And all that has been gone before
By men who know not what I know
of wonderment and nature's glow
I love my boat she's good to me
But more than this, I plainly see
It wasn't her that gave to me
It was Australia, don't you see?

kev

If a small thing has the power to make you angry, does that not indicate something about your size? (Sydney J. Harris)

jim_farrell
11-08-2006, 05:30 PM
Nice way to end the week kev.
After reading that I will grab a beer and not watch the news.
Jim

-spiro-
11-08-2006, 05:35 PM
nice Kev but it took me a couple of cans to read it ;D

Hookem_Herby
11-08-2006, 05:48 PM
No wonder you can't fish Kev .... your talents lie elsewhere mate! ;D :P :-X
Very nice piece of poetic prose ... thanks for sharing (oh, and I agree as a fellow migrant!). ;)

Cheers,
Herby

puks
11-08-2006, 06:39 PM
kev
that is beautiful
i think sometimes we 'migrants' can appreciate the simple things just a lil bit more then those who have lived in this beautiful country all their life

dont get me wrong aussis i love you as a people your sense of humour the laid back attitude and that status symbols dont matter and the tolerance

but there is a sense of complacency with some ppl ive met down here
they dont smell the frangiapani and the honey dew in the mornings
they dont smile when they hear the kookabara laughing in the mornings
(the list goes on)

so i think we 'migrants' are doubly blessed
once for living here
and once for still seeing things new

sorry am a lil sentimental dont hit me

have a good one everyone am off to the ekka to see little birdy with some friends
anya

fieldy
11-08-2006, 06:53 PM
awsome mate

mickey7
11-08-2006, 07:03 PM
Kev,I reakon that should be the Ausfish anthem if not the nation's anthem-I've enjoyed reading your prose thanks.
cheers mickey.

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
11-08-2006, 09:38 PM
I'm not a migrant Kev, I was born and bred here as were my parents. I'm bloody lucky and I know it, but it still is good to be reminded of just how good we all have it in this beautiful country.

I tips me lid to you on your emotional expression of love for your adopted country. You are welcome at my home any day, and I look forward to one day meeting you, your beautiful deckie, and your kids. We are all brothers with fishing arms!

Cheers
Dave

el_carpo
11-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Very nice.

There've been quite a few good poems popping up lately. Fishing must be conducive to good art.

Thanks Kingtin.

stevedemon
11-08-2006, 10:36 PM
Hi kev
love the poem just keepem comin
an hope that we can still be fishin
in the years to come
but pollies 1 an 2
are tryin hard to
stop this lovely country of ours
from enjoyment and contentment
of the fishin we feel
of looking glass in the sea so wide
with the cool breeze by our side
looking through the wind and rain
lookin at the sunset upon the horizon
as far as can see
these bloody pollies will never see
to see the birds upon the open sea
ducking and driving for a feed
while we sit and think of the fishin
out in the sea
these bloody pollies will never see
just what wonders are on the the sea
little know what is under the sea
for they sit at there desk with heads in the clouds
instead of sittting by the sea to see what
wonders that we can see by the sea
the rivers run the creeks will flow
no matter where we are
we are by the sea
those bloody pollies will never see

sorry guys just some thing i put together to have a shot at the pollies
kev really like your poem just goes to show that fisho's have a heart to go with feelings and we see things in a different light with opens eyes

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

lock
11-08-2006, 11:44 PM
Hey puks trust me after being up in Ireland for a winter and travelling around the place I appreciate australia alot more. Dont get me wrong though I am loving what I am seeing up here and in the uk.

Nice poem kev.

