PDA

View Full Version : Trailer washing clarification

bidkev
27-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Spoke at great length with SEQ water and this seems to be the best that you are likely to get.

I made the point that the general rule regarding safety exemptions wasn't clear enough in regards to what could be classed as safety and they quite rightly stated that it would be impossible to list all safety exemptions.

The attitude of the person that I spoke to is that *you* had the right to consider what was safe, and that the onus is on you, to use your hose in respect of negating any unsafe situations that you would place yourself in if you otherwise didn't use your hose. It was agreed (verbally) that springs wheels and brakes would likely be rendered unsafe by attempting to wash via a bucket so yeah, it's ok to use a hose/gurney but should you encounter a water insprector then it is up to you to argue that point with him, and if he disagrees then you could appeal his decision which may well then lead to something being put in writing (preceedent) in support of boaties

I for one am going to use the gurney to wash the springs etc.

HTH those who are unclear.

kev

charleville
27-06-2006, 09:49 AM
Thanks Kev.

Still too uncertain for most people, I reckon. I will certainly be washing my brakes etc and that will be be for all the public to see at a boat ramp.

I wonder if Dave Downie might get the mayor on his 4BC program and get a clarification from him. Once he commits himself on air, it will be in the public domain.

The mayor has been on Colin Campbell's gardening show immediately after Nugget's show and has copped some stick in relation to the elderley having to carry buckets and/or hose in unsafe hours plus the impact on the nursery industry and related industries so he may be a bit gunshy but no politician should turn down a chance to create clarity around such an issue.

I shall PM Nugget on this...

Tinn
27-06-2006, 11:06 AM
We could always just start dunking our whole trailers in the rich peoples swimming pools as they are allowed to fill the pool with a hose ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

tug_tellum
27-06-2006, 05:26 PM
unfortunately the rich people have salt water pools ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dignity
27-06-2006, 05:40 PM
Kev, my response from the Brisbane City Council today on this issue, "Cleaning of brakes and brake drums are considered a safety issue, accordingly no water restrictions apply and you may use a hose, or more appropriate a high pressure cleaner or orther means to ensure thata the brakes are clean and working correctly."

It took 3 emails to get this in writing. The first response was a general one and I queried that and got another one back that basically ignored any safety matters but more or less said "tough - all 4x4 owners, boat owners and caravan owner across brisbane were in a similar position" but I kept persisting and finally got the above response.

Hopr this helps.

sam

Dignity
27-06-2006, 05:43 PM
#I will certainly be washing my brakes etc and that will be be for all the public to see at a boat ramp.

Charleville - providing it is only used for the brakes and flushing of the motor (2 -3 mins I was quoted) you won't have an issue.

I am going top laminate my response in above post and stick it to the boat whenever I am washing either item. #If anybody wishes to comment I will just silently point to it.

sam

NeilD
27-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Sam

Any chance of copying your response here so we have something to beat the water inspector around the ears with? No use all hasseling the BCC if you have the response we want

Neil

charleville
27-06-2006, 07:24 PM
my response from the Brisbane City Council today on this issue, "Cleaning of brakes and brake drums are considered a safety issue, accordingly no water restrictions apply and you may use a hose, or more appropriate a high pressure cleaner or orther means to ensure thata the brakes are clean and working correctly."

It took 3 emails to get this in writing. #

Well done, Sam! This helps a lot. A cut and paste of letter/email would be great to see on this site, please. No need to show your private email address - delete that bit - just show us date and time and the text and who it was from.

Many thanks.....

Dignity
27-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Neil, Charleville - the email was sent to my office - I will post it tomorrow night - may not be till late though.

sam

Spaniard_King
27-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the info guys

cheers

Garry

Lucky_Phill
27-06-2006, 10:15 PM
Due to copyright laws, it would be unwise to copy and paste any part of an email here in the public forum. I would suggest that anyone wanting this, get it pm'd to them.

This is to the best of my knowledge.

Phill

( the fun police ) ::)

gif
28-06-2006, 07:39 AM
Phill

where did you get that idea?

A letter or email sent to me is not copywrite. Nor is it confidential It is my "posession" and I am free to cite it in whole or in part.

I deal with this sort of topic at Uni - studenst referencing texts etc.

