PDA

View Full Version : Prawn Alert on DPI web

Dirtysanchez
12-07-2006, 12:19 PM
Hello Aufish members

Yesterday I was looking at the DPI QLD Fisheries website, for some info on Mackerel, and after being more confused than when I started looking I noticed an alert on the right side of the page about Prawns.

In particular the alert went on to say anglers should show caution when using prawns for bait or berley if they are bought from larger supermarkets as they could be imported and could contain harmful diseases / bacteria that we could be introducing to the local food chain!

It seems to pertain only to raw prawns, but holy sh1t !!
How do we know truthfully if the prawns we are buying are local or not ? sure they have a sign on them sometimes saying local or imported, but I have bought "local" prawns before and you just know they aren't the real McOy !!

I bet the soft plastic boys will be all over this like flies on poo

charleville
12-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Yep - after hearing Nugget talk on his radio show about the prawn diseases which don't affect humans but which could do serious damage to our wild stocks if the imported prawns are used as bait, i have ceased buying any prawns from supermarksts and shopping centre fish shops to use as bait.

I just use the frozen banana prawns that I get from Watertower Bait and Tackle now.

Fishin_Dan
12-07-2006, 12:37 PM
Buy your bait from a Fresh Seafood shop rather than a supermarket. You will get proper bait then (and local!)... It will outfish frozen crap, and won't have these problems.

Grunter71
12-07-2006, 12:38 PM
If they ban the import of a lot of fruit (bananas, apples etc), supposedly to protect our growers from any disease that may be imported with them, why can't they look at the same restrictions for the seafood imports, if there is that much risk involved.

Big_unit
12-07-2006, 12:49 PM
You would have to wonder why with all thier infinite wisdom and endless funding how the DPI&F / Customs / AQIS could allow uncooked fish product into the country at the risk of our fisheries not to mention public health issues.

I wonder if its worth a call to AQIS or Customs ?

Will the supermarkets / importers of this disease threat be held solely accountable in the event of a devastating disease outbreak ?

I note that on the " Border Security " show the Customs officers at Sydney Airport are frequently handing out fines and destroying food & plant material based on these reasons.

Cheers
James

S.S.
12-07-2006, 01:11 PM
Wouldn't it be more intelligent to actually ban the importation of green prawns if they're going to have a detrimental effect on our local stocks? # Anglers will go for the cheapest option and they WILL be used as bait whether the DPI does a campaign or not. #I've purchased w.a. pilchards from Pick N Pay Hypermarket and used them as bait in the past, what's to stop anyone from doing the same with prawns?

On another note, with seafood often being labelled incorrectly and the origin of the species is questionable at the best of times (ie, incorrectly labelled/not labelled), how are people supposed to identify an imported prawn against a local prawn?

Dirtysanchez
12-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Exactly LeeannP, this is my bigest concern, we all work off the assumption that what we buy from our local fisho or tackle shop is local stuff, because the packet says so (?)

Same at Woolies etc, just because they put a sticker on the window saying local doesn't mean diddly, they could be from Thaliand, and only the most discerning eater would pick it up !!

I bought a few KG of 'local' green bay prawns the other week from Woolies, took em home and cooked them and they were very average and I sincerely doubt they were truly Aussie prawns

I agree with the general concencus though, why the government or whoever even allow the importation of something that we can catch or grow ourselves with relative ease is the biggest issue !!

INDULGENCE
12-07-2006, 04:33 PM
Arent we bashing up the wrong people again.
I believe the supermarkets would not sell the prawns or imported fish if the major wholesalers didnt have them available.
I am sure that Mr Woolworth or his supermarket mates went along and said to the wholesalers that they wanted a product they could sell at a price the customer would pay for it, the wholesaler then went looking and found this low quality product.
Magic he brings in the product makes his money and the supermarket get all the flack.
Its time we put pressure on the wholesalers to protect our resources and only buy local,even if it is more costly and inconsistant in its supply.
There would be sometimes the public may have to miss out on his 2 fish meals a week,but we could be confident that the product being sold had no side effects and was not detrimental to our country

wally

Big_unit
12-07-2006, 04:47 PM
I said supermarket / importer, I really think that any pressure to any member of the buying chain is worthwhile when it comes to such an important issue.

a_big_red_1
12-07-2006, 04:54 PM
i get my prawns from the local seafood market ( tigers and king prawns ) i ask for battered and bruised ones, some without heads, i pay $8 per kg, i get to eat half (stir fry or chilly garlic ) and have a shite loads for bait
cheers
Daz

Lucky_Phill
12-07-2006, 05:10 PM
For your reading:-

Diseased imported prawns: anglers urged to be alert
News release | 27 June, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recreational fishers are being warned against using imported green (uncooked) prawns as bait or berley as they may be putting the State's prawn stocks at risk of a disease outbreak.

Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries Animal Biosecurity manager Ron Glanville said an education campaign launched today alerts recreational anglers, as well as bait suppliers and distributors, to the consequences that using imported green (uncooked) prawns could have on Queensland's prawn fishing industry.

"Imported green (uncooked) prawns from many Asian countries can carry exotic viruses such as White Spot Syndrome Virus (WSSV), Taura Syndrome Virus (TSV) or Yellowhead Virus (YHV)," Mr Glanville said.

"Although not dangerous to humans, these viruses could have devastating consequences for both the Australian prawn fishing and farming sectors.