Bundy_Burp
11-08-2006, 11:55 PM
Excellent poem kingtin keep them coming

Bundy 8-)

griz066
12-08-2006, 08:18 AM
:'(

ttone
12-08-2006, 08:33 AM
Way to go Kingtin, I'm very proud to have imigrants like YOU, who really appreciate this wonderful land of OZ
Cheers ttone

puks
12-08-2006, 09:57 AM
loch i so know what you mean

nowadays when i go back to see my folks i see things in the old country that i havent realised before
tho i wouldnt want to live there anymore but thats a different story

i love ireland tho
i never intended to move to the great southern land always imagined myself in ireland or holland :)

but now im here i think i gonna stay :D

regards anya

shaman
12-08-2006, 05:32 PM
From the heart kingtin..............
As a young fella I sold a Hungarian bloke (Big Joe) a car, just a cheapie but he treated it like a roller, he couldn't thank me enough. It had no warranty attached but he would come to ask my advice about repairs etc and was the loveliest bloke I'd met in years (big as a bear too with this huge voice). One day I walked into the pub across from the caryard I worked at to get a counterlunch and as per usual Big Joe was in there having a beer with his team of concretors and as usual he called to me to have a "schooner ov Resch's Bill, come come haf bier wit Old Joe".
Anyway, this day, he asked me how much tax I pay and i said too much, to which he again asked me how much? I told him the amount and it was plenty as in those days we earned a lot selling cars and he clapped me on the back with his huge bearlike hands and said "Dat is good Bill, I am sure you are happy to be able to pay dis much!!" and i said you must be joking I hate paying taxes. He then said that the country he came from you had to line up for all food, toilet paper, wood or coal for the fire and only if there was any and if you weren't quick you missed out and either starved or froze. He was sending money home to his mother for medication as there was no medical assistance and without her medication she would be left to die. He was probably in his mid-late fifties and had never owned a car till then as you had to be govt. or similar. He then said to the agreement of all his mates (all hungarian) that he was proud to pay his govt. and his country as much tax as he possibly could for the privilige of belonging to such a beautiful, free country and had apparently tried to pay more tax than he owed but they kept refunding him..........He couldn't understand why they wouldn't let him pay more money to Australia.
Since then every tax time I don't whinge or bitch, I truly have a better look at where I live and the people around me and i remember Big Joe's words..........................................Bil ly :)

madmix
12-08-2006, 08:07 PM
The boy stood on the bur,

Nah cant compete with that

between kingtin and chimo we will be able to float the ark.

Cheers Mick

saphire
13-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Kev that is absolutely beautiful.
It says it all.
When reading that poem I could actually see the bay.
Cheers,
saphire.

charleville
13-08-2006, 05:50 PM
That's great, Kev! #:) #Very well done! # :)

I like being a Queenslander even more. # ;) # Certainly Brisbane is a much nicer place than Sydney with its aggression and hustle and bustle in every sense of those words, and Melbourne with its insular parochialness and horrible weather. (Fancy having to lay up a boat in winter #- Dammit! #Winter is our best time of year for fishing! # ;D # )

"Dat is good Bill, I am sure you are happy to be able to pay dis much!!" and i said you must be joking I hate paying taxes.

Personally, I would love to be paying $1M per year in tax. # ;D ;D ;D

nigelr
15-08-2006, 04:36 PM
Sorry to get on this one so late but had to commend you Kingtin for your thoughtful verses!
Being a Pommy migrant, albeit since '62, I have to say I couldn't agree more with your sentiments, particularly the ending.
Sure there are some lovely people and places in the UK, but I wouldn't swap. Apart from a wonderful place to live, Aus has given me a wife and family, a heritage to be proud of, and a lifestyle second to none on earth.
Thank you Aus! :)

JasonT
17-08-2006, 03:04 PM
Nice poem kingtin!
I think those born outside of australia who move here later on are probably better positioned to appreciate this country of ours. As a kid when i worked in a "foodstore" I remember when starting work thinking that I could never possibly remember where everything was...Ie which aisle etc....
After a few months, not only could I locate anything in the store on request, but i began to notice I had a developing case of "shop blindness" caused by my familiarity with the shop. This blindness visits us all. How many times have you been looking for something only to find it in a place you had prevoiusly searched?
I feel that people who choose to live in Australia rather than being born here tend to really "see" Australia. People like me who were born here no longer "see" it the same way someone new to it does. simply because of familiarity. We're blind to alot of it, both good and bad.

Kev and Anya - I love this country, as I can see you do. I'd just like to say thanks for reminding me!

I'd like to encourage everyone to find some love and pride for our country. After all, it is one of the best places on this planet!

JasonT

fartfish
17-08-2006, 03:22 PM
"Money on the fridge wog!"

