PDA

View Full Version : Award for Ausfish most valued member

troy
25-08-2006, 08:00 PM
Other sites have awards for there most valued member.
My vote goes to Blaze .
As he replies to anyone that needs help.
He always responds to members who need help and he never makes a smart or sarcastic comment.
I am willing to donate to who members decide.
Troy

finga64
25-08-2006, 08:10 PM
Personally Blaze and Grand Marlin have my vote . Thanks fellas for all the great reading, info and ideas. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
There are so many good contributors all for different reasons. I always love to read stories from Chopper and others, knowledge from Kingtin, laughs from Ahoj and the list goes on.
IMO no real best contributor but lots of good contributors in their own right and in their own way.
Thanks all [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Bit worried about Scalem though...taking somebody elses cook fishing [smiley=tongue.gif]

I've been away for a while and have missed the stories and drama's but now I have lots of reading to catch up on. :)
Cheers Scott

Poodroo
25-08-2006, 08:11 PM
Nice thought and I agree about Blaze being a top member however there are so many top members out there in my books. Bottom line is we are all fanatical people about a great hobby and we all share the same common interest so here is a pat on the back for all of you great Ausfish members out there. You all deserve an award. Happy fishing. ;)

Poodroo

lippa
25-08-2006, 08:18 PM
mate, there 20-30 blokes, like blaze. how could ya even cast a vote? too many good ones!!!! for every subject, banter, fishing knowledge. its easy to weed out the crap, but picking a number one? cant do it! great idea though!!

cheers

lippa

puks
25-08-2006, 08:37 PM
lippa i am with you on this one
tho i havent been here that long
everyone is great in their own right :)

fantastic idea tho
but unless you have different categories i dont think you find the most valued member

anya

troy
25-08-2006, 08:38 PM
I cannot give my vote to Cardinal Grand Marlin because he is obsessed with pussies.
Be alright if they were not boats.
Troy ;D ;D ;D

Hornblower
25-08-2006, 09:11 PM
Gotta go with Puks, like him, I haven't been here for too long, but I spend hours sitting on this site, cause ALL the members make it so bloody good. Everyone deserves a slap on the back.

Cheers ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

puks
25-08-2006, 09:18 PM
Gotta go with Puks, like him, I haven't been here for too long, but I spend hours sitting on this site, cause ALL the members make it so bloody good. #Everyone deserves a slap on the back.

Cheers ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

not that it matters but i am female ;)

thedeckie
25-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Geez,what a question!!! :) :)

Now,how does one answer that?????? :-/

I was introduced to Ausfish by a prominent member,with thanks,since that introduction I think i have learnt so much from so many and from M&G's met plenty of great people.

I think most of the members would find it hard to put there finger on just one person that stands out from the crowd.

You would have to say in general that the majority of members are sincere with there questions/answers and are willing to give up there knowledge.

I think for people like myself who have limited knowledge of fishing but as keen as hell to fish,I vote you all as valued members!!! :) :)

Beleive me i need all the help I can get!! ;D ;D

Cheers

Paul

PS: My vote goes to all 14249 members

gropeher
25-08-2006, 09:34 PM
All members who offer structured advice deserve the award,

Obviously some have more experience than others and continually offer advice, this is appreciated, however for all of us, this time should come where we offer some knowedge also!

Cheers Ryan.

Murks
25-08-2006, 09:58 PM
i too agree with thedeckie and the rest really, a great site with heaps of great people with incredible information, knowledge and support for which I am most grateful in reaping the rewards from shared experiences.. ;) ;) ;)
I just hope that there will be more frequent M&G in the Brissy Goldy area beit north or south, the last one I attended was great so my vote too goes to all 14249 members and counting 8-) 8-)

Brett

Got_the_Fever
25-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Everyone needs a pat on the back. It doesnt matter if they are platinum members or newbies. How could anyone boil down the posts and have a clear winner in any catagory. The knowledge everyone offers if freely given and usually with a lot more detail than is necessary. I have learnt so much since being a member here and hopefully I have imparted a little myself.

Having said that, if there was a catagory for story telling then I must say that charlieville and T1 would have to be finalists, I love reading their posts and I say they have helped me in writing more interesting posts regarding my limited fishing trips.

We all love our fishing and sharing of our experiences.