"There has been a recent influx of imported prawns and while there are some controls on imported green (uncooked) prawns for human consumption, there is still a risk that they could be carrying exotic diseases. While these diseases are totally harmless to humans, they could be very harmful to our wild prawns.

"Introduced fish and shellfish diseases can have long-term effects on aquaculture industries, commercial fishers and aquatic ecosystems.

"It is therefore vitally important that anglers do not buy imported green (uncooked) prawns, which were only intended for human consumption, from the supermarket or fish shop and then use them for bait."

Mr Glanville said it is critical that anglers take the following steps to help keep Australian fisheries safe:

Only use Australian prawns or locally caught species for bait.
Never use imported green (uncooked) prawns as bait or heads and tails as berley.
Don't turf in the surf- always dispose of prawns carefully and never throw green (uncooked) prawn waste into waterways. Green (uncooked) prawn waste should not be disposed of into waterways, just in case it is carrying a disease.
"Biosecurity Australia is responsible for control measures for imported prawns and DPI&F will continue to support them in improving policies and processes for importation of green (uncooked) prawns to help protect Queensland's prawn stocks from disease," Mr Glanville said.

"However, anglers are asked to contact the DPI&F on 13 25 23 if they think that imported green (uncooked) prawns are being sold for bait.

"If anglers can take care with which prawns they use for bait, they can help preserve the relatively disease free status of Australian prawns," Mr Glanville said.

To raise awareness among anglers about the consequences of using imported green (uncooked) prawns as bait, DPI&F is now distributing educational materials to bait and tackle shops and other outlets throughout the State.

For more information contact DPI&F Business Information Centre on 13 25 23.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Media contact: Cassandra France, Ph +61 7 3404 3367

Cheers Phill ( non import prawn buyer )

Dignity
12-07-2006, 07:14 PM
On another note, with seafood often being labelled incorrectly and the origin of the species is questionable at the best of times (ie, incorrectly labelled/not labelled), how are people supposed to identify an imported prawn against a local prawn?

Check their eyes - if slanty they are imported
This does raise another question - can the DPI identify imported raw/cooked prawns

sam

Hornblower
12-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Well this is just another thing that can be blamed on us fishos if the wrong bugs into our system, and another reason for them (the politicians) to incur licenses - with fees- on us (which I have no objection to if the money goes back into providing fish stocks for us and funding for more farming of seafood products).

However, the thing that gets me - really and truly - is that countries like Japan and the United States who are the powerbase of the world economy, can simply stop imported meats and other products at the slightest hint of disease. However, Australia has to keep its end of the bargain up in the World Trade agreement - and that is to the detriment of everyone except the Asian Millionaire who owns the typhus and cholera ridden prawn and fish farms and who exploits his workers to the utmost.

Maybe I am just being cynical though, but a DPI alert just doesn't cut it, when what is called for is for those who are paid to protect us should just ban the import of these dodgy products.

Anyway, that's my broadside for the day, and I will leave you with this thought - the only person worse than a politican is a child molestor!

S.S.
13-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Here's a reply I got from DPI after suggesting that perhaps the uncooked prawns shouldn't be bought into the country in the first place:

"Both the issue of importing green (uncooked) prawns and the country of origin labelling are managed by the Federal Government and as such the Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries does not control this legislation. #However, DPI&F are #taking proactive steps to ensure people are aware of the risks associated with using imported green (uncooked) prawns as bait and encouraging people to make the right decision."

So the Federal Government opens the gates and the DPI&F have to chase the horse that's bolted. #Hmmm..... there are some clever people running our country # ::)

Big_unit
13-07-2006, 11:56 AM
So which federal department do we contact ?

Cheers
James

Dirtysanchez
13-07-2006, 01:43 PM
Good on you for chasing the DPI LeeannP, thats brilliant !

All the major supermarkets push their wholesalers to a price, and even then they often cut that down, I know a strawberry farmer who had an agreement for xx per kilo, so he planted the crop. When it was matured they came back and said nahh, half the original price or we will just import some from the USA & you can bury your crop.

He told them to shove it and his family sold most of it by the raodside around Brissy.

So, they charge us top dollar and expect to pay peanuts for it from the growers, why would it be different for seafood ?

As for the DPI palming it off to the federal government I reckon that is bullshite !!

Prawns are off my list now until I can find a decent reliable local supplier, or until I can master that bloody cast net ! :-[

jim_farrell
13-07-2006, 02:59 PM
I seem to remember 12 months ago when the central queensland citrus growers were burning all their trees to destroy an imported bug that it made the front page of papers and tv bulletins. Yet when an equal threat faces our local prawning industry, all that is mentioned is that rec fishos should be careful with their bait.
Surely any product should be disease free before entering our country.

Federally the law allows the importation of seafood. Now I disagree that it should be allowed, however that isn't the issue here.'Biosecurity' is the federal department responsible for screening these prawns.

Their email is 'biosecurityaustralia@daff.gov.au'

That said, surely DPI have a responsability to the local prawn industry to make sure that all imports are disease free, whether it is a life threatning disease or not.

State minister for primary industries is tim mulherin.
email ' dpi@ministerial.qld.gov.au'

This should be on today tonight, a current affair and front page of most papers.
I never thought i'd see the day that we would be told that something is safe to eat but not safe to use as bait. >:(

timbacutta
13-07-2006, 03:27 PM
If these prawns are not safe for us or for the prawns stocks why the hell do they allow them to be imported. Wether it is the State Government or the Federal Government who authorised the importation in the fist place, surely if it has been proved they are unsafe as the DPI alert has stated, then the importation licence must be revoked immeadiately. Isn't that what we pay these Govenment agencies for in the first place. >:( >:(

Refuse to buy the imported stuff personly, but plenty do. Too late to shut the gate after the horse has bolted.