-Ted Bullpit

puks
17-08-2006, 07:55 PM
jasonT that is a wonderful post

and i do know what you mean

i tip my hat to you
anya

PS @fartfish the Mexican?Your not taking the Mexican i just used him for bait (GOT yelled this on in my ear just then )

manchild
18-08-2006, 07:54 PM
Thanks Kev ,you spoke of my heart :)
Iwish i as good with words as you ,thats a rare gift.
Fartfish im not sure what you meant ,and i dont think i wanna know.
George

puks
18-08-2006, 08:21 PM
manchild since he wont be able to respond due t being banned
he meant the "wogs"here or those herer that havent been bred and born in australia but migrated
forgive him for trying to be funny he has alot to learn :)

regards
anya

manchild
18-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Yes he has ,by the look of it
George

bidkev
20-08-2006, 05:23 PM
I've been offline for a week so haven't had much time to catch up.

Thank you for all your wonderful responses and thoughts on migration and this beautiful country. My life hasn't been an easy one but I know that later on I can look back and remember, and give thanks that it culminated in me spending my later years in a most wonderful country, populated by the finest people on earth, and enriched with a spirit of mateship that I had never before experienced.

Thank you Oz, and thank you Australians.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Oh! And thank you little fishies for giving me so much pleasure ;D

kev

puks
20-08-2006, 05:48 PM
hey kev
glad you are back was about to open ein where is kingtin thread

hope you are well

regards
anya

bidkev
20-08-2006, 07:00 PM
hey kev
glad you are back was about to open ein where is kingtin thread

hope you are well

regards
anya

Thanks anya. Yeah, I'm well..........just got a bit busy with fostering business and preparing for my next fishing exped.

kev

If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, maybe yours needs a little more
tending.

Braddles
26-08-2006, 09:43 PM
What a beautiful, moving poem Kev! You have an amazing gift there in writing poetry!

I think Australia is a better place having the positive multiculturalism that migrants like you and your family bring to our shores.

You should post some more mate!

I am Aussie born and bred and proud of it - but your poem made me think of a Lady I met at work recently... I wont mention her name, but I work in a large hospital in Brisbane and generally the nurses and docs dont have time to speak to the cleaning staff - I am not sure if it is the "culture of the place" or what - but different professions tend to associate togehter etc.. Anyway, I always noticed this one cleaner to take her time, and always do an extra good job - the place would be spotless and she would go home later than all the other cleaners. She would always smile and I would wave - but that was it...

One day I commented what a great job she was doing to her, and in her broken accent she thanked me so genuinely for noticing, and began telling me how greatful she was to have a job and how much it meant to her. Turns out she was a former refugee from Serbia and told me the story of coming to Australia with nothing but the clothes on her back and the memories of war, poverty, hunger and family tragedy from her home land... I was in my 11th hour of a shift and feeling sorry for myself - but I think this post / your words hit the nail on the head - we should be so greatful that we DO have employement and fair pay for a fair days work, and everything this country has to offer.

This lady was given a furnished house to live in, clothes to wear, food vouchers and even toys for her children to play with... and her aim in life?? To one day pay the money back to the Australian people for helping her out.... My brief encounter with this woman and the story she told chocked me up... and changed my outlook on immigrants and refugees for ever.

Thanks again for sharing your poetry

Take care,

Brad.

bidkev
26-08-2006, 10:28 PM
<snip>
Thanks again for sharing your poetry

Take care,

Brad.

And thank you Brad, for taking the time to respond in such a moving way.

There is so much negativity nowadays with regards to multiculturealism and, despite some of our fears in this respect being well founded, I think it bodes us all well to occasionally take a step back, draw a deep breath, and consider just how lucky we are and question ourselves as to why we shouldn't share a bit of that "luck' with those less fortunate than ourselves.

Like you, I have had occasion to encounter those who, despite their cultural difference, are truly grateful for all that this country has to offer, and would gladly repay their new found fortune ten fold if they had the means or the wherewithal.

