PDA

View Full Version : Stomach contents

onerabbit
31-07-2006, 11:42 PM
Ok, just wanted to start something different.

What is the weirdest thing you have ever found in a fishes stomach????

We fished yesterday, I always tell my boys to look in the guts to see what the fish have been eating, but wasn't ready for this one.

Please bear in mind this came from the gut of a fish that came from 240mtrs deep.
We may have a new line on plastics.

It's a bit of the edge of a green bucket, who would have thought????????

Muzz

onerabbit
31-07-2006, 11:43 PM
other side

onerabbit
31-07-2006, 11:46 PM
He would have had a hard time getting it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Muzz

tunaman
01-08-2006, 01:08 AM
A lepracorn fish swallowed his hat. ;D
It must of looked good floating down.

signed tunaman

Streetkid
01-08-2006, 01:35 AM
Caught a 68cm flathead from wave break island and in its stomach was a cooked king prawn head and a chickens wish bone courtesy of all the yuppies who anchor up on the nothern end.

aussiefool
01-08-2006, 12:10 PM
I also chech the stomach of fish just to see what may work next time, and never found any thing to odd other than a legal sized bream in the gut of a Jew one time :o funny thing was he/she hit the lure like there was no tomorrow

Grunter71
01-08-2006, 12:57 PM
Had a knob of devon/polony/luncheon(whatever you want to call it) on the boat one day for lunch. Mate was cutting it up and threw me the end bit. Due to his bad throw it went sailing over the side.

Caught a few snapper that night, when we cleaned them later on, the plastic bit was in the gut of one of them.

True story.

This nest one is probably an urban myth though.

Two old blokes out chasing snapper.

One is feeling queasy, and when throwing up at one stage he loses his false teeth with his lunch over the side and spends the rest of the day moaning about his loss.

To make him feel better, his mate cleans a few of the fish, takes his own teeth out and says hey, look what was in this ones' stomach, and shows him the dentures.

The first bloke grabs them, puts them in his mouth to try them. Of course they don't fit so he throws them back over the side. The second bloke exclaims "what did you do that for". The first bloke replies "they weren't mine"!!!

Jewmaster
01-08-2006, 04:24 PM
I caught a nice threadfin salmon at saltwater arm and when I went to clean it was spiked by a catfish........ the salmon had eaten the catfish from the wrong direction so the spines had gone out through the sides of the salmon and looked like the salmon had catfish spikes. When I opended the salmon up there was a perfect skelton of the catfish inside.

The salmon didn;t seem to be bothered by it at all, it fought hard and was a solid fish(no weight loss) no obvious infections. I would of thought it would die having catfish spikes coming from it guts through the flesh to the outside ????

bidkev
01-08-2006, 05:26 PM
Back in the UK I caught a skate with a plastic spoon in it's stomach and a 30lb cod that had swallowed a plastic cup.

There was an article in a UK fishing mag that mentioned a trench in the English Channel which is the busiest shipping lane in the world. Apparently the current flowed over this trench and all kinds of rubbish which had been thrown from the ferries and other shipping, dropped into it as there was no flow down in the trench. At one spot in the trench they calculated that there must have been over 20,000 of those plastic disposable cups and charter skippers report that it is not unusual to catch conger eels and cod with these lodged in their stomachs.

kev

onerabbit
01-08-2006, 06:38 PM
Make you wonder why we spend all this money on expensive lures when a bit of broken bucket or a plastic cup will do the job?????

Muzz

Great_White
01-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Hi Muzz, what sort of fish was it ?

240 mtrs deep holy crap, I thought only russian subs only went that deep ;D ;D ;D ;D

Peter ;)

Tony_N
02-08-2006, 05:52 AM
Can't be sure this is true - but my mate assures me that there was a murray cod caught near a golf course (Corowa?) with 3 or 4 golf balls in its stomach. They reckon it must have thought they were eggs

tshort
02-08-2006, 08:13 AM
Bloke I know caught a flathead about 40 cm. brining it top the boat an XOS flatty swallowed it and didntlet go. Landed both fish.

hussy
02-08-2006, 09:04 AM
i caught a 30lb cod that had a hurricane lamp inside it, but that wasnt the weird bit , the lamp was still burning. dont beleive me?, you make the golf balls down to one ,and i,ll blow out the lamp. hehehe.

hubby

onerabbit
02-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Great white,

Fish was a Bar cod, report in Saltwater Offshore.

