puks
10-08-2006, 12:18 PM
http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Surpris/3d-surpris-non.gif
what the?!
that is massive

http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Surpris/surpris-yeux-crie.gifanya

Lobster48
10-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Makes you wonder what is doing out of the water?

Slient
10-08-2006, 01:03 PM
That was my monster who snap my fishing line @ Banks months ago... ;D
Guessed weight around 200kg mark...

Silent

Big_Ren
10-08-2006, 02:22 PM
:o :o

SeaHunt
10-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Makes you wonder what is doing out of the water?

I suppose you could leave it there to rot and stink up the place [smiley=wreck.gif]
Crabs would be happy. :)

Smailesy
10-08-2006, 03:04 PM
wow

Fishin_Dan
10-08-2006, 03:08 PM
:o He could get in it!!! That thing is massive!!!

freddyfish
10-08-2006, 03:22 PM
That hook has got to be at least 3 foot long!!!

Excellent catch

Brad

Got_the_Fever
10-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Definately makes me want to go back up to Gladdie. I miss my days up there and now even more. That is a true monster.

Kel [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

land-lubber
10-08-2006, 03:47 PM
I think what he was saying guys is that it was found dead in the marina and that there was no marks on it, ie, not netted or sharked etc

phatty
10-08-2006, 04:01 PM
it looks like it has been frozen, and left to melt in the sun..

caught on a trawler.. then frozen.. on the return to gladstone "oh sh-it! its protected?? throw it over the back!!"..

possible??

or

the local groper that eats all those undersized trout up the far end? cause of death - ?

take ya pick!

matt

phatty
10-08-2006, 04:03 PM
ps.. whats the date of that photo?

R_K_HILL
10-08-2006, 07:21 PM
It looks a bit sick...

warrior
10-08-2006, 07:36 PM
old age hes goin a bit grey

Great_White
10-08-2006, 08:44 PM
That's one big fish :o :o :o :o

Probably just died of old age, but I think phatty is closer to the money with his theory ;)

Peter.

Tropicaltrout
10-08-2006, 08:47 PM
Wow you found my mother in law ;D

Murks
11-08-2006, 01:35 PM
what a pity that such a huge fish has met his maker :(...I bet the area he frequented will now be deserted as is usually the case when such a critter is taken from or died in a habitat that has been protected by it all its life..
Brett

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
11-08-2006, 09:45 PM
Why would the area be deserted Murks? That big fella had to feed on something, and now something will be able live relatively care free. Unless of course he had a mate........ which they very often do.

Cheers
Dave

MyEscape
12-08-2006, 05:57 AM
Have I missed something (again) what sort of fish is it?

Nice theory about the trawler and throwing it out. Probably right on the money

Steve

griz066
12-08-2006, 08:12 AM
Holy sh!t thats one big muther of a fish wonder how it died........would like to see the fish that scared it to death ::)

agnes_jack
12-08-2006, 10:01 AM
What a shame to see such a magnificent fish dead. I hope it wasn't caught by some p#ick who killed it for the sake of a photo and then dumped it. Or by someone who doesn't know the rules on a protected fish like that >:( >:(

I think Murks is dead right, a fish like that has a vital part to play in the ecology of it's reef. I have heard the theory many times that once a cod that size is removed from a reef, that the whole reef ecology changes. What effect it actually has none of us really know, but they certainly have a major impact on the checks and balances in a given area.

It may not help on a cod as big as that fella, but I hope all fishers who frequent the reefs out there are aware of the rules for oversize cod and that everyone looks at carrying a heavy dropper weight to aid in the succesful release of these valuable fish. I personally hate myself when I pull one of the big guy's up, and have often spent a long time reviving these guys' and making sure they return to the bottom as healthy as I can. Too many times I have seen them floating away on the surface because someone can not be bothered, or doesn't know how to release them correctly.
Everyone should make a point of learning the best release techniques for unwanted or illegal fish and to carry a good heavy release weight.!!!!!!!!

Sad,sad Tony :'( :'( :'(

Sea-Dog
12-08-2006, 10:58 AM
What a shame to see such a magnificent fish dead. ................................

