PDA

View Full Version : Where can you fish?

Sean
27-08-2006, 10:52 PM
After forever hearing di######S in fancy boats telling me 'you aren't allowed to fish here' Around there boats in docks, it prompts me to ask, Where aren't you allowed to fish and how can you know?
I am talking mainly in reference to lure casting around marinas. The big marina in sactuary cove for example. I just know I would be told 'I am not allowed to fish here' I would love to say...ahh.......how about you get stuffed!! Thank-you, Sean :)

flatstrap
27-08-2006, 11:28 PM
Hi Sean,
Just so you're aware why boaties get upset about people fishing off jetties, pontoons and marinas. These structures are built for boats docking and people accessing land based amenities as a first function. In my experience, I'm sure people are unaware of this and most often are indignant when a boat comes alongside and dock. I get filthy looks and most fishing folk don't even wind in their lines or gather their numerous rods, gaffs, buckets frim the steps and walkways.
Bottom line is, if you're fishing off such structures, vessels docking have a priority and allow them to use the facilities as they were intended. No future in rudeness from either party.
flatstrap

bidkev
28-08-2006, 12:01 AM
There's a big sign at deepwater bend saying "no fishing from this pontoon" On every occasion that I have launched there some dipstick has been fishing from the pontoon ::) last two trips, I came in slow........gave 'em time to wind in, yet I still ended up unwinding their bloody tackle from my prop! They somwehow thought that I could miraculously avoid their lines that I couldn't even see.

They aren't even fishing on the bottom for C****** sake! They have the tiniest little weights at the fastest running part of the river system....their bait is sitting on the surface and they wonder why they catch nothing and they end up wrapped round your prop!

I'm all for patience and spreading a bit of knowledge and understanding but I wonder sometimes what these guys are smoking? ::) Simple common sense eludes them, but then again, if cash convertors offered 'em a better deal for their(?) gear, I wonder if they would be there at all?

kev

Sean
28-08-2006, 12:06 AM
I am talking about from a boat, I fish from a punt with an electric around the boat harbours. Sean :)

PinHead
28-08-2006, 02:37 AM
Most, if not all, marinas are privately owned and do not allow any fishng in them.

finga64
28-08-2006, 06:45 AM
I hear you flatstrap and Kev #:'(
Don't know how many rigs I've pulled up from the dock at the ramp at Evans Head. Lucky it's always on the way in and I can check the prop pronto at home.
Worst thing is most of the real young kids reel in and once the kid turns 15 they don't. Don't know why that is??:-? If they reel in they get our left over bait anyways so is that natural selection at work??

Amasing how many 'oldies' (over 20) get up me for coming over their lines and cutting them off (after coming in under 4 Kts) until I point them to the sign they walked past and point out that they're on a boat ramp.

Yeah Sean, better to check who owns the waterway first before going off. There should be a sign on the way in somewhere unless it's rusted off. I'd say they were more worried about thieves casing the place out more so then some honest guy fishing around the flash boats.

Cheers Scott

Jitlands
28-08-2006, 07:03 AM
With the ever increasing numbers of people wanting to bounce jig heads of moored boats in the search for bream around the Gold Coast restrictions and feuds are only going to increase.

Jeremy
28-08-2006, 07:47 AM
Sean,

my opinion, marinas own the land and the structures (marine/pontoons) NOT the water. Anyone telling you to leave, give them a smile and a wave and keep fishing. Even if the security comes along, they do not have the right to force you to leave. Ask to see proof that they own the water. The only people who can force you to leave are the police.

Jeremy

Jeremy
28-08-2006, 07:48 AM
by the way, keep a digital camera handy in case you need to record some evidence. Security are not allowed to force you to leave.

Jeremy

Sean
28-08-2006, 08:29 AM
I have to say I agree with you jeremy....but what is the actual law? who is the waterways authority in QLD? Sean :)

flatstrap
28-08-2006, 10:52 AM
Hi Sean,
Sorry but I misunderstood your scenario. I thought you were fishing from the dock. I apologise for my misunderstanding.

The other point of course is that around marinas and moorings, there is an ongoing problem with theft and vandalism, I'm not saying you're one but imagine the scene in your street where an unfamiliar car is cruising around for a while. You would get edgy, wouldn't you?

The same rules apply, nobody owns the street but people do get protective with people apparently loitering in the area, Unfortunately, in these modern times, everybody gets labelled the same when in an unfamiliar setting where relatively vulnerable property worth millions is exposed.

Ahhh...sign of the times...

Hornblower
28-08-2006, 11:04 AM
G'day fellow ausfishers,

The last I knew was that you couldn't tresspass on any land below the high water mark, but this may have changed with the stroke of a pen. Look at the wharves at Fishermen's Island. I suppose the experts would be the Local Water Police, they would be more then happy to tell you.

Problem is thieving and terrorism etc, the few D$#@heads out there who have stuffed it up for all of us.

It gets ridulous though when the rich can "own" a waterway.

Cheers ;) ;)

Hornblower
28-08-2006, 11:05 AM
PS. to my last post, I forgot that structures can be owned such as jetties etc, so tresspass provisions can apply to them, providing they come from private land - they also don't need signs from private land.

Cheers ;) ;)

Sean
28-08-2006, 01:48 PM
TRhats alright flatstrap, I have wound a guys brand new spool of what looked to be around 100 pound braid around my prop....I guess I was the unstoppable he thought he might get in 10 feet of water in sydney in the middle of the day!! And to think at the time i felt a bit bad....he should have wound in I guess :)

Louis
28-08-2006, 03:20 PM
G'day Sean,

Your best bet in my opinion would be to ring the Water Police and ask them about what legislation applys to the areas you wish to fish.

Louis

dyso24
28-08-2006, 03:56 PM
how r we all im just trying to find out where i can buy one of those new environets there very hard to find so if someone could tell me a shop in melbourne that would be good cheers ;)