PDA

View Full Version : What can a man do?

bidkev
14-07-2006, 04:21 PM
After a week where I at times, wished I'd never gotten out of bed, I thought that it was about time that I got off my lazy arse and started thinking about the deckies's prezzy for her birthday next month.

Now being a practical guy with limited financial resources, past Birthdays and Chrizzies have proved novel if nothing else.

In our younger child-free, care-free, adventurous days, she once commented that she would love to see the snow covered highlands of Scotland from the top of Ben Nevis and spend Xmas day up there.........she was duly rewarded with an ice axe and crampons.........well how the hell was I to know that they'd put a chair lift in there? ;D

On another occasion she said that she would like all our woodwork on our 60 yr old house (skirting boards, architraves, doors etc) returning to their original natural wood finish so I bought her a paint stripping gun ;D

For a house warming present she wanted a fish pond with waterfall so I bought her 3 ton of bush rock and promptly put my back out on lifting the first rock into the barrow (which I had bought her for mother's day) ;D She spent the next ten days heaving rocks through the garage door to the back yard (we're zero lotted) with me lying on the lounger giving her instructions as to placement ;D

Last year, after her complaining about how much mess I made with the old hand mincer when making berley I bought ;)her a new mixer/liquidiser which to date has seen nothing other than pilchards and fish frames..........I did make the kids some slush puppies once but they said they tasted of fish :-/ ::) ;D

So it was, with trepidation, that I sallied forth thinking that this year it should only be right that she have something entirely for her own use seeing as she bought me that minor item called a whittley sea legend ;D

Now she's left handed, and so she struggles with using my gear seeing as my armoury consists almost entirely of penn mariners and power sticks ranging from 12 to 35 kilo married to Shimano TLD's, Penn 330 gti's and 245 LD's and it was with this thought in mind that I sallied forth to buy her a nice pair of left-handed dress making scissors.....at least she would have something suited to her needs ::) ;D

First stop....a certain mart, where, if they didn't have the scissors, I could buy her some place mats, bread boards or something similar that may have her in raptures.

Almost immediately I spyed the discount trolley and saw a pair of small dumbells in a lovely black box for only 10 bucks....wait a minute!?........one of those twiddly things that go on the end and lock the weights in place are missing. Thinking it may be under the lid (which was open) I closed it, and shock horror!............some kind person had damaged the packaging on a Penn Captiva 6000! Another kind person had marked it down from 79 bucks to 40 bucks (I'd seen the same reeel at BCF for 90) :o Now with her best interests at heart and knowing that this could be used by a left hander I realy had no option now did I? ;D I mean, my state of the art egg beater (well it was when I bought it), has only 2 ball bearings and this bugger has 11! :o :o ;D

On the way home, I got to thinking how lucky I was to have found this bargain and with a wide grin on my face proceeded merrily along until a thought struck me???????? Not so much of a bargain mate if you've only got overhead rods! ::) ::) So with heavy heart and light wallet I thought I'd mosey around and hit another mart who shall remain nameless. I was actually on my way to Sundown Marine "but as I'm passing anyway, I may as well look", I thought to myself.

Now Ugly Sticks are normally out of my league the way the kids bash 'em about......I tend to buy "disposables", but looking amongst them I was struck by one label hanging from an UStick that was stamped $44...........exactly the same rods on the same shelves were stamped $79! :o a USG66PA rated 4 to 8 kilo

So it was, with wallet shaking in hand, I was off to the checkout rapid before some pimply faced kid spotted their mistake! ;D

Now, hidden deep in the bowels of the fishing den that some may call a garage, I have what I consider to be the perfect (CHEAP) combo for the deckie's snapper fishing........the problem is, only this morning the deckie was whingeing about how she needed her kitchen knives sharpening.......I'm pretty sure that she's hinting at a bench grinder, honing stone, or something similar for her birthday, and here I am stuck with this combo. ::) The only consolotion could be that despite me having all the gear that I need, it is my birthday a couple of weeks after hers so I could make use of it I suppose ;) ;D

kev

Big_unit
14-07-2006, 04:34 PM
;D ;D ;D

Good story Kev.

WTF are crampons ? :-/

Cheers

Green
14-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Interesting problem Kev. :-/ A mate of mine saw the funny side of buying his wife shiny new lures, nice new rods and reels, until one birthday he recieved a new vacuum cleaner and toaster. :'( ;D
On a serious note mate, you could always try one of those vouchers redeemable for the massage or pampering sessions. They seem to be worth serious brownie points. ;)

Dannyboy
14-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Kev you have done your best Mate what can she say?? :'(

Look at it this way Mate you could have just forgot her and she would get SFA.

