PDA

View Full Version : fish and chip shops

Seahorse
30-07-2006, 06:55 PM
it amazes me how fish shops still sell that imported sh.; bassa. There has been a lot of talk recently about the condition these fish live in especially on nuggets show on the weekend. Why do fish shops still sell it. I was down at broardwater yest at a very big local fresh fish shop on the water and was amazed at they sell this sh.. and couldnt but any tailor, bream, only local fish was whiting at some rediculous price.
Then today was out at spit and called into big fish shop just past sea world, and thought would buy some fish and chips. Looked at menue and said $6 fish of day with chips. Then that sign that said fish of day was bassa. I will not set foot into those 2 shops again. Why do they have to have this imported shit.
the sign that said what the fish of the day was, was very small. Why wouldnt they just sell local stuff.
If they dont sell local then they shouldnt be supported by locals.
Well thats my bitch for the weekend.

gavsgonefishing
30-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Yep its got me stuffed, if I owned a fish n chip shpo I would want to sell a decent product to get the repeat business. Then again it does come down to profit loss, and most of their customers would be one off tourist etc.

Maybe (and unfortunately) the local product/ rent / labour costs outweigh the 6.00 GOOD fish and chip meal.

It shits me that I see swordfish for sale (which is bad enough IMO), knowing quite well it could be anything from sailfish to black or blue marlin, but the chances of being caught, then proven, costs too much.

Apparently you get that

Far_Canal
30-07-2006, 07:27 PM
the fish of the day shop you went into mate i know the one, wont mention the name, but thats been the fish of the 'day' for about 2 yrs.

rediculous.

Seahorse
30-07-2006, 07:49 PM
it just makes u so mad. All i wanted yest was some nice bream or tailor fillets. One cannot say that these are not available, as there are the odd 1 or 2 out there. Another sign said mixed reef fish. They even had imported squid. What happens to all our seafood.
Iam not up on what happens with catches by the trawlers.

a_big_red_1
30-07-2006, 08:00 PM
i could be wrong on this .............but the locals get more $$$$$ if they send there catch O/S, the local fishermen aint getting paid enough to keep it here

but i know how you feel, i have walked out of F/S shops because of this
Daz

Great_White
30-07-2006, 08:01 PM
I agree with you seahorse, nothing beats local fresh fish. I am very fussy when it comes to buying from fish & chip shops if they don't have snappa or pearl pearch, I just walk away.

Peter. ;)

warrior
30-07-2006, 09:26 PM
name all of the shops so all of us dont get ripped off.they are ready to rip us off so word of mouth gets round real fast.

Bundy_Burp
30-07-2006, 09:32 PM
Its beats me why anyone would want to by fish from overseas when we are surrounded by such good quality eating wish .
I know that the fish from overseas is very cheap but they would have to pay me just to sniff it much less eat it .

Bundy 8-)

CHRIS_aka_GWH
31-07-2006, 06:53 AM
here's a tip

if Ian at the "Fin & Fries" on North Stradbroke island says buy the fish of the day then do that. You can be sure it is fresh, local stuff.

he'll normally have a list of two or three depending on the season - at the moment it'll be diver whiting / snapper / bream. Its bloody terrific stuff.

Seahorse
31-07-2006, 07:14 AM
warrior , would love to name them but dont want to get into strife, but the 2 i visited on weekend were the one next to the grand boat ramp and the 1 just up past seaworld on way out to the spit.
The 2 i wont go to again. It makes you want to go out , catch shit loads and sell yourself. Oh well guess they will never change. Prob the dollar chasing

jim_farrell
31-07-2006, 07:43 AM
We can whinge and scream all we like but two of the biggest seafood sellers at woolies and coles is bassa and imported prawns.
Most aussies will buy the cheapest prawn or fish. Local pro's can't compete with these prices and retailers offer them nothing for their product.
Fish and chip shops selling these products are doing it for profit margins.
I do not condone the sale of either of these products, but blame the government for allowing them to be imported.
All we can do is buy the local product if it is available. If a F n C shop doesn't sell local, I tell them my opinion and go elsewhere.

Seahorse, I think there was a "best of" seafood and F n C thread a few months ago. Worth looking up.
Jim

aussiefool
31-07-2006, 08:56 AM
that's one of the reasons I only eat the fish I catch myself... that way I know what I'm eating

Dirtysanchez
31-07-2006, 09:14 AM
Good thread Seahorse and we are all fed up with being fed imported crap

Flick, you are dead right mate, but what do we do about it ?

Only way we will change this situation is to either not buy ANY imported rubbish, or make it an election issue.. If the pollies think there are votes in it they will jump on the bandwagon.

