PDA

View Full Version : how close is to close

kitty_cat
31-07-2006, 09:35 AM
i was fishing off moreton yesterday when a charter boat (tom cat charters)was heading towards us
to my surpise he pulls up within talking distance 30-40mtrs maybe closer and then proceeds to keep his motors running right on my drift line bullshit i couldnt belive it.i had been drifting this line for a good hr or longer and was pulling some good fish (will post in reports).
the skipper did not come out of the helm room and the customers on board his charter were not to blame but you could see on there faces (because they were so close i could see all there expresions)this was not right.no laws were broken but the unwritten skippers rules most certantly were .

tom cat charters i work for springwood marine and often give your name to people interested in a local charter.

griz066
31-07-2006, 09:43 AM
Been out with them once NEVER again, we drifted till we hit his mark caught a few and then he wouldn't throw the pick, when we got back to dock the skipper and deckie threw the fish on the pontoon and 1/2 dozen went over the edge he said there's ya fish guys thanks for coming.

I called him for the pr!ck he was and tell this story whenever the name comes up.
Bad news travells better than good.

That's my 2 bits worth

seatime
31-07-2006, 10:08 AM
Bad news indeed travels far and wide. These operators must realise that bad advertising reaches more customers than good advertising.

What goes around, comes around, the days of bums on seats and 'there's plenty more suckers where they came from' are fast coming to an end.
Customers are more discerning these days and any hint of bad press and they'll shop elsewhere.
thanks for the tip on Tom Cat Charters!

rgds

timddo
31-07-2006, 10:09 AM
mate, The charter boat wouldn't have a clue where you dift. I fish the goldcoast and where i fish we only park say 10m to 20 meters apart( broadwater). If your difting thats just bad luck if they achor 40 meters away. The fish only live within a 50 meters of an area and on good nites there may be 7 to 12 boats, so you do the figures.

kitty_cat
31-07-2006, 10:17 AM
mate charter boats do no drift patterns thats why there there charter operators there proffesional skippers and this is no river, offshore the is klms of reef everywhere and to fish 50 60 100mtrs away allgood but that close is like i said bullshit

finding_time
31-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Wayne

How often does that happen?? Some of these guys believe it's there ocean. We used to get it from one particular operator that insisted on fishing the same wreck we were diving. We were there first and under water and this clown would come over the wreck and get everyone to drop. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o They would all snag on the shot line and drag it off the wreck ,Very Very dangerous.

Ian

Jeremy
31-07-2006, 11:41 AM
I agree, this is just wrong. There are plenty of reefs to fish and they would know most of them.

I usually anchor when I fish offshore, and anyone who comes within 50 m gets an earful. It is not pleasant :o, and they usually leave ;D

Jeremy

Big_Ren
31-07-2006, 12:03 PM
I'm with you Wayne. That's just plain rude what they're doing. Put the boot on the other foot and I'm sure he would be mighty peeved if you blow flyed him and set up shop in his drift line >:(

The looks on the faces of the paying punters says it all. :-[ :-[

He has broken all the unwritten rules and simply lacks a sense of common decency and courtesy.

I hope you do him no more marketing favours!

Cheers
Paul

kitty_cat
31-07-2006, 12:37 PM
after these other replys as well cant say to many good things come from that company to promote

Blackened
31-07-2006, 12:48 PM
G'day
I'd agree that he was in the wrong, after being a deckie on offshore charter boats myself we have never had anything like this happen. However, we did have a trailerboat come behind us when we were trolling skirts and lost a nice wahoo on shotgun as he ran over the lines....... skipper wasn't the happiest after that. If I were you kitty cat, just shoot a nice email off to tomcat charters and be nice about it, put a link to this thread and see if there is any kind of change in attitude as far as this skipper is concerned.
Dave

snappa
31-07-2006, 01:18 PM
hi wayne

join the club ..
when it happens ..u just cannt believe a skippper would come so close ..

then when they shift[move] they pass within spitting distant .i had my deckie and a customer on charter talking to each other ... i couldnt speak because i was so wild .. >:(

i think they are trying to muscle u out of the way ...

and yes the bloody sound of the motors and the fumes .. no wonder some of the customers get SICK ....

come 1770 i will turn the outboard off and be very QUIET..... ;D ;D

kitty_cat
31-07-2006, 02:53 PM
pete amagine the shit i would cop if i pulled up on him that close ,felt like folling him around for a few hrs to see how he liked it.

