PDA

View Full Version : Who's a good Fish cleaner

fishn-ads
03-08-2006, 11:36 AM
Sorry if it's been covered but was unable to find anything on this site.

After reading another topic it got me thinking it would be a good idea to add to "Hints and Tips" a video or two on cleaning fish.

I am quite experienced in cleaning fish and am able too Gut, Fillet, Butterfly Fillet, Skin, Bone with professional quality and speed but don't have the techinical prowess or equipment too make a decent video.

So maybe one you Gurus are able to give this some consideration?

Otherwise just tell us how Good you are or aren't?

Ads

dan88
03-08-2006, 03:20 PM
haha not everyone is as modest as you tho :D. I personally suck at it ;D. Never really had anyone teach me properly so i usually just gut/head them and cook them like that with garlic/butter/seasoning/chilli and lemon juice. Tastes good but i would like to be taught how to fillet properly. I think i would just have to do it a few times so i reckon il just make an attempt, but in the past when i have tried i have lost plenty of meat and end up feeling bad for killing the fish
daniel

hogesTS
03-08-2006, 03:39 PM
yeah i too suck at filleting, i have only tried it a few times and it takes for bloody ever and i end up with hardly any meat left :( :-/ so i usually convince whoever i go fishing with to do the filleting and i clean the boat ::)

wetnwild11
03-08-2006, 05:09 PM
Hey, I'll let you know how good I am when I catch some FISH to fillet.
Cheers
Eric

bidkev
03-08-2006, 05:27 PM
Vermin don't need filleting ;D

kev

jim_farrell
03-08-2006, 06:18 PM
I'm no expert either guys but it does come with experience. Start with bigger fish, if they are big enough to waste a bit, fillet them yourself. If someone else does them all for you you will never improve.
We were all new to it at some stage and my mates tell me that i am still s#$%t. ;D ;D
Good luck

Commodore
03-08-2006, 09:08 PM
Ads,
check out old post in salt water reports by yours T, called Oh My God part 2 i think, did some pics and stuff with a great snapper we got this year. One of you I.T. men can do the link thing please.
cheers,
Chong

Herm
03-08-2006, 10:23 PM
I am not the best at it but my father is a bit of a whiz (filleting), even makes it look easy ;D I have butchered my far share of good fish :(

He fillets and then skins mainly bream & whiting, main secret he said is using a very VERY sharp filleting knife that is very flexible ;)

Then the second thing is practice, practice and more practice :)

I sometimes have a go at him because he hardly leaves enough flesh on the frames to put in the crab pots ;D ;D ;D

Janine.

2DKnBJ
03-08-2006, 10:55 PM
I am no Guru at filleting but put in a bit of practice and you will get better at it.When i was growing up in Townsville i would practice on the catfish.Didn't matter how they turned out the crabs still loved them.

This may throw a spanner in the works but if you have not got a good sharp knife try the old electric knife.Don't knock it till you try it guys and don't tell the missus what you are using it for.

Cheers Dazza

MyEscape
04-08-2006, 05:06 AM
There's a DVD put out by "Terrys" that's not too bad. He does a whiting fillet on the DVD and skins it as well. After watching it I tried my hand at skinning the fillet and it works real easy.

But, of course I need to catch more fish to butcher (sorry practice on!)

But then, I need to go fishing more often catch more fish.

But again of course, do other fishos think bigger fish are easier to clean or smaller ones. i.e. Reef fish against bream or whiting?

Steve

finding_time
04-08-2006, 10:17 AM
I like to think i'm ok at filleting but there is a member on this site ( The Bomber) he's best fish cleaner i've ever seen!!!!!!! :o

He can knock up a snapper either scaled ,gilled and gutted or filleted before you can blink and i doesn't matter how much i watch him i cant workout how he does it so fast!!!

Maybe it's the sharpness of his knives or just technique but it bl@@DY impressive, Maybe we could get him to run a coure at the next M/G ;)

Ian

mickstar001
04-08-2006, 10:38 AM
Chong explained it pretty well

http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1146979667/0

Fishin_Dan
04-08-2006, 10:42 AM
I think there already is a DVD about it.... I'm pretty sure I've seen it at BCF @ Springwood...

ShaneJ
04-08-2006, 12:04 PM
There is a filleting dvd available however I think it would be good to have an online resource of videos available to download.

Ads, I have a digital video camera I can operate if you (or anyone else) are willing to show your stuff in front of?

the_bomber
04-08-2006, 12:24 PM
I like to think i'm ok at filleting but there is a member on this site ( The Bomber) he's best fish cleaner i've ever seen!!!!!!! :o

He can knock up a snapper either scaled ,gilled and gutted or filleted before you can blink and i doesn't matter how much i watch him i cant workout how he does it so fast!!!

Maybe it's the sharpness of his knives or just technique but it bl@@DY impressive, Maybe we could get him to run a coure at the next M/G ;)

Ian

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D one day maybe :-[
The trick is trying to get someone else to do it................"I''ll clean the boat while you knock them up"
I would be pleased to find another method to clean them with out touching the stinky b@%tards.

fishingnottake
06-08-2006, 08:28 AM
that's a fantastic demonstration chong, you've revolutionised my filleting technique #:o always thought the hatchet was over kill...

agnes_jack
06-08-2006, 08:33 AM
The best fish cleaner is anyone who will do mine for me!!!

he,he,he ;D

Regards, Tony ;)

sams_fish
06-08-2006, 10:55 AM
chong,
speaking as an ex pro fish filleter, the technique is pretty much spot on, only thing i could add is that i like to leave the fillet attached at the tail, it makes it easier to hang on to when skinning fillets ;). very VERY VERY SHARP knives are a must, both for speed and % fillet recovery. don't skimp on filleting knives, buy a really good quality one or two or five, fiskars make excelent filleting knives if ya can find 'em. kershaw and gerber aren't too bad either. they are not cheap, the last fiskars i bought was $178 for 200mm blade size, but it is an excellent knife. don't use your filleting knife for anything else ever, you will regret it, i know i have :'(. get a decent stone, fine or very fine wet stone and a good steel and practice ;D. a stainless mesh glove does wonders for you hand as protection and gripping the filletalso never useyour knife hand to move the fish or fillets, makes your hand slippery and harder to use a knife, plus if ya need to scratch ya nose or suck on a beer ya still have one clean dry hand ;).
my two bobs worth
graeme

finding_time
06-08-2006, 02:56 PM
Sams_fish

Where do you buy your knives??

Ian

Lucky_Phill
06-08-2006, 05:49 PM
Me.

craigathome
06-08-2006, 06:01 PM
thank god for bag limits I say.
your 5 ,your useless mates 5, and your lazy beer swilling mates 5, it's all to much filleting for me.