PDA

View Full Version : citrus on your hands  

treksmurf
24-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Hi guys is it true or an old wives tale that if you go out fishing and eat an orange that the citrus on your hands when you rig up will deter fish ? just curious thats all

Treksmurf

el_carpo
25-08-2006, 06:19 AM
Hi Treksmurf,

I'm not sure about all types of fish but I know for a fact that carp and goldfish are crazy about oranges. I first learned this at a pet shop. The girl working there was feeding pieces of oranges to the goldfish and I asked why. She told me that koi (carp) and goldfish keepers have been doing that for years as it gives the fish vitamin C. I gave it to my fish at home and they ate it too. Watermelon works as well.

I don't know how other fish react though. It may be that the citrus smell repels them but I doubt it. I usually pack an apple or an orange for lunch when I go fishing and have never noticed a difference.

Sorry I can't give a more definitive answer.

EC

finga64
25-08-2006, 09:16 AM
call me crazy but I take some pure aniseed oil to 'destink' my hands with before I rig up or bait up just to get rid of the stinkies that may put fish off whether it be citrus or fuel or whatever.
I need all the help I can get where catching fish is concerned :-[

capt
25-08-2006, 01:04 PM
Hi there TREKSMURF . There's definitely some truth in the citrus theme , and it goes like this ........ My girl is a chef . She hates the smell of fish on her hands and especially mine . After a big day of my grovelling in the blood and the guts, the chances of quick slap and tickle are definitely out of the question! So I reach in the cupboard , grab the squeeze bottle of lemon juice, squirt some on the hands ,a quick rub, under the tap and I'm ready to party! The Citrus works evey time AFTER fishing . CHEERS JIMMY

jim_bream
25-08-2006, 05:38 PM
Deep Heat works too, makes the old girl jump around in the sack tho...
;D

treksmurf
25-08-2006, 05:51 PM
Thanks guys , I,m probably just looking for an exscuse when i dont catch a fish on me boat and the other guys do , so i allways blame oranges or the fact that i had to fuel and prepare the boat prior to the trip the boys believe me so far i think ???? or maybe they are just being polite haha , i was hoping for some concrete facts that i could baffle the boys with [other than being a crap fisherman ] lol

Treksmurf

StevenM
25-08-2006, 06:54 PM
Yep

dont like using or eating any citrus fruits myself out on the boat

Think fish definetly know and makes a difference

finga64
25-08-2006, 07:40 PM
petrol and oil smells on the pinkies definitely turns the fish off. :'(

treksmurf
25-08-2006, 09:11 PM
I think i need a signed affidavit that i can attach to myself [reversable of course in case of a good day ] that says members of ausfish agree that citrus and petrol stink affect my fishing prowess . any takers haha i will supply my own printing ink at this end lol

treksmurf

Hornblower
25-08-2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'll try the lemon juice trick tonight after the footy ;) ;) ;)

ShaneJ
25-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'll try the lemon juice trick tonight after the footy ;) ;) ;)
...what bad smell do you have on your hands after watching the footy?? :-? :-X

Hornblower
25-08-2006, 09:26 PM
Depends whose winning I suppose!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

treksmurf
25-08-2006, 09:45 PM
rabbit poo ;D

Bundy_Burp
25-08-2006, 11:08 PM
Not the rabbit poo thats really hard to get rid of ;D

Bundy 8-)

blaze
25-08-2006, 11:36 PM
DOPE, couple of local guys always seem to have a few and they catch more local snapper than any one else, go figger.
I have been up to my elbows in oil and grease and gone for a quick fish and caught fish.
dont tend to wash the hands to much when fishing, rinse the guts off to have a bite to eat, dont worry about sunscreen or the likes and I normally catch a feed.
cheers
blaze
ps
maybe I just smell like fish

Hornblower
27-08-2006, 11:01 PM
Blaze - WHAT!!! Wash the hands before you eat!!! In the words of Trevor Gilmeister, "Get up ya sook!!!" ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The_Sloth_man
28-08-2006, 05:10 PM
I don't know about all the sents on your hands, people tell me oil, fuel, sunscreen and other stuff deter fish

I saw a couple of guys spraying WD40 onto there bait, went over to talk to them and they said it has fish oil in it and helps.................

they cought more/bigger fish then me that day so i have no idea what to think about the matter