So please post it. Or if Phill has you scarred send it to me and I will post it and bear all the (non existant) risk

Gary

CHRIS_aka_GWH
28-06-2006, 08:58 AM
Phill

where did you get that idea?

A letter or email sent to me is not copywrite. # Nor is it confidential # #It is my "posession" and I am free to cite it in whole or in part.

I deal with this sort of topic at Uni - studenst referencing texts etc.

So please post it. #Or if Phill has you scarred send it to me and I will post it and bear all the (non existant) risk

Gary

gary,

with respect, I too deal with the same & I believe Phillip has a point. Although copyright is less the question rather its confidentiality.

An email is a very different animal to a text.

A text is intended by its publisher for the public forum and has a blurb with respect to copying and distribution verbatim agreed to by the reader simply by #the act of possession. In fact most modern countries have default copyright laws that enable ANY publication protection against unauthorised copying and distribution.

An email is a private communication. It depends on the blurb usually at the tail end of the email. Most expressly forbid distribution.

eg. a recent blurb at the tail of an email from LCC to me .

The sending and receiving of electronic messages by public authorities

in the course of business are public records and MUST be captured,

managed and retained in a Records Management System.

Electronic messages, like records in other formats, are subject to

legislative requirements.

This email has been scanned and found to be free of all known viruses.

This e-mail, including any attachments, is confidential to the intended recipient. It may also be privileged. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of the e-mail. Any confidentiality or privilege is not waived. Neither the Council nor the sender warrant that this e-mail does not contain any viruses or other unsolicited content.

This e-mail is an informal Council communication. The Council only accepts responsibility for information sent under official letterhead and duly signed by, or on behalf of, the Chief Executive Officer.

The public record bit doesn't mean confidentiality and privilege is waived. It means the council can use the communication as a record of action if required.

Also note the Chief Executive Officer's signature bit. Regardless of what an email says the "Council only accepts responsibility for information sent under official letterhead and duly signed by, or on behalf of, the Chief Executive Officer. ". # ::)

Protocol would suggest a PR / media spokesperson from the council either post a response or send one intended for distribution in the form of a media release.

The non-academic side of me says POST THE DAMN THING TO KEEP THE B@ST@RDS HONEST and make sure the person who gave the advice gives someone their name (but don't post it unless they are a publically elected official).

chris

gruntahunter
28-06-2006, 11:12 AM
And lets not forget each council , whether city or shire, has their own bi laws with regard to everything, so just because it is ok in brisbane it might not be alright in in pine rivers or toowoomba for examples.

As for "rich" people with pools as mentioned above by Tinn, and I do realize it was said with tongue firmly planted in cheek, we can only top up our pools on certain days so if applying his phylosophy then only use ur trailer on days when u can hose ur brakes which is the same day that you can top up ur pool . ;D ;D ;D

gif
28-06-2006, 11:39 AM
I have written to every Council and have a reply from Sunwater and 3 councils so far.

Watch this space #

Copywrite: #The Commonwealth laws allow reasonable citation and to photo copy a reasonable amount (e.g. 1 chapter of a book) # etc

I hardly think its confidential - especially if it is an interpretation of the law or regulations. #The part of the reply that interests us contains no personal or confidential information.

There is a principle that ignorance is no excuse under the law (i.e. #"I didn’t know that was a law” is no excuse.) # It follows that publicizing the rulings can never be against the law.

The Courts themselves publicize the details of legal judgements.

Where the email statement is in red #“ confidential to the recipient” # that phrase is to cover the email ( or fax) going to the wrong person. # # It does not bind the intended recipient to keeping confidence. # #Nor could it even if they wanted to.

In any case problem solved #- I will post it all when I get it.

Gary

PS - if I'm wrong will you visit me in jail please?

gif
28-06-2006, 11:45 AM
a BIG thanks to BoatClub for doing all this work.

Tony Goodhew Coordinator, Regional Demand Management SEQWATER gets 3 cheers as well. He has been very helpful practical and very easy to work with.

Dear Mr Cullen

Thank you for your email directed through Brisbane City Council dated 16 June 2006 concerning the cleaning of boating equipment under level 3 water restrictions.