DALEPRICE
31-07-2006, 03:53 PM
sad to hear that it still happens.

Big_unit
31-07-2006, 04:05 PM
Slingshots boys and girls SLINGSHOTS I tell ya, they work wonders.

;) ;)

Cheers
James

kitty_cat
31-07-2006, 04:32 PM
mate i didnt need a sling shot he was that bloody close >:(
i couldnt take it out on the guys fishing they were just there to fish on a charter day out

born2fly
31-07-2006, 08:04 PM
Not good at all to see this happening, though I must admit I've been out on a lot of Charters on the Gold Coasr where you are on to a big fish and turkeys come from far and wide to anchor literally withinm spitting distance away. Had one turkey a while ago anchor right next to us, we got ontoa nice mack tuna that proceeded to do laps around his anchor rope, he cut us off and claimed that he had caught the fish >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

So it does go both ways, just wish people had more common sense :'(

Bundy_Burp
31-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Has happened to me before I usually let them know exactly what I think of them and then for some reason they disappear maybe its the swearing maybe its the PA speaker rigged up to the radio all I know is its bl@@dy load .

Bundy 8-)

skippa
31-07-2006, 08:44 PM
Yes it works both ways I guess.

I was fishing off the Goldie with a mate last year where he was anchored and a charter operator drifted past him, contact was made an a few ensuring words where exchanged ... >:(

Sunday I was out at the 36's of the Goldie when a charter operator anchored a distance away. Within minutes he was surrounded by half a doz boats.

Even some plick followed me a round for a while too ... obviously he didn't know me or he woulda followed someone who knew what he was doing ::)

Cheers,
Tony 8-)

Great_White
31-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Sad that this sort of thing happens with intention, It could be excused if it was accidental >:(

This guy should be an extra careful as he is trying to run a professional charter, pissing people off is just not the way to do it. >:( >:( >:( >:(

I was looking at going out for a charter thanks for eliminating one straight away, I don't want to be on a boat paying good money to someone that doesn't want to look after me and my 10 friends (It's for my birthday ) >:( >:(

Anyone recommend a good operator?????????????????????

Peter.

born2fly
31-07-2006, 09:14 PM
Mate, off the GoldCoastcan recommend Fish the Deep Charters. Great boat, great skipper and Deckie. Was alround a fantastic time out, as for Brisbane unfortunately have not had the opportunity, was thinking of Tomcat but after this, "Hell no we won't Go" ;D ;D ;D

kitty_cat
01-08-2006, 07:28 AM
if you wont fish mate try outside edge on the sunny coast andrew gets on this site a bit ,or down the goldie frenzy charters are really good

seafarer3
01-08-2006, 08:03 AM
I also here ya,
Have heard of bad stories as well....
The list goes on...........

seafarer3
01-08-2006, 08:05 AM
I also here ya,
Have heard of bad stories as well....with tom cat
The list goes on...........

iank
01-08-2006, 08:28 AM
Great White, as born2fly said, Fish the Deep Charters on the GC has to be one of the most professional outfits I have had the pleasure to fish on, even on slow days Matt (skipper) and Jason (deckie) work their butts off to make sure everone has a fish or two to take home and that a very enjoyable day is had by all.
Cheers Ian

Great_White
01-08-2006, 09:34 PM
Thanks born2fly & iank for the advise will look into it :)

Peter ;)

wanttofish
01-08-2006, 10:35 PM
i've been with fish the deep charters a few times and couldn't fault them at all

Got_the_Fever
02-08-2006, 07:32 AM
I was going to take my wife on a charter before she goes to Germany for a couple of months to visit her parents and celebrate her dads 60th birthday. I wont be using Tomcat now. Can anyone suggest a good operator around redcliffe area to maybe go out to tempest or somewhere similar. I have never been out there so it would be something new for the both of us.

