PDA

View Full Version : Electric motor trouble

Sean
17-07-2006, 02:52 PM
I have a minnkota 40lb thrust electric.

My problem is the turn screw that tightens the tension of the steering was only into nylon (GOOD ONE!!) so as a reasult the thread was stripped(GOOD ONE) and I can no longer get tension on my steering which means I need to constantly hold it when the motor is on. Any suggestions as to how to fix this problem.

So far I have drilled out the hole to a bigger DIA. and flush mounted the correct sized Stainless nut, I then araldited it in. As soon as I put pressure on the nut the araldite let go. If you want to help and don't get it I can take more pics if need be.....a little anoying considering they have a nut in the other fitting standard. Sean :)

Sean
17-07-2006, 02:58 PM
The contersunk nut with the screw. This is just sitting in there (tight) and can be removed.

Sean
17-07-2006, 03:03 PM
The hole with the nut removed :)OOPS no pic :-[

Sean
17-07-2006, 03:03 PM
The hole with the nut removed :)

Sean
17-07-2006, 03:05 PM
one more view. Any help appreciated. Surely a few others have had this trouble. Sean :)

way_out_bush
17-07-2006, 05:19 PM
G,Day Sean, I would try the loctite super glue. I have used it on a variety of things and have found it to be the best.

JACKO_226
17-07-2006, 05:25 PM
hi sean
my Dad fixed a boat and used a two pack called technie glue and it is quite strong
jacko

SunnyCoastMark
17-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Hey Sean,
I would get a bit of 2mm - 2.5mm stainless sheet metal.
Shape it so it fits the outside of moulded bracket.

Drill a hole throgh the middle big enough to clear the tensioner screw thread.

Then have the nut (stainless) welded to the stainless steel bracket (over the hole), which you can in turn screw or glue to the plastic molded bracket.

If done properly - this should last you longer than the original.

Cheers,
Mark

Poseidon
18-07-2006, 08:46 AM
I know the problem you are faced with, I had the same motor and was forever worried about stripping out the thread.

Not sure if this would work however, try placing a narrower diameter piece of dowel or nylon rod in place of where the bolt presently sits. This new rod could be held tight against the motor shaft by a hose clamp that you could apply enough pressure on to hold this make shift brake in place.

The resistance this may offer to the motor shaft may be just enough to work for you. I have not tried this so not 100% sure if it would work.

It may be a pain when you need to lift the motor, however a turn on the hose clamp may get the shaft out of the water.

Regards Cameron.

BrandonH
18-07-2006, 01:46 PM
your nut looks very rusty mate, I would clean it up b4 trying anything and check that it can screw in and out without any friction/biting into the nut. the arildite should work ok but if not try some locktight 401, don't use too much and keep it in the takle box for gluing your barra knots perfect ;)

second thought, maybe a bigger nut and locking screw? if you get the next size up nut it should sit alot snugger in the stripped hole, this should give you less movement for the nut to work loose. I have the same motor but have never had that problem yet (touch wood!!) but i do have the problem of the pin slipping out and having the motor wobbling along!! i changed how my safty rope is attached after finding this out :( i think it happened when i was seeing how the motor would travel on the boat when driving to the ramp, i think it puts too much pressure on the hinges and pin so i don't do it anymore and take the extra 10mins mounting it each trip. let me know if you are still having problems and i will have a good look at mine and see what options are available. I know the replacment brackets arn't cheap >:( I was looking into getting one of the new metal ones but not worth it.

Cheers
Brandon...

Sean
18-07-2006, 08:17 PM
The hose clamp around the whole screw and everything how it is might be an idea too. For a while i took a small clamp with me and clamped the screw tight in. Worked but was a pain in the ass. Can you get hose clamps with a wing-nut type tightener? I'll keep losing my screwdriver if that's what I need. :) Thanks so far guys, Sean....these glue's, are they better than Araldite? I thought that was the best.

blaze
18-07-2006, 09:04 PM
get your self a stainless hose clamp and get a washer tig welded into the screwdrive slot
cheers
blaze