Jeff.

jim_farrell
13-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Apparently they are ok for human consumption.

insideout
13-07-2006, 03:47 PM
its sort of like for example ,everybody knows that smoking will probably kill you eventually, but the gov wil not ban it because of the money it generates for them, in short ,if it lines their pockets with cash,and they can get away with it .they will try it on, no matter the product.....

Green
13-07-2006, 03:59 PM
The prawns spoke of and the diseases they carry may not be harmful to us directly, but you can bet your last buck the antibiotics they pump 'em full of could well be very harmful to us in the right quantities. Perhaps this is why the importation of these prawns is banned throughout America and Europe, sadly not Australia because there's a profit to be made by the supermarkets and the government. No different with the mekong catfish they're farming and sending over here or the rest of the garbage they're importing that's stripping the ass out of our economy. Like Hornblower said, ban the imports before it all turns to crap. Next time you're in Woolworths or Coles, ask the name of the additive they use to keep their fish looking new and smelling fresh, or alternatively you can believe that their product is so fresh it lasts for a week on the shelf.

Dirtysanchez
13-07-2006, 04:37 PM
Let me tell you I was in Malaysia in April this year and the people I was visiting thought it would be a treat to take me to a fish farm seeing as I was a fisho.. there was a restaurant attached to this "farm"

It was just like you see on the TV, the poor fish were caged in swamp like conditions, all their rubbish and filth poured into the water and most of the seafood, like lobster and prawn that was served up was undersize to our standard..

Not good, never thought I would leave such a place hungry, but there ya go.
I don't think we should be accepting any seafood from places where they have little or no standards towards the hygeine or health of the produce that they intend on exporting

I can see those picket lines outside the supermarkets now !!! :( :(

Camo
13-07-2006, 05:18 PM
Big_unit is right. Try bringing a kilo of fresh prawns through customs and see how far you get. But the big retailers can bring in container loads of them with no problem.

Camo

Got_the_Fever
13-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Hi All

It isnt just the supermarkets involved. I was at a seafood market in redcliffe a couple of months ago because they had a special on bay prawns. The only problem was these prawns where not bay prawns, they had been imported from Thailand. It was plainly labeled on the box that they were taking the prawns out of and putting onto the ice(this was both green and cooked). A few of the customers asked the women who was serving why they where selling thai prawns when the ad said locally caught bay prawns.

The only answer she could give is that the managment tell the staff what the prices are of the product they have. The answer has to come from us customers and the only way to do that is NOT to buy from those who treat us like fools or lie about the origin of the product. These days I only buy my prawns from a friend who catches them locally. This isnt possible for everyone I know, but it is a start.

Kel [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Hornblower
13-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Like I said yesterday fellow Fisho's, It is part of our obligations as signatories to the World Trade Agreement, and you know why - it is because the United Nations is dictating that other countries are not to be disadvantaged and of course the big supermarkets are playing off this by buying the stuff so they can make a quick buck. If we withdrew our support the UN would argue that we are directly causing third world workers to be exploited. My argument is that we are causing workers to be exploited and also putting our own environment, not to mention our own health at risk. Why can't we withdraw and simply say that if the produce does not meet the standards of the produce at home, then we will NOT import it into the country. Then the overseas exporters will be forced to lift their game, but no, if we do that, according to the agreement, then our produce exports will be banned from countries such as Japan and the US where there is such a huge market for us, and again, we lose out, or do we? It will then force the big supermarket chains to buy local seafood and sell it back into our economy. Something esle to think about - I bet when the Chief Executive of Coles or Woolworths sits down at lunch on Christmas Day, they're not having a couple tastless banana/tiger/king prawns from some Vietnamese cesspit that they sell in their own store. It would be nothing but the best!

Sorry for the rant guys, but this really has me worked up and I will find out why, off the relevant Federal Govt Agency tomorrow, and I will get back to you tomorrow night, probably with another broadside. >:( >:(

Till then, Cheers. ;)

Haji-Baba
13-07-2006, 10:32 PM
Go for it. If all you good people feel disadvantaged by the standards of prawn or fish imports add in the quality of fuel from overseas. You will get a shock if you delve into this one.
And don't think when you vote in our next election, Fedral or State that your choice of member will do much to help.
This country is now being governed by "Big Business" and Ceo's of overseas companies.

Just look at the salaries some of these people claim.

Yes the standards of imports is very suspect but don't wait for any department to take any positive action.
The citrus canker debacle is a classic example.
It goes on all over the country and will continue to erode our standards
and very little action will take place.

Don't get excited go fishing.

Have fun Haji-Baba.

GAFYM
13-07-2006, 11:30 PM
Guys,
Inside out and Green got it spot on....Money. I have a mate who is a pro fisherman at Iluka. Must sell his product to the co-op and the prawns are gone asap overseas. I will only buy my prawns to eat and for bait from the prawn farms down Woolgoolba way. Still kicking if u want it so. Cheaper than the crap from the Department stores and FRESH. Taste as good as the genuine stuff. :-X :-X
There is a place just out of Townsville (If i remember right..too old) called AIMS (Aust Institute for Marine Science),if u ever get the chance to visit do so as it is a real eye opener to what is happening in the marine science world. Some of the stuff these guys are doing in the Aquaculture region is mind boggling especially prawn farming/production. ;)

DICER
14-07-2006, 09:44 AM
I think that this is a good safeguard that the DPI is issuing, given that prawns are imported - and that it is not going change very quickly in the immediate future!. Fortunately this message has hit a target - us recreational fishos, and we have to take extra care about where we are getting our green prawns for fishing.