Kel

ps. happy upcoming birthday peter

Az
02-08-2006, 09:07 AM
I was going to take my wife on a charter before she goes to Germany for a couple of months to visit her parents and celebrate her dads 60th birthday. I wont be using Tomcat now. Can anyone suggest a good operator around redcliffe area to maybe go out to tempest or somewhere similar. I have never been out there so it would be something new for the both of us.

Kel

ps. happy upcoming birthday peter

For this area I would recommend John Palermo
http://www.johnpalermo.com/

for sunshine coast outside edge with Andrew Yeh
http://www.outsideedge.com.au

Got_the_Fever
02-08-2006, 09:42 AM
Thanks Az. That name is as well known as any when it comes to fishing.

Kel

Az
02-08-2006, 10:58 AM
You won't be dissapointed with either of those
both have excellent customer service which is what you want and what your paying for

marlinqld
02-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Out of brisbane i can highly recommend Seaview.... great crew and a great day been out with them quite alot in the past

Mike

jim_farrell
03-08-2006, 11:37 AM
Don't know how soon you are going, but I fished 50s 36s and 24s out of the seaway on the weekend for little return. I had on board guys who fish moreton and sunshine coast who couldn't believe the poor size and lack of variety.
If you are spending the dough, i'd look to the two recommended above.
Nothing against the GC operators, just a quieter winter than normal. Maybe just me... :-[

Dirtysanchez
03-08-2006, 03:02 PM
I went on Reel Easy once, out of Redcliffe, he wasn't too flash :-X

Murks
03-08-2006, 04:01 PM
good post kitty kat but its not reserved just for the charter operators, my little spot(albeit unproductive) started at just me and within an hr there was exactly 8 boats within a
200mt radius off east peel on sunday. I was closed in and i had to watch were i was casting in the end....and yes it does give ya the$#@!!
Brett

Blackened
03-08-2006, 07:21 PM
G'day
Dirtysanchez... what experiances have you had on reeleasy?
Dave

Astro
04-08-2006, 05:45 PM
My experience was overboard - Close encounters of the 36s kind

http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1147092433/8#8

kitty_cat
05-08-2006, 11:16 AM
i have spoken to the owner of tomcat charters today and have let him have hes say in the comments i have made.
he has expressed to me that the grounds we were on were very limited in the wreck size so to be close is enevatable ,that this sort of thing could happen and i agree to a point but stessed to him that i still am asking the question. is there a time when you should just fish somewere else rather than being this close, i will still hold my ground that on sunday i think he was to close but glad he called to at least talk about it .
wayne

TCC
05-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Tom Cat reply to How close is to close
My apologies for any ill feeling you may harbor against us
We try our utmost to be as courteous and professional as we can to our customers and to our fellow fishermen on the water
To suggest that our skipper may have been a bit pushy I think is unfair.
The Sunday this incident ocurred was on a wreck of a sunken trawler measuring 18 x6m
It is quite possible to work 2 or more boats over this wreck,as we have done on countless occasions.However as you must understand all boats must drift the same line on a rotation basis
I hope this may help to explain the reason for our boat working so close
Always more than happy to discuss any issues
Regards Tommo

michaelddd
01-05-2007, 02:05 PM
dont forget the private idiots that drop a parachute 50m in front of a charter boat while they are drifting,it goes both ways

reelman
01-05-2007, 03:34 PM
[quote=kitty_cat;382034]i was fishing off moreton yesterday when a charter boat (tom cat charters)was heading towards us
to my surpise he pulls up within talking distance 30-40mtrs maybe closer and then proceeds to keep his motors running right on my drift line bullshit i couldnt belive it.i had been drifting this line for a good hr or longer and was pulling some good fish (will post in reports).
the skipper did not come out of the helm room and the customers on board his charter were not to blame but you could see on there faces (because they were so close i could see all there expresions)this was not right.no laws were broken but the unwritten skippers rules most certantly were .