Under level 3 water restrictions, cleaning of boats and trailers by the owner is only permitted with buckets of water filled directly from a tap. The use of hoses for cleaning boats and trailers is prohibited.

However, the level 3 restrictions contain provisions to apply where there is a risk to health and safety. The safety provisions would apply to the proper maintenance of equipment such as boat trailers (Brakes, Springs) for safety purposes (and not the general washing of trailers). However, water efficient practices (such as high pressure cleaners) should be used and the judicious use of water should be observed at all times.

There are a number of other alternatives to clean boating equipment worth consideration including:

· Use of fixed or mobile commercial cleaning services

· Application of rust proofing paints and water proofing material

· Electronic rust protection systems.

The suitability of these and other options will depend on the individual and their needs.

Flushing of boat motors should be undertaken according to the manufacturer’s recommendations, however the owner should give consideration to using as little potable water as is practicable for the purpose, as well as the feasibility of recycling water for other purposes.

SEQWater thanks you for taking the time to write with your concerns and wishes you every success in developing cleaning solutions to support the boating community.

Regards,

Tony Goodhew
Coordinator, Regional Demand Management

SEQWATER

gif
28-06-2006, 11:53 AM
This one calls for "manufacturers recommendations. "

In any case brakes are "safety" IMHO

** High Priority **

Message for Gary Fooks:

Dear Gary,

Thank you for your email. I have included some advice on cleaning of boat and boat trailer under Level 3 Water restrictions.

General Cleaning

Under level 3 water restrictions, cleaning of boats and trailers by the owner is only permitted with buckets of water filled directly from a tap.

Boat Motors

Flushing of boat motors should be undertaken according to the manufacturer's recommendations, however the owner should give consideration to using as little potable water as is practicable for the purpose, as well as the feasibility of recycling water for other purposes.

Suggested method for flushing salt from boat motor:
wash motor completely with a sponge and bucket of water filled from tap rinse motor with hose with trigger nozzle connect hose directly to motor or via ear muffs to flush internals of motor for the prescribed time recommended by the manufacturer (this is usually a period of between 2 - 3 minutes)

Boat Trailers - Safety (e.g. as a result of contact with salt water)

The level 3 restrictions contain provisions to apply where there is a risk to health and safety. The safety provisions would apply to the proper maintenance of equipment such as boat trailers for safety purposes in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations. However, water efficient practices (such as high pressure cleaners) should be used and the careful use of water should be observed at all times.

There are a number of other alternatives to clean boating equipment worth consideration including:

Use of fixed or mobile commercial cleaning services (some locations have a mobile unit to cater for large vehicles) Application of rust proofing paints and water proofing material Electronic rust protection systems.
The suitability of these and other options will depend on the individual and their needs.

Kind regards

Lisa

Customer Service Consultant
Customer Contact Centre
Pine Rivers Shire Council
220 Gympie Road
Strathpine Q 4500
Ph: 3480 6666
Fax: 3480 6405

Find out more about our shire at www.pinerivers.qld.gov.au

This electronic mail message is intended only for the addressee and may contain confidential information.
If you are not the addressee, you are notified that any transmission, distribution or photocopying of this email is strictly prohibited. The confidentiality attached to this email is not waived, lost or destroyed by reasons of a mistaken delivery and Council does not accept responsibility for the accuracy of the message. The information contained in this email transmission may also be subject to Freedom of Information legislation.

gif
28-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Caboolture Council first gave me a pat answer - ignoring the specific question of brakes.

So I went back and got the supervisors reply below:

Sent: Wednesday, 28 June 2006 9:44 AM
To: g.fooks@uq.net.au
Subject: RE: Question in relation to the hosing of boat and engine

Gary, it is regarded as a safety factor - so it is totally acceptable to wash trailer brakes and bearings.
Regards
Karen Williams
Team Leader
Customer Service Unit.

charleville
28-06-2006, 12:05 PM
This is excellent work. Many thanks to Gary Fooks, Dignity and Kingtin for taking the lead on this. Well done, fellas! :) :) :) :) :)

BrandonH
28-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Good stuff everyone!!!!!! Will be printing the SEQ email off just in case ;)

Cheers
Brandon...

gif
28-06-2006, 02:51 PM
Sent: Wednesday, 28 June 2006 2:40 PM
Subject: Boat Trailer

