PDA

View Full Version : How safe is fishing Solo?

Scalem
17-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Hi All

Owning a boat has it's advantages I know, especially when you get that sudden inspiration to have a fish, so within an hour of deciding, you have hitched the boat on to the car and you are on your way. The problem with making such quick decisions (usually brought on by either an arguement with the missus or a cow of a day at work, or similar :D) it is a little absurd to expect any of your deckies to suddenly drop what they are doing, and come along with you, within an hour of being asked. My brother for one, has made it known that a little bit of notice is polite. ::)

So after that said, and because fishing is therapeutic in times such as what I described above, how many of you go solo and how often?

The last time I did a trip on my own, this old guy, who was spectating back at the Manly ramp, asked me where did you go fishing? I said Mud island. His reply was " you're joking, did you go all the way to mud island and back by yourself?" Yes, I replied, "I am always very careful"
"Not me" came the reply, "Too many things can go wrong.."

So the questions are....

How many fisho's use fishing for therapy like I described??.....
If you go by yourself, what safety measures do you take?? I think there would be a destinction between bay/estuary and offshore, but I am mainly talking about the bay, which is most of my fishing...
How many of you think it is unsafe to go by yourself??

I have read some horror stories on some threads on Ausfish, but would that stop you from doing solo trips in the future?

Would be interested to hear your comments. Charleville, I know you prefer night time, and calling your wife on mobile once you have anchored and settled in works for you, but in all the solo night trips, did you feel a little unsafe once or twice? :-?

Scalem

Murks
17-07-2006, 06:07 PM
Scalem,
I for one have NEVER been fishing in a boat by myself

My reasons are three fold..

1: I enjoy the company of others and find it really enjoyable to sit back have a chat when things are quiet and share the experience when things are good.
2: The safety aspect of two people on board is i guess unquestionable for many reasons but as we are all getting older we are not as invincible as we once were...by the way I am only 42....
3: Probably the most valid reason for me is that I rekon getting my boat OUT would be an absolute pain in the @#$% especially if it got a bit windy.....this limits my fishing because like you said ..most deckies will need some notice..
I guess we all need to fish with each other and deckie for boat owners as they all understand and appreciate thatthe short notice is sometimes all your gunna get....... ;)
Anyway, that my response to a good topic...
Allthe best...look forward to meeting you one day...
Murks...

Seaduction
17-07-2006, 06:15 PM
Scalem,

I enjoy and sometimes prefer to go on my own. I normally launch from Wello and will often go to Mud
etc. My wife has said to me "what would you do if the boat tipped over by your self" to which I normally reply "not much more than if your were swimming next to me".

My point is that I feel quite comfortable going on my own as I know I have all the necessary safety equipment radio's etc. I find the most difficult thing going solo is launching as my boat is 5.25m and is a little hard to keep still while parking the car, especially when there is a breeze blowing.

One thing I will always ensure I do is to tell someone where I'm going and how long I'm ging for.

robersl
17-07-2006, 06:24 PM
im a big fella and i like to take someone with me as balast and to pull the anchor ,sorry chubby ,sunny,blufish just kidding its always handy to have someone to chat to and keep lookout while motoring and hold the boat at the ramp

shane

finding_time
17-07-2006, 06:25 PM
Scalem

I regularly fish solo and i really enjoy it ,is it dangerous well i guess that's all a matter of perspective. I guess compared to fishing with company it's a little more dangerous ,how much though is debatable and compared to my other hobby it's not dangerous at all. I do take precautions eg. attach the kill lanyard to my belt and wear a life jacket but that's about all other than logging on and telling my better half quite accurately where i'm going but i do this even when going in company.

There are many reasons i fish solo,sometimes i cant get a deckie at late notice, sometimes i want to do alot of searching for this and that and dont want to bore a deckie and mostly i had a shite week dealing with people and just want a bit of quite time. i have no problem with anyone boating solo if they want to but have come across people that take offense at my wish to do so even though they no nothing about me or my motives each to his own i say.

Ian

Ps. i've got a drive on trailer so whether i've got help or on my own makes little differance to launching+ retrieving( IT's nice to have someone back the trailer down though ;))

Scalem
17-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Good replies so far

Thanks Murks - Yes I will keep an ear out for you....Ditto that. I just thought of another topic... How many of us use the ausfish user name on marine radio? ie: If I logged in to Brisbane coastguard, as I normally do, I use "Scalem" as my call name. Do you use "Murks" or another name? I just don't know who to listen out for on 27mhz most of the time. What the heck, I'll post this too.

Seaduction, that reply "not much more than if your were swimming next to me " had me in stiches! Good on ya! I guess if you were unconscious with your head in the water, it might be a different story. Your wife might be able to give you mouth to mouth and save your life in doing so??

Don't get me wrong, I also enjoy going solo, but this ol' guy said it with such conviction he has me thinking.... what if????

Scalem

dfox
17-07-2006, 06:39 PM
I think that anyone fishing offshore shouldnt go alone if its possiable, but if you do, log on with the coast guard and update with them on arrival at your fishing spot. Ive worked commercial mackeral fishing offshore and most of the time i went solo, so we set up a vhf radio at home to keep in touch for safety.
Closer to shore and sheltered waters is a different story, although accidents can and do happen ive done heaps of fishing and crabbing alone. If you dont feel safe dont do it, but once you gain confidence in the capabilites of your boat and equipment, and all aspects of using it including launching and retrieving it all becomes second nature.
Just sit down the ramp one morning and watch all the old hands go out alone to there secret spots, as well as all the pro's fishing alone. They all have a system, the boats are set up in a way that they can operate it by themselves.
Being alone means you have to be a bit more careful on the water, fall overboard in a current and your in trouble, but a bit of common sense and youll be fine...foxy

Seaduction
17-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Seaduction, that reply "not much more than if your were swimming next to me " had me in stiches! Good on ya! I guess if you were unconscious with your head in the water, it might be a different story. Your wife might be able to give you mouth to mouth and save your life in doing so??

I had never really thought of that. Better make sure future deckies are good looking. ;D ;D ;D.