I'm sure that several labs DPI, CSIRO, AQIS and AAHL are currently testing for these viruses in imported stock as we speak. Currently I'm living in the Netherlands and there appears to be no restriction on imported prawns at the local markets. They come from as wide as Mexico, Maylsia, Brazil and Thai. The wider the importation, the higher the risk of disease. Furthermore I can tell you they none of the imports taste as good as Australian ones - Tigers, Bananas, Greasys, Kings - whatever.

dasher
14-07-2006, 04:43 PM
Here's a reply I got from DPI after suggesting that perhaps the uncooked prawns shouldn't be bought into the country in the first place:

"Both the issue of importing green (uncooked) prawns and the country of origin labelling are managed by the Federal Government and as such the Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries does not control this legislation. #However, DPI&F are #taking proactive steps to ensure people are aware of the risks associated with using imported green (uncooked) prawns as bait and encouraging people to make the right decision."

So the Federal Government opens the gates and the DPI&F have to chase the horse that's bolted. #Hmmm..... there are some clever people running our country # #::)

Yeah check out the customs website and you can't find anything, if it's not customs or DPI who's next.??

shaman
14-07-2006, 08:36 PM
[smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif]

ARGH-ARGH-ARGH-ARGH-ARGH-ARGH-ARGH-ARGH-ARGH-ARGH.

W T F is going on here Australia...............
FOR GODS SAKE........................................
WHO IS ANSWERABLE FOR THIS $HIT.......

I @#$%$#@ MAD AND I DON'T CARE WHO I BURN. THIS CRAP HAS GOTTA
STOP.....................WHAT ABOUT OUR KIDS AND GRANDKIDS, WHAT ARE THEY GONNA EAT ??????????????????........................BILLY

shaman
14-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Does anybody still have the e-mail address of that young journo from that northern gold coast newspaper, remember the shark report girl.
If so we could maybe get something started at some level........ BILLY

Hornblower
14-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Well, as promised, I rang DPI today and I politely asked who was responsible for letting this rubbish into the Country - and the Responsible body is AQIS short for "Australian Quaranteen Inspection Service". I then rang their Brisbane Office and politely asked the same question we have been asking on this website. I even quoted parts of the DPI warning especially the bit about the "potential devastating effects" to the environment and local prawn industry and I had the lady (Maryanne) stumped for a reply. She promised to refer the matter to "Imported Food Office" and took all of my details including e-mail address and promised to get back to me, possibly Monday. Well, no word today. One interesting thing I was told by AQIS was that all imported foods are scientifically inspected BEFORE they are allowed into our market. Begs the questions - How come DPI have picked this up and AQIS didn't? AND Why don't AQIS know about the DPI alert? :-/ Fair dinkum we pay more than our fair share of earnings in taxes so why don't we get the level of protection we deserve AND pay for through those taxes? >:( Further, I said that I was an avid watcher of Border Security and that this matter has only eroded the confidence that the show had built up. She could only agree. Stay Tuned!!!

Cheers ;)

Big_unit
14-07-2006, 09:20 PM
Guys I have been in contact with a journo who has read this thread along with her editor and they are more than likely going to do a story on this.

Cheers
James

shaman
15-07-2006, 04:08 PM
E-mailed Sarah-Jane (Sharks In Coomera) from Riverlands News last night and am hoping she will respond .......................Billy

BigE
15-07-2006, 07:02 PM
maybe border security would like the scoop on a special. international seafood ring importing product without going thru customs or Quaranteen. would make a good special dont you think? anyone have any contacts at Border security.

E

jim_farrell
15-07-2006, 07:21 PM
I don't believe it is an aqis problem as the disease is not an issue for humans. It only becomes a problem when the prawns end up in the water, therefor a DPI problem.
All that said I don't believe we should import prawns, diseased or not.

DICER
16-07-2006, 03:03 AM
I agree so - but we have been doing it for years and the same goes for pilchards etc. Now it doesn't take to much to think aout the West Australian pilchard kill does it???

Because you don't find something to read about it immediately - does not mean they are doing nothing!! Why did they say these particular viruses??

Check out the AAHL fish disease labs in Geelong. They are the headquarters for new disease identification.

Hornblower
16-07-2006, 03:28 AM
I guess what gets me is why, if there is ANY risk at all, doesn't someone stop their importation. DPI claim that they do not have the power to stop importation, and that may be right, so why haven't AQIS acted? I am still waiting for the reply off AQIS, so hopefully Monday. With any luck the journo's will shake things up a bit.

Dirtysanchez
17-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Good on you Hornblower, kick arse mate !

Geez I started a thing with this didn't I ? oh well, it is good to see people give a damn about things like this and want to do something about it.

Makes me want to go home tonight and salute the flag !!

