PDA

View Full Version : no more sp's!!hardbody and bait only!!!!!!!!!!!

gutzy
11-08-2006, 06:21 PM
Been tryin for ages. Bought many a dvd asked many an angler.
Tweak this , wind this , buy this try this.
ENOUGH!!!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
I say slap a livie or a bit of dirty stinkin rotten flesh on the hook and listen to the reel sing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
so who agrees???

marlinqld
11-08-2006, 07:19 PM
I am with you gutzy.............. down with the sp's go the smelly stuff....

R_K_HILL
11-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Nothing beats a livie ;)

hussy
11-08-2006, 07:44 PM
here here, if it means i,m not fishing the fationable way . well so be it .bugger the hb,s and sps. from now on i,m fishing. hubby

blaze
11-08-2006, 08:22 PM
I fish with lures when need arises, trooling for tuna/marlin, catching a few aussie salmon for bait for bait for bait, did I saay that
my prefered method of fishing is with bait even if it gets on my hands and makes them smell like fish perfume
cheers
blaze

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
11-08-2006, 09:31 PM
I too have tried the SP's and spent considerable money on buying them. I have asked, watched, observed and hopefully learnt, but I simply cannot achieve the results I get on bait.........pure simple, smelly, bloody bait........and livies.

The SP's are the greatest con I have witnessed in 40 years of fishing, in my opinion.

Cheers
Dave

The_Walrus
11-08-2006, 09:43 PM
hard bodies for ever ;D ;D

bait whenever

sp's as the last resort

Luc

lock
11-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Yeah I know what you mean , after watching a couple of movies you race down to the tackle shop and you hand over $50 you get a pep talk from the bloke, straight to the water thinking that a fool could catch fish with them. Then 1hr 4hr pass nothing and your mate beside you fishing with bait and actually catching fish. ;D

dop
11-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Gutzy
I,m with you all the way, plastics suck
Peter

stevedemon
11-08-2006, 10:47 PM
Hi all
i kow a few blokes that swear by plastic's have try them myself but have grown up on the bait side of life and works well for me always get a feed and have some fun bait fishing is the one for me

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

Bundy_Burp
11-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Sps Hbs and Live bait all have there place the trick is to know when to use each one for the best effect .

Bundy 8-)

griz066
11-08-2006, 11:15 PM
Go the live bait stuff that plastic sh!t 8-)

Scalem
12-08-2006, 03:15 AM
Guys... guys!

Read the reports. Which method won this year's River to Mud challenge? ( thanks Foggy!) There are certain times I think I prefer bait to SP's, but that's usually night time, which I seldom fish. Otherwise, the convenience of SP's heavily weighs in their favour, What I don't use the 1st trip I keep for future trips with no change in the quality.

But there's no point me trying to convince you, I can keep talking till the cows come home. Fishing methods don't need to be set in concrete as to which one you choose on the day, nor am I written a yellow card for trying both. Set yourself some goals - If you have not had a bite on bait for an hour, rig up another rig with a plastic and flick it around while your bait soaks for another hour... You might get a pleasant surprise! ;)

Scalem

Louis
12-08-2006, 07:57 AM
I have never been a fan of soft plastics, I have always done far better with bait than I have with soft plastics.

I am reminded by the saying, "Lures catch fishermen, not fish".

Lures and soft plastics have their place. But as a general rule, you will do much better with bait.

Louis

Smailesy
12-08-2006, 08:04 AM
live bait is the natural bait but i get a buz out of fooling a fish on sp :)

webby
12-08-2006, 08:06 AM
Love em, use em all the time.

Jewmaster
12-08-2006, 09:03 AM
Im just about to start trying soft plastic again. As a young fella the only thing that worked for barra in the local river where the good old vibratails, Simple strong and they worked. They might get torn but you could melt them a bit and reseal, have another flick. todays plastics seem to be made to fall apart, One strike from a barra, no hookup, shattered plastic. :o

The rynoski shads where also great for a while but than they changed them and they stopped working completly for us, bring back some of the old designs, The ones that worked. they should try and use the KISS principle. ;D

I used a popper once with a soft body with the popper bit attached and it worked really well, the fish where happy to knock it a couple of times, the hard body seems to turn them off on poppers. :'(

In the end the reason I love using bait is once i have cast my line, i can put it in the rod holder, sit down and have a beer. To use lures, you have to stand and don't have a spare hand for a beer, so they will always be a issue.

mickstar001
12-08-2006, 09:49 AM
PLASTICS MAN HERE ::)

Adamy
12-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Any of you "bait only" guys want to sell me your old useless crap load of plastics - really cheap ;D ;D?? They dont work anyway - might as well get rid of them... I'll pay you hmmm say 25cents to the dollar?? Better than letting them rot - or chucking them in the Bin... I'll even pay postage ;D ;D ;D

Hey Webby - the rules are they must have tails intact - or no deal ;)

Craigus
12-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Plastic Fantastic for me. 8-)

SIRO
12-08-2006, 02:22 PM
We have been using SP's on Snapper this winter and have been absolutly braining them , bigger fish and more of them.
I will NEVER use bait on Snapper again.