It may not help on a cod as big as that fella, but I hope all fishers who frequent the reefs out there are aware of the rules for oversize cod and that everyone looks at carrying a heavy dropper weight to aid in the succesful release of these valuable fish. ............... Too many times I have seen them floating away on the surface because someone can not be bothered, or doesn't know how to release them correctly.
Everyone should make a point of learning the best release techniques for unwanted or illegal fish and to carry a good heavy release weight.!!!!!!!!

Hey Agnes-Jack.
Could you explain what and how to use a heavy dropper weight. (Not that I'm ever likely to bring up a sea-monster like that) # :-/

Cheers, Sea-Dog

jim_farrell
12-08-2006, 11:17 AM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1151107859/9#9

Try this sea dog.

phatty
12-08-2006, 05:16 PM
This photo was used on the front page of the Gladstone observer on friday.

they had reported that "The monster Queensland Groper found dead in Gladstone harbour (hitting rocks on the shoreline between Auckland oint and South Trees Wharf.) earlier this week and its believed the unmarked fish, which weighted in at 201kg, may have died of old age."

i have heard of stories of these massive groper around the tannum/glastone area, and now this proves them. It had been found after being dead for 4 days.. he wouldnt have died far away, otherwise it would have been eatin by some other predetor. Lives under the whalf is my guess.

matt

Murks
12-08-2006, 06:02 PM
Well Reel Nauti, its what I know and what I have read so I guess its just part of the education process by those who know a lot more than me :).....nevertheless, isnt it always great to put something back that has thrived and lived so long :-/
look at those who put the breeding flatties back for example, when you post a pic of a huge flattie that you took most fishos suggest you have done the wrong thing by taking a breeder or protector away from the habitat.
Just my opinion,
Brett

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
12-08-2006, 06:58 PM
Hey Murks I wasn't having a shot at you. I just didn't believe that the big fella had come from the reef or a trawler. There have been a couple hanging around under the QAL wharf for years and years. Every now and then someone brings one of them to the surface. There is also a big bugger at the edge of the red mud dam wall. He loves sandcrabs, and I'm not the only one to have been towed around by him.

Many years ago when I was a lad in Gladstone there were two HUGE cod living around O'Connell wharf. The authorities at the time felt they were a threat to the dozens of kids who used to jump off the wharf or swing off the dereks for a swim. A couple of blokes went down to the wharf, I'm not sure for how long, but eventually caught the massive cod/s. In so doing, the handrails on the wharf were buckled and bent for quite some time.

The big fella's also live under the main wharf and the Barney Pt wharf. You don't hear too much about them any more as no one is permitted to fish from those wharves.

Cheers
Dave

shaman
12-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Awesome to see that these huge fish live so close to us........
Maybe they are the COD'S that our new religion will be worshipping ;D
..............Billy

puks
12-08-2006, 07:39 PM
thanks phatty for sharing about the groper
must have had a great live dying of old age at this size

i also second billy's idea ;D

anya

ps billy thanks

Murks
12-08-2006, 10:53 PM
never took it that way way Reel Nauti ;) not at all :)
if ya ever get to cooktown watch out for the big fella under the jetty there :o
and the same goes for the lucinda jetty , holy crap i wish i could find the pics of that beast eating my live bait tank :o amazingly scary stuff
Brett

agnes_jack
13-08-2006, 06:08 AM
We have a few big-uns around here at 1770. One frequents the estuary and is often hand fed at the jetty. Another very large one and several slightly smaller ones are seen around one of the rock fishing platforms. I have lost many fish to the old bugger. He has worked out the best place to land a fish and as soon as one is hooked he goes and lies right underneath, waiting for you to bring your fish within range. ;D One morning my son and I lost 5 bluefin between 15-20pounds, fish lures the whole lot. He grabbed a 35 pounder I had on one morning :o It is amazing to see the speed these guys get up, you have got a bluefin tuna screaming along at the end of your line, and the big fella actually catches up and up to half his body leaves the water as he crashes down over the top of the bluie!!! We once had him chase a fish right up onto the rock, about 3/4 of him out of the water, he waited for the next swell and then rolled himself back into the water :o :o :o Great fun to watch!!!
There was a bigger one that lived there that was killed by some spearo's years ago, just for the sake of thier ego. Also was told of one that was speared in the estuary. It was dragged up next to the boat ramp, a fillet roughly removed from one side, then pushed back into the water to rot >:(
They are magnificent creatures, and should be respected as such.
I have to wonder why the one in the photo was deemed to die of old age, they certainly grow a lot bigger than that fella, many reaching 300 + kg.

