PDA

View Full Version : Is Fishing a Religion

GAD
08-08-2006, 10:09 PM
Is Fishing a Religion ?
Can be if enough people register it with census ,[ apparently last census Jedi Knight became a religion as so many people registered it as their religion], maybe we can have it as a weekly church outing on the water .

Greg

Big_unit
08-08-2006, 10:31 PM
Yep its religion alrighty.

Cheers
James

tunaman
08-08-2006, 10:49 PM
I dont know about it being a religion, but I would be lost with out it.
If fishing is a religion, the open water is my church.
Hal to the fish god.

signed tunaman ;)

revs57
08-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Well Greg, #as somewhat of a resident expert on such matters (ex as in unknown quantity, and spert as in a drip under pressure!) I'd definitely have to say no!

Sadly, religion which is meant to foster spiritual growth and development is sometimes corrupted by power and politics therefore made useful to no one, and most aussies write it off at that point for that reason and for good reason - so be careful what you believe!

To me...

Religion is about a bloke who sits in church and dreams about going fishing...
On the other hand Spirituality is about a bloke who goes fishing and thinks about the wonder of creation, the mysteries of its creator and the connection he personally has with all of that!

so anyone for communion?????

I reckon Tunaman is onto something!!!!!

Unfortunately the Census doesn't ask the right question!!!!

I look forward to the development of this post!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

Rhys

fishingjew
09-08-2006, 12:10 AM
Well i dont know about Fishing being a Religion but i do consult my bible before going out now lets see chapter 2 page 3 witch marks to use ;D

stevedemon
09-08-2006, 02:03 AM
Hi all
revs57 is on to some thing but he forgot to mention that the man upstairs walk on water we steer on water, and gave peter the fisherman the best catch he even had still waiting for mine, for those that are catholic eat fish on friday with no red meat to be seen we are all under one roof with the same stars weather it be rain hale or shine, we still pray for a good feed, clear skies, but pray we have a good time, fish in boat a bonus, we are all bare footed and fore ever washing hands watering the head some are water the bodies with spirits we all have bread on board and some even have wine and on most days in the hot sun we are dunking our heads into the water so it clearly shows that with all this as my Grand parents where religious my grand-father once told me you do not have to go the church as the man up-stair never preached inside it was always on the cobble stones a rock wall or in the open spaces and on the water

we can say we have a religion

and for once there is no differents between any of us, we are all under the one banner, one roof at any one time and we all take the same chances

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

P.S i'm not a religious person myself but like many other i have my own beliefs

Scottnojack
09-08-2006, 06:47 AM
Damn straight it's a religion. I devote every Sunday morning (plus other days for special occasions like Easter and Christmas) to being on the water. When I am there I am praying to the fish God's for there largest offering. It sounds like a religion to me :D

maztez
09-08-2006, 07:23 AM
I was bought up with the ethics of never getting into arguments over politics or religion because everyone has their own beleifs and beleive that they are right ,hence no one can win the debate .Just my dribblings (fishing is your own personal religion)
cheers Terry

major-defect
09-08-2006, 07:53 AM
I worship Latis a celtic goddess of water and beer.It seemed to suit LOL.

sunny
09-08-2006, 08:05 AM
:P

Forgive me paternoster for I have sinned
It has been six weeks since my last plastics session

I confess to having lusted after better tackle
I have lied about my weights and measures
last week I coveted my neighbor's boat

Please forgive this unworthy fisher and a I promise to spend more time on the water and will take a mate fishing as penance

iank
09-08-2006, 08:15 AM

Please forgive this unworthy fisher and a I promise to spend more time on the water and will take a mate fishing as penance

LMAO ;D ;D ;D ;D

mylestom
09-08-2006, 08:40 AM
Only if you do it on Sunday.
Trev

mylestom
09-08-2006, 08:41 AM
Only if you do it on Sunday.
Trev

Fishslayer
09-08-2006, 08:42 AM
Now, i am not a religious buff, but i found this cute little prayer.

An Angler's Prayer

I pray that I may fish until my dying day,
and, when it comes to my last cast;
I then most humbly pray,
when in the Lord's great landing net
and peacefully asleep;
that in His mercy I be judged
big enough to keep.