Plastics forever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers SIRO

phatty
12-08-2006, 04:59 PM
nothing like fooling a fish

flickflack
12-08-2006, 09:20 PM
Plastics are a top way to fish and both have there places in the fisho's arsenal but for those of us that just go out for a quick fish, the use of plastics and other lures make life a lot easier ;)

Rod

puks
12-08-2006, 09:29 PM
flickflack
i like you train of thought

i am yet to try and learn the famous/infamous sp's and looking forward to it
simple because iam such a girl and dont like touching worms

but apart from that it does look quicker putting sp on a hook
so iam curious about them

regards
anya

DICER
12-08-2006, 10:17 PM
blood and flesh wounds will never fail

Green
13-08-2006, 09:22 AM
I'll always fish a livie or strip bait, but have pulled a few on sp's while things were slow. Throw one around the boat for 5 mins., if i get nothin' just stow it away for next time. I'll try almost anything to catch some, but always be baited.

foggy
13-08-2006, 11:06 AM
My last 18 months in the bay have been as follows.

Snapper bigger than 60cms on bait- ZERO

On plastics - 12 and counting including 4 x 80cm and above

Bait rarley makes it on to my boat now unless for a night time session.

flickflack
13-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Foggy

I like the imakatsu swimming lure in the snappers mouth on your piccie. They are awesome lures to use. I dont mind using bait on the odd occasion but i am unfortunately a lure junkie.

Cheers Rod

Dezzer
13-08-2006, 12:01 PM
The less people that use sp's the better! More choice at the shop and more fish to catch. Down with plastic. Everybody anchor up and fish with bait. ;D

gunna
13-08-2006, 12:18 PM
Plastics will never be popular with fisho's who like to relax and soak baits. Its for the hyper-active fishos. Its cast cast cast all day. Look for gutters. Look for drop-offs. Look for drains. Look for weed patches. Cast to all of them. Move here. Move there. Suits me down to the ground. I come home knackered in the knees from standing all day. Knackered in the arms from casting all day. But I feel like I have been FISHING. And love it.

Still enjoy bait fishing when the time is right though.

Ozwald
13-08-2006, 04:21 PM
I'm with you Gunna - my missus insists on fishing with bait but I find all the activity associated with sp's the go. I also find I get a much better "feel" with whats going on on the end of the line that just dangling a bit of bait around. I cant say the catch rates between me and the missus show a huge variation but on the whole I tend to get the bigger fish of the day.

petelaska
13-08-2006, 06:59 PM
my son is into the latest lure & plastics we mainly fish fresh with them. I don't tell him to use bait as I think that he should work out a few things for himself so we go out on the dams and trow/troll all maner of bits and pieces.jackals, spinners. lures,plastics, poppers but when its nearly time to head home we will put on a couple of live shrimp and get a couple of bass or yellows to take home for a feed. when we get to the tackle shop during the next week the fellow inveriably says "you should have been using this colour that style or ice jigs(which were the only ones we didn't have. How did he know?)"
as a side note we had a camping weekend at Moreton island 4 weeks ago and he got his first lure caught flathead on a lure he got for xmass about 4 years ago, this lure has had about 20km of throwing & towing in the past 4 years and is definately his favourite.(we also got quite a few on bait)
The only thing I need to know is how do you get boney bream as all schools apparently feed on these.
Pete

gutzy
13-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Unreal.
I like the hyperactive fisherman , that was funny(but true). ;D ;D
If you want to feel what is happening at the end of the line then hold onto it. ::)
I agree with the "quick fish" for using sp's but why fish quick.
When I fish it envolves finding a spot , anchoring up , cooking my bacon and eggs havin a coffee , riggin my rods , sittin back enjoying my time on the water as it runs out on monday. :-[
Everyones got their view ,
For me , well , you all know. ;D ;D ;D ;D

maxwellson
14-08-2006, 06:03 AM
sp's rule ;D ;D ;D ;D

PinHead
14-08-2006, 06:08 AM
Nothing can match coming home with everything smelling of chook gut

Green
16-08-2006, 12:07 AM
Gunna & Gutzy, great to see both sides of the coin. :)

Steve_Monckton
16-08-2006, 12:15 PM
G'day fellow fisherpeople, I have not used bait for years and have had better results on SP's and HB's than most people realise, but each to their own I say. If you get a buzz out of a pleasant day's fishing with bait, good onya. The same applies if you get a buzz out of fooling the fish by using plastic and metal. For me it's a personal challenge to fool fish by artificial means. I like to pursue the fish in an active mode and that means moving around until I find the fish and if the fish are hungry the will take whatever is chucked in front of them regardless, sometimes on the first cast, sometimes on the one hundred and first cast. I get plenty of exercise and have fun. Double bonus! cheers, steve.

finding_time
16-08-2006, 12:49 PM
Can anyone join this ' STINKY FISHERMAN CLUB and does a nose peg come with the membership. 8-)

Ian

Chook gut [smiley=uhoh.gif]