Kel

SeaSaw
25-08-2006, 10:55 PM
All this political correctness is sickening .... its gotta be you Troy .... YOU ;D ;D

You bought us the NQ 2 foot chop ;D

Herm
25-08-2006, 10:59 PM
I totally agree with you Kel - I could not pick a "Most" valued member! And not really sure why you would want to! :-/

I love reading what everyone is up to and learning form everyones experiences - good or bad! :)

We have met, in person, some great people including TOL, Webby, Jeremy, PinHead, and ever so briefly, Blackened and Redspeckle and of course Scalem - who helped me catch my fish squire! If I had of waited for Pete to put on to the spot - I would still be waiting!! ;) ;) ;) (and have conversed with (typed to ;) many others)

Bit worried about Scalem though...taking somebody elses cook fishing #[smiley=tongue.gif]

No need to worry about Scalem! a perfect gentleman and a great bloke! :) (and fishing tutor) :D

Cheers
:)Janine

Bundy_Burp
25-08-2006, 11:05 PM
There are just too many choices to pick from but with all the pats on the back in this thread I think some people may need a chiropractor before too long. ::)

Bundy 8-)

maztez
25-08-2006, 11:28 PM
Well said by all however I would put Steve as no1 for having the foresight to create AUSFISH and bringing so many diverse and interesting characters to the fore .The knowledge shared by all is invaluable and the comradiery of this awesome sight is second to none ...GOOD ON YOU STEVE and thanks
cheers Terry

blaze
25-08-2006, 11:31 PM
Had this thought sometime back that we could make this a monthly award
NO PRIZES, just the honour
I have had some communications with Ausfish (steve) and sent an email off to the family of a past member who I believed should have there merrory honered.
At this point I am waiting for further communications on this
will see where it goes.
Thanks for the people who have suggest me as a valued member, at the end of the day it can never be one member or 20 members, its the value of the website on a whole that makes it like it is. you just keep comong back for a fix
cheers
blaze

BrandonH
25-08-2006, 11:52 PM
here here Blaze!! it is a fix :D Something about chatting about fishing with fellow fishers I think ::)

Most of us have given something for someone at some stage on this site!!!

Monthly award (not prize just "honour") would be fun but might get a little tricky or problematic with some maybe going overboard for the "honour"??? maybe not but it was something i thought of as soon as i read the post. Maybe its just a stupid thought on my behalf because its late, i'm tired and i should be in bed!!! Lol ;D ;D

I do like the idea of remembering a past member if the family is ok with it though!!!! Thats such a nice thing to do for someone some of the forum group knew.

I think you need to be honoured first Blaze for the idea of remembering old friends ;)

It will be interesting to see what Ausfish have to say about the idea. has anything like this been attempted before??

Cheers
Brandon...

troy
26-08-2006, 06:11 AM
Herm,
The reason is simple if a member deserves a award for all over contributions to this site then why not acknowledge it.
Agree with what everyone has said and there are plenty you could pick from.
The reason i chose Blaze is because i value him in all sections of Ausfish and as i stated from the start he will always go out of his way to help members and never offends anyone like i do.
Just a though mate and i hoped i have not offended any member on this site because i have picked Blaze.
All of you are very important.
Troy

theoldlegend
26-08-2006, 08:27 AM
I think the people who have already responded to this have just about covered everything, whether it be advice, storytelling or whatever.......

The first thing I do of a morning is to log on and see what's been happening.

From a personal view, I feel I have made some strong and lasting friendships and have been helped immensely on a lot of occasions.

One of the best things I did was to find this site.

TOL

gunna
26-08-2006, 08:42 AM
Too hard to pick one but you certainly could narrow it down to top 10. Pity Kerry isn't round. His help was right up there too.

Can we have an award for best GPS marks shared out ;D ;D ;D.

DR
26-08-2006, 09:34 AM
a site from our southern brothers does this.
it is the named in honour of a very helpful & valued member who passed away.
Also it is, from memory, awarded each month to the member (voted for by all members) who has in their minds contributed the most for that month. that does not mean 100s of posts, it could only be 1 post, but 1 that was deemed the best for that period..

fish2eat
26-08-2006, 11:20 AM
I WOULD NOT like to see such an award in such a formal sense...

The reason this site is No1 is because it works like a team, with many senior and newer members contributing on a large range of topics, some have freshwater experience, some estuary salt, some offshore salt, humour, boating knowledge......it is almost endless. And the "refs" control the game pretty wellkeeping the "blowhards" and abusive types out.

