PDA

View Full Version : 1770 spread

stinky
18-07-2006, 11:09 AM
New mag out called Australian Adventure Angler, I see a good spread there on 1770 area with some nice estuary fish photographed, one thing I did notice is that they are all out of the same boat! Can anyone reconise this boat? is the boat a local guide? if so they might be able to help me when I go there next month for a fish. Is this Hooked On 1770 Adventure Tours?
Any info would be great

Ozwald
18-07-2006, 07:21 PM
G'day Stinky
I havent seen the article or the magazine but I can vouch for Hooked on 1770 tours. I've fished with Damian four or five times and he has always put me onto good fish; even when most people were blanking. he is also very reasonable when it comes to cost.
He runs flat bottomed canoes which can get into the headwaters of the area and can also get around to various holes at low tide.
regards
Oz

agnes_jack
19-07-2006, 07:47 AM
Yeah Damian is a top fella, you could not meet a nicer bloke, and he will often put you onto good fish when everyone else thinks the place is shut down. I would highly recomend him to anyone who wants to save time and learn the local tactics. He offers tours on several of the local creeks and estuarys, and can get you into places that most of the locals have never even seen.

If anyone wants his details, just shoot me a PM.

Regards, Tony

stinky
19-07-2006, 09:20 PM
Got hold of Damian from the magazine. He says next month big flatty should be coming into the creek and a good season has already started with these fish. Sounds like I might be going to middle and pancake creek, looking forward to learning some new SP techniques.

Oz, where have you been with Damian and how did you go? Any pics?

agnes_jack
22-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Hey stinky here are a few photo,s from a bit of a run I did with damien a while back.
As Damian said the big flatties start to come in at this time of year, last year we had them up to 1004 mm. Damian has already been getting a few up to 800mm +. About a week ago we saw a stack of them in one area up to 950mm. Remember to release all the big girls!!!

agnes_jack
22-07-2006, 01:30 PM
Not too many people get into some of these spots

agnes_jack
22-07-2006, 01:31 PM
You can just about smell the fishing

agnes_jack
22-07-2006, 01:33 PM
There are some very isolated places that Damien can get you to

agnes_jack
22-07-2006, 01:34 PM
We had to drag the canoes thru the snags in the last photo to get further up

agnes_jack
22-07-2006, 01:36 PM
Ahhhhhh 1770. Only local knowledge will allow you to get into spots like these. Most rarely visited, and fished even less!!!!

agnes_jack
22-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Barra and jack country. Once again only a canoe can access some of these spots.
Just a few shots, there are many, many spots like these, no road access, too tight for tinnies.

stinky
22-07-2006, 04:37 PM
It appears that Damian has got new canoes
The artical shows green ones, or does he use those ones in your photos to get in the more remote area's?

Looking foward to landing one of the larger lizards as my largest is only a mere 52cm anything above that size would be great, but 90cm plus that is a dinosaur... never seen one that big.... hope the conditions are in my favour for the weekend that I am coming up.

Agnes Jack (Damian Hooked On 1770) said flatty are the go next month.

Forgot to ask him about the Jack and Barra! when do they start to kick about in that country you have just shown in those pics?

Is it fresh or salt?

agnes_jack
22-07-2006, 05:21 PM
Stinky
It is salt, but goes to brakish above the rock bar there (first photo's). Damian is correct in saying they are the go next month, from now on they start to build in numbers and peak in about sept with the big girls gathering towards the front of the estuary's. I must say that this year things are slightly different with a lot of fish for some reason. Stuff like the marlin around the headland are showing a few months earlier than normal, and last week I saw a few groups of flathead sitting together in dips between the rocky areas, like they normally do at breeding time (4or5 fish all virtually laying on top of eachother)
This normally occurs closer to sept. The jacks seem to be a little more active at the moment than is normal for this time of year as well. Normally the jacks are getting active in the sept period as well. Prime times for barra and jacks are usually around the begining of Oct thru to about March- April. (closed season for barra starts on the first day of Nov- till the first day of Feb) Call in and say g'day when you arrive up here Stinky and I will give you some more detailed info.

Regards, Tony ;)

P.S. I think Damian still has the old canoes but mainly uses the new ones (that he made himself) now.