Maybe the federal Government could put huge import tarrifs on the imported crap so its just not worth importing ? Forget the emotional Buy Aussie push, it's been done and as has been said, households have budgets and when something is cheap it usually sells over the more expensive stuff, despite the quality

SO, you say, how do we stop this, well if the government imposes high import tarrifs on imported seafood it won't be cheaper than the local stuff

flatstrap
31-07-2006, 08:29 PM
All you can really do is NOT buy the imported fish as the only form of protest. Majority of people will buy cheap and so long as it doesn't taste disgusting. The gov't can't impose tariffs on imported stuff because of the world getting together on free trade agreements. It works both ways; other gov'ts can't put tariffs on our exports such as beef, wheat, butter etc. That's the system today more or less.
But as a mid term solution, we can inform the majority of fish buyers to be more discerning in what they put down their necks. But if they don't care and only go for cheap...well, it's bassa for the majority.

In my case, if I can't get the fish I want, I do without...flatstrap

Floyd2006
31-07-2006, 09:46 PM
Ok, so now I know of at least 2 fish n chip shops not to visit (thank you), can you recommend any down the coast that sell fresh locally caught fish?

Floyd

Maria
31-07-2006, 10:01 PM
This is a problem that has been gradually getting worse over the last decade or so, and a topic that I've followed quite closely due to the degree at which it disgusts me. Quite simply the retailers of this nation aren't prepared to support our primary producers, either morally or financially when there's this kind of product available at the price it is. It can be bought at wholesale for as little as $2/kg, and sold for $6-8/fillet in the shop. This nation currently exports over $2 billion worth of seafood each year, and imports over $1 billion worth (Australian Bureau of Statistics). It's a pretty grim outlook.

For those who don't know, Basa (as it is now "officially" known) is Pangasius bocourti, or commonly known as Vietnamese Catfish (see pic below). It's also known as Freshwater Fillets, Pacific Roughie, Mixed Reef Fillets etc etc. The fish is farmed in vast quantities in the Mekong Delta in cages suspended under floating houseboats or pontoons and mass processed on land ready for export to most of the continents of the world. Vietnam's gross production of Pangasius bocourti is over 500,000 tonnes - more than Australia's total annual seafood production.

On the health side of things, there's is now growing concern about a chemical called malachite green - a dye that is commonly used as a fungacide. In most developed countries the use of the chemical in seafood production is illegal due to the residual chemical it leaves behind called leuchomalachite, which is believed to be associated with cancer. At this point in time the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service don't specifically test for malachite green because there hasn't been an acceptable/safe level agreed upon, yet independent studies have found the chemical in numerous imported products. Furthermore the fertile soils of the Mekong Delta region also encourage agricultural industries which allow agricultural chemicals and other pollutants to run off into the system.

Practially any fish and chip shop now will sell Basa or Pacific Dory, despite the fact that it's not even remotely related to the Dory family of fishes and it has never seen the Pacific Ocean. In one particular fish and chip outlet at Noosa I went to recently there were three varieties of pre-crumbed fish fillets in the window. The first was labelled Pacific Dory, the second was labelled Basa, the third was labelled Mixed Reef Fillets. First I asked the bird the difference between each "type" available. Her response was that one was lighter and sweeter than the other, and the other had a more fishy taste etc etc. After then asking if she could identify each species for me by name, the woman simply said all three were Pacific Dory, presumably because she had no answer for the question. I shook my head and walked out of her store.

Perhaps the most disgusting fact though is to see the major (and I mean major) retailers of fresh seafood moving into this market too. Many people will be familiar with a large retail outlet at Capalaba which used to pride themselves on fresh, local Australian product. They now sell over 50% imported product, also under false names. On any given day they will display 6-8 varieties of prawns yet usually 1-2 are Australian prawns.

These days I won't eat fish and chips anymore. Gone are the days of enjoying a good feed fish and chips and a beer after a day at the coast etc. Fish like Mackeral, Tailor, Whiting etc. Despite what you may think you're buying, even species we're used to here may not be local. Barramundi is often substituted for Nile Perch, Pearl Perch is often imported from Thailand or Vietnam. Not to mention the potential health risks associated with importer products, it goes against every moral to buy this garbage when we live in one of the most productive seafood regions of the world. As recreational fishers we might not always see eye to eye with the commercial operaters, but I'd happily pay any reasonable price for fresh produce and (perhaps more so) to know the money is going into the pockets of Australian producers. Food for thought it is.

Cheers

Benno

S_Bend
31-07-2006, 10:08 PM
It really is a shame, but these days, we just look around for the best chip stores. Given up on buying any good quality fish from a fish 'n chips shop.