Regards, Tony

Jewmaster
13-08-2006, 10:13 AM
That is a huge fish, would have made some kids day fishing with his kmart rod at the marina

madmix
13-08-2006, 02:24 PM
Wonder if that gladstone harbour oil spill
earlier in the year may have finally taken its toll.

Know Aukland Ck and the Marina were both affected

phatty
13-08-2006, 06:47 PM
It may have attrubuted to its death.. in the way of making it sick.. but that was a long time ago

madmix
13-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Yeah phatty I know it was a while back, but a fish that size
would have eaten a lot of smaller fish that had been affected
by that spill, even if it was not directly affected, would be
interested to hear of any toxicology results.
Exposure to some chemicals etc takes years to kill, but can kill
a lot quicker if ingested.

Cheers Mick

phatty
14-08-2006, 03:57 PM
yea it would have been good to find out what did..
its is really quite possible.
to bad they dumped it!

matt

pojo
15-08-2006, 08:26 PM
Bloke who caught it should be hung no good to eat and should have been released i have just returned from a trip to swaines reef where we hand fed 2 big groper and have been doing it for the last 7 years

the_baker
15-08-2006, 09:42 PM
what a shame hopefully it was old age.

dave.

the_baker
15-08-2006, 09:46 PM
We have a few big-uns around here at 1770. One frequents the estuary and is often hand fed at the jetty. Another very large one and several slightly smaller ones are seen around one of the rock fishing platforms. I have lost many fish to the old bugger. He has worked out the best place to land a fish and as soon as one is hooked he goes and lies right underneath, waiting for you to bring your fish within range. ;D One morning my son and I lost 5 bluefin between 15-20pounds, fish lures the whole lot. He grabbed a 35 pounder I had on one morning :o It is amazing to see the speed these guys get up, you have got a bluefin tuna screaming along at the end of your line, and the big fella actually catches up and up to half his body leaves the water as he crashes down over the top of the bluie!!! We once had him chase a fish right up onto the rock, about 3/4 of him out of the water, he waited for the next swell and then rolled himself back into the water :o :o :o Great fun to watch!!!
There was a bigger one that lived there that was killed by some spearo's years ago, just for the sake of thier ego. Also was told of one that was speared in the estuary. It was dragged up next to the boat ramp, a fillet roughly removed from one side, then pushed back into the water to rot >:(
They are magnificent creatures, and should be respected as such.
I have to wonder why the one in the photo was deemed to die of old age, they certainly grow a lot bigger than that fella, many reaching 300 + kg.

Regards, Tony

hey tony
and the 18kg GT that I caught but it was landed. ;D ;D

dave..

agnes_jack
16-08-2006, 07:09 AM
Yeah Dave
He goes thru more fish than a japanese longliner!! ;D ;D ;D
Gotta luv him!!

Regards, Tony

fartfish
16-08-2006, 11:15 AM
wow thats a huge fish we caught one like that jigging off cairns while on holiday. i am 6 foot tall and the one we caught was as long as me. it tasted really good too, my friends family all took fillets home to freeze.

fishingnottake
16-08-2006, 11:45 AM
you're taking the piss aren;t you?

fartfish
16-08-2006, 01:18 PM
why would I be taking the piss? We caught our fish on a 100gm knife jig while jigging some reefs about an hour out from Cairns. Like I said, I am 6 feet tall and when I laid down next to the fish he was as long as me.

I didnt like the taste of it much but the mates family said it was fantastic. Caught on 80lb braid, TLD25 fished on a T-Curve 37kg rod.

