PDA

View Full Version : who's going to river fire

cruiser42
22-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Were heading up the river this year to check out the fire works, is any one else heading up? There will be in our group a 45ft flybridge cruiser, 32 ft mustang and comming up the rear is little old me in a 5.4m allycraft cuddy cab. See you there. Dave ;D

marlinqld
22-07-2006, 11:31 AM
Hi Dave,

I was one of the silly buggers that got in there at 5.30am on wednesday morning.
I was 15th in line.

I got my flag and will be there on the night with the family. We will be in our 5.1 Ally Craft, see you there mate.

Mike

cruiser42
22-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Hi Mike, my wife was the lucky 1 who had to line up she was about 67th in line,should be a good night, the kids are pretty excited to.Were going to stay the night with the others that are with our group first over nighter in the new boat. :)

marlinqld
22-07-2006, 11:40 AM
Our first time also, looking forward to it ;D

HarryO
22-07-2006, 02:07 PM
G'day Dave, and all.

We went to riverfire in 02 and 03 and had a great time.

The fireworks show and the flyover/ dump'n'burn were
the highlights on the day. 8-)

T'was a real party atmosphere and everyone on all the
closer boats chatted and laughed.

When the show ended, the water police held all in place
until the barges and floating restaurants,etc, had left.

My god, the race back to the boat ramp (Colmslie) had
to be seen to be believed. :o

By the time we made it back to the ramp (around midnite)
my wife and 11yr old son had to stand on the rocks, in the
water for over an hour and a half, holding onto the boat,
while other boats approached and circled, while my
youngest son and I got to the car to join the still
growing queue for retrieval.

At least now they have placed sand on Colmslie beach. :)

Would we go again? YES! BUT only if we stayed overnight.

One caution, is to ensure that your ground tackle is up to speed,
as the current can rip thru the city reach quite strongly mid-tide.

Also, don't anchor too close to the larger vessels, so to give
everyone some "swing-around" room when the tide turns.

Harry...

mickstar001
22-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Hey guys can you elaborate on these flags for me - would be interested in going!

marlinqld
22-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Only 310 vessels are allowed in the area. Flags are given out at southbank Piazza last wednesday morning.

If you weren't in line by 7.30am you missed out, as 310 people were already in line. I got there at 5.30am and was 15th in line.

The flag is displayed on the port side, its your ticket in.

The only way i found out about it was a small bit in last sundays paper in the boating section.

Mike

mickstar001
22-07-2006, 04:13 PM
So are there other areas which are not designated which smallish vessels like mine can watch the fireworks?? Albeit a little further away from all the action?

marlinqld
22-07-2006, 04:19 PM
I have the map from the Maritime Safety, every vessel who got a permit flag got the map. Ill see if i can scan it monday at work and post it on here mate.

It shows the no go areas and the 3 areas the lucky 310 boats can use.

marlinqld
22-07-2006, 04:27 PM
here we go.....this is what the map says is the closure point on the river,

An imaginary line from Kinellan Point New farm, latitude 27deg 28.52'South Longitude 153deg 02.62' east projecting directly south to Mowbray Park.

An imaginary line from Orleigh Park West End latitude 27deg 29.29'South Longitude 152deg 59.77'East projecting directly West to the western bank of the Brisbane River.

These closures go from 5.00pm till 8.45pm on saturday 2nd September.

Also a closure from Bretts and Cairncross Wharfs to facilitate the new display proposed the Hamilton reach ( Portside) - whatever that means.

I suppose you can anchor anywhere outside that closure areas.

These facts were taken from the yellow permit map all flag/permits we received on Wednesday.

Cheers

Mike

Feral
23-07-2006, 07:37 AM
Who issued the permits? I am assuming the Harbour master?
Its a bit confusing with all the different bodies with authority over the various water ways!

They are probably only going to check by flashing a torch over you from a distance, so someone with a scanner and a printer might get away with copying one and sticking it on. ;D