PDA

View Full Version : VMR.....Great people

squidly
20-08-2006, 05:55 PM
Hi everyone, this is my first post here, ive been on Ausfish for about 2 weeks but havent realy had anything to say till now.
Ventured out to Peel island today 4 some 'RnR', wheather was great, no wind, excellent.
Till it was time to come home and the outboard wont start >:( After an hour of trying i called Victoria point VMR. These guys do an amasing job, they are only too willing to help. They called me three times to make sure we were okas it was taking longer to get to me than expected. After we were towed back they even helped put the boat on the trailer. Thanks guys ;)

Lucky_Phill
20-08-2006, 08:02 PM
That is what the VMR are for. Now, are you an associate member of the VMR ?

Also, these people are always short on funds to keep up this good work. If you see them at the local shopping centre selling raffle tickets, buy some ( many ) as the money goes into training, equipment etc, that has gone into you having a safe weekend.

Bit of a bugga for your first report, but hey, it's a good story and there is enough ' bad ' stuff on the other medias, so always good to hear about this.

Welcome, and better luck next time.

Cheers Phill

squidly
20-08-2006, 08:16 PM
Thanks for your reply Phill, i wasnt a member but i am now. 8-)
They had there small boat on the water and they had to go get there BIG boat to tow me in, thats why they took longer than expected.

Anyway it was all good.

A bad day on the water is better than a good day at wook.

Cheers Steve.

-spiro-
20-08-2006, 09:05 PM
what they charge you Steve?

Louis
21-08-2006, 04:30 PM
The Vmr and the CoastGuard provide a great service.

I take my hat off to them.

Louis

squidly
21-08-2006, 07:17 PM
VMR said it was 45minutes from when they left the ramp till when they towed me in.

They said $75, i said no worries.
I told them i would pay the $50 join up fee next time im down there, they said join up now and its only $25
for the tow in.

So i saved myself $50 and joined up..... :)

Jim_Byrne
21-08-2006, 07:43 PM
Good to hear you joined Squidly, although touch wood you don't have to call upon their services again. Its garuanteed money well spent!

Good luck

Jim

SgBFish
22-08-2006, 01:00 PM
The fact that the VMR is not fully Government funded is a discrace.

Membership cost should be automatically added to your regristration fees each year. That way volunteers of the VMR are not waisting their time selling raffle tickets to provide a lifesaving service. This would then allow a paid workforce to be employed and 24/7 coverage like the emergency services.

It would allow each boat owner to have a mobile number and their relevent contact details at hand on a Statewide database in case of emergency.

This isn't rocket science!! Nobody can say they will never need to be rescued and fulfills the requirement of user pays as thsoe who do not own boats aren't charged.
Cheers,
Scott

davez104
22-08-2006, 01:25 PM
What he said!

Agree with you 100% Scott, although there will be a small number of people who never venture near the coast and would probably disagree with us.

Dave.

seafarer3
22-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Yeh hi guys,

Good on ya for that thought Scott, great idear...
As for your comment "the VMR is'nt fully funded"
I'll might just have to correct you there..
They are not funded by the government....VMR get grant's that they have to justerfy why they need the money...eg motors,boats,pontoons....etc
Then they will give a percentage...eg 1 x boat = $200,000.00
The council gave $15,000.00 TOWARDS IT.
The rest was collected from raffels & fund raising by the Active Members....
Every Week.

Cheers
Scott

moreton
24-08-2006, 08:02 PM
Thanks Squidly for a great positive post. Being able to help is what the volunteers are all about. I am especially greatful for every ones comments as I am a active member of Vicky Point....thanks
Thight Lines, Moreton

Tairua
25-08-2006, 04:57 PM
Gidday Squidley,
As my mate Moreton said Thanks for a great Positve post. You will be surprised how much this sort of Public thank you is appreciated by all Active VMR members who give up a full weekend once a month to assist boaties in trouble. The upside to being an Active Member is the great friends you make and the training courses you are given that make you an aware and safer boatie. Engine failure is of course a given at some stage when it comes to boating so no pride lost there. Squidley - Have thought about joining as an Active Member. Check out www.vmr.org.au. Tairua

Got_the_Fever
25-08-2006, 05:58 PM
Welcome aboard squidly good first post. I joined Redcliffe the day I bought my boat, it was part of the purchase price if I wanted it. For $50 a year it is money well spent. Those guys and girls do a fantastic job and deserve a lot more credit than they get. As for the idea about adding it onto boat registration, it is a great one. We should all support a great team who put their lives at risk to save our backsides.

Kel

squidly
25-08-2006, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the replys fellas.
I think the $50 membership added to boat rego is a
great idea.
Unfortunately being an active member is out of
the question at the moment.
Im currently Vice President of the North Brisbane Suzuki 4x4 club and President of the FORD v HOLDEN
speedway club. ;)

Hornblower
25-08-2006, 09:20 PM
I must admit, I have never thought of joining and I have been lucky enough not to need their services, but I always feel safe out there knowing there is help if you need it. I'll write to them with a $50 money order next pay day. This is a great post and I thank you all for passing on your thoughts to people like me. I hope more people have the same idea.

Cheers ;) ;) ;) ;)