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
16-08-2006, 08:00 PM
You're a game bugger coming on here and admitting that Fartfish. Prepare for war matey.

Dave

fishingnottake
16-08-2006, 09:17 PM
why would I be taking the piss? We caught our fish on a 100gm knife jig while jigging some reefs about an hour out from Cairns. Like I said, I am 6 feet tall and when I laid down next to the fish he was as long as me.

I didnt like the taste of it much but the mates family said it was fantastic. Caught on 80lb braid, TLD25 fished on a T-Curve 37kg rod.
http://dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/xchg/dpi/hs.xsl/28_2627_ENA_HTML.htm go there then mate

the_baker
16-08-2006, 09:36 PM
Yeah Dave
He goes thru more fish than a japanese longliner!! ;D ;D ;D
Gotta luv him!!

Regards, Tony

yeah with the amount of fish this guy catches put us blokes on the back foot ;D. I'm glad he was not there when Dennis got
his little black off the rocks, mate that would have been shattering. but he certainly puts a bit more sport into it & it his rock.

dave.

NEWBY
17-08-2006, 12:09 PM
It was found floating in the Marina and there was no evidence of it being caught by trawlers or anything else for that matter. They reckon it simply died of old age. Bloody big fish but eh? ;D Would love to have that on the line for 15 or 20 minutes. What a buzz. Maybe rexy boy kissed it and gave it herpe's? :D
Shame it died though. Good for tourism when people get those things on the hook for a quick run. When I used to live in Broome in WA there was a 300lb plus cod that used to haunt the main jetty. It actually got pulled up once and the locals made the fisherperson (politically correct name) throw it back. Good thing too. And yes, it lived to take a few thousand more dollars worth of tackle so I hear. ;DGo the cod.

fartfish
17-08-2006, 02:32 PM
I read your QLD DPI site about lengths and sizes and whatever. The fact is nobody in this country is going to tell me what I can and can't have. If I want to eat a protected species or a species which is not length of too large then so be it. I pay my taxes and I am taking what I want in return.

Cant wait to get back there and land some more next holiday.

puks
17-08-2006, 02:38 PM
*duck incoming*

GregM
17-08-2006, 03:34 PM
fartfish,
Are you serious mate?
Im sure the fisheries department would be more than forgiving of you with a dynamite excuse like that, hell im sure they wouldnt even be interested in giving you a fine or taking your nice shiny boat and car off you! They would just let you go on your merry way and continue plundering our precious marine system!

Not a big fan of your ideals mate!

fartfish
17-08-2006, 03:46 PM
didnt ask you to like my ideals

but thats life they cant take my gear its not mine i was holidaying from nsw

my mate would have punched them out if they even tried anything on us he is a professional boxer he is huge. we dont have to bow down to anyone nobody tells us what to do, slip 'em a $50 bribe and they wont fine ya, we have done it before

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
17-08-2006, 05:07 PM
I'm not sure that your in the same world as the rest of us fartfish. This is Qld, Australia, Earth. Please don't send any more of your kind to our planet.

Dave

Murks
17-08-2006, 05:17 PM
ditto reel nauti ;)

madmix
17-08-2006, 07:10 PM
fartfish!!!!!!!!!!!!

One day wonder, doubt you would know one end of rod from
another, let alone have the skill to land anything near 200kg.

Just a shit stirer for my money

Got_the_Fever
17-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Fartfish

Im writing this real slow cause I know you cant read fast. If you are a sh$tstirrer you have gotten your bite, well done.

If you are for real please go back to mexico we dont need your kind in QLD ( just for you that means Queensland).

Kel.

ps If you are not quiet sure. IM BEING SARCASTIC

fishingnottake
17-08-2006, 07:58 PM
lets be fair, he's obviously had a hard day at school, and he's just stirring, it's ok mate it gets easier on highschool

Bundy_Burp
17-08-2006, 08:05 PM
If there was a prize for moron of the year fartfish would get my vote are there any others that would like to give fartfish a vote or two .

