PDA

View Full Version : All time favourite thread

Dezzer
01-08-2006, 08:21 PM
During the time that I've been an Ausfish member there have been some classic threads. Who could forget the infamous Wobbygong spearing incident or the drama that unfolded when an unscrupulous young fella ripped a heap of members off, got caught and went to court.

So, whats your alltime favourite thread. If possible, do a search and put the link up for others to share. Here's one that comes to mind, sucker fish will never be the same again!!

http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1093921461/0

Cheers, Derek

blaze
01-08-2006, 09:18 PM
your right in saying that there has been some classic threads and stories over time. Being a bit of boat rebuilding buff my number one would have to be the dedication that bev put into the "white ants thread".
The next one that springs to mind for a learning tool is the one on sounders at the top of the electronic section.
Joke of the day is also a winner
All of these threads consist of numerous pages with a bit of friendly banter thrown in with no personel bitches
Thats my lot
cheers
blaze

fishin_till_late
01-08-2006, 09:25 PM
I have to agree with Blaze the "white ants in the playpen" thread was a memorable one, joke of the day also.
But I'd like to add the "What type of boat have you got?" thread as a memorable one. 30 somethings pages of loved boats. It's something i can drule over on the internet without getting into trouble ;D

cheers jono

fishin_till_late
01-08-2006, 09:26 PM
Opps forgot the link, here it is :D

http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1081262581/0

slugo
02-08-2006, 01:22 AM
There have been excellent threads on this site that I have read and just one of my favorites was Mad Turk (nightmare on my new boat)

http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1139370510/0

cheers
Len

Got_the_Fever
02-08-2006, 07:11 AM
One of my favorite was "How safe is fishing solo" A lot of well thought out responses and a lot of good safety points.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1153122566/0

Kel

lippa
02-08-2006, 08:15 AM
i'm just missing kev's quotes of wisdom!

cheers

lippa

Big_unit
02-08-2006, 08:58 AM
When I first came here I started a thread just simply asking a question,

Drum lining for Sharks ?

I asked basically how do you do it & where do you do it ?

I cant find it now but man I nearly had my head bit off by a whole pile of members. Its certainly something I will never forget.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers
James

major-defect
02-08-2006, 09:28 AM
What ever happened to Max his threads were always good for a laugh.Gee he copped it didn't he.

Big_unit
02-08-2006, 09:36 AM
Yeah I remember Max, he got banned didnt he back in the day.

What exactly did he do ? pretty sure he just attacked everyone that commented on his BS ridden threads.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Does anyone remember that Yankee bloke " Flymo " ? he started taking the p!ss outta everyone here and Australia in general. I remember his avatar picture was of himself and after he picked a few fights he had photo shopped his face out of the picture. What was he scared of, geez not one Ausfisher would have or wanted to hurt him, MUCH.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Good ole Ausfish

Cheers
James

Hoges
02-08-2006, 10:26 AM

cheers

lippa

Hi, I have been a bit out of touch with happenings of late.
What has happened to Kev?

LOL I just noticed the SpelChek. About time IMHO

Back on topic. Another vote for, "white ants in the playpen" I also love browsing the For Sale area for things I would like to be able to afford and the other oddities offered at times.

Cheers

Pete

"How do you know when a man is well hung? You can't get your fingers between his neck and the rope"

Motorman
02-08-2006, 02:50 PM
Ill have to vote for White ants as well
I have reread that post quite a few times

Big_unit I believe this is the post your thinking of

http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1109955478/0

bidkev
02-08-2006, 03:17 PM

cheers

lippa

Anything to oblige ;D

kev

Advice is least heeded when most needed.
English Proverb

bidkev
02-08-2006, 03:21 PM

cheers

lippa
[color=#000000]

Hi, I have been a bit out of touch with happenings of late.
What has happened to Kev?

I've crossed to the dark side mate. Started eating things other than vermin and spending a bomb on those plasticky thingies ;D

Nice to see you back Pete....wondered where you got to?

kev

All things good to know, are difficult to learn

Greek proverb

Volcano
02-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Mine would definitely be "White ants in the playpen". Two thumbs up for sure.

Louis
02-08-2006, 03:58 PM
G'day Derek,

My memory fails me. I can't remember either of the two posts you refer to.

I wonder where, 'Thumps', has gotten too these days. I miss reading some of his posts.

Louis

Big_unit
02-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Ill have to vote for White ants as well
I have reread that post quite a few times

Big_unit I believe this is the post your thinking of

http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1109955478/0

Thats the one. THANK YOU.

I got attacked and mauled big time over that one.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I survived, I like to think of it as my Ausfish induction.