Mind you, the Mrs grabbed some chinese takeaway on Friday night, you guessed it, curried prawns.. they weren't that tasty and you can guess what was going through my mind while I ate them.. ewwww :P

Hornblower
17-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Me again, sorry to go about all this, but I finnished nightwork this morning, came home, had a good sleep, woke up in a good mood about 3.00pm thinking about the next six days off and prospective fishing trips. ;D ;D Picked up the kids from school (Mood went down a notch with the fighting in the car) :) :), went to Beenleigh Bait and Tackle to pick up a reel that the fellas there had repaired and serviced for me at an excellent price, mood back up there ;D ;D. Thought about checking the answering machine for the response from AQIS, got home - nothing there! Oh well, not to worry they said they might e-mail the response, checked the old e-mail - nothing there - a dark mood came over me. >:( >:(

Will give them a ring tomorrow and find out what the story is. Mind you, after reading Dirtysanchez's last post my mood improved, nearly fell off the chair laughing thinking about the expression on his face eating the local chew and spues curried prawns. I'll try to stay positive, AQIS are probably really busy, but we deserve a reply.

Cheers ;) ;)

chrisfish
18-07-2006, 07:07 AM
Hornblower is right about the World Trade Agreement. I was in Canberra earlier this year talking to people from the Attorney-Generals Department, the Dept of Communication, Information Technology and the Arts and IP Australia. Any mention of the WTA made their faces sink lower than a NSW rugbly league supporter. They reckon Australia got f@ckd over bigtime. It's one way traffic with the US and John Howard loves being George Dubya's bumboy.

S.S.
18-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Some interesting reading re: risk assessment on the prawn situation.

http://www.daffa.gov.au/content/publications.cfm?ObjectID=27B461A7-E098-4522-B4B00184796DBEE3

Hornblower
18-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Thanks Leanne, It all seems a bit wishy washy with alot of statements and assertions but not alot telling you what those statements and assertions are based on - I do have a lot more reading with it yet though!!

As for today, unfortunately matrimonial duties called this afternoon and I had to take the wife to the shops. I WILL follow it up tomorrow though and post the results.

Cheers ;) ;)

Green
18-07-2006, 10:42 PM
Thanks Leeannp, for the reading material.

ABPMs 2000/57 and 2001/06 announced interim measures for the importation of prawns and prawn products which included a testing regime to demonstrate freedom from WSSV. In consultation with State and Territory governments and other experts, Biosecurity Australia has developed a testing program which will apply to all consignments of whole green and unpeeled headless prawns. Prawns will stay in quarantine bond until the results of the test are available. Batches that return positive results must be re-exported, destroyed or further processed in a facility approved by the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service (AQIS) for that purpose.

"Every consignment of whole green and unpeeled headless prawns will remain in quarantine until results from tests are available. Batches that return positive results (WSSV) must be re-exported, destroyed (would like to see reports), or further processed??. DPI says don't use as bait, why?"

Biosecurity Australia and the IRA team have been monitoring developments regarding the emergence of the prawn disease, TSV, including the spread of TSV into parts of Asia, the increased volume of imports, the lower cost of vannamei imports from Asia, and scientific information on the virus. TSV is exotic to Australia and is not a human health concern.

"The spread of TSV.... The lower cost of vannamei imports from asia.....
TSV is not a human health concern, but are the drugs used, in the quantity used?.

Taura syndrome is an internationally reportable viral disease affecting mainly vannamei prawns (Litopenaeus vannamei). Originally reported from Ecuador in cultured L. vannamei, the disease has since been associated with production losses in the Americas, and more recently in Asia. Its spread is usually associated with movements of live prawns. It is not known to manifest as a significant disease in the prawn species produced in Australia and there is no commercial vannamei prawn fishing or farming in Australia.

"The disease has been associated with production losses, (could wipe out an industry). It is not known to manifest significantly in prawn species produced in Australia, but there is no commercial vannamei prawn fishing or farming here.(maybe because the vannamei aren't found here locally?)

Biosecurity Australia has commissioned the Aquaculture Pathology Laboratory, University of Arizona in the United States, to research the susceptibility of five Australian crustacean species to infection with the Thai and Belize isolates of TSV by ingestion of infected prawn meat or by injection. The species were:

. banana prawn Fenneropenaeus merguiensis (challenged only with Thai TSV isolate),
. black tiger prawn Penaeus monodon,
. redclaw Cherax quadricarinatus,
. marron Cherax tenuimanus and
. the giant freshwater prawn Macrobrachium rosenbergii.

Significant clinical disease due to TSV was not observed in any of the Australian species challenged. Nor did challenge with TSV result in cumulative mass mortalities that are typical of TSV outbreaks among susceptible species. TSV nucleic acid was detected in all the species, although an active (replicative) infection was only detected in Fenneropenaeus merguiensis and Penaeus monodon, following injection challenge. The positive control prawns, L. vannamei, which were treated in the same way as the Australian animals, developed the disease and died.

"So only the Banana and Black tiger developed an active(replicative) infection?.
The positive control prawns, L. vannamei, which were treated in the same way as the Australian animals, developed the disease and died. If it was a replicative infection it must mean the Banana and Tiger died also?

Note that the conditions as listed in Attachment A are interim conditions. These will remain in place only until the current import risk analysis on prawns is completed and the final quarantine conditions are announced.

" Please note that the first, fifth and fortieth shipment must be disease free as we will be testing these. The failure of the testing of these shipments will result in our embarassment, hence the lower future price we will be submitting, hence the massive fines."