Don't get me wrong, I also enjoy going solo, but this ol' guy said it with such conviction he has me thinking.... what if????

I guess the "what if" can be said about alot of things in life. Without knowing any "real" statistics I'm sure that you would probably have as much, if not more of a chance of something happening driving to work?

longtail
17-07-2006, 06:48 PM
Hi guys ,

Good topic Scalem #;) #me , i usually prefer to fish alone that way i can go where i want and not have to think about someone else getting a feed. also if it's just me in the boat then i don't have to worry about a deckies safety.

most times i head out i usually catch up with other ausfishers out there , a few guys i regulary fish with ( but not in the same boat) are crestcutter(darryl) , brejen(brett) , gawby(graeme) and skippa(tony). our trips are normally organised via pm's and i believe it is much safer to have 4 or 5 boats out than only 1.

when heading out though , whether on your own or not , a good habit to get in is logging on with VMR or coastguard. i also keep in contact with my wife via SMS messages.

so to answer the original question , fishing solo can be just as safe as having a deckie IMHO.

cheers
Jason.

shaman
17-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Good thread Scalem as I'm sure anyone who goes solo has had it cross their minds. I love to go out in my tinnie solo (Broadwater) and am lucky to live on the water and don't have trailer/ramp dramas. I used to live at Redland Bay and i'd shoot over to Peel or even Amity on my own and only once did I have a drama, got caught in a big blow just north of Myora, I put on my lifejacket and whistled that brave tune but I wasn't scared of being alone in fact I was glad I wasn't endangering anybody else at the time.
That said I was pretty bloody happy when the bow scraped the ramp and laughed that nervous crazyman laugh.
I really think it's a personal choice thing and it can feel exhilerating and liberating heading into a blow/rainstorm on your own with the sea..................just don't be too stupid, rescues cost lives and money....
......................Billy

onerabbit
17-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Hi all,

I used to fish solo, ( before ida & I started fishing togeather )on a comp day or when I couldn't get a deckie.

I usually only fish deep, so it may be different from what you guys do .

2 different occasions made me a bit shy of going out by myself, one where I had snagged a set of trap bubbles under my motor, I finished up hanging on to my transom , trying to get the bubbles & 20 litre container away from my motor (very scarey). Not sure if a deckie could have helped.

The other, when I was out by myself in a big sea, got knocked off my feet by a big swell, the rail in front of the motor hit the back of my knees & I smacked my head on the back of the transom, with the motor above me. If it had knocked me out I would have slipped in & been gone.

Yeah & its really hard to launch & retrieve by myself.

Muzz

onerabbit
17-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Hi all,

I used to fish solo, ( before ida & I started fishing togeather )on a comp day or when I couldn't get a deckie.

I usually only fish deep, so it may be different from what you guys do .

2 different occasions made me a bit shy of going out by myself, one where I had snagged a set of trap bubbles under my motor, I finished up hanging on to my transom , trying to get the bubbles & 20 litre container away from my motor (very scarey). Not sure if a deckie could have helped.

The other, when I was out by myself in a big sea, got knocked off my feet by a big swell, the rail in front of the motor hit the back of my knees & I smacked my head on the back of the transom, with the motor above me. If it had knocked me out I would have slipped in & been gone.

Yeah & its really hard to launch & retrieve by myself.

Muzz

onerabbit
17-07-2006, 07:09 PM
ooooops, sorry

snappa
17-07-2006, 07:18 PM
solo fishing means NOT SITTING ON THE SIDE OF THE BOAT..

not at tempest ..... :-X

u dont realise how a boat can get so far away in such short time..
then your face with .. get it all your might and hope like crazy u make it .... :-[

otherwise "NO WORRIES"....... ;D ;D ;D

and

u get to eat all the"jam rolls" ....

sunny
17-07-2006, 07:18 PM
I've done it once or twice and I can relate to the idea of being alone for some quiet time, but I'm totally over trying to get the boat on the trailer in a wind if I'm solo. Doing that at the boat club with a bunch of yatchies passing comments from the pub deck is not a good way to end the day.

But that said, some things are just better with a little company. No one would believe you if you spend an hour fighting that big monster, only to drop it at the side of the boat, if you don't have a witness. Of course you have to choose the right company ;D

seatime
17-07-2006, 07:19 PM
If I fish midweek, which is more common these days, I'm on my own. When I work its on weekends, rest of the time there's 4 kids to look after. Like a lot of people the decision is made too late or I want to do some exploring and crew may not be available. I only have a 4m tinnie at home so its easy to handle, but I guess a small boat can be more vulnerable. I am a lot more careful these days tho, many years ago I regularly fished the sand island that was on the Sth Passage bar, alone.
A flooding tide across the face of the bar isn't always a fun place to be, so tide times need careful consideration. Also 12' tinnies are heavy when you need to drag them 50m to water, oops.

Fishing solo can be as safe as you want to make it I suppose, maybe it also builds confidence and an increased awareness and hopefully we're better and safer operators as a result.

rgds

timbacutta
17-07-2006, 07:26 PM
I enjoy fishing with others but sometimes if there is no one available I will go by myself. Going by myself enables me to go when I want, come home when I want and go on short notice.

Some of the precautions I take is to always have the cord from the kill switch attached to my wrist whilst under way and I also have a radio and EPIRB on board close at hand.

I have not had any problems on the water so far, but getting the boat back on the trailer single handed has been a bit of a pain on a few occassions.

If you minimise your risks, going fishing solo can be an enjoyable experience.

Jeff.

bidkev
17-07-2006, 07:42 PM
ooooops, sorry

Post whore! ;) ;D

kev

finding_time
17-07-2006, 07:50 PM
# #ooooops, # sorry

Post whore! #;) ;D

kev

Hey pot this is kettle! ;)

Guilt by association!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ian

bidkev
17-07-2006, 08:03 PM
Good thread scalem.

Used to go a lot when I had Kingtin....6 metre tinny with 70 yammy would cost me less than 40 bucks for a day out. Now a trip to the cape would cost me 120 and I can't justify that going on my own.