Cheers
James

bidkev
02-08-2006, 04:20 PM
White Ants in The Playpen..........has to be a classic.............mainly becuase I got to eat good tucker and get pissed more often ;D

The by-catch reduction thread also gets a vote because by being involved, I learned a great deal about the Fishery and also about the dedication of the Fisheries staff, that I otherwise wouldn't have known.

kev

An army of sheep led by a lion would defeat an army of lions led by a sheep.
Arab Proverb

shayned
02-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Big Unit, I think i just worked out why you are platinum. That was a long thread but funny, note to self dont mention drum lines. One other question is it illegal to sleep with fish? :o

bidkev
02-08-2006, 05:03 PM
Just remembered another thread that had me in fits but can't find it now. The guy was a deckie on a rig chasing marlin and he was grousing about being dealt a bum hand by the skipper.

kev

Motorman
02-08-2006, 05:05 PM
I must admit i hadnt read that thread from Big_unit but im glad i did now
It is always interesting to see a forum arguement

Brad

onerabbit
02-08-2006, 05:10 PM
So many great threads, "white ants in the play pen" was really good, ( trying not to bring up "Hand held gps" #;D ;D ;D) but I think the trials of "the Mad Turk" are hard to beat .

# # Muzz

Yeah Kev , the one with the guy who caught 2 marlin on his first day out was good too, what a knob. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

M

Camo
02-08-2006, 05:18 PM
Fellas,
Like I originally stated I am just curious with all the recent talk of Sharks and actually heard a guy on talkback radio mention Drum lining but his information didnt sound right to me. So I asked you guys for more correct info. Just for the record, I aint dead, I am not swimming around in a canal with a hook and oh yeah, nobodies gonna kick me in tha nuts without the attempted kicker regaining conscieness with a broken jaw. Go easy men, I just asked a question or two, never did I say that I was heading out to do it. I love fishing and actively promote it.

Cheers
James.

Big unit, mate that was a nice restrained reply and got the point across nicely. If those replies had been directed at me I would have been pissed off as well, and you would have been within your rights to be a little more aggressive in your reply >:(. Good on ya mate.

Camo

PinHead
02-08-2006, 05:29 PM
anytime someone threatens physical violence always raises a chuckle from me...so easy to make threats from behind the computer.

flattymattyb
02-08-2006, 06:16 PM
Then there was the "boat of the year" thread the birth place of the now infamous "2ft chop" http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1105875636/0

Matty

dop
02-08-2006, 07:29 PM
My favourite threads would be the How to Launch and retrieve a boat correctly.I still go back to them when I need a bit of a laugh.Also the one a few years ago about this guy who wanted to go offshore fishing in a little inflatable boat.The responses to this thread was unreal
Peter

gunna
03-08-2006, 03:04 PM
Boat of the year & 2ft chop was a beauty.

The sounder thread was oustanding.

But I think the best one might just have started - Kingtin has discovered better eating fish than cattys !!!!

bidkev
03-08-2006, 05:35 PM
Boat of the year & 2ft chop was a beauty.

The sounder thread was oustanding.

But I think the best one might just have started - Kingtin has discovered better eating fish than cattys !!!!

No way gunna. That thread's dead.........it's a done deal that I've crossed to the dark side ;D

You're right about the sounder thread though. I'm bloody useless with instruction books and am more of a visual learner. That thread is outstanding with the visual aids.

kev

revs57
03-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Hey Kev,

Dunno about the best thread, I reckon any thread with your pearls of wisodm are rippers...credited or not

Really miss those gems of wisdom...how about continuing to include them

Cheers

Rhys

bidkev
03-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Hey Kev,

Dunno about the best thread, I reckon any thread with your pearls of wisodm are rippers...credited or not

Really miss those gems of wisdom...how about continuing to include them

Cheers

Rhys

OK mate. Nice to see you back. Are you still in Cairns?

kev

A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

tunaman
03-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Rev,s 57. words of wisdow. Beleve nothing that you here, and only half
of what you see. Thats the problem with just words on a computer
screen. You cant see the personality or the character,
and this is sad.

signed tunaman

lippa
04-08-2006, 12:35 AM
and this is sad.

signed tunaman

WTF? wisdow????????????? here???????????? i got a fair idea of the character then!!!!!!!

cheers

lippa

tunaman
04-08-2006, 01:12 AM
good! then you will know its all in good fun.
all the best.

signed tunaman

revs57
04-08-2006, 05:40 AM
G'day Kev,

Yeah Cairns was a blast...even got to go fishing up there this time which was the cream on the cake...good to be home again though...I see you've been getting into the soft plastics and getting a couple...