Dear Mr Fooks,
No restrictions apply in the event of or where risk of an accident, fire, hazard to health, safety, or environment, or as part of residential activity.
In this case you are permitted to flush using a high pressure washing unit or a hose with a trigger nozzle, to flush the salt water from the brakes, bearings and axle on your boat trailer.
This flushing should be only for a limited time only and any excess use of the hose would be inappropriate. #
Regards
Joanne Antcliff
Administration Officer
Water & Sewerage
PH #5540 5176
FAX 5540 5103
joanne.a@bsc.qld.gov.au

gruntahunter
28-06-2006, 03:28 PM
very nice work gary and thankyou :)

Dignity
28-06-2006, 06:28 PM
As promised here are the pertinent passages from my correspondence with the BCC. I have excluded names of Call Centre Staff etc as a courtesy to them and any reference codes. I will give you the first and third response only as the second one did not give any additional value to this forum.

Subject: BCC online request reference number OR99999999 for SEQ Drought -
Brisbane / Water Conservation

Dear xxxxxxx,

Thank you for submitting your request to Brisbane City Council regarding SEQ
Drought - Brisbane.

The use of water to clean a boat trailer under level 3 water restrictions is
limited to cleaning with buckets of water filled directly from a tap.
Residents across Brisbane face similar issues with their 4 wheel drives,
trailers, trucks and caravans. You may wish to consider other options not
only with buckets and cleaning brushes but high pressure hoses available at
commercial cleaning bays often co-located with Service Stations and if
practicable and safe, the use of vehicle ramps to provide easier access to
confined parts of the trailer. No water restrictions apply in the event of
health and safety issues and no consent or application is required to
Council for those events.

Boat motors are to have the outsides washed with a sponge and bucket filled
from a tap. To flush internals of motor connect hose directly to motor or
via ear muffs for the prescribed time recommended by the manufacturer (this
is usually a period of between 2 - 3 minutes).

If you have any further Brisbane City Council enquiries, please access the
Contact Information page available from the Home Page at
www.brisbane.qld.gov.au or phone our 24 hour Contact Centre on (07) 3403

Final details
Subject: RE: BCC online request reference number OR99999999 for SEQ Drought - Brisbane/Water Conservation

Dear xxxxxxx,

Thank you for submitting your enquiry to Brisbane City Council.

Cleaning of brakes and brake drums are considered a safety issue, accordingly no water restrictions apply and you may use a hose, or more appropriate a high pressure cleaner or other means to ensure that the brakes are clean and working correctly.

If you have any further Brisbane City Council enquiries, please access the Contact Information page available from the Home Page at www.brisbane.qld.gov.au or phone our 24 hour Contact Centre on (07) 3403 8888.

Yours faithfully,

xxxxxxx
Customer Contact Centre
Reference: xxxxx
------------------------------
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
BRISBANE QLD 4001 AUSTRALIA
http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/
Telephone +61 7 3403 8888
TTY Phone +61 7 3403 8422
Facsimile +61 7 3403 9944
As part of the Regional Drought Strategy, Brisbane City Council is encouraging all residents to save water now.

For more water saving tips and water restrictions, visit www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/brisbanewater or call 1300 789 906.

Except as required at law, Brisbane City Council does not represent, warrant and/or guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor that the communication is free of errors, virus, interception or interference.

While care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this communication, Brisbane City Council, its Councillors, officers, employees, consultants and agents accept no responsibility for any errors or for any consequence of its use. Any action taken, or omission made by a user or other person in reliance of this information is taken or made at the sole risk and expense of that person. No person should rely on the contents of this communication for the purpose of ascertaining the legal rights or obligations of any person or for any other purpose without first obtaining legal or other relevant professional advice.

Dignity
28-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Note: In the BCC footnote repeated below it is interesting that it does not refer to any copyright or communication to other parties.

Except as required at law, Brisbane City Council does not represent, warrant and/or guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor that the communication is free of errors, virus, interception or interference.

