their hot flasks of horlicks or oxo with me and often, (if I was lucky), a cold bacon and egg sandwich, whilst I told 'em all sorts of tales as to how and why I wasn't at school. Sometimes they opened their hearts to me and other times I poured my guts out to them. They were modest and gentlemenly if somewhat 'rough at the edges" and I felt safe and honoured in their company. As I grew older, I could outfish them, but I never once made an issue of it, in fact I attempted to hide it as I felt somehow that they would feel less able and they didn't deserve that...they were limited by their physical ability to cast or obtain fresh bait in most cases. I had an old straw "bass" lined with a poly bag that I put my fish in and once I left the pier to head for the long walk home, I would take the poly bag out so that everyone could see how well I had done. It was all I had.....my fishing....I lived for it, so why not be proud of my successes.

I watched them dissappear one by one. Everytime I came home on leave and went to wet a line another familiar friendly face was missing. I miss the poor old buggers as I had looked on 'em as father figures. It's all gone now but the fond memories remain.

Now it's me who is becoming limited........I can't cast the big cast nets any more, the back can't take the pounding from waters that I once wouldn't have given a 2nd thought. Now it's me who is being outfished but to tell you the truth, I wouldn't want it any other way just as long as I know that the young guns who outfish me are deriving as much pleasure and social awareness as I once did at their age.

Here's to the next generaton of young guns and to those who helped 'em get there.

Dunno why I'm waffling like this......just had a nostalgic moment I suppose ;D

kev

gunnabuild1
07-07-2006, 06:23 PM
Nostalgic moment! Good story, from the heart.We've all got em just some tell em better.

hardb8
07-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Catching fish is easy.Being able to find them and understanding their needs is what seperates the top 10%ers
from the other 90.This is valuble knowledge that is gained through alot of study,time on the water and trial and error.I'm still learning after 26 years on the water,And believe I will continue to do so till I can fish no more.For the astute fisho somthing is learned on almost every trip.

Regards hardb8 ;)

Wyoming
09-07-2006, 12:19 PM
Kev,
I have to thank you for the humanity that you exhibit in your posts like the one above. I have read plenty of your posts and you manage to insert a wealth of experience and knowledge into each and every one of them and most of all, you seem to be able to resist cynical respones that some may feel are deserved.

Thanks Kev
Neil

agnes_jack
09-07-2006, 01:42 PM
Logan
Don't let the old fogey's put ya down!!! ;D ;D ;D
It is so common to have 1 bloke who catches heaps and another who gets nothing standing side by side.
There are many subtleties that make a huge difference. Rigs, hook size, baits, presentation of baits, tides, moon phases, line type, sinker weight, strike technique, picking the right species to target in the conditions, knowing the area you are fishing. etc, etc.
Those who will always outfish the rest are those who DO try each and every time they go out, take it as a challenge and work out all the why's and why nots.
Why is it that a certain species will be in an area at a certain time, and even why they will be facing in a certain direction at a certain time. Those who ponder on how a fish is thinking and why, will always outfish a bait drowner.

I reckon you are a thinker, ignore the drowners and their negative comments.
Some people give up the challenge tooooooo easy!!! ;D

But, each to his own!!

Remember........10% or 90%!!!

Regards, Tony ;)

tunaman
16-07-2006, 08:14 PM
So what you are saying is, fishing is a science?

signed tunaman