" That last Quote was not derived from any facts, anywhere, merely my view on this matter."

tunaman
19-07-2006, 12:12 AM
Interesting read! More and more Diseases will enter this country,
and there is no way of stopping them. The thing with viruses, is they
have a way of jumping the over to us! its only a matter of time.
And when the first human dies, by then, its to late.
Mark my words! We will pay for there mistakes!
Bird flu will be coming next!

signed tunaman

Got_the_Fever
19-07-2006, 04:43 AM
Good post Green, I will re-read it when I get home from work again today. I think it is a little early at 4.30am to understand it completely. Everyone is doing a great job researching this topic and suppling the info to us. Well done. We have a lot of smart ppl in this forum.

Kel [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Dirtysanchez
20-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Me again, #

Will give them a ring tomorrow and find out what the story is. #Mind you, after reading Dirtysanchez's last post my mood improved, nearly fell off the chair laughing thinking about the expression on his face eating the local chew and spues curried prawns. #I'll try to stay positive, AQIS are probably really busy, but we deserve a reply.

Cheers #;) ;)

Well mate you can keep laughing because they hit home over the past few days and I haven't been able to do much that takes me anymore than 10 Mtrs from the dunny :-?

Hornblower
20-07-2006, 09:43 PM
Well guys, yesterday went fishing in the monring, blew the turbo on the ptrol in the arvo and didn't get home until 8.00pm so a bit late to chase up AQIS yesterday, but you guessed it, no messages on the mobile, home phone or e-mail.

So first thing this morning I was on to them. Asked to speak with the woman I spoke with on Friday, they asked my name (perhaps I shouldn't have given it) and was told she was "not at her desk" and so went the merry go round for the next couple of calls throughout the day, every time I left my name and phone number.

I have tomorrow off and the good wife has to go into town, I might just look the up in the phone book and show up on the doorstep if I haven't received a reply by the time she is ready to go.

I hate to be given the run around, they have had enough time to come up with a response - even a BS one!!

Cheers ;) ;)

Hornblower
20-07-2006, 09:46 PM
Ouch, DirtySanchez, I was only joking before, you should drop in a stool sample for the AQIS people in an open jar - that should cause an international concern ;) ;)

PS: On the serious side mate, hope you get back on your feet soon, had Bali Belly once - not much fun :'( :'(

Hornblower
20-07-2006, 09:57 PM
Guys, sorry to keep posting but I just re-read Green's Post and realsied there are some salient points in that. If there is a doctor or virologist out there, please set me right if I am wrong on this next point, but I was led to beleive that virus's are so dangerous because they have a nasty tendency to mutate when they are running out of hosts or because they develop and evolve. If that is so, then it must be a concern for ALL prawns and not just the target species.

Will confirm tomorrow!

DICER
20-07-2006, 11:13 PM
No - in this case the prawn viruses would be quite specific and restricted in host range - therefore they would only infect prawns and related crustaceans, not humans or mammals.

Other classes of viruses would be able to cross species like bird flu. It is true some viruses can go from plants to animals, but it is very rare. In the case of these prawn viruses they only infect prawns.

tunaman
21-07-2006, 01:22 AM
How many viruses do you know of that stay in there classes? that dont change, well there is alot of them that cant and thats true. But its the what if . Just some food for thought. thats all.

signed tunaman

DICER
21-07-2006, 08:18 AM
quite a few stay in a limited host range - and actually we do have a chance at containment for both human and animal viruses. Sometimes this depends also on the natural resevoir. What you don't want happening is say recombination between Australian viruses and viruses from imported products. A more virulent and persistent virus may emerge from an individual that becomes infected with the wild type strain and the imported strain. We just don't want these viruses entering into Australia or into our waterways.

Green
21-07-2006, 02:56 PM
I personally, would like to see how many shipments have been sent back because of disease, versus how many have been accepted.
How does AQIS know when the prawns have been harvested quickly so an outbreak does not wipe out the entire batch?
While it has generally been accepted that these prawns and the viruses are not fatal to humans. What research has been carried out on the antibiotics that these countries use to stem the viruses, in the quantities they use.
Then what health risks do these antibiotics pose to us, if any, over a period/rate of consumption/ingestion?
The major case thus far for denying the importation of this rubbish is huge in the fact it poses a very significant threat to our wild stocks, (part of the food chain) if that part of the chain is reduced to near nil, the rest of the chain will suffer both above and below. Not Good.. >:(

Dirtysanchez
21-07-2006, 04:07 PM
Hi Hornblower, well I am back at work now, and am interested in how you are now getting the usual government departmental runaround now you have raised your ire.. I am sure you have been declared a trouble maker by the DPI.

It's a shame it isn't a simple issue in a free country to be able to get accurate and reasonable information about something that could affect all of us.

Good on all of you for caring about this, I am floored by the interest this has started and am proud of my fellow Ausfish members for their care

shaman
21-07-2006, 07:12 PM
No answer from Sarah-Jane (journo) re this topic,will keep trying, might even ring the Bulletin on Monday........................Billy

DICER
21-07-2006, 08:33 PM
There is a misconception that antibiotics can be used to combat viral infections. Antibiotics are only active against bacteria, fungi and other higher organisms. Viruses unfortunately are not susceptible to antibiotics, so there is absolutely no commercial way to contain an viral outbreak except to destroy your stocks and or holding ponds. That's why it is really important to keep these viruses out.

It may actually be that there are low levels of antibiotics present in farmed and imported prawns.

I would also like to know some AQIS figures on imports, re-exports (due to disease) and results of testing.