I still go solo in the little tinny but only in the Pine and Pin. My last escapade at the pin when I got thrown out has taught me a valuable lesson in always attaching the kill switch and I have to be honest, I was pretty reckless in that I never attached it before, although I always did when I went solo in the bay or offshore.

Not totally solo when I did go though, in that the deckie always launched me and took the trailer home and then met me at a pre-arranged time. I never logged onto VMR as I always thought the deckie could raise the alarm if I wasn't on time.

I like the solitude, deck space and peace of being alone and the chance to just get away from the kids now and again although I love 'em dearly. Having 'em with me most of the time when I'm fishing means that I rarely get a chance to float a bait out and most of the time I just bottom bash........put the rod in the holder and then attend to them. When they're grown, may be able to perfect my skills a bit, but until then...going solo is the only chance I get.

I can be a rather anxious person and quite often when solo I get to thinking "what if"? One occasion a whale surfaced really close and being solo you get to thinking "what if it had lifted the boat and I'd gone over" It was a night session on Curtin and I never really relaxed during the night. Tried to have a kip but got to thinking about anchor drag and other stuff ::) Took the edge off the fun to be honest but being the masochist that I am...I will probably do it again ;D

Age is creeping up and I really have to think about the likelihood that a mishap may cause the family grief.......If I'd've gone over the side at curtin.....the way that tide was running I'd've never got back in the boat....I'd've surfaced a hundred metres away. Doesn't bear thinking about realyy though does it?...especially for someone who at one time wouldn't have thought twice about free climbing a 100 metre rock face. I kinda think nowadays that I owe it to others to think about what I'm doing............that's my excuse anyways.....you didn't expect me to admit that I was shit scared did you? ;D

Seriously though, I laughed about it but that last spill at the pin shook me up a bit. I'm rethinking :-/ :-/

kev

jimmybob
17-07-2006, 08:09 PM
hey there scalem......i love to fish alone...dont have to worry bout the noisy mate and ya can move on anywhere anytime ya want.....but its good to share awesome fishing moment too im sure all you agree.....im also a diabetic...so when i do go all alone im sure i have eaten well and take all the precautions needed...my wife does worry about me all alone floating around on my kayak ........if i did have a really bad low sugar ( hypo) and fell in the drink im sure that would make me crab food........i constantly tell her that i have too many fish to catch to die on the water so i really prepare myself b4 i go out and take plenty of sugar in case i need it........but i will tell ya it is quite hard to have an insulin injection while bobbing away in the bribie passage when there is lots of traffic....oops i think i mioght have gone off the topic a bit...sorry....but yer mate fishing alone is great but there is dangers involved somtimes im sure.....cheers james.......

Alex9797
17-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Who would I blame all the things that go wrong on :o

cheers

Alex

bungie
17-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Prefer going solo, both the bay and pin. The solitude is the reason I own a boat, fishing is a side line.

StevenM
17-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Well,

99.9% of the time I fish alone, doesnt matter if its in the bay or offshore from the goldy. I never have anyone complaining about how hot, wet, cold etc etc. (joys of a open boat) I go and come as I please.

As for safety I give the misses a call and if going off shore log in. If things start getting uncomfortable I don the safety vest and ensure all other safety gear is in close proximity.

Dont even take a radio as I usually find that all the voices inside my head keep me busy.

Cheers

Steven

shaman
17-07-2006, 08:36 PM
An old mate of mine used to own a trailer-sailer and he would quite often go out o'nite on his own and camp in the boat. One night he was anchored at Amity Pt. (Nth Straddie) and the D-Shackle on the pick let go somehow and when he woke up to a constant thumping thru the hull, he went up top and saw all these traffic lights. He was bumping up alongside a channel marker along side the Hornibrook Bridge (Redcliffe).
Now that's a big drift. I dunno what would of happened if the boat did a right hand turn out thru the Sth Passage Bar :o :o.
This guy loves the water and his boats but I don't think I remember a time when out with him that there wasn't some type of drama: groundings, boat on it's bum on the ramp,blown up outboard just to name a few, he even was about 2" off drowning in the mud at Jacobs Well once (submerged up to his nose on an incoming tide) I wasn't there but the stories this guy has tells me that there are some people who shouldn't go boating let alone boating SOLO..............Billy

I must tell you that I love this guy like my own dad and no ill feeling is intended.........Billy..........................hm m I must ring him............ :)

S_Bend
17-07-2006, 08:57 PM
Mate, thought provoking post. Haven't yet been out solo in this boat (yet) but have done so twice before - once in my 18 foot fibreglass off Noosa. Took a fairly big wave over the bow crossing the bar which shorted the radio out. Needless to say I went straight back in. The other time was in a 12 1/2 foot tinnie off North West Island. Caught an albatross that took a floating pillie. Can laugh about it now but have you ever tried dehooking a bird that size? Wing span was damn near the same length as the boat. Put a landing net on its head and kept that down with one foot while I held the head in one hand, beat off the flapping wings with the other and tried to gently remove the hooks. Took about half an hour. Good fight on light line though...

I have experienced quite a few nervous moments out in boats before from Manta Rays leaping nearby, whales passing by a bit too closely, hooking myself instead of the fish, motor problems, etc. Whilst I do enjoy a bit of quiet time, I think I will stick with calling the mates/family as deckie at this stage.

Dodgy_Back
17-07-2006, 08:58 PM
I normally fish on my own as I always fish mid week.

I don't have a problem with it as I normally fish the Broadwater, it's always close to a sand bar or island and I always wear the kill switch lanyard.

I'm more worried about being at the boat ramp at 3 am on my own, worried that some lunatic will jump me .

Mick

onerabbit
17-07-2006, 09:13 PM
# #ooooops, # sorry

Post whore! #;) ;D

kev

Sorry Kev, oooops done it again, ;D ;D ;D

Muzz

shaman
17-07-2006, 09:16 PM
Good post Jamaryiz, I had a visual with this big-ar$ed goonybird and u having a wrestle had a giggle, very funny indeed.