#:)

shayned
09-08-2006, 09:00 AM
I BELIEVE IN COD

Someone had to do it. ::)

revs57
09-08-2006, 09:30 AM
You blokes are a crack up ;D ;D ;D

Aquasolution...ooops I mean....Absolution to you all

rhys

puks
09-08-2006, 09:52 AM
I BELIEVE IN COD

Someone had to do it. ::)

now that would be a bumber sticker i'd like on the car

or would it be politicaly incorrect i wonder

regards anya

lattic
09-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Amen Shayned

R_K_HILL
09-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Dear Cod,

Bless this fishing session I am about to recieve!

Sportfish_5
09-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Always a priest onboard to administer last rites to toothie critters 8-) 8-) 8-)

Alex9797
09-08-2006, 01:12 PM
its far more important than that

amen

Alex

Az
09-08-2006, 02:51 PM

;D ;D ;D classic, that got a laugh out of me ;D

robersl
09-08-2006, 07:12 PM
i hope it is as my jobs has religous holidays in our agreement

roz
09-08-2006, 07:42 PM
Bless you Greg,

Roz [smiley=angel.gif]

finding_time
09-08-2006, 08:11 PM
I cant be a religion, religions only ask for a 10% of your gross salary as a donation! :-[

ian

jim_bream
09-08-2006, 08:36 PM
From dictionary.com:

re·li·gion
noun.

1) a- Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
# # b- A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
2) The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
3) A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
4) A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

Now if that aint the spot-onnest definition of fishligion, I'll be a Bream's uncle!

finding_time
09-08-2006, 08:39 PM
So if fishing is a Religion!!! ;)

Does that make Ausfish a CULT :o :o :o :o :o :o

Ian

Lucky_Phill
09-08-2006, 09:26 PM
It certainly does Ian, considering Grants is " The Bible ".

Phill

lippa
09-08-2006, 10:21 PM
i beleive in karma! i killed a fish once, thats why i can't catch any more :( ;)!!!!!!!!!!

cheers

lippa

Got_the_Fever
10-08-2006, 05:00 AM
If fishing is a religion then why dont we have any religous holidays in the middle of the week, sunday is already taken by the other mob. We definately need to have a day set a side for the practice of our beliefs. Wednesday would be a good day.

Kel [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

shayned
10-08-2006, 09:09 AM
If you made it later in the week, the 4th day becomes Thawsday, the day bait is taken from the freezer in preperation for a day of worship. The 5th day becomes Fryday as this is what you do to finish off your day of worship and if you've got any catholic friends it still fits in pretty well with them.

You beauty, got a bible and a day of worship (subject to weather conditions, of course), the paternoster prayer, all we need now is a titular head, some patron saints, tax free status and I believe
COD will be very pleased.

Jitlands
10-08-2006, 10:28 AM
Religion, as recorded in history, and currently being supported in Lebanaon, Iraq, Afganistan ECT is an excuse to wage WAR against others.

Fishing can not and should not be linked to religion and all the crap it has given and is still giving the world and its people

puks
10-08-2006, 10:30 AM
jitlands

but what if it is a religion that could change the image of religion and its bad reputation thru history???

id be all for that for sure

anya

agnes_jack
10-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Put it this way.......If they don't have fishing in heaven.....I'm buggered if I'm going!!

Ahmen!!!

Smailesy
10-08-2006, 10:55 AM
I worship Latis a celtic goddess of water and beer.It seemed to suit LOL.

;D i like it

HarryO
10-08-2006, 05:37 PM
Hmmmmmmm...

If I use several different methods to catch fish,

Does that make me a " Method'ist ?"

Harry

revs57
10-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Nah Harry, just one of the many brethren ;D ;D ;D ;D

Kayak1
10-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Peter, Andrew, James and John, all top pro fishos, spent all night fishing for ZILCH.
Jesus went with them on a free charter the next day, before they had any sleep and suggested they put down their nets....the result BAG LIMITS ALL ROUND.
These days St. Lowrance and St. Garmin have taken a lot of the guess work out of it.

