PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Footwear

PinHead
10-08-2006, 01:55 AM
I just got home from having a fish with "gunna" tonight. As soon as it got dark out came his wollen socks and ugg boots..I was almost waiting for his favorite lounge chair for him to relax on. This raised the topic between us of fishing footwear at night..wondering what others wear on their feet when fishing in winter?

Angla
10-08-2006, 02:10 AM
Always woolly socks and sneakers...........Very important to keep the feet dry and warm.

Angla

lock
10-08-2006, 02:33 AM
footy socks and sneakers

griz066
10-08-2006, 06:45 AM
Double pluggers for me 8-)

seatime
10-08-2006, 07:08 AM
neoprene diving booties, they keep the feet warm wet or dry. ;)

Herm
10-08-2006, 07:54 AM
Just bought myself a pair of those Crocs rubbery, clog things. Very comfortable and dry out very quickley and for the night/cold early mornings, you can fit a pair of socks on underneath!

:)Janine

R_K_HILL
10-08-2006, 08:52 AM
Usually pluggers, but early this week bought some $20 Gum boots (knee high), plenty of rocks and glass up the pine (where I've been fishing latley)

Gutsy
10-08-2006, 08:56 AM
Crocs are great for the warmer days and cant beat the holeproof explorers and workboots on cold winter mornings

stevedemon
10-08-2006, 09:16 AM
Hi pinhead
as we get older the old bones like to keep warmer winter fishing is now a days break out the woollie socks and uggies one pair for home one pair for fishing and aspare pair if the other pair gets wet the same with the head wear full face belaclava to keep the ears warm ::) ;D :-[ :'( and its a crying shame but hay must keep warm bed gear is one donner, 2 blankets and pillow with belaclava this also keeps middies and mossie of head while sleeping with mossie coil going all night only wish i could pack the kitchen sink but that is in the wifes hand bag ;D :-? ;D :P

one thing always on board 25ltrs of water for coffee and port to keep the guts warm one nip before bedding down

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

puks
10-08-2006, 09:23 AM
i think the cold is one reason i wouldnt go night fishing
early in the mornings i guess uhmmm ive got a pair of the cheap crocs could wear socks but since im the one holding the boat my feet get wet
so in the boat i have a towel and the socks if needed but certainly gloves
im usually dressed to warm in the onion fashion layer over layer
best way to keep the upper body warm is a tight top and then tshirts or jumpers on top of that.

for landbase fishing if i knew i would have to get into the water i would wear my hippi army boots with steel sole and two pairs of socks or gumboots ( saw some one day that are real girly with flowers on it :-*)
but the army boots are my first choice.

anya

mylestom
10-08-2006, 09:24 AM
Agree with the port very important to warm up from the inside first.
Then the outer layers either come on or off depending on the size of the bottle.
Trev

Argle
10-08-2006, 10:06 AM
I wear my white shoes ;) You know the good old Dunlop Volley ;D Best fishing shoe ever made i reckon. Bit of a bugger in the cold weather though......isnt that what they make Bourbon & Rum for?

Cheers and beers
Scott

gunna
10-08-2006, 10:09 AM
I will fess up for Greg on his behalf. Know what he wears ? Middle of winter in a tinny ?? Nuthing :o :o :o Bare feet. And he rubbished me for my ugg boots - something about all those years in NSW making me weak ;D ;D. I reckon we should start a poll on this one !! The bugger is just plain MMAADD !!!!!

Jitlands
10-08-2006, 10:14 AM
bare foot and shorts, lets face it you are going to get wet anyway.
wool jumper under a yellow coat topped off with an beanie keeps the blood warm

Smailesy
10-08-2006, 10:59 AM
footy socks and vollys 4 me

onerabbit
10-08-2006, 11:40 AM
If its cold, its the gummies, any other time its the black neoprene slippers.

Muzz

Az
10-08-2006, 11:43 AM
gum boots and footy socks!! makes jumping into the water at the boat ramp easier to than messing around with shoes

el_carpo
10-08-2006, 11:57 AM
Last winter, I was out shovelling snow and chopping ice in wind chill factors of -23 C. What I usually do is dress in layers. Doing so creates the best defense against the cold. Warm air gets trapped between your clothing layers and you stay relatively warm. For my feet, I usually just put on two pairs of socks and wear a pair of boots. If the snow is slushy or if I know my feet will get soaked (like they may while fishing), I put on a pair of rain boots over my boots or shoes (still with the two pair of socks). One thing to remember is that wool stays warm even if it gets wet. Great for keeping you warm.