Have to catch up for a cuppa and fill in the gaps

Cheers

Rhys

ps. thanks for including the gems again...that last one is particularly apt

troy
04-08-2006, 06:10 AM
Boat of the year and two foot chop.
If Mantaray and Max would have been around then the thread would probably still be going. ;D ;D ;D
Troy

bidkev
04-08-2006, 08:26 AM
and this is sad.

signed tunaman

Mate, the personality or character doesn't matter. All wisdom is based on experience/knowledge and handed down through the generations in words. The words are what matters, not who speaks them.........the speakers die, but the words live on.

kev

A word gets its meaning by the person who speaks it.

I disagree with this one...........it's how we interpret it, and in what way we use it that gives the word meaning.

bidkev
04-08-2006, 08:29 AM
G'day Kev,

Yeah Cairns was a blast...even got to go fishing up there this time which was the cream on the cake...good to be home again though...I see you've been getting into the soft plastics and getting a couple...

Have to catch up for a cuppa and fill in the gaps

Cheers

Rhys

ps. thanks for including the gems again...that last one is particularly apt

Yeah, only a couple. Some reckon I've just crossed over to the dark side but I reckon I've been there for a long time ;) ;D

I'd love to catch up again soon, mate.

kev

A religion that is small enough for us to understand would not be large enough for our needs.

DICER
04-08-2006, 08:35 AM
Is there a link to the "white ant in the play pen"?????

One of my favorites has to be the remora sucker thread as posted above.

But there are some threads that were very funny, but pumpkin scones, a sherrif and a big mamma got in the way of an excellent fishing poem.

fish2eat
04-08-2006, 09:13 AM
The Remora one for sheer humour with that squeamish touch, but on an educational level there were two threads last year about catching beach worms.......I actually became proficient at catching them from reading these threads......GO AUSFISH !!!!!!!

bidkev
04-08-2006, 10:23 AM
Is there a link to the "white ant in the play pen"?????

Top of the page in the boating section

kev

Whining is not only graceless, but can be dangerous. It can alert a brute that a victim is in the neighborhood.
-- Maya Angelou

Got_the_Fever
04-08-2006, 02:18 PM
I read drumlining for sharks this morning, that is one hell of a good read.

Kel

shaman
04-08-2006, 07:42 PM
I have attempted to read the Boat Of The Year thread PHEW what an epic..........................Billy
Did the mods chop some of it out ? I read references to 20+ pages.
I don't think I could cop too much more of it but I thought some real biff like Big Unit's Drumlining thread would have improved the overall experience............... ;D ;D ;D
I don't know how many of the original members from Troy's thread are still here but an interesting point needs to be made about these awards.

Car Of The Year 1982........................Holden JB Camira :o :o :o
Car Of The Year 1985........................Mitsubishi TM Magna :o :o :o

That one's for you Troy (if your still out there)...............Billy

wayne_cook
04-08-2006, 08:33 PM
So many great threads, "white ants in the play pen" was really good, ( trying not to bring up "Hand held gps" #;D ;D ;D) but I think the trials of "the Mad Turk" are hard to beat .

# # Muzz

Yeah Kev , the one with the guy who caught 2 marlin on his first day out was good too, what a knob. #;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

# # M
yea muzz the old gps thing got a bit confussing interesting how smart some guys are, they tend to have a bit of trouble getting that message across.

moondancer
04-08-2006, 08:57 PM
I loved many of the old threades - strong vote for the White Ants one, and also, the sounder thread from a learning point of view. I also love the many, many threads that end up getting someone 'affectionately bagged' and 'carpeted ' for their point of view!! Notghing better than the banter of multi-opinionated fishos!!

bidkev
04-08-2006, 10:23 PM
<snip>
I also love the many, many threads that end up getting someone 'affectionately bagged' and 'carpeted ' for their point of view!! Notghing better than the banter of multi-opinionated fishos!!

I was just thinking about that and how some cop for it and some don't. When I was pretty new here I posted a thread containing a press article of me with pics of a heap of fish I caught in one session in the UK way back when I was a bit younger (I know better now). Everyone was pretty complimentary to me (as I recall), but since then, others have come in for a real bagging for posting similar pics. I thought the thread was called "reminiscing" and I've tried to search for it but had no hits....that may not have been the title so I think it's lost to me now :-/ A pity 'cause I've subsequently misplaced the hard copy of the pics :'(

kev

If you don't know where you are going, every road will get you nowhere. (Henry Kissinger)

troy
05-08-2006, 06:01 AM
I have attempted to read the Boat Of The Year thread PHEW what an epic..........................Billy
Did the mods chop some of it out ? I read references to 20+ pages.
I don't think I could cop too much more of it but I thought some real biff like Big Unit's Drumlining thread would have improved the overall experience............... ;D ;D ;D
I don't know how many of the original members from Troy's thread are still here but an interesting point needs to be made about these awards.