I could easily nominate 20 members who have given me some incredible tips, and we all could probably do the same, except we would all have 20 different members on our list.

Forget awards, we do it cause we love it.....

Stu

Herm
26-08-2006, 12:20 PM
Herm,
The reason is simple if a member deserves a award for all over contributions to this site then why not acknowledge it.
Agree with what everyone has said and there are plenty you could pick from.
The reason i chose Blaze is because i value him in all sections of Ausfish and as i stated from the start he will always go out of his way to help members and never offends anyone like i do.
Just a though mate and i hoped i have not offended any member on this site because i have picked Blaze.
All of you are very important.
Troy

Hi Troy

My point was exactly as fish2eat has just stated!

My comment was not based upon who anyone had chosen, more the fact that I read as many posts as I can from as many members as I can! I figure the more I read - the more I will learn! :)

As for acknowledging great information given - the people that have given me advice/help offered - I thank them profusely by PM and in the post if there is one applicable. I greatly appreciate the time taken by everyone to read and take time to reply to any of my questions as silly as they maybe!

I feel that I have made some genuine friends through this site! :) - some of them it is only by PM at the moment, others it is now by phone and others going out for a fish!! :) and I look forward to meeting many more members and sharing a fish, a chat and drink! ;) (maybe not in that order! ;)) And it is all based on our love of fishing! What more could you want?! :D

Cheers

mod5
26-08-2006, 12:27 PM
Don't think I would ever get an award. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

PinHead
26-08-2006, 12:38 PM
Don't think I would ever get an award. # :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

LOL ya think ?? You've got the gun!!!!!

PinHead
26-08-2006, 12:42 PM
Bit worried about Scalem though...taking somebody elses cook fishing #[smiley=tongue.gif]

mate..if you knew what she breings along for lunch just for a day out on a boat, you would not complain..veritable mobile banquet,,it's a wonder Great White isn't as fat as me with the food Herm prepares.

theoldlegend
26-08-2006, 02:17 PM
You're not overweight Pinhead!

As a matter of fact, I think you're in very good shape. 8-)

Geez, I love that boat of yours. ::)

TOL

Great_White
26-08-2006, 04:43 PM
TOL , stop sucking up to pinhead ;D ;D ;D

The deckie duties are mine ;D ;D ;D

By the way Greg your not over weight, suck, suck, suck, ;D ;D ;D when are we going out again ;) ;) ;)

Peter :)

Got_the_Fever
26-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Mod 5 would definately have to get an award for the wonderful kicks he does of loosers. The last one I reckoned would have been a 50 field goal on any footy patch.
As for TOL well mate you are in a catagory all by yourself with your one liners.

Kel

theoldlegend
26-08-2006, 06:22 PM
Mod5 you're right up there IMO!! #8-)

At the end of the day, when the cows have come home to roost, and it's all said and done, and the stable gate's been shut after the chooks are in, somebody has to help out with keeping the site under control. #I think you are doing a very good job. #By the way, do you have a boat like Pinhead's? #Just asking. #You're a good bloke mate.

Peter (Great White); mate, there's no need to be in competition with each other, we'll just mount a joint suck hole job and hopefully Greg will buckle under and offer to take us out. #Then while we're out there Peter, sunnies on, lounging back, trying to look bored while the Breaka Girls run amuk on the cruiser, serving us refreshments. #Aaaah yes, life will be good. #Oh by the way, maybe we should take out a rod or two. #A Loomis would look good. #I know where you can borrow one.

I wasn't going to say anything more about this thread, but I have been moved to do so. #Probably because it's 1820hrs on Saturday and I'm feeling very good, just before I lapse into the old familiar T & E mode.

I think of a bloke who doesn't say very much, but who Araldited a hook to the back of a sandy and caught probably the biggest parrot (tuskfish) that this bay will ever see. #The same bloke who one night just decided he wanted to target a big jew around Goat Island and did just that.

The bloke who calls himself a whinger and who does a fantastic job with foster kids. #Bloody excellent stuff.

I also think of a bloke in Tassie who busted his boat and who wasn't too proud to let us know how he got on with his limited resources; I think of a lady who had white ants etc etc: geez, the list goes on and on and on. #The bloke up at Fraser who got sick of catching choppers and the guys who go out wide and return with fantastic photos; the lady who lives around Coffs (who I love dearly) and who has introduced me to rod building, the lady around the road who gives me pikelets when her husband is spooling up my reel. #The funny people around Bribie who have a witty outlook: #it all helps. #The people who tell fishing stories like reading a book.