Hornblower
21-07-2006, 10:26 PM
Well guys, tried ringing again today and have had no reply. Someone there gave her direct number - apparently - and I rang it a number of times and NOBODY answered it, nor did it go back to a switchboard operator - dare I say there is something fishy on this. I will write a letter and post it's contents over the course of the weekend, and I WILL send it certified mail (always worth the money when deailing with the Govt because you are sure to get a response knowing that some poor nobody has had to sign for it). Anyway, I'm not going away, lest I have a poisoned prawn like poor old "Dirty". It's good to see you back on deck DirtySanchez.

Till next time, cheers ;) ;) ;)

Dirtysanchez
22-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Well lets just say who needs river fire when you eat the local curry !!!

Good luck mate :D

Big_unit
26-07-2006, 10:50 PM
Big day tommorrow, reporter is coming out to get a picture and some thoughts from a recreational fisho's perspective.

Cheers
James

fishingjew
27-07-2006, 01:50 AM
Biosecurity australian policy memorandum 2006/16
Prawns and prawn products

fishingjew
27-07-2006, 02:11 AM
CODES OF PRACTICE FOR THE USE AND DISPOSAL OF IMPORTED AQUATIC ANIMAL PRODUCTS

fishingjew
27-07-2006, 02:35 AM
ANIMAL QUARANTINE POLICY MEMORANDUM 2000/29

fishingjew
27-07-2006, 03:16 PM
Bit more info on this subject

Current Import Risk Analysis: Prawns and Prawn Products

The following list contains documents relating to the import risk analysis for Prawns and Prawn Products.

If you experience any trouble accessing the file in the following downloadable formats, a copy can be obtained from:

Animal Biosecurity
GPO Box 858, Canberra ACT 2601
animalbiosecurity@daff.gov.au
Ph: +61 2 6272 4465
Fax: +61 2 6272 3399

Reference documents

BAPM Description Word PDF
2006/16

2006/16a
Revised IRA Team Membership & Progress Report, 16/5/06

Summary of TSV infection challenges
[48KB]

[182KB]
[35KB]

[88KB]

ABPM Description Word PDF
2004/05 IRA Team Membership, 2/3/04
[40KB] [39KB]

2003/16 Progress Report, 30/6/03 [51KB]
[173KB]

2003/11
Bait and Berley Survey of Recreational Fishers, 2/4/03
[42KB]
[139KB]

2002/33

2002/33a
Quarantine Review: Highly Processed Prawn Products, 25/6/02

Interim Import Conditions
[56KB]

[50KB]
[39KB]

[29KB]

2002/32
Progress Report, 24/6/02
[75KB] [191KB]
2002/16
Progress Report, 22/4/02
[72KB] [120KB]
2002/11

2002/11a
Non-Viable Prawn & Prawn Products - Release of Progress Report, 25/3/02

Progress Report: Summary of Stakeholder responses to Draft IRA Report for discussion at Public Stakeholder Meetings
[72KB]

[122KB]
[120KB]

[187KB]

2001/11

2001/11a
Importation of Uncooked Prawn & Prawn Products: Advice on Quarantine Measures, 28/5/01

Interim Conditions, 28/5/01
[54KB]

[28KB]
[28KB]

[31KB]

2001/06 Uncooked (Green Prawns): Tighter Import Conditions, 7/2/01 [82KB] [38KB]
2000/57 Uncooked (Green Prawns): Interim Conditions, 14/12/00 [34KB] [21KB]
2000/41

2000/41a
Release of Draft IRA Paper, 25/8/00

Draft Report
[28KB]

[1.05MB]
[16KB]

[463KB]

2000/19 Progress Report, 7/3/00 [28KB] [19KB]
1999/20 Progress Report, 11/3/99 [18KB] [23KB]
1998/86

1998/86a

1998/86b

1998/86c
Release of Technical Issues Paper, 14/11/98

Technical Issues Paper

Scope and Issues Paper

Annex 1: Review of Pathogens of Prawns
[12KB]

[886KB]

[192KB]

[271KB]
[17KB]

[92KB]

[154KB]

[211KB]

1998/42 Progress Report, 8/5/98 [14KB] [18KB]
1998/19 Outcome of an Appeal against process, 19/2/98 [13KB] [15KB]

http://www.daff.gov.au/content/publications.cfm?ObjectID=27B461A7-E098-4522-B4B00184796DBEE3

bidkev
27-07-2006, 05:26 PM
Big day tommorrow, reporter is coming out to get a picture and some thoughts from a recreational fisho's perspective.

Cheers
James

Good on yer James.........stick it to 'em mate. My thanks to all the others that are giving of their time to chase this up.

Going off topic here but further to what one member wrote about additives. I bought milk to day with 12 days shelf life on it and eggs with 5 weeks :o :o What the bloody hell are they sticking in this stuff? :o There was a time when milk was off within 3 or 4 days and eggs lasted no more than a couple of weeks............I suppose they call this "progress" but it makes you wonder what we're really eating.

kev

Dirtysanchez
28-07-2006, 12:24 PM
Kev, I agree mate, How do eggs stay good for 5 weeks ? I know in the fridge they stand a better than average chance of not going off, but blehh, after that long in the fridge they wouldn't be that nice to eat !

James, as Kingtin said mate, how did you go pls ?