Seahorse, I agree with you but it does make you wonder - there is probably a good chance we could be in trouble defaming these stores but what trouble do they ever get in by selling garbage as prime fish fillets?

One funny thing though. The wife won't eat any fish other than the fish I catch but isn't too keen on me being away fishing. Now if anyone can help me out with that one, I know I'd be happy... ;)

Fishing_Widow
01-08-2006, 12:30 PM
I don't think that you will find too many fish and chip shops who sell local fish. The majority of it goes overseas because the pros get a better price.

And besides I thought you guys were supposed to be fishos - why are you looking for fish and chip shops???? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Don't forget if you see a fish and chip shop not adhering to the new rules report them - they need to advertise what it is and where it came from. No more pacific dory and no more mixed reef fish.

Regards,

Nomes

S.S.
01-08-2006, 12:38 PM
I'm with Nomes. Why are you guys even setting foot into F&C shops? I've got fresh squid and flattie fillets for dinner tonight. At least I know what I'm eating! ::)

Dirtysanchez
01-08-2006, 01:51 PM
Well I spend most of my spare time either working or being a dad to my 5 year old.. If I could do more fishinig, believe me I would !!

Half your luck, Squid and Flathead, oh luxury !

PS, no more fish and chips for me, I just get some chips and some cooked prawns and hope for the best

freddyfish
01-08-2006, 03:10 PM
Was talking to a salesperson at PicknPay Aspley who said around xmas time they are flat out keeping up the pace selling Vannemai prawns. Tons of them . Because they are cheap . Most people are so stretched and /or tight they will buy anything as long as it's cheap. They don't give a stuff about the taste as long as they look red.

Brad.

snakecatcher
01-08-2006, 03:23 PM
I won't touch any of the imported stuff - dory, basa, tropical white prawns, vanamei prawns and so on. Fortunately our local fish and chip shop will only sell Australian fish sourced from the trawlers that dock at Mooloolaba.

We the consumer are pushing the demand for this stuff - cheap and plentiful and who cares where it comes from or that it tastes like crap.

Seahorse
01-08-2006, 06:38 PM
i am at browns plains and wish i had a nice fish and chip shop that didnt sell bassa pacific dory or cod from whoever knows where.
iam only looking at fish shops cause sold my boat and waiting for new 1 to arrive. another few weeks yet so hanging out. :P
i know people just like cheap, but do they know what their getting?
asian shit. may as well eat fishcakes, at least the bread crumbs might be local

manchild
01-08-2006, 08:09 PM
Have anyone tried the shop off oxley road? The one with the big prawn on the front.Seahorse,its about 10 minutes from us ,I used to buy me fresh mullet for bait there few years back ,back then they were allright.
i dunno if they still ok though.
cheers
George

Seahorse
01-08-2006, 08:34 PM
is that the place at the servo. i do remember one there. u at browns as well george.

Dezzer
01-08-2006, 08:52 PM
Lets see, catch and release then go to the shop and buy a deep fried slab of thawed something that was grown in slop!

or

kill and grill your own catch, fresh and cooked to your liking.

I honestly can't remember the last time I bought fish n chips but the local fish n chippery does make a mean burger.

Green
01-08-2006, 09:23 PM
Spot on Benno..................
Yeh, people buy stuff based on price and savings made, but do they buy that way even after they've been informed of possible health risks associated with certain products. Probably not, so i guess it doesn't make good sense to give people that much info, might affect some personal profit margins?

Jitlands
02-08-2006, 10:30 AM
So Seahorse you are a supporter of estuary and beach netting by Pro fishers so you can get some at your local greasy Joes.

Have a steak and stop supporting inshore indescriminant netting.

S.S.
02-08-2006, 01:08 PM
Have a steak and stop supporting inshore indescriminant netting. #

Here here ...... #beef, lamb, pig, chicken, skippy..... #YUM # #;)

marlinqld
02-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Havent seen anything resembling FRESH at a fish and chippery for yonks.

Closest I have come across is the Red Dolphin at Suttons Beach. Nice feed but still catch kill and grill youre own is the only way.