Hey dodgyback what ramp do you go to? I wouldn't mind getting jumped at 3 am even if it is by a lunatic (she'd have to be a cute lunatic though).
;D ;D ;D..............................Billy

Hornblower
17-07-2006, 09:32 PM
I guess the question really isn't a question at all. Of course going with someone else makes it safer, but only by degrees. and of course there are excpetions. But if you take the "wrong" person with you, it could make it possibly more dangerous e.g. someone with no common sense and let's face it we all know someone like that.

But say if something goes terribly wrong, statistics seem to show that usually there are mutiple victims in such circumstances, and why is that, because people normally don't go out there alone.

I guess my point is this, yes it might be more safety wise to take that extra person with you, but generally if you go out alone you are confident, and experienced and know what your limits are and not to push them.

I firmly beleive that it is a judgement call and most people with average intelligence (and I definitely include myself in this category) know when they are getting into a dangerous situation. Some people's judgement tells them not to go out alone - and there is nothing wrong with that, and other's judgement tells them to go out alone, and there is nothing wrong with that as well.

With current technology of safety equipment, navigation aids, rescue services (although you should never rely on them as a matter of principle) then I beleive that boating is only getting safer, and all things considered that most dagnerous thing you do when you go fishing is driving your motor vehicle to the water/boat ramp.

And all things considered, we each make the water a safe place with our own actions and I for one am happy in the knowledge that if I was in trouble, I wouldn't have to watch someone from our membership ride past me with his nose in the air, as I know we are all here to help one another, and I firmly beleive that! ;) ;) All in all this thread has probably given us all something to think about.

Stay Safe ;) ;) :) :)

NeilD
17-07-2006, 09:34 PM
I like a bit of company on most occasions but have done many a trip solo. The most interesting was a period where I was regularly launching a 16ft Abalone of the beach at Woodgate by myself. Fun at times :o
The quality of time by oneself has to be measured against the inherant risks of going solo. When alone you are not distracted by others and can concentrate on your game plan and the fishing environment.

You can also get really bored if the voices in your head keep telling you the same old things ;D and the if the fish dont cooperate the day can be pretty long.

The further you go offshore the bigger the risk. Try a few comfortable trips and build up if it suits you.

Neil

Murks
17-07-2006, 09:35 PM
[quote author=Hornblower link=1153122566/15#29 date=1153135952] But if you take the "wrong" person with you, it could make it possibly more dangerous e.g. someone with no common sense and let's face it we all know someone like that.

tunaman
17-07-2006, 09:36 PM
As long as I can see the land and its close, so if sh@t hits the fan, I can swim to shore.I like to fish on my own too, and night fishing is a real
buzz for me. Sitting alone in the middle of the night, can be spooky,
specially when a dolphin comes along behind you and blows its air hole
at 1.00am, and I just put a cup of #coffee to my lips, and after cleaning
the hot coffee off my self, my hands wouldnt stop shaking 10mins.
That brought the nerves undone, but what a rush. I think I went home after that, It was good to see the ramp on that occasion.

signed tunaman

Murks
17-07-2006, 09:38 PM
NOT SURE WHAT HAPPENED THEN. :-[.WHAT i WAS GOING TO SAY WAS i COULDNT AGREE MORE WITH Hornblower about taking an inexperienced person with you..can be more harm than being by yourself I expect

Check PM Scalem

All the best be safe ;)
Murks

daz35
17-07-2006, 09:45 PM
i most enjoy goin solo not that it happens much with 3 kids .there is no waiting around cause the deckies late ,its total peace no tapping on the ali sides no turning the radio up just peace and quiet and everything being done just how i like it.with a driveon trailer and 535 cc i have no probs launching and retrieving all safety gear is in place and someone always knows where ill be and when ill be home .a bit of commonsense and faith in your boat and motor i cant see any reason why not to go out alone

PinHead
17-07-2006, 10:21 PM
I only estuary fish but I quite often go on my own...did so Thursday a fortnight back..went and had a quick fish this evening...as for company..when you have as many voices chatting away in your head, you don't really need any others. The safety aspect...I am always careful whether alone or have someone with me...if everything goes pear shaped..well, such is life....I am here to enjoy the ride not watch it slowly meander past.

Great_White
17-07-2006, 10:26 PM
Hi Scalem good topic, I fish solo a lot in the passage in Caloundra don't mind doing it as I can't get into too much trouble out there ;D.

Have only been out in the bay 3 times now and would fish it by myself with more experience, But Janine loves to fish so she is always comes out with me. ;D

Offshore or over a bar no way at this stage, but would be into what Jason (longtail) said and going out with a few other ausfishers. ;)

Had an older 4.3 savage with a 40 hp mariner and even though never net me down. I always had it in the back of my mind that if I went too far out or on too long a cruise something would happen / go wrong. In the the new boat 2 1/2 yr old stessco 4.75 I have more confidence in the rig and would go solo given a chance in an area that I knew.

I also like a chat so having someone else on board while the fish aren't biting is good to make a day of it ;)

Peter :)

Scalem
17-07-2006, 11:21 PM
Hi People,

Have been to a committee meeting since putting up this topic, and really happy with all your responses, because I am amazed that so many of you go Solo fishing for the same reasons that I do. #There's too many replies to mention everyone individually, but Kingtin, I read your account of going overboard in your tinnie a few weeks ago, and that would be enough to scare anyone, no matter how confident. Your thread back then is one of the "horror stories" I am referring to.

Too late in the night to think straight, going to bed now, but I am enjoying all your feedback, thanks guys!

Scalem

Angla
18-07-2006, 03:23 AM
I've allways found peace in solo trips. It either lets you explore more ground or try new tactics. The night time jitters can get to you though, even when you are with a crowd as the things that go bump in the night don't care haw many are in the boat.

I would go to Tempest looking for snapper or the bay fishing for whiting solo as I believe I am well prepared for most events and capable of launching and retrieving solo.

Normally I tell someone where I am going, but we know how that can change in an instant.

And when the missus is cranky, what's the use in telling her. She'd probably send the search party the other way.

Know your equipment. Know your limitations.

I also think it can be more dangerous on land at most times. Probably more cars driving into lounge rooms than boating fatalities.