Russ

Green
28-07-2006, 01:47 PM
I have just read an article from the 'Bulletin', dated 29Nov. '05. Titled 'Things that batter', by Anthony Hoy.
Interesting read, while this article is not about overseas prawns it does cover the rubbish fish (basa), that certain parties believe is good enough for us to eat. It mentions some curious farming methods and also ways to keep seafood looking good for extended periods,(wonder if our supermarkets are using these chemicals also?) Great to see the standards are one sided in relation to quality of products.
I'm not 100% on how to get this article onto these pages.
I've also heard the chemicals used to treat bacteria in these ponds,(for prawns and fish) could very well be cancer causing agents, i'll keep looking in to it but my research skills aren't the best.

Green
28-07-2006, 04:31 PM
Fish and chips, a wedge of lemon, lashings of batter and salt – a splash of vinegar to dilute the grease, perhaps – and all washed down with a soft drink, a frosty ale or a glass of vino.
December, the start of the long, hot summer. Bring on the lazy weekends and coastal holidays. Forget slaving over a hot stove or a barbecue: dinner is served, at the beach, in cardboard cartons, or parcelled up in newsprint lined with greaseproof paper.

But something is missing, and it’s not the seagulls or the flies. The good, fresh, local catch that Australians have for generations associated with their fish and chips – the flathead, snapper, silver and john dory, red fish, bream and whiting – are in increasingly short supply and, as a result, are becoming prohibitively expensive.

In their place in the fish-and-chips pack, like it or not, is “Pacific dory”, the so-called “catch of the day” – an innocuous skinless, boneless and bland-flavoured fillet.

Pacific dory is now Australia’s biggest-selling fish, according to the Master Fish Merchants Association (MFMA). With sales approaching a staggering 7000 tonnes this year, it is driving a fish shop revolution. Says MFMA chief executive, Michael Kitchener: “Because it is relatively cheap, retailing at around $10 per kilogram, the public love it.”

The problem, according to the chairman of the Australian Fish Names Committee, Roy Palmer, is that Pacific dory has never seen the Pacific – or any other ocean, for that matter. And it is nothing like a dory.

Here’s food for thought: the fish you will probably sink your teeth into the next time you are beachside and hungry has been raised in cages suspended under houseboats and barges in the crowded and polluted waters of Vietnam’s Mekong River.

The same snap-frozen and imported fish, says Palmer, is being sold as a popular line in Australian supermarkets under the deceptive marketing label, “freshwater fillet”.

It is Pangasius bocourti, one of 21 species of freshwater catfish found in the Mekong basin, and – in a move designed to curb deceptive naming practices by fishmongers and supermarkets – last year christened “basa” under Seafood Services Australia’s uniform fish names process.

“Basa’s success in the marketplace has been a key factor in fish imports from Vietnam doubling in 2002-03 and then doubling again last year,” says managing director of the Sydney Fish Market, Grahame Turk.

An estimated 300,000 to 400,000 Vietnamese are involved in the government-owned basa fishery. It produces more basa than Australia’s total seafood production of 550,000 tonnes a year, according to Turk, who is also deputy chairman of the Australian Seafood Industry Council. Vietnam’s basa production, Turk says, is expected to reach 1 million tonnes a year within five years. Vietnam’s catfish exports have already decimated the local catfish industry in the US where producers are fighting back.

There is no basa-farming standard among Vietnamese processors, according to the American domestic fishing lobby, thus there is no distinction in the marketplace between professionally farmed product and caged fish from Mekong houseboats and barges.

Sewage systems along the Mekong struggle to keep pace with rapid development, and run-off from the river’s hinterland is polluted by fertilisers and pesticides.

American industry sources claim large stocks of basa are fed through holes cut in the floors of houseboats, the human waste from which also goes straight into the river. Food for the fish includes vegetable and crop waste, rice bran and animal waste.

The Mekong and associated aquaculture ponds have a high silt concentration, say the Americans, and it is common Vietnamese practice to soak the basa fillets in sodium tripolyphosphate (STPP), a chemical used as a preservative and seafood “texturiser”.

This means that consumers who purchase basa by weight from Australian #supermarkets need to be wary, because fish treated with STPP retain more water.

In August, the American states of Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana suspended the sale of all Vietnamese aquatic products, following the discovery of the antibiotics ciprofloxacin and enrofloxacin in basa imports.

Ciprofoxacin and enrofloxacin – prohibited in western countries because of the risk of their transferring resistant micro-organisms to humans – were being used by some Mekong River basa producers to combat salmonella and other disease in fish.

The antibiotics can also lead to the development of the infectious disease campylobacter, which can cause diarrhoea, abdominal pain, fever, nausea and vomiting. Vietnam’s Ministry of Fisheries has foreshadowed restrictions on the use of 11 antibiotics in its aquatic products sector.The use of the name basa in place of Pacific dory is not yet mandatory in Australia, says Roy Palmer, “even though there are a lot of reasons why it should be”.

An Australian standard for fish names is expected to be launched early in the new year, as a preliminary step towards legislative controls.

“One of the problems is that every state has different arrangements,” Palmer says. “Until there is uniformity, people can drive holes through these issues.

“And the Australian Quarantine Inspection Service [charged with responsibility for making sure imports meet Australian food standards] does not check fish names. This remains a big problem.”

Dirtysanchez
28-07-2006, 04:40 PM
:'( :'( :'( *** VOMIT *** :'( :'( :'(

OMIGOD !!

Now I feel green (no offence to Ausfish membebr Green by the way)

Sigh

And to think the good old school shark was the staple fish and chips for years, and before that the humble Gem fish

How sad it is!