Well done and you have got me thinking about what I should get my better half in a few weeks.

Thanks for the tips ;) ;)

iank
14-07-2006, 05:17 PM
Mine gets new fishing gear wether she needs it or not. ;D ;D ;D

Cheers Ian

manchild
14-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Get her some earrings that also doubles as fishing lures :D
George

kingcobe
14-07-2006, 06:18 PM
when i first saw it in my room i thought it was mine

Darryl
14-07-2006, 06:25 PM
Betcha spewin now Jay Jay. Mum will let you use it though i'm sure.

Kev, i thought i was the only bloke on the planet who bought his wife fishing gear, your a treat mate lol.

Herm
14-07-2006, 06:32 PM
Kev, i thought i was the only bloke on the planet who bought his wife fishing gear, your a treat mate lol.

Nah - Crestcutter! ;)

I think that there are a few around who buy their wives fishing gear for their important occasions! #

I got my new rod and reel for my birthday too! Then Pete forgot the anniversary - so I went out and bought a SP's combo! :)

And for Pete's birthday and xmas pressie he is getting a Navman chartplotter and sounder!

Fishing stuff for every occasion!!!! :)

:)Janine

Darryl
14-07-2006, 06:36 PM
My wife just looks at the boat and curses it, Pete's a lucky man. ;D

Darryl.

insideout
14-07-2006, 06:43 PM
kingtin, a man can do what he only can do ,more or less, while this differs from man to man, a womans expectation is usually high, so while i am not sure if you have done the right thing, i wish you all the best....... ;D ;D

lippa
14-07-2006, 06:58 PM
ya not alone kev! i bought my missus a tld 20 combo WITH braiid line and a water blaster, after the flow of abuse ;D ;D ;D with me lauging the whole way through it, i gave her her real present, a gold necklace that she wanted! let me tell ya, i got some action that night! ;) ;) ;) in all seriousness but i have a friend who is a profesional fish filleter, he has an automated machine that sharpens knives so well she'll be able to shave her legs with 'em. then buy her a steel, and the'll always be brand new! gives us a holler if ya want m,e to arrange that side of it for ya!!!!!!!!1

cheers

lippa

theoldlegend
14-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Kev, that was a magical, funny story that I too can relate to :)

You have a knack of telling it just so....... 8-)

It would be good if Mrs Kingtin joined the site, with maybe some tales of her own??? :-[

TOL

Hornblower
14-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Boys, I think that this only goes to show how much "thought" goes into getting the fairer sex presents. :-? :-? :-? :-?

This thread also demonstrates that we DO NOT keep our feelings to ourselves, and are capable of sharing deep and meaningful emotions with our mates.

I wonder why none of our lady members have added their thoughts?? :-? :-?

I just read some of this out to my wife showing her that we are not selfish and thoughtless. ;) ;)

"Wait, Love, I think you have just put salt in my coffee instead of sugar - go and fix it would ya, ya can't expect me to drink this rubbish, oh and while your at that end of the house can you grab me my slippers - not the new ones you bought me, but my fifteen year old favourite ones with the odd smell!!"

Hang on a minute, are you alright? Why did you bring me the frying pan instead of my new coffee and old slippers?

Ouchhh!!!!!!!!

What did we say fellas??? :'( :'( :'( :'(

StevenM
15-07-2006, 04:39 AM
Kev,

all is good as its the effort and thought that counts.

cheers

steven

PinHead
15-07-2006, 06:01 AM
Just do what I do Kev...me being the ultimate romantic...forget her birthday..you only get abused for a short time..if you buy her something she does not want she sees it often and you get abused often..forget and you only get abused once.

theoldlegend
15-07-2006, 06:58 AM
Not a bad stategy Greg, not bad at all. I'll have to remember that one for future reference.

TOL

Freeeedom
15-07-2006, 08:03 AM
Good stuff Kev! I've found that any present becomes special if there are a few red roses included
Cheers Freeeedom

skippa
15-07-2006, 08:43 AM
Geez Kev,

Quite a situation your in eh #:-?

