PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in Fiji

Lobster48
10-08-2006, 12:24 PM
I am looking at speading my wings further afield and read a few reports on Fiji.

I am after information on the current fleet of charter boats and the types of fishing that is conducted over there as well as any personal experiences about the good and bad aspects of fishing over there as well as the type of gear etc needed are most charters well equipped.

Also the average cost for trips ranging from bottom bashing up to heavy game.

Cheers

Lobster

Big_Ren
10-08-2006, 02:24 PM
Where will you be staying Lobster? If you're going to be on the Coral Coast, most of the resorts can arrange charters from their tour desks and they will pick you up and drop you off.

Cheers
Paul

phatty
10-08-2006, 04:20 PM
hey lobster48,

just about anywhere you are staying over there, there are charters for each island/resort?
where abouts are u heading? My bet is email the place your booked at and ask them what they have on offer and if there not up to ur liking.. u can always ask them if they can put u onto anyothers. Nices people in the world over there.. keen to do anything to make u happy!

matt

Lobster48
10-08-2006, 07:23 PM
I have no plans at the moment...will likely base any trips around the best fishing options.

I am really looking for general information on the charter scene and also any reviews from people who have been there recently.

Lobster

Maria
10-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Been over there a few times. Fishing is generally bottom bashing and trolling, both inshore and offshore. Given that the islands are all underwater seamounts, the depth drops away very quickly...so no need to head out far. If you're over on the Coral Coast, go to the Warwick resort and walk through to the beach. Head west down the beach about 200m to where there's a few beach shacks and ask one of the locals for a bloke named Joe. He's a local fisherman who I fished with a few times. Great bloke. If you do end up there tell him Ben from Brisbane said gday.

Cheers

Benno

Jackinthebox
10-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Hi Lobster,

Here's a good link with some handy info

http://www.fijidiscovery.com/fishing-in-fiji.php

If you want to chase big GT's, Coral Trout, Red Bass, Walu(Spaniards), etc on poppers, Jim Siers at Angler's Paradise is your guy.

For Heavy Tackle, as well as big Wahoo,etc, Xtasea Charters are very well set up and based out of Pacific Harbour on the Coral Coast.

I have some friends who live over there on the Coral Coast. I left two of my best rods there when we were late for the plane last time, oh well guess that's a good excuse to go back. ;D

Funny thing is, they love to surf and hardly ever take the rods out with them - lazy buggers - it's always Fiji Time over there.

Cheers,

Mick.