PDA

View Full Version : What Will Happen?

megan
24-07-2006, 01:43 PM
What will happen when each time a boat goes out fishing they bag out on a particular species of fish each and every time they go? So say there are 30 boats out there (no particular location) targeting Snapper and they all bag out - then the next day there are 50 boats bagging out etc etc. Not to mention the trawlers taking their share.

How long until all the fish are gone??? Will it ever happen?

What are your thoughts?

Dogbream
24-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Not everyone bags out sweet pea ;) only the good fisherman do.............

You can still pay 30 dollars a kilo from the fishmonger if you like ;D ;D

The Dogbream.

whykickacatalong
24-07-2006, 01:57 PM
How long until all the fish are gone??? #Will it ever happen?

How long is a peice of string? The answer to that is unknown but it is still a peice of string, just as the fish will be gone eventually.

Noelm
24-07-2006, 01:58 PM
gees what sort of fish do you buy for $30-00 KG?? or better still where do you shop so I can never go there (at those prices that is)

Noelm
24-07-2006, 02:03 PM
now seriously, there is a rather lame but perhaps true theory that you never fish out a spot (professional or other wise) because as soon as the catch rate drops off you/we tend to move to some other "hot spot" and the remaining (how ever small) surviving fish will live on to breed and repopulate the area, not too sure about this but I read it in a National Geographic type Magazine so I guess there could be something to it.

tshort
24-07-2006, 02:52 PM
They run out. Trawl industry always waited for a good blow to get the boats off the prawns and let them regroup, yep the catch rates were better after a good blow but you guessed it numbers declined again. Always loved the statement about self regulating fishery which meant if you could still make money on it then it was viable. Look out for some cheap trawlers comming onto the market near you soon. Or if most of them have line licences like they used too they might buy a few dories and be out there with you Fish-a-holic.
Everyone on the Sunny coast I've spoken too have been bagging out on snapper, then going out and doing it all over agin.

Dirtysanchez
24-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Well up til now I have been using the "this place has been fished out' excuse for my coming home empty handed but looks like my cover has been blown.

It was good when there was a fish shop next to the local, all I had to do was wash the paper off the fish before heading home ::)

Seriously though I think that it's already happening and certain places are just not holding fish anymore !

Tinn
24-07-2006, 03:26 PM
Would like to see all these people you think that are bagging out. Most people don't catch fish because they don't put the time in. They say that 10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish.

Don't think that there will be a problem as there are size and bag limits to control fish numbers.

Blackened
24-07-2006, 04:54 PM
G'day
In my opinion this will never happen. It's the old 80/20 rule. 20% of fish caught by 80% of fishermen and vica versa. There is also the regulations in effect and dont forget, the means "bagging out" must be bought into context. A few years ago a bag out on snapper was 30 fish. Now it is only 5. Places like the gold coast have felt the pinch of population and years and years of regular fishing so yes there is some truth in the matter. Numbers will get to a certain level in any given polulation and area and provided they are given some breathing space, like increased size limits, closed seasons and the like they will recover. At the end of the day we do need to look after the stocks and resources and everything associated.
Dave

-spiro-
24-07-2006, 05:33 PM
Well it would make you wonder if someone is fishing without bait in this thread ::) 8-)

Bundy_Burp
24-07-2006, 07:27 PM
I would have thought that having a bag and size limits and that fisherman arent silly enough to fish a spot thats not producing quality fish would pretty much solve the problem .
But thats only my point of view

Great_White
24-07-2006, 07:54 PM
Fish stock are very safe around me, I have been targeting snapper / squire and I will let everyone know when I finally catch my first one. ;D ;D ;D

Peter :)

gunnabuild1
24-07-2006, 08:51 PM
I'm with great white I think I've caught every undersize squire in the bay, at least thats how it feels.And thats just on the one day.

The_Walrus
24-07-2006, 08:57 PM
I'm with you Spiro :)

Luc

lock
24-07-2006, 09:28 PM
I dont think(or should say hope) it will ever happen due to the fact of all the regulations and rules we now have. I know catch numbers and even size have dropped since the good old days when blokes still fished with dynamite ;D. But one would hope thats in the past and the rules and regs will work.

Jeremy87
24-07-2006, 09:41 PM
Noelm
30 bucks a kilo is the going rate for fresh local caught snapper fillets. if you've been getting it for much cheaper then your probably getting imported stuff or there doing a shifty and selling you catfish.

Fish a holic
Theres alot of water out there and its very difficult to say exactly how many fish are in it. That is why we have a governing body that generates size and bag limits to ensure that the fishery is sustainable. we can only hope that they have there numbers right.

Dirtysanchez
25-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Hey, Ii don't use bait, there are so many punters on this site who reckon SPs are the bees knees I only use SP now, which probably accounts for my low catch rate, that and the fact that I don't have a boat any more :'(

Mind you a few weeks back in hervey Bay I was jiggin the SP in deep water in frustration and a decent Spotty Mack inhaled it.. whizzzzz, 3KG line, hello !!

Fishing_Widow
25-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Hopefully it won't happen but it is not a nice thought. The reason why we have size and bag limits is so that this natural resource will be around for everyone. There are always those people who take everything they can and they will get caught one day. Most fishers only take enough for a feed or to give to friends. We need to protect this natural resource for future generations - so like Jeremy87 said - hopefully they have their numbers right.

Nomes

seabug
25-07-2006, 12:20 PM
And if they get the numbers wrong our kids will get the fish equivalent of this. http://thetyee.ca/Life/2006/07/18/LabMeat/ :o :o :o :o

Regards
Seabug

lock
25-07-2006, 12:36 PM
Er .....thats different :o

Dirtysanchez
25-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Filth ! imagine the wind that would generate

Sorry for draggin the tone down :-?

HarryO
25-07-2006, 04:33 PM
I dunno, I think the new size / bag limits may be
working ok,
the last two years have been pretty good compared to the
previous six odd years, at least in Moreton Bay.

ibbo
25-07-2006, 08:59 PM
The size and bag limits take care of that

We have been catching HEAPS of 30-34cm squire at the moment

The next generations come through

Just watch for yellow raincoats ;)

IBBO

TinarooTriumph
25-07-2006, 09:11 PM
This is how I see it...

Just chill out! Theres plenty of fish out there for everyone and for a hell of a long time to come, providing we stick by these bag limits which the dudes ( ;D) set. If need be, they can be changed to suit depending on the state of things. Everything's running pretty smoothly to me as far as I see it... apart from those that like to indulge and get away with it. Those reckless fishermen are just degrading themselves as well as our fishing. I am still yet to come across a fishermen/s with a excessive haul of fish (Fresh or Salt), and for those that do get busted by me (or anyone of us for that matter) in the future... WATCH OUT!.

TT 8-)