PDA

View Full Version : new to qld

ozzyboy2000au
22-07-2006, 05:10 PM
hihi
just moved to qld (daisy hill) from sydney for work.
my question is
could someone tell me, where a decent spot is, near brissy to take kids fishing? i have no boat now, and kids not been fishing since xmas.
kids r 7 and 8, and basically just looking for a safe spot, where they could possibly catch something legal.

thnx :)

daniel

iank
22-07-2006, 05:28 PM
I know it is a bit of a drive but Newstead Park on Breakfast Creek (UBD map 140 ref F19) is a good spot, path along waters edge, benches to sit on and plenty of lawn for the kids to run around on when they get bored. Main fish caught here are bream, flathead and catfish with the odd jew puting in an apperance. The standard frozen prawn works but live yabbies, mullet and herring will increase your chances of some quality fish. Hope this helps.
Cheers Ian

gunnabuild1
22-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Hi ozzyboy I moved up here about 12 years ago came up on holiday, met a girl, never went home.Bribie Island is always good for the kids especially when it's warmer.There would be a few places closer but as a family we always seem to end up at bribie it's a good easy daytrip bout an hours drive.
Enjoy

shaman
22-07-2006, 06:40 PM
Nick over to Wellington Point. You can fish King Island at low tide, just walk over the sand spit to the island.....bit of anventure as well or jump in a water taxi to Coochiemudlo Island off Victoria point....good estuary species to be had..............both pretty much bread and butter stuff but a good family day. If you want some nice bream head over to Redland Bay (Pt Talburpin) head down Torquay Rd to the very end and walk along the shore heading south until you see a lone tree out about 25 mtrs if you fish around this tree at full or mid tide (base of tree should be submerged) using fisho chicken gut with a size 1 fishkeeper hook with a 00 ball sinker right on hook, castng around the flats here you should ,at this time of year get some horse bream. You will need to wade out so wear waders (bit chilly) not kid friendly but you will have a ball. Don't be afraid to fish shallow, I've been nailed right at my feet, actually had a few swim right between my feet (rod bending between legs, awesome).
Early morning or dusk with a full tide and you'll be sweet.
........................Billy
P.s been smashed by a few jacks there as well.. good luck and welcome to GOD'S COUNTRY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

robersl
22-07-2006, 08:49 PM
if you feel like a day out take the kids to redcliffe fish off the old hornibrook hiway use worms or prawns when the get sick of that take them to suttons beach for a swim or to the lagoon at redcliffe safe swimming in there also toilets bbq beach ect probably 1 hour drive from saisey hill over the gatewat follow the signs can not go wrong

shane

robersl
22-07-2006, 09:22 PM
if you feel like a day out take the kids to redcliffe fish off the old hornibrook hiway use worms or prawns when the get sick of that take them to suttons beach for a swim or to the lagoon at redcliffe safe swimming in there also toilets bbq beach ect probably 1 hour drive from saisey hill over the gatewat follow the signs can not go wrong

shane

mcsalty
23-07-2006, 09:08 AM
Hi, Dan. Welcome to Qld and Ausfish. Sorry I can't help with some good places to take the kids fishing down your way but I'm sure others will. (from what I've heard though pretty soon you'll be able to give them a bucket each and take them to the nearest dam so they can just wander around pickin up yella belly and bass) . I'm sure you can't wait to talk footy but will have to take a raincheck on that. Good luck to you and your family, hope the move proves to be fruitfull for all.

Cheers, Bruce

marlinqld
23-07-2006, 09:28 AM
Under the bridge at the boat passage Whyte Island is quite safe and can land you some bream flathead and whiting.
Just park near the ramp and walk under the bridge.

Cheers

Mike

aussiefool
23-07-2006, 09:30 AM
M8 glade to hear you have excaped from the rat race in Sydney and moved north,but really to QLD????????? what were you thinking????? Just promise me one thing though never surport that cane toad mob in the state of origin
Aussiefool
Andrew

ozzyboy2000au
24-07-2006, 09:08 PM
thnx for all the replies. plenty of options there and will be out this weekend to give the rods a run.

will hopefully post some pics of where we went, and hopefully some good catches.

cheers

daniel

Beggsy
25-07-2006, 01:11 PM
Mate,

Have a look at the post in here about Cleveland area. I take my kids (4,7 and 11) out to Cleveland Point regularly. They lose a bit of gear, but usually have a bit of fun.

My 4 yo caught his first Tailor there this year 60 cm on his little 6 ft rod - bloody near dragged him into the water - great fun.

Beggsy