Angla

el_carpo
18-07-2006, 04:17 AM
I'm with the safety in numbers crowd. There's no such thing as being 100 percent safe in life but there are steps you can take to get you closer.

I fish from shore on freshwater lakes and rivers and I STILL don't go alone. I've had too many accidents and serious injuries to risk it. I was fishing from a bunch of rocks that I thought were stable. They weren't and I fell and got hurt pretty bad. My brothers helped me get out of what would have been quite a mess. Another time, we were wading/ fishing in a river and I thought it would be O.K. to go a bit further into the fast running channel. Wrong! I slipped on an algae covered rock and down the river I would have gone had my brother not grabbed hold of me and pulled me to safety. I've saved them a few times as well.

We have a couple of canoes that we built together and we never go out alone. It's always two men per canoe and we always take them both with. Throw ropes and life vests (those are required anyway) are always there too.

You're big boys and girls and you can do what you like, but I think going out to sea by yourselves is an awfully big risk to take. One slip and fall, one big unseen wave, one accident with a fillet knife while cutting bait or whatever, one collision with an unseen object, etc and you're in a world of trouble. Having a pal there to help is a very good thing.

I like the idea one poster had about meeting up with other boats as well. If your or their engine conks out, you can hitch up and pull the other boat back to land.

In my humble opinion, it's best to go in numbers. There are just too many things that can happen out there at sea. ;D

Got_the_Fever
18-07-2006, 05:57 AM
I used to borrow my dads boat and fish solo all night in the Pine. Since I have been diagnosed with heart problems I have given up on the idea of going out alone, it just isnt worth it if something goes wrong. I either take my wife with me or a mate. I still want to do night fishing in the pine or up in the passage but these days it will always be with someone else.

Kel [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

tunaman
18-07-2006, 10:32 PM
el carpo! I think my mother inlaw wants to get in your boat! ;D

signed tunaman ;D

Green
19-07-2006, 01:06 AM
I've only been out by myself on 3 occasions, all overnighters, and enjoyed every one.( I work shifts so deckies can sometimes be hard to find weekdays).
Got familiar with the area by day. Marked GPS co-ordinates and used them so i could get to where i was going or wanted to go. Then followed them at night.
I'm now confident of the area/s i will use to go fishing, or run home should the weather turn sour. Every solo trip has been great, but i have learnt that when i rebuild my trailer i'll have to modify it for ease of solo loading. Once again, some deckies are there to catch fish and may not be clued up enough to realise that letting the anchor chain drag over the side on a drop or retrieve is punishable by a time out in the crab pot in whatever water depth is at hand.
I have also read about blokes who have spent their entire life on boats coming to grief while flying solo. It can happen, as accidents sometimes do, to anyone, regardless of skill or confidence levels.
As hornblower noted, you got more chance being taken out on the drive to the ramp or back than on the water (I have questioned that theory after seeing some skips in action though).
Life's a risk, and i'll keep enjoying it on the water.

Burley_Boy
19-07-2006, 08:55 AM
I like fishing alone as I can explore and learn and take all the time I need to learn new ways. Most of my fishing is offshore currently in a 17ft Haines, the last trip was 20k's offshore so although you can see land you wouldn't want to swim it.

I always log on with the Seaway tower and I carry a mobile phone and a radio and safety gear for offshore and sometimes use the lanyard. Things I have considered but not implemented is a small EPIRB to go in you pocket as well as one of those inflatable vests that you wear all the time.

My assesment of the danger has been if I suddenly became sick or knocked my head or if I should fall overboard then it would be handy with a deckie. As far as if the boat blew up or went down in a swell I figure that 2people in the drink is no better than 1 person in the drink...So with those odds I figure the chances are I could have a heart attack at home on my own and cark it as well, once you've logged on at least someone will eventually come looking.

I figure that the risks involved for me alone offshore are a lot lower than taking a drive up the M1 so life is all a risk versus pleasure assesment and I enjoy the water on my own, with a deckie its always a different style of trip for good and bad.

Blackened
19-07-2006, 09:30 AM
G'day
I run a 12' tinny so no offshore work is an issue here. But i will run manly to moreton now and then with no worries. I run solo about 70% of my time out. Even more when i was younger. If something goes wrong it's 100% my respnsibility and besides, most of the stuff that does go wrong was pre concieved anyway.
Dave

shaman
19-07-2006, 09:09 PM
Hey El-Carpo, It's probably a good thing you don't fish solo if the "WILDLIFE" that hang around your local fishing spot are as you previously described at least for last week or so!!!!!!!!! :-* :-* :-* ;D

Jim_Byrne
19-07-2006, 10:24 PM
I regularly head out by myself and fish the bay and when at the Coast I wont hesitate to take my 15 open tinny offshore by myself in the right conditions.

Always log in, knowing your engine well, and your boats limits are the essentials, combined with all the modern safety gear, your never to far from help if you really need it.

Sure I have encounted problems (blown engine), and as a few others have suggested sometimes your best by yourself.

Jim

Scalem
19-07-2006, 11:00 PM
So far this topic has really highlighted a few things, and it's great so many have replied. #For me, the way things appear are as follows.

Of the number who have replied, I am amazed to find so many others are in the same boat (yes, good punn , what a comedian!! ;D ;D) as me. #I think it is the majority of people who have replied prefer a solo trip.

But the others who don't think it is a good idea, like el_carpo for instance ( thanks mate) highlight the dangers and we all need reminding so never to become complacent or over convident. #Thanks Dodgy_ back for reminding me about my last trip to Mooloolaba, but I had not quite made it to the boat ramp. #I was on my own, driving toward the boat ramp where I was going to go deckie for someone else. #A girl was walking in the middle of the road, smack bang in the middle of Mooloolaba. :-/ #So I slowed down, of course, until I realized someone else was walking up to the passenger door handle of my car and tried to open it!! #If you want a taste of what I am saying, try this area at 3.30am Saturday and see what I am saying. It's ironic that I had not even got to the boat ramp yet, and the danger of being alone "could have" become something more serious. #But Shaman, she did appear to be a "Cute Lunatic" :o

The point being made here? #Take precautions and have common sense whatever circumstance you are in, fishing Solo does not seem to present any more dangers to those captains who know their rig and their limitations, as would driving down the main street of Mooloolaba. #As a result of this thought provoking topic, I for one am going to try use my Ausfish membership a little better, as I know many already do follow each other out, or listen out on the radio.