While care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this communication, Brisbane City Council, its Councillors, officers, employees, consultants and agents accept no responsibility for any errors or for any consequence of its use. Any action taken, or omission made by a user or other person in reliance of this information is taken or made at the sole risk and expense of that person. No person should rely on the contents of this communication for the purpose of ascertaining the legal rights or obligations of any person or for any other purpose without first obtaining legal or other relevant professional advice.

charleville
28-06-2006, 08:05 PM
Note: In the BCC footnote repeated below it is interesting that it does not refer to any copyright or communication to other parties.

...and neither should it. #The issue of copyright would be a significant issue in relation to issues that are commercial-in-confidence or internal emails that may be used inappropriately but these emails are simply responding to enquiries from the public re policy and as such they should be completely open to all. #That is, they are in the public interest.

A personal observation after a lifetime managing people is that so often people are so intimidated and confused by the restrictions placed on them as they go through life from pre-school and all the way up into the work place, that they are more often to be found to be looking for the green light to tell them that it is ok to do something than the red light telling them that they should not be doing something. #That is, if there are no traffic lights at an intersection, why look to see if there is a green light that allows us to proceed. #Nike is a much better philosophy, I reckon.

gif
30-06-2006, 03:40 PM
-----Original Message-----
From: Kylie Neuendorf [mailto:KNeuendorf@ipswich.qld.gov.au]
Sent: Friday, 30 June 2006 2:41 PM
Subject: Re: boat trailer and Level 3 water restrictions

With regards to the washing of the trailer, Level 3 water restrictions
state "no restrictions apply in the even of or where there is risk of an
accident, fire, hazard to health, safety or environment or as part of
residential construction activity". Therefore, if you feel this is
within this area, then no restrictions apply.

Regards

Kylie Neuendorf
Administrative Assistant
Ipswich Water
3810 7855

gif
01-07-2006, 07:24 AM
After 5 emails and 2 phone calls Brisbane got it right at last:

-----Original Message-----
From: BCC Internet Enquiries [mailto:ENQUIRIES@brisbane.qld.gov.au]
Sent: Saturday, 1 July 2006 7:13 AM
To: Gary Fooks
Subject: RE: BCC online request reference number OR21206038 for Water Conservation / Water Conservation

Dear Gary,

Thank you for submitting your enquiry to Brisbane City Council
regarding water restrictions.

My Operations Manager has advised me that this matter has been
discussed and clarified with you.

To summarise, the cleaning of boat trailer brakes is considered a
safety issue and is therefore exempt from the water restrictions. It is
important to note that whilst a hose can be used to flush the brakes, it
can not be used to wash or clean the remainder of the boat and/or
trailer.

A reminder regarding this level of detail has been forwarded to all BCC
Contact Centre staff.

If you have any further Brisbane City Council enquiries, please access
the Contact Information page available from the Home Page at
www.brisbane.qld.gov.au or phone our 24 hour Contact Centre on (07)
3403 8888.

Yours faithfully,

Bonita
Customer Contact Centre
Officer Code: ccc76
------------------------------
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
BRISBANE QLD 4001 AUSTRALIA
http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/
Telephone +61 7 3403 8888
TTY Phone +61 7 3403 8422
Facsimile +61 7 3403 9944

Murks
03-07-2006, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the informative responses.
Its something that has been bothering since the level three restrictions came in.
Happy Boating,
Murks

gif
04-07-2006, 05:55 AM
Sent: Monday, 3 July 2006 4:58 PM
Subject: Boat trailers Under Level 3 Water Restrictions

Good Afternoon Mr Fooks
Thankyou for your email dated 28 June 2006 wherein you discuss the washing of boat trailers under level 3 restrictions.
You can use a high pressure cleaning unit for key mechanical items such as springs and brakes. Any external surfaces should be washed with a sponge and bucket of water filled from a tap.
Kind regards
Tammy Stevenson
Business Support Coordinator
Logan Water Administration
Phone: 61-7-3826 5356 Fax: 61-7-3808 0014
E-mail: mailto:tamarastevenson@logan.qld.gov.au
Web: http://www.logan.qld.gov.au
http://www.loganwater.com.au

Freeeedom
04-07-2006, 07:41 AM
But can you fill a bucket from the tap and then run your high pressure water cleaner from the bucket?
Cheers Freeeedom

gif
06-07-2006, 12:19 PM
Sent: Thursday, 6 July 2006 10:35 AM
Subject: FW: Boat trailers Under Level 3 Water Restrictions

Mr Fooks,

Yes, you can use a hose to flush your brakes on safety grounds, however, it is recommended that a high pressure water cleaning unit be used as it is more efficient.