Definately a religion...RELIGAE = TO BIND. If kept in moderation can be very spiritual as well though.

Cheers,
Steve.

Lobster48
10-08-2006, 09:51 PM
Nah, fishing doesn't cost as much as todays religions!

LOL

phatty
10-08-2006, 10:34 PM
amen....

robyoung1
11-08-2006, 10:03 PM
"I believe in Cod"; gotta like that one.

I think you all miss the point here but. As a religion, the boat would be neccissay to our devotion. Tax exemption and a few other perks, and we could all be leasing the lastest boats each year for bugger all...

rob

shaman
12-08-2006, 04:49 PM
If we made fishing a religion you would have all the tree huggers claiming that the fish are being persecuted by a religious order.
We could always start up the New Crusades and round up the whinging majority of imbecilic eco-nazis and feed 'em to the lions ;D ;D

saphire
12-08-2006, 05:25 PM
When getting out my fishing rods and embarking on a boating adventure. I pray to the sea gods all of them. Posidon, Neptune, Hughy for a safe trip and a high yield.
I look at being on the water as a spiritual thing. Does that mean I see it as a religion? Well I dont know.
saphire.

Bundy_Burp
12-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Well fishing had better be a religion because if it isnt the deckie is right I am as mad as a hatter been praying the gods to help me with fishing for years now I'd hate to think it was all a waste of time .

Bundy 8-)

Murks
13-08-2006, 11:42 PM
if it is don't tell osama about it, he may target mud island ;D

Lone_Wolf
14-08-2006, 08:19 AM
I think my skipper is very religous. Yesterday whilst crossing the 'Pin bar at low tide, he glanced down at the sounder which read 1.5 metres of water and he screamed, "Jesus Christ, get me out of here!!!" ;) #

HarryO
15-08-2006, 04:13 PM
[quote / Murks / "if it is don't tell osama about it, he may target mud island" /quote]

Murks....

SSHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! :-X :-X :-X :-X

September 11 is just 'round the corner ! :o

Murks
17-08-2006, 04:53 PM
:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

major-defect
19-08-2006, 02:15 AM
Well! You know what we've all got to do next cenus don't you?We should all put down fishing as our religion,enough of us do it and it will be a religion.Then they can't stop us doing it because it would be religous percecution.Sorted.

chrisfish
19-08-2006, 07:34 PM
I don't care for organised religions since the people promoting them seem so full of crap so I say no, fishing is not a religion. But is it a life affirming experience to go fishing before sunrise and be on the water at first light, with the salt air and promise of a new day on a beautiful planet? Hell yeah!!

chrisfish
19-08-2006, 07:37 PM
and I reckon that's why Jesus liked to hang out with the fishermen!!!!

stevedemon
19-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Hi all

I don't care for organised religions since the people promoting them seem so full of crap so I say no, fishing is not a religion. But is it a life affirming experience to go fishing before sunrise and be on the water at first light, with the salt air and promise of a new day on a beautiful planet? Hell yeah!!

well Chrisfish religions are always full of crap but if you look at fisho's we have a tendency to also stretch the truth it was this biggggggggggg and we only wage war on fish and jet ski's

as for someone in previous post has stated that only on sunday's well guy's bad luck because a lot of religions are any time they wish to walk in kneel down or absolution

Me all my absolution is done on the water where the wife and kids can not here me and many time have been over the side to wet the head, body and all

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

Hornblower
22-08-2006, 09:55 PM
I think it might be, heaven knows I use the good lords name enough when I go fishing, unfortunately it is usually in vain. :-? :-? :-? :-?

maxwellson
23-08-2006, 06:47 PM
ive just now looked at this thread, im having trouble writing, its a crack up ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D best yet !!!

maxwellson
23-08-2006, 06:49 PM
soft plastics handed out instead of the communion tucker would be good !!!!

petelaska
23-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Most fishos drop in at the church of the 4 crosses (XXXX) to pick up the holy brew and partake at sunup on the water, as it has been done for generations.
Ahhh The world is at peace.

revs57
23-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Like I said blokes....communion!!!

Sportfish_5
23-08-2006, 09:27 PM
8-)