I've never tried any of the newer clothing materials or the diving wear so I can't say how good they are. I would imagine the diving suit material would work real well. I may have to look into that for next season's snow shovelling.

I don't think it gets that cold (-23 C) there but you're definately smart to do your best to stay warm. It doesn't have to be that cold for you to receive tissue damage from the cold. What's really bad is the dampness in the air near water and the wind. Those two factors will really do you in if you're not careful.

One more thing. No alchohol (it's true, so stop booing ;D). It thins your blood and you'll get frostbite much faster. If you've ever seen frostbit skin, you know it's not something you want to deal with. Nasty.

Stay cool......er....... I mean warm folks,

EC

PinHead
10-08-2006, 04:22 PM
I could have worn my new thongs

marlinqld
10-08-2006, 04:57 PM
$heite............... another bloody rabbit supporter.

Pinhead take a seat next to my father...he has one red eye one green eye................. Woof Woof who let the dogs out.......

StevenM
10-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Crocs for me

SCOTTYGC
10-08-2006, 05:56 PM
I could have worn my new thongs

they look like they have been worn after every win this year greg ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

black double pluggers for me

Cheech
10-08-2006, 07:03 PM
One more thing. #No alchohol (it's true, so stop booing ;D). #It thins your blood and you'll get frostbite much faster. #If you've ever seen frostbit skin, you know it's not something you want to deal with. #Nasty.

EC

So based on that, are you saying that in our hot summer climate here in Brisbane, we should drink more to stay cool?

blaze
10-08-2006, 07:12 PM
THERMALS AND WADERS

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
10-08-2006, 07:49 PM
I only just discovered waders about 15 months ago. It used to be ugg boots on the cold cold nites, and nothing but bare feet every other hour of my life.
The waders have allowed me to do some pretty daring things that were unheard of in my night operations. Go the waders. Great inventions
Johnny

2DKnBJ
10-08-2006, 07:50 PM
Wear the uggies in winter and if it rains hide them and slip on the dive boots.

Cheers Dazza

Bundy_Burp
10-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Pair of footy socks and runners 4 me

Bundy 8-)

Great_White
10-08-2006, 08:12 PM
Explorer sox and a pair of adidas scuffs work for me ;)

Peter :)

SECRET_AGENT
10-08-2006, 09:21 PM
Double pluggers for me, but then again I do fish the Cairn's region

phatty
10-08-2006, 09:47 PM
sheep wool socks.. dont even need anything else, otherwise your feet sweat!

phatty
10-08-2006, 09:48 PM
barefoot summer!! ;D ;D ;D

Adamy
10-08-2006, 09:57 PM
one thing always on board 25ltrs of water for coffee and port to keep the guts warm one nip before bedding down Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

Geez!!! Thats a lot of coffee Steve... what about the porta-pottie??? ;D ;D

roz
10-08-2006, 11:17 PM
My diving boots, can't do without them as I like night fishing.

Roz

Streetkid
11-08-2006, 12:23 AM
I now where bare feet since my dog got into the shed and chewed up one of my rubber booties.

tunaman
11-08-2006, 12:28 AM
If you are prone to fishing accidents, wear good shoes.
It all depends on what type of fishing you do.
I like bare feet when I fish in a boat or the sand.
Because my feet really smell in sandshoes.
After a day in them, and then I take them off, the smell will kill everything
in a 20metre radius.

signed tunaman

el_carpo
11-08-2006, 01:19 AM
One more thing. No alchohol (it's true, so stop booing ;D). It thins your blood and you'll get frostbite much faster. If you've ever seen frostbit skin, you know it's not something you want to deal with. Nasty.

EC

So based on that, are you saying that in our hot summer climate here in Brisbane, we should drink more to stay cool?

;D Never thought of that Cheech. Sounds good to me! ;D

stevedemon
11-08-2006, 02:08 AM
Hi adamy
most of the time there are 2 on board as for porta-potty over the side for recycled water ;D ;D ::) ::) and i'm always out for overnighters or leave friday don't come home till sunday have a good wife that lets me go when she says i can go

it also helps to when you eat noodles and soup in winter
and yes i drink a lot of coffee and drink very little alchole when on board the only thing i drink is a port before bedding down only allow 2 beers per person on my boat per night and no beer for the skipper like all my facilities and at my age they are getting fewer ;D ::) :P :'(

one thing always on board 25ltrs of water for coffee and port to keep the guts warm one nip before bedding down Cheers
Steve

Geez!!! Thats a lot of coffee Steve... what about the porta-pottie???

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

INDULGENCE
11-08-2006, 09:02 AM
onto my second pair of Crocs.
Its surprising how warm they keep you toes on the beach at night

Wally