Regards,
David Kelloway
Senior Financial Controller
LOGAN WATER
Tel: (07) 3826 5564 Fax: (07) 3808 0014
Email: davidkelloway@logan.qld.gov.au

Murks
06-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Has there been any correspondence on Motor Flushing??
Cheers,
Murks

jim_likes_2_fish
06-07-2006, 04:31 PM
Thanks to everyone for the hard work done on the subject. :)

Dignity
06-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Has there been any correspondence on Motor Flushing??
Cheers,
Murks
Murks - that was covered very early in the thread. 2 - 3 mins or according to manufactureers recommendations. This raises an intersting point as I was out on the weekend, come home and tried to flush the motor with the muffs and kept a careful eye on the tem guage. 3 minutes later and the temp hadn't really reached operating temperature (this was a good hour after I had left the water). So do I shut down as the motor or what. There will have been a section in the head that hadn't had fresh water circulating through. At this stage I haven't put Gary's method into practise (although it is ready for the next trip, thanks again Gary for your pics ) so I wonder if the temp guage is good eough to win a legal argument on.
sam

gif
06-07-2006, 08:46 PM
Hi

Flushing was covered under Stage 2 and again in Stage 3 #

"According to the manufacturers recommendations" #overrides the 3 minute suggestion,

So #- bad luck guys # - we may have to actiually read the manual. (where did I put it?)

G

Chris_Riethmuller
07-07-2006, 10:05 AM
Freeeedom,
I emailed Redcliffe council and got this reply, it didn't really answer my question fully, so I rang and they confirmed on the phone that I can use a preasure cleaner out of a bucket or hooked up to the tap to remove salt from the trailer and boat, i will try to get this in writing also.

(REPLY FROM COUNCIL)

Chris

Thank you for your enquiry.

The current SEQ Level 3 water restrictions for residential use indicate that boats can be done at any time but only by a bucket filled directly from a tap.
However there has been a determination from SEQWater Corp that a water efficient device such as a high pressure cleaning unit with a trigger nozzle is permitted for cleaning boats and trailers subjected to saltwater.
#It is further recommended that other preventative actions such as the application of a temporary biodegradable protective coating be applied, sealing of trailer frames and fittings, provision of rainwater tanks as source water and washing over lawns are considered. #It is also permitted to use "ear muffs" on outboard motors for flushing in accordance with manufacturers instructions. #Usually 2 to 3 minutes is sufficient and this can be checked by testing the discharge water for any increase in temperature.

I have also heard of people using high pressure cleaners straight out of a 20L bucket for washing boats.

Should you require any further clarification or assistance please contact me.
Regards
Phil Johnson
Technical Officer Water & Sewerage
P - 3283 0471
F - 3883 1723
M - 0409 628 411
E - phil_johnson@redcliffe.qld.gov.au

(ORIGINAL QUESTION)
To whom it may concern,
# # # Last weekend after being out in my boat I was washing my boat with a Bucket as per the regulations, when it came time to rinse off the soapy water I found that splashing water out of a bucket appeared to be very wasteful as my boat is quite a large one I would have used 10 x 20ltr buckets.
Is there any reason that I can't fill up my bucket out of a tap and then use my pressure cleaner to suck out of the bucket as this would be much more water efficient, I have done a test with this and found i would at the most use 2 - 3 buckets. I am sure that saving 140+ litres would have to warrant using a pressure cleaner but could someone please clarify this for me.

Regards Chris

gif
07-07-2006, 10:17 AM
The actual SEQ Water response is in one of my earlier posts

Gary

Dignity
07-07-2006, 05:56 PM
Hi

Flushing was covered under Stage 2 and again in Stage 3 #

"According to the manufacturers recommendations" #overrides the 3 minute suggestion,

So #- bad luck guys # - we may have to actiually read the manual. #(where did I put it?)

G
Manual? What manual. The bloke I boat the boat off didn't have one either. Guess I better chase 1 up somewhere?