Bundy 8-)

lippa
17-08-2006, 10:35 PM
can i meet your mate? listen/read whatever, YOUR A ######!! bugger off and carry ya crap on somwhere else

cheers

lippa

roz
17-08-2006, 10:46 PM
What a shame to see such a magnificent fish dead. I hope it wasn't caught by some p#ick who killed it for the sake of a photo and then dumped it. Or by someone who doesn't know the rules on a protected fish like that >:( >:(

I think Murks is dead right, a fish like that has a vital part to play in the ecology of it's reef. I have heard the theory many times that once a cod that size is removed from a reef, that the whole reef ecology changes. What effect it actually has none of us really know, but they certainly have a major impact on the checks and balances in a given area.

It may not help on a cod as big as that fella, but I hope all fishers who frequent the reefs out there are aware of the rules for oversize cod and that everyone looks at carrying a heavy dropper weight to aid in the succesful release of these valuable fish. I personally hate myself when I pull one of the big guy's up, and have often spent a long time reviving these guys' and making sure they return to the bottom as healthy as I can. Too many times I have seen them floating away on the surface because someone can not be bothered, or doesn't know how to release them correctly.

Totally agree with you Tony,

I saw a similar thing happen from the Broome Jetty, will try and dig out the photo.

But it got worse, #after a week they saw it's mate swimming around obviously looking for it, so the same moron caught it as well.

r.

BTW. I wonder if fartfish is one of the VIs.

the_baker
17-08-2006, 11:10 PM
I'm with you lippa, we could have our own M&G. ;) ;D ;D

FARTFISH.

Anyway fartfish your mate is a pro boxer
then I don't think he would be hanging around with the likes of YOU. >:(

Dave.

fartfish
18-08-2006, 09:50 AM
Member has been banned and post removed.

lippa
18-08-2006, 10:04 AM
i wonder if bob wants his namr plastered all over a chat board? and especially being tarred with the same brush as you are, your only young, arn't you? because a "normal" adult doesn'y carry on the crap, that you are.

cheers

lippa

Murks
18-08-2006, 10:56 AM
gee mate you better stop raight now otherwise your mate just may be looking for your chin ;D

fartfish
18-08-2006, 11:17 AM
Member has been banned and post removed.

Got_the_Fever
18-08-2006, 11:26 AM
dear fartfish
i think it could be time
for you to actually reveal your true idenity
please put on your supermans outfit with your undies over your head.

as we all know all superheros need to have a heroic title.
seeing superman is already trademarked and we dont really want to change the s on your costume i would suggest we call you Superwit as opposed to having to change your costume and using an F.
I think you can figure out where i am going in case you cant dont worry just ask the others who do..

appointee of superhero names
kel

Glind
18-08-2006, 02:24 PM
I have watched Bob fight for a long time and he always respects the Refs decision and is well known as hard but fair man who is always willing to help young guys in the sport. He is well liked and respected by everyone.
I would doubt highly he goes around belting people for the hell of it.

Mods, do us all a favour and red card Fartfish please.

Tim

roz
18-08-2006, 02:46 PM
Mmmmmmmm Fishfart is definately a VI.

Just ignore it and get back to the topic.

snapattack
18-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Thank God fartfish has been red flagged.
What a hide to post on a fishing site all that crap. What a loser.

Snap

fishingnottake
18-08-2006, 04:58 PM
whats a VI?

roz
18-08-2006, 05:39 PM
whats a VI?

A VI is.........

VILLAGE IDIOT

a fat one at that

revs57
18-08-2006, 06:46 PM
good one Roz ;D ;D ;D ;D

madmix
18-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Dear Mr Ausfish,

Perhaps you should remove the poor blokes name
from Tim_n post.
Not his fault his mate was an idiot, if he in fact even knew fartfish

cheers Mick

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
18-08-2006, 09:15 PM
Ausfish decision applauded in this household.

Thank you
Dave

puks
19-08-2006, 10:38 AM
same here reel nauti

but i suspect he'll be back with a new nick they always are

anya

Bundy_Burp
19-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Well done on the ban Aushfish I was wondering how long he would last
Oh well I suppose that mystery is solved

Bundy 8-)