See you on the water!!

Scalem

el_carpo
20-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Hey El-Carpo, It's probably a good thing you don't fish solo if the "WILDLIFE" that hang around your local fishing spot are as you previously described at least for last week or so!!!!!!!!! :-* :-* :-* ;D

;D You've got that right Shaman! I've got a very funny story about that but I'm going to have to pass on telling it. I would never live it down if details got out. Let's just say, if I ever go to another Cubs game (baseball team I like), my brother is NOT going to get me to take the purple line train instead of the red line again. I went through quite a "strange" neighborhood to get there. ;) ;D You've never seen a fat guy walk so fast in your life. When my Dad heard about it, he fell out of his chair laughing. I still get made fun of for that little escapade. My brother is no longer the "official" navigator on any trips we take out. ;D "I swear I didn't know!" just doesn't cut it sometimes. ;D............ and that's enough detail of that story. ;D

Scalem,

Scarey story there! I'm glad you saw the rat sneaking up on your car before he got you. That was a close one! I hate car-jackers! There have been stories of cars being forcibly taken with the victim's children still in the back of the vehicle. Grrrrr.... hate them! >:( Glad you're safe!

Sorry for the late reply. I've been very busy this week and haven't had time to check Ausfish too often and make reply posts.

......and before anyone says it, NO! What's kept me busy has nothing to do with what is going on in my city this week! ;D

;) I know how you guys think! ;D ;D ;D

Bundy_Burp
20-07-2006, 06:23 PM
I sometimes fish alone just to get a chance to think but usually I have a deckie or two along for the ride .

charleville
21-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Would be interested to hear your comments. #Charleville, I know you prefer night time, and calling your wife on mobile once you have anchored and settled in works for you, but in all the solo night trips, did you feel a little unsafe once or twice? :-?

Firstly Scalem, my apologies for such a slow response - I had to put in my computer for repair this week so have only just come back on line this arvo. #Of course, the tech had to erase my hard drive didn't he? - so I have spent the last couple of hours loading software with a lot more to go. # :(

Anyway, congratulations on formulating a topic that has stimulated so many responses. #;)

In answer to your question...
did you feel a little unsafe once or twice?...

The times that I have felt uneasy in my first five years to date as a boatie are:-

1. #The time that I was at Tangalooma and a fog came in obliterating all sight of the mainland and other Bay islands and without a GPS at that stage, I had to navigate home by use of the boat's compass and my Brownies - but that was in the middle of the day; #8-)

2. #The time that I crossed over from Moreton back to Manly with son #2 in pretty rough seas that sprung up pretty quickly. #Son had great confidence in me - more so that I probably had - but that was in the middle of the day; #8-)

3. #The time that I broached the boat by following too close in the wake of a displacement hull at the 'Pin when I was fairly new to boating - but that was in the middle of the day; #8-)

4. #The time that I was in Jacobs Well channel fair smack in the middle of a thunderstorm with lightning striking all around me - but that was in the middle of the day. #8-)

Come to think of it, I have not had too many concerns at all at night time. #:) :) :) #I was out in Allniter's tinnie in the middle of a thunderstorm at night a few weeks ago but that lightning was not striking the water around us so I felt ok and just assumed that all we had to do was to ride out the winds which did not last long in that case.

I also recall vividly when doing the evening classroom session five years ago at my Australian Boating College boat licence training course held at the Moreton Bay Trailer Boat Club seeing a lone boatie come in through the leads and hearing a course member saying that he would never go out at night - #to which the course instructor Jon, said "why on earth not?!" #and that little discussion has always given me much confidence that if I practise the conservative seamanship that he taught us in that all too short 1 1/2 day course then, we should have confidence in ourselves. #He taught us about night vision, the value of red lighting on sounders etc and getting the anchor light up high out of infering view etc. #:)

I also recall the wisdom of the old sales guy at Springwood Marine who #talked me out of buying an auxiliary motor when I bought my new boat from him. #His wisdom was that most equipment failures at sea are often forshadowed before the boatie ever leaves the ramp. eg equipment not cared for properly etc. #I, myself, have long held the view that a person can generally handle one thing going wrong at any time but it is when a second thing fails that disaster happens - have proven this "rule" to myself all too many times such as when doing something risky on a bike and something else goes wrong and disaster invariably happens.

So, yes, I enjoy solo night boating immensely - BUT I DO NOT TAKE CHANCES!!!!! #I reiterate what I have often said on this site, I swim like a wind-tunnel tested lead sinker and have therefore no intention of having to, let alone being aware of the number of sharks in the Bay. #Taking no chances means:-

(a) #when travelling at night, I ALWAYS wear a light lifejacket. #It is only a PFD 1 but it gives me confort that if I were to be thrown out of the boat by hitting something submerged, I would have some buoyancy. #This is a rule that I NEVER break. #The PFD1 also has teh advantage that if I did hit somethinmg and was thrown hard against the windscreen, my ribs with be padded. #;)

(b) I have once again started wearing the dead man's strap to the motor cut-out after reading Kingtin's recent report re his mishap. #:o

(c) I always log in to Coastguard or equivalent if they are available. #That is, during the week, monitoring is undertaken on behalf of the Manly Coastguard by the Moreton Bay Trailer Boat Club but they close at 9.30pm so if I know that I am to stay out longer than 9.30pm, I don't log in but my wife knows exactly where I am going and as previously said, I calm her worries by phoning in when I first anchor and when I am back on dry land. #She is equally as nocturnal as I am so a 12.30am phone call to her does not wake her up. #Understand though that these phone calls are about reassuring her and ensuring her her comfort, not mine.

I have always marked up a Boating & Safety fridge note with the details of my trip but as of this week, I have just made up my own on the computer (see below) and laminated them to show details of my boat, likely travel path, time to return home, emergency phone numbers and also a couple of brief nots about my usual fishing habits. #These are intended to given rescuers the information that should help them save time.