Muzz

tshort
02-08-2006, 01:27 PM
I've had some experience extracting fish from between 3 to 4,000 foot. Nothing in their stomachs at all being pulled from these depths. Not even remnants of the bait that caught them.

R_K_HILL
02-08-2006, 01:44 PM
I caught a big bream last week that had 3 Chinese fisherman in its belly, still hold their fishing rods !!

bungie
02-08-2006, 04:37 PM
LOL Hubby

SURF_SNIPER
02-08-2006, 09:07 PM
caught a bream with a 5 cent peice in its belly, i reckon someone must have tossed it over the side of a bridge or somthing and the bream has smashed it as it fluttered to the bottom.

hussy
03-08-2006, 11:41 AM
could have been a silver bream. dont know about the chinamen, sounds like a crock to me .they usually use handlines.
hubby

tunaman
03-08-2006, 06:56 PM
Beleve it or not, A tailor fishing trip turn to desperation, no bait, no lures
they were all eaten, but all I had was the red shirt I had on, and a box of 2/0 bream hooks and a dozen barral sinkers. So we started to rip
strips off the red T shirt and threaded it onto the single hook, and
the tailor were slamming it.
Later when gutting the fish, most of them had pieces of T shirt in them.

signed tunaman

onerabbit
03-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Elprez,

How the hell do you pull a fish up 3-4ooo feet????

Surely only by mechanical means, matey, if you can wind up that far then you take the prize.

Muzz

tshort
04-08-2006, 06:40 AM
Yep, not the word extracting. mechanism same as pot pullers etc. pretty steady only jerking by roll of the boat.

moondancer
04-08-2006, 09:36 PM
Some great stories here guys! Can't top them - the only thing I've found in a fish is whole chicken bone in a snapper I caught a few weeks back - reckon it must have hurt going down!

Gorilla_in_Manila
05-08-2006, 12:46 PM
the only thing I've found in a fish is #whole chicken bone in a snapper I caught a few weeks back - reckon it must have hurt going down!

Not as much as it would have hurt coming out!
;) ;D

budge
05-08-2006, 03:24 PM
A mate gutted a hammer head he caught over at moreton island and found a nsw number plate in its stomach.

shaman
05-08-2006, 06:11 PM
I saw half a egg&bacon burger get disgorged on the deck while at Deep Tempest one morning but I think it actually came out of my deckie ;D
.......................Billy

choppa
05-08-2006, 07:27 PM
late father in law bagged a 2.3kg bream out of the sussex inlet river (nsw) that had a 4/0 hook in its gut,,won the heaviest fish,,, and he framed the hook and gave it away at the next comp as 1st prize..

this can be verified,,, any one who fished jervis bay and has heard of SPUD/CHOPPA,, in the 90's knows

robdiep
05-08-2006, 10:08 PM
i caught a 38cm estuary cod late last year while i was fishing for jacks. it was one fat greedy fish. when i gutted it, i was surprised that there was 20cm bream in its stomach. i was so shocked how such a small fish can gulp down a fish half its size. i know cods have big mouths but that really made me think that if fish are hungry they will smash anything even if their stomach is bigger than their eyes!

btw.. good stories from everyone else!

ManyRivers
05-08-2006, 10:45 PM
Found this calcified hook in the belly of a moses perch. It was in the gut cavity between the intestines and the outer wall of the cavity. I figure it must have been a break off from earlier in the fishes life and the coating is a mechanism the fish had to protect it from the sharpness of the hook.
http://manyrivers.aunz.com/images/moseshook.jpg

matthill80
06-08-2006, 08:57 PM
pitty it protected the wrong end of the hook lmao

onerabbit
06-08-2006, 10:13 PM
Yeah, & they reckon they rust out in a few days.

Looks like a big gun stainless hook..

Muzz

ManyRivers
06-08-2006, 11:09 PM
pitty it protected the wrong end of the hook lmao
It looked as though the coating had been right along the hook, but had fratured away from the pointy end. Where the coating stops, the end is jagged and cracked like as if it is broken, whereas the whole rest of it is smooth.