PDA

View Full Version : Tide Times

tincanpeter
09-08-2006, 10:14 AM
I'am a new resident at Tin Can Bay and after checking the tide times found the TV tide times and local monthly magazine , low tide predicted at 8.20am (Tin Can Bay) . To my suprise the tide at that time the tide was well on its way in. This morning I went down to the children playground area at 8 am , the tide looked as if it had been on the way out for at least 30 minutes . I went home and checked the tide time . High Tide 9 am at Tin Can Bay. This means that the advertised time are out by approx 90 minutes.

Noelm
09-08-2006, 12:58 PM
there may be some sort of correction for the area that you are compared to where the tide is forecast some plaves are from a few minutes to an hour or more behind

Graham_N_Roberts
09-08-2006, 08:17 PM
That wouldn't surprise me at all Peterbee. #;D ;D

I've seen the tide times in the weather section of the daily rag (in CQ), differ to the published times, in a table supplied by a fishing outlet, by nearly five hours. The table from the outlet was correct to within 10 minutes, at the Causeway run-through.

Funny how the next day the times agreed. This has happened on several occasions as well.

Just imagine trying to launch a boat by the rag times. Idiots. :P :-[

Lucky_Phill
09-08-2006, 08:47 PM
The best info you can get for tides is the :_

The Official
Tide Tables & Boating Safety Guide 2006

produced by Queensland Government, Marine Safety Queensland/

most newsagents and tackle shops will have it and this years cost $7.50.

Why is this the best one, well it offers tide predictions for Semidiurnal Tidal Planes ( Height above Lowest Astronomical Tide ). for individual places. OK, so the tide at Bundaberg ( Burnett Heads ) is measured at Latitude 24.46.000 and Longtitude 152.23.000, but at Tin Can Bay ( Snapper Creek precisely ) it is measured at 25.54.000 and 153.00.000 and therefore the high tide will be + 44 minutes from the standard port ( Bundaberg ) and the Low tide will be - 16 minutes from the standard port ( Bundaberg ).

But also be aware that wind and current, tide size etc can effect the exact time a tide will peak, ebb etc.

I have found this guide to tides an absolute must have. The other info contained in it is :-

Moon Phases, sunrise and set , Moon rise and set, and explaination of tides, lat and long datumn, King tide listings for most areas, conversion tables, boating safety guide, weather explainations, smooth , calm and open water maps, Navigation aids, Whale watching regs, First aid and the bloody list goes on.

As Molly would say, do yourself a favour and pop out and get this !!!!!!!!
CHeers Phill

tincanpeter
10-08-2006, 09:48 AM
Thanks Phil I have allowed the +44 high tide and -16 low tide. It just seem ridiculous to be so far out. I have no doubt the times , that the TV and papers publish comes from the offical sourses.

bungie
10-08-2006, 08:32 PM
http://www.bom.gov.au/oceanography/tides/

Adamy
10-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Yup... was in Rocky a couple of weeks ago - checked out the local rag for tide times... I thought maybe they made a mistake and printed times around the wrong way.... they were at least 5 hours out. Must be pretty common up that way... very strange