tom cat charters i work for springwood marine and often give your name to people interested in a local charter.[/qu ME AND A FEW MATES ARE GOING NORTH AND WERE LOOKING @ THAT CHARTER THANK YOU FOR THE INFO IM GOING FISHING OFF FRASER NOW BETTER FISHING THERE ANYWAY

Jeremy
02-05-2007, 07:25 AM
Tom Cat reply to How close is to close
My apologies for any ill feeling you may harbor against us
We try our utmost to be as courteous and professional as we can to our customers and to our fellow fishermen on the water
To suggest that our skipper may have been a bit pushy I think is unfair.
The Sunday this incident ocurred was on a wreck of a sunken trawler measuring 18 x6m
It is quite possible to work 2 or more boats over this wreck,as we have done on countless occasions.However as you must understand all boats must drift the same line on a rotation basis
I hope this may help to explain the reason for our boat working so close
Always more than happy to discuss any issues
Regards Tommo

I agree with Kitty Cat here. He was there first. The responsibility is on the second boat to keep out of their way if they want to fish there also. If there isn't room, then bad luck, go somewhere else.

I once tried several times to call up Tom Cat on ch 16 VHF as I was crossing the Amity channel to ask them if I could follow them through. No reply despite several calls over a few minute period. I know commercial skippers are obliged to monitor ch 16. Rude and poor form IMHO.

Jeremy

JEWIENEWIE
02-05-2007, 03:34 PM
That is poor form, i am new to offshore ettiquette but thought common sense would to be at least give a reply, what if you needed assistance?
He either couldnt give a toss or wasnt monitoring ch16.
Jewie

michaelddd
03-05-2007, 04:58 PM
8-) u cant always listen to the radio.sometimes they are turned of so dont think he was rude......it probably wasnt on or he could not hear you

sid_fishes
03-05-2007, 06:16 PM
so why do they tell us when we sit all these exams that it is our right to monitor certain channels, and he can calmly say it was not on or he could not hear, mate im deaf but i make my deckies listen, no excuse imo rude no stupid yes its a bad thing to be spoken about on a open fourem like this. as the average punter pays for his service and dont get what they think they shoud get they wont go thet again just my opinion

Seahorse
03-05-2007, 06:49 PM
i was told by a mate this week that he was going to organise a trip on top cat charters. Will be going elsewhere now. I think it sucks. Thanks for the info.
Just like on the road with trucks.

sid_fishes
03-05-2007, 07:11 PM
is that on the open road or with the around town clowns

finding_time
03-05-2007, 07:17 PM
dont forget the private idiots that drop a parachute 50m in front of a charter boat while they are drifting,it goes both ways

Mate the ocean is full of them but unlike the charter operator they probably just dont know any better, chater operators are out there most days and just because they have a boat full of punters doesn't mean they have right of way;)

Ian

Ps. which boat do you work on Michael?

michaelddd
05-05-2007, 07:18 PM
I agree with Kitty Cat here. He was there first. The responsibility is on the second boat to keep out of their way if they want to fish there also. If there isn't room, then bad luck, go somewhere else.

I once tried several times to call up Tom Cat on ch 16 VHF as I was crossing the Amity channel to ask them if I could follow them through. No reply despite several calls over a few minute period. I know commercial skippers are obliged to monitor ch 16. Rude and poor form IMHO.

Jeremy
well you should not be crossing bars if you cant cross one without a charter boat anyway mate.