(d) the boat is full equipped with more than the minimum requirements of safety gear in a grab bag. eg I carry an epirb even though it is not leaglly required in the Bay. #I regularly check a couple of times on each trip that my PFD3 and than grab bag are unencumbered in the boat and available for a quick exit. #

(d) #Also the boat is well maintained - I never shirk one cent in getting regular servicing and preventative maintenance done. #Being new to boating, I bought a new boat to reduce the risk a little further. #Over time I have night-prepared the boat in variious ways to minimise distracting light which might interfere with my night vision.

(e) Following the advice from PinkPanther on this site, I now always navigate without my instruments to maintain my skills on teh regular routes that I do take. #However, I do have routes stored on the GPS which will guide me home in the event of other catastrophe - eg losing my spectacles at sea thus preventing my seeing distant beacons.

(f) #On the subject of spectacles, age has caught up with me so that I now need both reading glasses and distance glasses. So amongst my several pairs, I have my fishing glasses - these are bifocals, the short distance part of which is very short distance to allow tying of knots etc close up. #I have these in both clear (for night) and polarised sunnies for the day.

(h) #I check the weather on both the BOM and Seabreeze.com.au before I go. #If they are in reasonable alignment, I am happy to go at night. #Seabreeze is good insofar as it predicts the wetaher on an hourly basis which is infinitely more useful that the BoM's vague 10-15Knots forecast for the whole day. #I have been known to abort a trip when I was on teh ramp about to let the boat slide into the water because incoming boaties warned me about the bay conditions.

So, forgive me for such a long-winded reply but the answer to your question is esssentially that I do not fear being alone at night or day one iota simply because I decide my own destiny with my preparations as best I can. #I once asked an old Norwegian captain of super tankers how he gets on in a cyclone and his answer was very clear, "I don't leave port when there is a cyclone around."

Having said all of that, I reiterate that I love solo night fishing more than words can express. #However, I am not stupid about it.

Regards....

shaman
22-07-2006, 03:44 PM
One thing this thread has taught me is I will use my safety lanyard when solo. Must've thought I was a super hero or something.............. :-? :-?
..........................Thanx guys ...............Billy

Scalem
23-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Hey Bruce!

I was wondering where you had got to, I think the last post I saw from you was how crappy the weather was going to be, and no fishing for you as a result. #Technology! #All hard disks will fail, it's only a matter of when. :-/ #

Your reply was well worth waiting for though, and I invited a response, and you did not dissappoint with your answer - thanks! #If anyone - and I mean ANYONE reads this thread and your response too, surely we will have all learned something that may save someones' life? #I think we should all be considered wise if we learn the easy way, and not the hard way by our own mistakes, misfortune or poor preparation.

As Billy has reflected, the super hero has learned to be more careful!!! #That goes for me too!

Regards
Scalem

PS. #Check this site out. #http://www.weatherzone.com.au/observations/observations.jsp?state=QLD&type=metar

This will give you the most up to date information. #Look at Cape Morton readings, the average wind speed as well as what it is gusting to. #I am sure you will have this in your favourites if you don't already

PinHead
23-07-2006, 04:14 PM
some interesting points there charleville...but you have confused me on your lifejacket usage..you sya you wear a PFD 1 when underway but then have a PFD3 and grab bag are ready for a quick exit...why use a 3 when you have a 1 ????

webby
23-07-2006, 04:47 PM
Use to do it all the time, the only prob was anchoring, had to dash in thru the cab out the front to drop the pick, then i started getting the anchor set and running the rope back thru the cab, so when i got to where i wanted to be, just a matter of letting the rope go and feeding the anchor out.
Nothing better then spending the night under the stars by yourself.
Now when you get a little older, its better to have a deckie with you, to do all the duties, and you can position the boat better so when you anchor your are where you want to be, especially area of fast tidal flow and you dont end up 100m down current.
As for safety, usually spent the night out there and came in, in the morning, usually someone there willing to help line the rig up on the trailer.
regards
Ps Greg, Charlie uses the other Pfd for the esky to save the catch ;D

charleville
23-07-2006, 07:38 PM
some interesting points there charleville...but you have confused me on your lifejacket usage..you sya you wear a PFD 1 when underway but then have a PFD3 and grab bag are ready for a quick exit...why use a 3 when you have a 1 ????

Hi Pinhead. The PFD 1 is an old one that I used to use for canoeing. It has the advantage that because it does not have the big collar thing that PFD3s have, it does not get caught on the canopy and other things when I am under way. My boat is a little 4.75m Quinnie runabout with a lowish canopy and even the PFD 1 can catch on the canopy when I am standing up with my head sticking out of the unzipped open section of the canopy. The PFD1 does not meet the minimum legal requirements in the open bay for good reasons, however, so whilst it gives me a great level of comfort and confidence when travelling at night, if the boat were to be going down in an orderly manner, I would be reaching for the PFD3. :)

Use to do it all the time, the only prob was anchoring

Yep – same problem. :(

Nothing better then spending the night under the stars by yourself.

Unbelievably bloody beautiful! Neither words nor poetry can describe the experience. :) :) :) :) :)

Now when you get a little older, its better to …

Give it a break!!! You are only the same age as me – 55 going on 18!!! ;D ;D ;D

Charlie uses the other Pfd for the esky to save the catch ;D

… and my lunch!!! ;D ;D ;D

charleville
23-07-2006, 07:59 PM
"what would you do if the boat tipped over by your self" to which I normally reply "not much more than if your were swimming next to me".

Absolutely agree. Not only that but I feel uneasy when I have a guest on board that I am responsible for their safety as well. :-/ It is just not as relaxing for me even though I usually enjoy their company immensely. :-/

I find the most difficult thing going solo is launching as my boat is 5.25m and is a little hard to keep still while parking the car, especially when there is a breeze blowing.

...ditto - which is why I always launch at ramps which are well protected from the wind such as at Manly. I used to have an electric trailer winch but I managed to break it and never seem to be able to find time to fix it. ;D

charleville
23-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Just sit down the ramp one morning and watch all the old hands go out alone to there secret spots, as well as all the pro's fishing alone. They all have a system, the boats are set up in a way that they can operate it by themselves.