Car Of The Year 1982........................Holden JB Camira #:o :o :o
Car Of The Year 1985........................Mitsubishi TM Magna #:o :o :o

That one's for you Troy (if your still out there)...............Billy
Shaman,
I am still around and i am not into cars so i not sure what you mean.
Troy

PinHead
05-08-2006, 06:31 AM
Troy, it means that awards mean nothing. Those 2 cars won the car of the year and they were absolute rubbish...could rate them with the Morris Marina and the P76.

troy
05-08-2006, 07:26 AM
Pinhead,
Thanks for that as i did not have a clue about it.
Seems like your an early bird like me and it is bloody cold up here this morning.
Troy

Dezzer
05-08-2006, 10:19 AM
Kev,
If I remember rightly I think the thread with your old newspaper clippings was at around the same time as the great crash of 95 and may have been sent to the big house for dead threads. That would be a shame if you have lost your copy.

shaman
05-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Troy, these vehicles would be two of the worst vehicles ever produced in recent years and they won the awards, although it can be said that they were also fairly innovative in design for that era and that could of had something to do with it.
A bloke came in to my caryard once and said he was looking for a Camira for his daughter, to which i responded "Why? What did she do to you"
me=;D ;D him= >:( >:(
I sold cars for over twenty years and shook my head many times over the car of the year awards so any ".....of the year" awards mean little to me and to most people directly associated to the relevant industries, unless you're selling that product but even if you're not the so called awards are pretty easy to sell around ..................................Billy

theoldlegend
05-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Aaah yes,

I recall it all now. I reckon IMO the thread about "white ants in the play pen" was a beauty, but the funniest one was about the remora sucker fish. That was a classic!!

Now Pinhead, how did you get into a discussion about the Morris Marina and the Leyland P38(it was called that because it was only half a car).

It's amazing how your views coincide with mine about most things. If we had a few drinks together, we'll bloody fix the problems about everything. Blow em up!! Drop Nukes on everybody. That'll fix everything. I have the solution Greg.

Webby wants to know when we're going on the GOM M & G. We can show these young bloods a thing or two.

TOL

PinHead
06-08-2006, 07:53 AM
TOL..still working on the GOM thing...was having a chat with webby on Friday night...will post something soon on that one.

bidkev
06-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Kev,
If I remember rightly I think the thread with your old newspaper clippings was at around the same time as the great crash of 95 and may have been sent to the big house for dead threads. That would be a shame if you have lost your copy.

95 Dezzer? You mean I've been here that long? Doesn't time fly when you're enjoying yourself? ;D

Yeah, looks like that little piece of my past is gone forever. I'd like to see it again though,

if only for the picture of my frostbiten nose to compare with the snapper on another thread ;D

kev

If you want children to keep their feet on the ground, put some responsibility on their shoulders. (Abigail Van Buren)

Dezzer
06-08-2006, 08:54 PM
Don't worry about what day is it? I don't know which decade it is!!

wanttofish
06-08-2006, 11:31 PM
i like'd the thread about things you forgot to do when going fishing ;D

el_carpo
07-08-2006, 03:33 AM
I remember seeing the newspaper clippings Kingtin, and I joined in April 2004. I think it was in saltwater chat but am not sure. Hope this helps narrow the search. I'll search too and post or PM you if I find anything.

As far as my favorite thread goes...... I can't decide. There are funny posts that come to mind and informative posts. Being from far away, I always enjoy picture threads a lot that let me see your beautiful country and its fishing spots, animals, people etc. It's a great site with some very intelligent and VERY funny members! When you guys get on a roll...................... ;D It's hard to find a better place for laughs.

This is a good thread too by the way. ;)

EC

el_carpo
07-08-2006, 04:27 AM
BINGO!!!!!!!!! I found it Kingtin!

http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1085796273

It was in saltwater photos. The thread was called "reminiscing." :)

bidkev
07-08-2006, 08:33 AM
BINGO!!!!!!!!! I found it Kingtin!

http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1085796273

It was in saltwater photos. The thread was called "reminiscing." :)

Thanks EC........the reason I couldn't find it?..........I'd spelt reminiscing wrong when searching ::).............shows how much dementia has set in since I first posted it ::) ;D

kev

In the morning be first up, and in the evening last to go to bed, for they that sleep catch no fish.
English Proverb

el_carpo
07-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Glad to be of help Kingtin.