Let not the flouting of our laws such as the taking of undersize fish by certain ethnic group(s) or the rejection of our (Australian) values and standards by a minority, influence our ideals, cloud our judgement, or otherwise detract from the fact, that this is a truly tolerant society which values the better influences that cultural diversity brings.

kev

Got_the_Fever
27-08-2006, 05:17 AM
Kev I dont know how I missed reading your poem until now. Beautiful mate, you brought to life what we seem to miss every day. We have seen it so many times that it becomes second nature. I am very lucky, when Anya first came over here her eyes lite up with every new experience and sight. For the last 6 years I have been looking through her eyes and truly seeing our beautiful country.

Part of the reason I go out fishing is just to sit on the water and enjoy what I have not really looked at since I was a kid, and I have a fresh pair of eyes to see it all with. We do have a beautiful country and we are all very lucky to live here.

Thanks for sharing mate.

Kel

MyEscape
27-08-2006, 06:02 AM
Kev,

For myself I'm aussie born and bred. My wife is from South Africa and when I spent a couple of months over there a few years ago I was blown away with the difference between our countries and what we take for granted.

We have such freedom in Australia, we have space and no boundaries. Our country is the whole of the continent, we have charities and groups and also a government sysem that assists people who cannot support themselves. Like the lady mentioned who was from Serbia, there is no assistance to the hungry, the ill or the fallen.

I think a lot of people should travel to other countries and really see what it's like to live outside of Australia.

I could go on, but I what I can say is how much I appreciate what we have in Australia, and yes I do support others migrating to Australia, as long as they share what we have and assimilate with us and rather than bring their world to us with their problems, share our country with them and the freedom that we have.

Steve

Poodroo
27-08-2006, 07:34 AM
Having been born in this country it sometimes takes a migrant to open our eyes and see how lucky we are in this country to live in it and have what we have. Often I see people taking it for granted. It was heart breaking this year to have gone to Fraser Island and see the amount of litter on the beach that wasn't there last year and this is probably the most beautiful place I have visited in this country. Wake up Australia, we need to keep this country beautiful for following generations to appreciate. Fishing at Southport yesterday with the kids we caught plastic bags and clumps of wet newspaper. Not good. Must be more than a few bad apples in the bunch.
Great bit of poetry Kev. Hope it didn't take too long to do that poem. Just thinking of how many fish could have been caught in that time. ;)

Poodroo

bidkev
27-08-2006, 07:57 AM
<snip>
Great bit of poetry Kev. Hope it didn't take too long to do that poem. Just thinking of how many fish could have been caught in that time. ;)

Poodroo

;D No mate, it just came to me whilst I was thinking how lucky I am........took about 10 minutes all up and believe it or not, I've never written a poem before (that I can remember).......that kinda thing's for softies ;) ;D

kev

bidkev
27-08-2006, 08:04 AM
Kev I dont know how I missed reading your poem until now. Beautiful mate, you brought to life what we seem to miss every day. We have seen it so many times that it becomes second nature. I am very lucky, when Anya first came over here her eyes lite up with every new experience and sight. For the last 6 years I have been looking through her eyes and truly seeing our beautiful country.

Part of the reason I go out fishing is just to sit on the water and enjoy what I have not really looked at since I was a kid, and I have a fresh pair of eyes to see it all with. We do have a beautiful country and we are all very lucky to live here.

Thanks for sharing mate.

Kel

That's a timely reminder for me Kel, thanks. I think that trying to look through an other person's eyes can give us a better understanding of each other and the world around us. Was a time when I was bored or complacent that I used to practice that to put "new light through old windows" but I seem to have gotten out of the habit of late.............makes for a grumpy old fart when the kids are trying to draw my attention to something that they are excited about whilst I am wrapped up in something else ;D

kev

bidkev
27-08-2006, 08:16 AM
Steve, when I worked in the printing business we had a new employee who was from S.Africa.....he was only 23 but seemed very wise. He worked like a trojan and was a really likeable bloke. We got talking one smoko and he related how his small business had been burned to the ground and when he decided to bale out of there, all his assets had been frozen and he literally had to start from scratch when he migrated to the UK. He said that he had been given a 2nd chance at life and that he would live his life as if that was literally the case.

Although he had been raised in a family that supported apartheid, there was no sense of bitterness or recrimination towards the blacks for the loss of his previous life, he simply put it behind him and marvelled and gave thanks for the chance to start anew. He was 20 yrs my junior but he taught me plenty.

kev