I bought Maryanne a Porta Potty for Valentines Day last year ..... # ;D
Yeah I thought it was funny and #at least she has 'somewhere nice to go' when we go camping, but then she expects me to empty it # :o

Cheers,
Tony # 8-)

shayned
15-07-2006, 12:16 PM
Skippa,
Does this mean your missus literally gives you the s**ts?? :D :D

Kingtin,
You romantic old sod, it's a wonder your good wife doesn't lock you up at home so another woman doesn't latch on to you. ;D

Pin head,
For the memory challenged amongst us here is a tip my dear old dad gave me and it works a treat. Always have a present wrapped and ready to go hidden away in the bowels of the workshop. I missed an aniversary a couple of years ago and when the dark brown stuff was about to hit the fan I was able act all affronted and say things like "I'd never forget something as special as that, I was just waiting for the right moment". Then bolt to the workshop, pull the pressy out of the protective garbage bag and bingo another bullet dodged.

skippa
15-07-2006, 03:01 PM
Shayned,

Geez be careful mate, she's still a member here, walls have ears ya know #::) #;D

Actually she wanted it for Xmas, but buggered if thats what I was going to get her for Xmas.
(I got standards ya know #;D ) I was driving past a camping store and they had a 20% off sale so I called in. It just happened to be the day before Valentines day. Maryanne came out on Valentines morning with a pressy and choc's for me and I'd forgotten ... bugger what to do??

Out to the garage I went to get her pressy, she was impressed with the size of the box anyway, kinda went downhill from there tho #:o

Maryanne's not one to be out done, so when B105 ran a comp to find Brisbanes most Unromantic Man, she saw her opportunatey. It's all very funny untill it goes public, after a coupla radio interviews and for 3 weeks I was the Butt (excuse the pun) of the Morning crews jokes.

At least I had the last laugh tho, won the week prize to a resort on the Sunshine coast and officially I'm Brisbane's most Unromantic Man 2006 winning a trip to Queenstown NZ.

There, its out in Ausfish land, as told by me and not that 'yellow sub' Haines owner .... #;) #;D

Cheers,
Tony # 8-)

shayned
15-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Classic Tony, classic ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

nigelr
15-07-2006, 07:20 PM
I don't know how or why these girls put up with us! ::)
There must be a lot of VERY unpleasant men out there! :o
Joni Mitchells' song - 'Don't it always seem to go........finish this line lads and think about it........ :(
Cheers gents and give thanks to all our (patient, understanding, long-suffering)lovely ladies!
We luvs ya's all!

bidkev
15-07-2006, 10:44 PM
;D ;D ;D

Good story Kev.

WTF are crampons ? :-/

Cheers

They're a set of spikes that you clamp to mountain boots. They help bite into the snow and ice to give you firmer grip........hung 'em up in the bedroom once, but the deckie wasn't game ;) ;D

kev

bidkev
15-07-2006, 10:51 PM
Kev, that was a magical, funny story that I too can relate to :)

You have a knack of telling it just so....... 8-)

It would be good if Mrs Kingtin joined the site, with maybe some tales of her own??? :-[
TOL

She's got plenty to tell TOl, but I'd hate you to see my dark side ;D

I tried to get her interested in computers once but when I mentioned floppies, software, and hard drive, she just fell about laughing and said something along the lines of me having more in common with the 2 former as opposed to the latter ::) :-/ :-/......can't for the life of me understand what she was getting at ;) ;D

kev

bidkev
15-07-2006, 10:54 PM
Interesting replies folks........just goes to show what a devious bunch of buggers us fishos are ;D

I've been thinking of a new rod for my birthday and have drooped "live fibre" into conversations with my deckie a few times lately........knowing her knowledge (or lack of it) of fishing tackle I'm betting I'll end up with a flouro vest ;D

kev

shayned
17-07-2006, 01:24 PM
As long as its not electrical cable in the bath tub........................ ;D

Dirtysanchez
17-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Tell her you are taking her on a cruise of the barrier reef, but book one of those 6 day mother ship charters off of Swains :D

You won't be lying, kind of, and you can do what you love = fishing !

Schweeeeeetttt !! 8-)

barfly
17-07-2006, 05:34 PM
I asked my dad what would you buy for a woman that had EVERYTHING.His prompt reply was PENASILUN..cheers barfly

Eagle
17-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Messed up the formatting

Eagle
17-07-2006, 07:02 PM
I showed Kingtins' story to my wife. She was NOT impressed.
Eagle