So you see people, this is what it's all about.

You know, I'm stuffed if I know why I started this post. #It's taken so long to type this, I've changed the original time about 5 times.

Anyway, that's about me. I really don't know why I started this.

Anyway, it's done.

TOL #Thank goodness. #

StevenM
26-08-2006, 07:17 PM
TOL

you can not give away the identity of MOD ::)5

its like the superman / clark kent thing ;D

as a matter of fact MOD 5 has been superman at times with the hours he must spend on the site fixing posts etc..so MOD 5 is clark kent.... :-?

Hey I have worked it out.... [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

theoldlegend
27-08-2006, 07:30 AM
Hi-Yo,

I see Mod5 has done an edit on my post. Maybe I gave away his identity last night. :-X

I've really got to stop getting all serious about things on here. It's all for enjoyment and fun. :-?

TOL

finga64
27-08-2006, 01:31 PM

mate..if you knew what she breings along for lunch just for a day out on a boat, you would not complain..veritable mobile banquet,,it's a wonder Great White isn't as fat as me with the food Herm prepares.

Ahhh, the truth is out at last. :)
The way to get Brian to take me fishing, prawning etc etc is to pack some sangers, biscuits and a couple of light beers and away we go.... ;D
Brian has told me that the day was a champion is he's proud as punch to get the lady in question onto a fish or two. :)
Cheers Scott

Herm
27-08-2006, 04:04 PM

Ahhh, the truth is out at last. #:)
The way to get Brian to take me fishing, prawning etc etc is to pack some sangers, biscuits and a couple of light beers and away we go.... ;D
Brian has told me that the day was a champion is he's proud as punch to get the lady in question onto a fish or two. :)
Cheers Scott

Unfortunatley for Brian :( - due to the lack of time (I only had about half an hour to get ready!) :( I was unable to supply the usual basket of "culinary delights" that normally accompanies me on my fishing adventures! But I did check and Brian had alread organised his own chicken schintzel sanga which was better than my vegemite anyway! :)

So Brian - next time we head out (we must make it soon! ;) there will be a extra special basket of goodies to thank you for putting me on to my first and second squire!!!! ;)

Cheers

StevenM
27-08-2006, 06:56 PM
Hi-Yo,

I see Mod5 has done an edit on my post. #Maybe I gave away his identity last night. # :-X

# :-?

TOL

Ahhh I feel better now that your post has had an edit.....the mystery is still there ;)

Who is that masked Mod

Darryl
27-08-2006, 07:23 PM
Janine with your reputation for culinary expertise your welcome aboard my boat anytime. Ps bring Peter as we need someone to clean the fish and pull the anchor up. ;D ;D

Sorry Pete but i heard she out fishes you 3 to 1 ;D ;D ;D

Darryl.

PinHead
27-08-2006, 08:20 PM
Picture this Darryl, an idyllic day at the Pin..just sitting back relaxing...smoko time arrives..out with the kabana, cheese and cracker biscuits etc. Then..lunch..a separate container for each person with the salad basics in it...lettuce, bacon, boiled egg etc etc and then onto the table goes 2 more containers..one with chicken and the other with prawns. Absolute bloody feast it was...Janine knows how to spoil people.

I gotta say though that Pete does make a good deckie for tying the boat back up.

Darryl
27-08-2006, 08:33 PM
I can see there is going to be Ausfish fights over getting Janine as a deckie ;D Maybe we should just have a M&G aboard that star fleet enterprise vessel of yours Greg and all get a decent feed. ;D

PinHead
27-08-2006, 08:42 PM
I was thinking something similar Darryl....anchor the boat down there somewhere...fishing from tinnies etc and back to the boat for a Janine feast (don't think Janine would be too keen on that though)

Darryl
27-08-2006, 08:44 PM
No dont think she would Greg, i think we might be border lining on a thick ear there matey. ;D

PinHead
27-08-2006, 08:48 PM
she is away so she won't see this for a while.
we will have to do something like that anyway..got the barbie on the back now also.

TinarooTriumph
27-08-2006, 08:52 PM
What about Choppa :P ???

TT 8-)

Darryl
27-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Yeah for sure Greg, i'l be in that.

Herm
27-08-2006, 10:47 PM
she is away so she won't see this for a while.

