PDA

View Full Version : Cooktown

whiteman
07-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Recently back from Cooktown. Thanks all who gave advice prior to the trip. We loved the place and even extended our visit to see more. Not a lot of fishing news apart from a bit of bait jigging (successful) at the wharf and a bit of livie floating (unsuccessful) at the same place.

Highlights for anyone venturing to that beautiful part of the world:

Accommodation: Seaview Motel - perfect spot. Great view. Good room size (we had family rooms).
Best Food: The Bowling Club (yes, the Bowling Club!). 2nd - 1770 restaurant at The Wharf where service was poor but the cook can. Didn't try Louies.
Best Coffee: the Sovereign Resort Hotel
Must Do's: Archer Pt, Elim Coloured Sands - 4WDs help at both places.

Although my fishing time was very limited, we took a Crocodile Tour which was fun and showed some really good creek fishing spots. In 2 hours we didn't see another boat. Also saw a 6m charter boat unloading a couple of guys with some nice reef fish. I didn't realise the reef is so close to the port. Next time we go up I'll book a reef fishing boat. It's too far to tow my boat so better economic sense to go with a guide.

All in all a fabulous spot for a family holiday.

fez
07-08-2006, 08:18 PM
Glad you enjoyed the trip, wonderful place so unspoilt yet now with the fully sealed road (inland) so close to Cairns. Still better off going the dirt up the coast.

Pitty you missed Louies it is miles ahead of the Bowls club for a feed, put it in the memory bank for the next trip.

As to the reef being close from the top of Grassy Hill you can actually see it to the south/East.

How windy was Archer Point???? could you stand up and did you get all the way upto the lighthouse?

Cheers,
Fez

major-defect
07-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Yeh she's a great spot up there we love it !

whiteman
08-08-2006, 01:28 PM
Glad you enjoyed the trip, wonderful place so unspoilt yet now with the fully sealed road (inland) so close to Cairns. #Still better off going the dirt up the coast.

Pitty you missed Louies it is miles ahead of the Bowls club for a feed, put it in the memory bank for the next trip.

As to the reef being close from the top of Grassy Hill you can actually see it to the south/East.

How windy was Archer Point???? could you stand up and did you get all the way upto the lighthouse?

Cheers,
Fez

Dirt up/sealed back. The dirt road is so much better value.
Archer Pt was blowing a gale. Went up to lighthouse and could hardly open the car doors. The beach below to the north is a quiet little spot which had a few fishos camped out. Wait until the developers get their hands on this stretch of coastline.

fez
08-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Rumour has it that there is a marina planned for the area (Archer Pt) it will be a pity as it is a wonderful spot. Mind you you could count on one hand the number of days it doesn't blow there. I was actually lucky enough to be there on one of those days pity it coincided with the neap tides however fished the rock wall (near the old jetty) saw everything from Spaniards (20m offshore) to clown fish and a white tip reef shark (30cm off the rocks - could have touched it)

Glad you enjoyed the trip. Can't wait to get up there again soon.

Fez