PDA

View Full Version : FULL MOON !!

R_K_HILL
07-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Hi All,

Noticed that there's a full moon this week. Not sure whether its Wednesday night or Thursday!

Do you think it's better to fish the full moons / King tides?

I seem to always do better on them..

Scott_Thunder
07-08-2006, 09:08 PM
There's 2 rules my pop always went by full moon and 1020 pressure. mostly worked but fuul moon is nearly always responsive Cheers Thunder

shaman
07-08-2006, 09:27 PM
I've always had better luck on the dark but I guess it depends on what your chasing and where you are fishing.
I know most reef fish spawn on the dark coinciding with a big tide as this protects their eggs. Also prawns run on the dark & I find bream are easier to nail then than on a full moon........... :-/
Do you fish inside or outside on the full????
..............Billy

R_K_HILL
07-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Inside? Meaning Estuary, Yes

What do you mean on the dark? New Moon?

R_K_HILL
08-08-2006, 08:05 AM
??

SirFishalot
08-08-2006, 05:22 PM
Yep, agreeed seem to have more success when the moons full, also beats fishing in the dark, much easier to see whats going on! #[smiley=guitarist.gif]

BennyJ
08-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Either side of the full moon seem to work for me in the estuary and i like no moon chasing big grunters and fingermark easier to get bait in the light when theres no moon .

Louis
09-08-2006, 04:40 PM
What I find interesting, is that I have discovered that certain people, need to be avoided during full moons.

I don't know why, but I do believe that it does affect some people.

Louis

finding_time
09-08-2006, 04:47 PM
If i didn't have a sick child at home i would be at mud right now!!!! It's one of the biggest tidal differances of the year!!!! ;) no run - no fun

Ian

shayned
09-08-2006, 05:42 PM
Got a date with some 30cm+ bream tonight on the Pine. Only allowing myself 2 hours and I'm dropping down to 4lb line around the rocks, it will be interesting to see how many make it to the camera. Full Moon in winter AAAAAAAAWWWOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fishin_Dan
09-08-2006, 06:42 PM
I find bream are really flighty on a full moon.

Bigger predators (like Tailor) are on the chew more though

shaman
09-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Hey R.K, sorry was off line lastnight but yeah the dark is a new moon.
..................Billy

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
09-08-2006, 07:32 PM
Lunar changes in the salt influence specific species behaviour. Not every fish is excited or stimulated by changes in lunar activity. Some thing we also need to address is how we fish. Some techniques we adopt will bring results on certain moon phases when they do not on other phases. A simple change of tact during the so called 'quiet phase' can bring the results that we want. Fish often travel long distances, and at times they aren't where we think they are. If you find them, then fish for them, regardless of the lunar phase, most fish species are still catchable. Tidal movement can be similar on new and full moon periods, and often, tidal range is a governing factor in fish activity. Higher night light intensities, as in moon shine can make some fish more skitish and shy, therefore harder to catch. It can also work in the reverse roll.
Interesting topic the lunar cycle, and I'm pretty sure certain plants/seeds get planted during critical lunar periods. Off track I know, yet I have heard that many times before.

A full or near full moon sits outside my window as we speak with about a 4 knot northerly, Gladstone, Queensland.
Johnny

jim_bream
09-08-2006, 07:39 PM
I heard from a good source that Qld police staff extra around full moon.

May all you lucky bar stewards have tight lines all night long- can't make it out tonight, was 'sposed to be heading to Bribie for my first night fish in Brisbane! >:(
Good luck to all and lets see some stonkers tomorrow!
jim

R_K_HILL
09-08-2006, 10:58 PM
Thanks for all your info fellas...

I thought a luna-tic is a luna-tic because the luna moon generaly brings on king tides. Our bodies are made up of 70% or so of water, so when the full moon comes about it has the same king tide effect on our bodies causing a crazy effect in some maybe because of the forces of water movement in their bodies... Anyways just a thought! [smiley=book2.gif]

SURF_SNIPER
10-08-2006, 06:54 AM
ive always prefered the fishing on a new moon, can fish a bit more stealth like! ;D

Jitlands
10-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Four nights before the full moon will give you top of tide at dark in winter. Thats when you want to be on the water regardless of the weather

R_K_HILL
10-08-2006, 05:05 PM
Anyways, fished near the pine river bridge last night and I dont think the moon did me any favors, didnt catch anything decent. Had a good time though!
And landed a monster stingray in a record time for me.. ;)

shayned
10-08-2006, 05:08 PM
My no fail pine spot failed for the first time last night as well. Thems the breaks I guess.

cifi13
10-08-2006, 05:33 PM
Full moon was Wednesday night... yes I agree that it can be good fishing on a full moon... I seem to do alright and always come home with a lovely catch... sometimes blonde sometimes brunette... still all good...

PinHead
10-08-2006, 07:15 PM
always prefer the full moon or very close to it and a run in tide in the early evening for bream at my favorite spots.