Mike

johnlikes2fish
02-08-2006, 01:56 PM
My mine problem is the same as the last post fish and chip shops fish is so old it has gone white (oxidised) and looks nasty. Fresh fish is translucent and doesnt smell like that stuff. I bought a deep fryer and do it at home tastes better and if I want my chips crispy they are crispy and my fish isnt overcooked.

bigmack
02-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Guys & Girls - what you really should be asking is this;

Where does all the mullet, bream, and tailor that is netted off our beaches go....................because I, like you, rarely see it in the fish shop............so its being ripped out of the system and ending up ???????????? as fishmeal, dogfood, cat food, chicken food

I dont know - but i reckon that should also be investigated. I think the whole world (and we in it are being manipulated on everything) The older i get the more cynical I get - its a bit like the original Joseph Heller book Catch 22 - everyone was selling everyone else imported strawberries and everyone was making a profit! Bananas in NZ 99cts a Kilo, Oil out of Bass Strait - $13.00 a barrel apparently - yet we are pegged to international at $70. Auto gas suddenly increasing in price when no shortage or international maniplation - but government want their cut..............its all crazy.

That said - if you want a decent feed of fish and chips (from a shop) come to Mooloolaba and go to the end of the spit and choose from kingfish, mahi mahi, snapper, sweety and you will get what youve ordered. Ive never been dissapointed yet. Thats when we are not eating snapper, mack, or sweety at home and we just have to have fish 7 chips.

Cheers
Phill

Seahorse
02-08-2006, 05:48 PM
hey jitlands,
nowhere did i say i supported netting the beaches. if ur going to open ur mouth get it straight. i was only questioning supply local fresh fish.
if i want a steak i will eat a steak. if i want fish i want fresh local fish.
so if u want to comment get it right

manchild
02-08-2006, 05:55 PM
Yeahh Seahorse thats the one behind a servo on the corner .Im in regents park by the way ,we should organise a get together as soon as the weather gets better .
George

Seahorse
02-08-2006, 06:08 PM
hey george, sounds like a good idea. What boat u got? Iam boatless at the moment. Just waiting for delivery. Iam up behind pub

cheers
greg

manchild
02-08-2006, 06:17 PM
Havent got a boat mate ,im a dedicated surf and rock fisherman ;)Used to have one but since a diving accident which raptured my eardrums ,my balance not so good for days after being on the water.Being a roofer ,thats not a real good thing :( Most weekends you find me on bribie surfbeach ,you most welcome to join in.With the weather i meant that is warm enough to sit beside a pool with a few frosty ones ;D
Cheers
George

Cheech
02-08-2006, 07:07 PM
Being a bit selfish, I am happy that there is all the imported fish. If there wasn't, I can only assume there would be more pressure on our local fishery to keep up with demand.

It would be hypercritical to complain about the commercial guys raping our local fisheries, and then say there should be more local produce. The export market will not slow down if there is a local market (for the price and all other things being equal), so that means more fish required by comercial fishermen to keep up.

Apart from people like us that know the difference, I really do not think that average Joe public has an issue as they probably do not know and are happy with the bassa or whatever they get at the local f&c shop.

Just my view.

Cheech

Az
03-08-2006, 10:20 AM
there obviously needs to be a lot more spent in aquaculture, they seem to have great prawn and salmon farms up north and down south growing in their natural environment and much more humane and cleaner than the basa farms they have overseas

BillR
04-08-2006, 01:34 PM
Being a bit selfish, I am happy that there is all the imported fish. If there wasn't, I can only assume there would be more pressure on our local fishery to keep up with demand.

It would be hypercritical to complain about the commercial guys raping our local fisheries, and then say there should be more local produce. The export market will not slow down if there is a local market (for the price and all other things being equal), so that means more fish required by comercial fishermen to keep up.

Apart from people like us that know the difference, I really do not think that average Joe public has an issue as they probably do not know and are happy with the bassa or whatever they get at the local f&c shop.

Just my view.

Cheech

BillR
04-08-2006, 01:37 PM

Just my view.

Cheech

Sorry about the last post. I just wanted to tell Cheech it was a great post.
I am at Regents Park. Must be a few of us down this way.

Bill

Seahorse
04-08-2006, 04:20 PM
we r in numbers bill

hussy
04-08-2006, 09:03 PM
if you want decent ,fish and chips , go to greese, cause they are all owned by australians. bit of a turnaround. hubby

shaman
05-08-2006, 04:26 PM
"Fish In The Park" at Paradise Point gets my vote.
Their Cod is great (not friggn vietcong cattie) and you can get a $24 family pack which consists of:
4 pieces of cod (good size)
4 dim sims
4 potato scallops
calamari rings
about $5 worth of chips

All good quality (although I'm not a scallop or dim sim fan but my kids love 'em)...........................Billy

P.S. Best eaten whilst sitting on a blanket at the park thenwashed down by a cold Corona ..............................How good is that!!!!!

Seahorse
05-08-2006, 04:53 PM
ia with u shaman

Smailesy
06-08-2006, 08:12 PM
catch your own fish and eat your own fish