PDA

View Full Version : Wild Dolphins & Feeding Them

marlinqld
21-07-2006, 05:54 PM
Rightly or wrongly, how can you resist them when fishing and they wander right up to you boat, and entertain you?????????? :)

These were taken at the sSunken Wall Pinkenba 4 weeks ago, Only got them online tonight. Took them with an old Nokia camera phone. The dolphin in the pics is the mother. Her baby jumped out of the water right in front of us, like she was putting on a show. ;D

How cool is that??????????? Where else in the world can you see wildlife like this so close up? :D How good is it?

marlinqld
21-07-2006, 05:55 PM
again

marlinqld
21-07-2006, 05:56 PM
and again

marlinqld
21-07-2006, 05:56 PM
and again

marlinqld
21-07-2006, 05:57 PM
one more time... note the top of her dorsel has been taken...... shark????????? or just fighting off males?????

land_based
21-07-2006, 06:21 PM
Thats awesome mike, what were you feeding it?? Squid?

Green
21-07-2006, 06:34 PM
Had one launch itself from under our boat once, just missed the sons squire he'd caught. Didn't miss it when we threw it back though. Great to see and feed them.

marlinqld
21-07-2006, 06:44 PM
We were feeding her squid, and she loved it.

Mike

Great_White
21-07-2006, 06:57 PM
That's pretty close Mike, what a lovely sight :) Have seen dolphins in the bay a couple of times but not that close.

Would the go your baited line? I am always worried about hooking up with one.

Peter ;)

shaman
21-07-2006, 06:57 PM
Why would we live anywhere else??????????????????????
Awesome pics, the dolphin with the nick out of her dorsal fin looks like one that knocked around in a pod off Redland Bay a few years back. I wonder if it's the same girl? she used to come right up close, so close in fact one day while underway I bumped her but fortunately she came up ok.....................................maybe the battle scars are due to a problem with her sonar???????????????............................Bi lly

S_Bend
21-07-2006, 10:14 PM
I'm with you Mike. There is always that thought at the back of your mind - should you feed them like this or not. I say as long as you're not passing them something they shouldn't normally have, then enjoy their company. They are intelligent animals and seem to enjoy being with us. I like seeing them around but not when the fish have been on the chew pretty hard. Seeing the dolphins come in always seems to put the fish off the bite.

Still, I'm a bit of a greenie so as long as we respect nature, go right ahead.

Thanks for the pics.

Got_the_Fever
22-07-2006, 08:21 AM
I dont know what could be better, a day on the boat and a beautiful creature like that coming to say hi. My wife comes from Germany, she saw her first wild dolphin the other day when we were out near bribie. She had a smile on her face that was worth everything I spent on the boat. It doesnt get any better.

Kel [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

bidkev
22-07-2006, 09:08 AM
That old girl gets around a bit. The nick on her dorsal is very similar to the one on the dolphin that has been hanging around at the E3 beacon for the past 18 months or so, although she is normally alone. I wonder if she's pupped since I last saw her?

kev

marlinqld
22-07-2006, 10:53 AM
I am sure the baby dolphin putting on the performance was hers.

It jumped and gave a hell of a performance. And when baby wasnt performing, she stuck to the motherr like glue, so i am sure it was her baby.

inspired
22-07-2006, 02:37 PM
hey saw the same dolphins about a month ago was out at the mouth with my boy no luck with the fishing so headed back to the ramp white Is when mother and young jumped out of no where near the morton barge terminal . we floated with them for 1/2 an hr fed them our left over bait my boy was over the moon. It was the High light of his day out . couldnt wait to go home to tell mum. Finished off a great day i recon

Jeff

shaman
22-07-2006, 03:35 PM
I moved to the g/coast 7 yrs ago and she was swimming around Reddy Bay for at least 5 yrs before that, so if it is her she's obviously a good age and still throwing pups...........................Billy

theoldlegend
22-07-2006, 04:08 PM
This is a true story!! ;)

Some years ago, my mate and I were fishing the drop off along Whiting Beach at Yamba and thought we'd drown some yabbies one afternoon.

There was a family with two young children there including us and these dolphins came along and they actually flicked about 3 or 4 baitfish up on to the beach with their noses as they drew level with us!! ;)

It looked like they wanted us to use the baitfish they had flicked up for us. Absolutely unbelievable.

Unfortunately, the dolphin police and the pelican police would have us believe that to feed these amazing animals is not allowed and will contribute to global warming, make droughts worse and all the rest of it.

But I have seen what I saw. I won't forget it.

TOL

pennman
26-07-2006, 08:08 AM
Somewhere else on this forum, someone asked what the best bait would be to catch flipper. In my mind that is a good enough reason not to feed them so they will not come begging for food so some jack a$$ can stick a hook in it!