Hello Boys! :)

Yes I am away - but there is internet access at Caloundra ;)

It is a big wrap that you have given me Greg - and won't they be dissapointed if I fail to meet the expectations!!! ;D ;D ;D I have been trying to think up ideas for food that is easy to prepare for the boat! But on your boat you have the microwave and all the mod cons! :) That really takes the pressure off!

You boys are so cheeky! ;)

Cheers

PS - Thank you for giving me such a good laugh tonight!!!!

Hornblower
27-08-2006, 10:51 PM
Hey Puks, sorry about the gender mix up, no offence intended, but the way you write your posts - you know - for a lady, your not a bad bloke ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Seriously, sorry about that :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/

puks
28-08-2006, 10:17 AM
hornblower
no worries mate ;)
and thanks for the compliment ( i think ;D thats right up there with the compliment i got at the airport one time from this aussi bloke saying your not a bad lass for a kraut ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D)

but seriously no worries :)

janine enjoy the male attention :)
the culinary queen of ausfish
how about you start a section in the recipie part about easy to prepare food for the boat so the culinary challenged ( like me :-[) can get some tricks and hints
i'd be eternally gratefull for that

regards
anya

Dirtysanchez
28-08-2006, 01:47 PM
I reckon we should categorise it over a few areas

Knowledge as in places to fish and advice for same
Technical stuff on how to fix things or rig up
Humour :D
And maybe something like just an allround good person who regularly contributes sound input on subjects

imported_admin
28-08-2006, 03:35 PM
It sounds like a good idea but as mentioned by several memebrs already, it would be impossible to give it to just one person. Even if it was done on a monthly or even weekly basis. Every post that helps someone out is valuable. It doesn't matter if someone posts once a month or once a day, if they are helping out a fellow angler then that is all that matters.

troy
28-08-2006, 07:50 PM
Steve i am afraid i do not agree with you on this.
I did not want this to be a yearly or monthly event.
Now i realised i should not have started this thread but i just wanted to give the the person concerned a honor of the way he has been a great help to this site as so a lot of members have been.
But at the end of the day he has presented himself in a way that in my opinion overall he has my vote.
Troy

choppa
28-08-2006, 08:19 PM
nah,,,,,,,i'm with steve on this one troy,,,,

i've noticed my name has been splashed about a bit and a thank you to those concerned,,,

BUT how do you """"vote""" for the BEST advice when there is so much of it,,,, and more to the point how do you catagorise the most helpful,,,

scenario,,,, your broken down on the side of the highway,,,, your upset,,, kids are upset,,, the wife wants to get home,,,,

a helpful passerby,,,who happens to be an ausfishmember,,,, stops and helps you back on your way

VERSUS

you break down at sea,,,,,,amongst a group of fisho's,,, but the only help comes from an ausfish member

both are relevant,,,, and both have been posted on this site,,,, in my books they both are great,,, i wouldn't choose 1 from the other,,

recognition on this site is there everyday to the member/members who contribute,,, kingtin has one now in general chat,,,, i've had 1 or 2,,, plus a zillion pm's from members AND mods,,,

i don't ask for it,,,, don't look for it,,,,, just happy to be part of the team

choppa

jimbamb
28-08-2006, 08:24 PM
I dont think its a good idea
" because it aint broken so dont fix it!!!!!!""
As many others said how could you single out one person as there are so many and varied replys.and posts it would be impossible.
Leave it as it is and if some special event/occasion occurs do something in way of a tribute if it is appropiate...
Thats my 2 bobs(20 cents) worth..

DR
28-08-2006, 08:55 PM
some appear to be missing the idea.
you run a monthly thread. if someone posts or does something you find areeable you go in & give them a vote, at the end of the month votes are counted, most votes becomes that months valued member..
it's not a pissing contest & most of us wont even get a vote it's just a nice way to give someone a bit of recognition.

if it was on now, my first vote would go to Touchy for being a good, helpful member & a tough old bugger. ;)

straddie
29-08-2006, 08:04 AM
If you really want to give someone a pat on the back for for their contributions get along to one of the meet and greets buy them a beer, shake their hand, or thank them in person.

I think it would mean a hell of a lot more to the individual than an anonymous click for an award.

Dirtysanchez
29-08-2006, 03:04 PM
Nice one Straddie, thats the way to do it, in person alright.

Will have to try harder to get to one of them, each time I try something comes up, but hopefully soon one near Brissy & I will be there

Cheers