Cheech
07-07-2006, 08:36 PM
As long as you are responsible and reasonable with your flush times, I would not get too concerned of 3 minutes or 5 minutes etc. Unnless you had an inspector at your house (or wherever you flush) with a stopwatch.......

Leads to the next question, who can actually bust you, and what proof would be required. Surely could not just be from a complaint as that would be one persons word against another.

Would be the same question if someone hosed their boat.

Not that I am encouraging anyone to break any rule.

gif
21-07-2006, 06:04 PM
proving that life is slower on the Gold Coast - here is their reply after 23 days ( an dthey have it wrong)

Dear Gary

Firstly may we apologise for the delay in answering your email regarding the washing of your boat trailer. Under the current Level 3 Water Restrictions you are able to carry out the following:

Cleaning Boat Trailers: Permitted with a high pressure cleaner only - cleaning of the axles, brakes and bearings.

Cleaning of boats: Permitted (anytime) - only with buckets filled directly from the tap.

Flushing of boat motors: Permitted - for 5 min or as recommended by the manufacturer.

Filling of fixed boat water tanks: Permitted - can be filled with a hand held hose fitted with a trigger or twist nozzle.

If you have any further queries contact Gold Coast Water Customer Contact Centre on 1300 366 692 or via email waterinfo@goldcoastwater.com.au

Regards

Team Leader Customer Contact Centre

Gold Coast Water
Telephone: 1300 366 692
Facsimile: 07 5582 8021
PO Box 5042 Gold Coast MC Qld 9729
Email: waterinfo@goldcoastwater.com.au www.goldcoastwater.com.au

Dignity
21-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Gary, one would have thought the councils all had acces to the same source but appears not. - GCCC seem to think that axles more important than the springs :-/ :-/ As an aside I have made a container similar to one you made as I found a spare 40 litre drum and some fiitings at home. Will be trying it out on the motor next weekend as the MD as me doing chores at the moment. Have you found the lack of water pressure any problems in flushing this way.

sam

Hornblower
21-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Gary is right, I used to work for an organisation with the same sort of blurb that LCC had at the end of it's e-mails and a couple of e-mails were posted on a particular site. A legal opinion was obtained from an office of Qld's leading solicitors (which cost in excess of $1500 of public money) and it was stated that nothing could be done to pursue the matter.

In any case there are certain exemptions from copyright of which most private or public communications are almost certainly exempt. It also has to be regarded in the spirit of the law, and for instances of public information no local authority would pursue any such communication, just be sure that what is posted is accurate and in the spirit of the original communication.

As for confidentiality, can't agree with you Chris, there is very little that can be done, it can be preferred that an e-mail remain confidential and internal disciplinary measures can be taken within an organisation, but once you are outside of that organisation then you are not bound by their confidentiality clauses. The are exceptions of course, such as things like the "Official Secrets Act" (I think it is called - but I may may confused with the UK Act), and some relevant federal and state acts, mainly dealing with informants and agents. Of course, you have to be careful is in relation to defamation or liable (spoken or written comments), but I don't think that any person can claim their character has been damaged by the mere reciting of an interpretation of local laws. It would be a very fragile ego if it were to happen.

As for the comments in relation to the Chief Executive at the end of the e-mail, that in no way indemnifies the LCC if the wrong advice is issued via e-mail. Most of these statements are bluffs on the part of the LCC, but they are also good advice as well.

Cheers,

PS: As for me, I will be cleaning my trailer tomorrow with the high pressuare cleaner knowing what has been said on this thread, thanks Kev and Gary for clarifying it. ;) ;)

gif
22-07-2006, 06:33 AM
Sam

The water pressure is plenty OK - maybe down a little from when its in a tub but clearly not going to cause problems.

I hve had to adjust the muffs so they are on the "sweet spot" an dmake sure teh lid is loose so you dont get air lock. This is on a 9.8 4 stroke.

Raising the tank will give more pressure ( and sore arms)

Give it a go at home before you go- thats the best idea.

Let us know your results.

Gary

Bundy_Burp
22-07-2006, 11:36 AM
Boy oh boy talk aboat a lot of information I think I'll print out all the letters and if I caught washing the trailer I'll just give the inspector all the letters and let him sort it out . If it gives him as big a headache reading them all as it gave me I'll be very happy .