Eagle
17-07-2006, 07:03 PM
I am amazed that you (Kingtin) are still in one piece. Unless it's specificly requested, never buy your beloved, fishing gear or "manly" tools and equipment for a pressie to give her. Your precious wants something that is romantic and something that tells her that you love her more than ever before. There is a great book that you both can read. Its called "The Five languages of Love". As a Christian councelor I can highly recomend this book for everyone. I councel people who have marital problems, come from broken homes, those who want to commit suicide and the list goes on. The most prominent problem that I hear is that "my husband doesn't listen to me and never shows me how much he loves me." Did you know that a woman thinks more of you taking out the garbage bin than she does about getting dinner at a restraunt? If you want a fantastic and happy mariage, you need to follow the words of Christ when he said. "Love your wife even more than yourself and love her so much that you would die for her the same as I did for you". The book about the five love languages is available from almost any Christian Book store. You all need to read it.
Eagle

bidkev
18-07-2006, 10:02 AM
I am amazed that you (Kingtin) are still in one piece. Unless it's specificly requested, never buy your beloved, fishing gear or "manly" tools and equipment for a pressie to give her. Your precious wants something that is romantic and something that tells her that you love her more than ever before. There is a great book that you both can read. Its called "The Five languages of Love". As a Christian councelor I can highly recomend this book for everyone. I councel people who have marital problems, come from broken homes, those who want to commit suicide and the list goes on. The most prominent problem that I hear is that "my husband doesn't listen to me and never shows me how much he loves me." Did you know that a woman thinks more of you taking out the garbage bin than she does about getting dinner at a restraunt? If you want a fantastic and happy mariage, you need to follow the words of Christ when he said. "Love your wife even more than yourself and love her so much that you would die for her the same as I did for you". The book about the five love languages is available from almost any Christian Book store. You all need to read it.
Eagle

Eagle, what could be more romantic than sharing the love and passion of the piscatorial art with one's loved one? ;) ;D It may be just a rod and reel but it opens up the world to her........the world of angling has taken her to places that she once could never have dreamed of........anchored off Cape Moreton in 30ft of water so clear, that you can clearly see the wobbegongs lazily wafting along the crystal sea bed.........the delight of having a dolphin play in your wake as you motor along.......the whale breaching.......the Albatross circling...... The little feller screaming happily that he has a hook in his thumb ;D

As for, "my husband doesn't listen to me" My deckie runs 10k daily, pumps iron, has thighs like tree trunks, calves like bull's gonads and biceps like termite mounds.........when she talks, I listen for sure ::) If she says, "stop snoring" my only option is to stay awake all night ;D

The next time she asks me to take her out for a meal, I shall follow your advice and lovingly reply, "No my dear, we shall have a cosy night on the sofa and just to show you how much I love you, I'll just go put out the garbage" ;D.........my life wouldn't be worth living ::)

Actually, we've been here 11 yrs now and have never had a night out. We have no family support here and with a household that can sometimes have as many as 7 kids in it, I think it'll be sometime before we do. The surprising thing is, that neither of us feel like we're missing out on something........Fishing rod or bottle of perfume, reel or bracelet.......it matters not, as she knows how much I love her.

kev

shayned
18-07-2006, 10:20 AM
Eagle,
Appreciate the advice but I think you may have read too much into or maybe not enough into the posts that have been made in this string. Just my personal opinion. I do agree with one thing you said though, the same wise man (my dad) who teed me up, on the back up gift, gave me another sage bit of advice, "If things are a bit quiet on the bedroom front bugger the flowers and chocolates son, the deadset sexiest a bloke looks is when he's pushing a broom around the kitchen" #;) ;)
Now back to the laughs and fishing.
Shayne

bidkev
18-07-2006, 10:38 AM
<snip> the deadset sexiest a bloke looks is when he's pushing a broom around the kitchen" ;) ;)

Shayne

Wearing nothing other than a leather apron ;D

kev

shayned
18-07-2006, 10:47 AM
<snip> the deadset sexiest a bloke looks is when he's pushing a broom around the kitchen" #;) ;)

Shayne

kev

Funny Kev and damn close, the missus is a Scot and prefers her leather in the shape of a sporran. You'll no believe the hours of fun I've had with nought more than a sporran an' a wee brrrroom!! ;D ;D ;D

jim_farrell
18-07-2006, 10:47 AM
All my new reals get spooled with pink line, before I wrap them for her. :)
Jim

bidkev
18-07-2006, 10:56 AM
<snip> the deadset sexiest a bloke looks is when he's pushing a broom around the kitchen" ;) ;)

Shayne

kev

Funny Kev and damn close, the missus is a Scot and prefers her leather in the shape of a sporran. You'll no believe the hours of fun I've had with nought more than a sporran an' a wee brrrroom!! ;D ;D ;D

I bet that tickles yer fancy! ;D

shayned
18-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Only if ye puts the sporran on back to front, if ye ken!!!