Yep - did this for six months when I was thinking of buying my first boat five years ago and made the boat selection based on what I saw.

I now have a routine that I follow without fail - almost like a rocket launch countdown. eg at such and such a stage, I check the bungs - at another stage, I check that the safety gear is easily accessible etc.

With just five years of boating, I am first to admit that I am just a beginner and still very cautious. ;)

Got_the_Fever
23-07-2006, 08:35 PM
Charlie it doesnt matter if you have been boating for 5 years or 50 years. Your safety precautions are the absolutely the best way to go. Although I have been around boats all my life I will not cut corners at any time. The safety for myself and anyone else on board is MY responsibilty and it is one I take very seriously. As I have mentioned earlier in this post I dont think I will go solo at night anymore, but that is due to health issues. I feel very confident with my boat and I know that the precautions I take with making sure that everything regarding safety equipment is within arms length I dont feel confident with my health.

Dont ever comprimise on your safety no matter how many years you are boating. Your life is to important.

Kel

Bundy_Burp
24-07-2006, 12:31 AM
Safety on the water is what you yourself make it although now days you have to have a lot of equipment to be legal I can remember and this wasnt too long ago when we would go out to the reefs with little or No safety equipment .
But I have to admit I do feel alot safer knowing the gear is there if I need it but like has already been said spending a few extra dollars on good equipment is nothing compared to what a life is worth . Especially that of a loved one .
And yes I do go out alone in the boat and yes I do go out out night and I find floating on the water fishing rod in hand looking at the stars probably the most relaxing place one could possible be .

Got_the_Fever
24-07-2006, 09:30 AM
Bundy I have to agree with you about being in the boat under a canopy of stars is the most relaxing place in this world. My memories of being out all night in my dads boat are among the most special that I have. Absorbing the serenity is what kept me doing it for years. These days I enjoy the same thing but I will be sharing it with my wife or a mate.

Kel

whykickacatalong
24-07-2006, 10:09 AM
Sure it has crossed my mind but cant say I have really given it any deep thought. If I want to go for a fish I hook the boat up and go ;). When flicking lures I prefer to have the boat to myself, move the electric where I want and dont have to worry about making sure another person does not fall in the drink (anyone who owns a bowmount electric will know what I mean ;D) or is always lined up for a decent cast and retrieve and if things are slow I can stay or go as I please. I take the bigger boat out the Bar myself and always log on/off with the coast guard and tell the missus where i am going and ETA back. I guess the point of getting knocked out is a good one if there is somebody to keep your head up but when it comes down to it, if the conditions are safe I will always rather go for a fish than miss the opportunity just cause you cant find a decky.

As for launching and retreiving the boat, while the wind can be a pain I think alot comes down to the trailer. A boat 5mts and under and a well set up trailer should be a simple enough job to deal with without turning you off going out. The biggest prob I have is when using the fiberglass cuddy with no sand or jetty to keep the boat off the ramp. Thats my biggest turn off for a solo trip.

Deiter
24-07-2006, 09:57 PM
95% of fishing done solo in last 6 years. launch/retreive @ Wello (15.5ft v-nose)
no way i would do it in my glass rig though.

ripped lights off both sides of trailer one night trying to retreive in 25kn easterly, w/ 1/2m chop up the bum (of the boat). not fun. was about 7pm in winter, bystanders on jetty were very amused by crunching and cracking sounds coming from boat and trailer meeting where thay hadn't previously - and only came over to see how i was after i got the lot up the ramp and stopped to remove the bungs to drain the 200 litres or so of water that had slopped over the transom. I politely told them to p1ssoff!!! very politely.
They obviously weren't ausfishers.

otherwise no other real dramas that i can remember.

I love fishing solo.

wayneoro
25-07-2006, 07:19 AM
gees guys i'm 62 fished all my life 90% of the time outside 95% of the time on my own its never occured to me the need for a deckie for safety reasons if you are of sound mind in a sound boat the national odds of coming to grief are very low so low that if those odds scare you you should never get out of bed the odds are far greater of coming to grief in your own home let alone walking on the footpath now how about driving in your car wow now thats scary odds

Scalem
25-07-2006, 12:11 PM
gees guys i'm 62 fished all my life 90% of the time outside 95% of the time on my own its never occured to me the need for a deckie for safety reasons # if you are of sound mind in a sound boat the national odds of coming to grief are very low #so low that if those odds scare you you should never get out of bed # the odds are far greater of coming to grief in your own home #let alone walking on the footpath now #how about driving in your car wow now thats scary odds

All true Wayneoro

Thank you for your comment. #I guess what is being said is that sometimes we need to keep ourselves in check, and never to be complacent about the potential dangers on the water. #I am not a NANCY for letting the comments of a senior citizen find their mark, but feel I have gained by listening to what he had to say, and many replies to this thread, which will help me go fishing solo that much safer. #Some may need reminding more than others, I might just need more coaching.

Only this week, I learned of two accounts where accidents could have been prevented, although they were not anything to do with boating, maybe they could have been reminded about the dangers of what they were doing.. We all have temporary lapses of concentration or carelessness.

The 1st was a medical program where the guy suffered severe burns after angle grinding a 44 gallon drum to make a water trough. #The drum still had petrol vapors inside it. ::)

Today, a guy lit a cigarette while he still had cleaning thinners on his hands. #In both circumstances, help was very close by. #I don't think fishing Solo is a circumstance where help is readily available. #Do you admit to having lapses in concentration?? :-? :-? #I would never admit to being so stupid!! ;) But then again.....

Scalem

seabug
25-07-2006, 12:35 PM
Good on you Wayneoro.
Glad to see that you are still enjoying life.

I cannot see why we should not go solo ,as long as we take all necessary precautions and have all the safety gear.And know our limits.

There are so many pursuits that have similiar risks.
EG Outback tripping,Snow sports,Swimming ,diving.

Sure ,with some of these there would be people around,but more people are killed doing these than solo fishing.

Regards
Seabug