PDA

View Full Version : Are We a rare Breed?

megan
28-08-2006, 01:40 PM
I love to fish and will go at any chance that I have. My dad taught me to fish when i was a youngin, and now have a partner that I am lucky enough to fish with all the tiime. I bait my own, clean and fillet my own and even have a few fishing trophies - and a few that have beaten the males in a local fish comp.

But my question is, am I or are we (women that fish) a rare breed? Often I see comments written in here about having to give the misses an excuse to go fishing etc

Sometimes I just dont get it why there arn't more women out there fishing and having a great time!!

What are your thoughts?

yibbiy
28-08-2006, 01:54 PM
Fish - a - holic,
The first time my girlfriend came fishing with me, she just wanted to watch. After seeing a couple of fish caught, she wanted to have a go. Her solution was to use a piece of wood with about 10 metres of line attatched. . . .and. . . .it worked, and she caught all the fish, for the rest of that afternoon. Now, she has convinced her friends, and instead of going into the city or on shopping trips, they go fishing. . .I think there are quite a few females out there fishing. A rare breed? ? In my opinion, i would say no. . . .

Jim.

finga64
28-08-2006, 02:17 PM
The cook here get pretty peeved if I go fishing without her.
She's from New Caledonia and fishing is a way of life over there.
Doesn't matter where/how we fish. Outside, inside, muddy river or fresh water it's all the same to her.
She's pretty good at pumping yabbies too #:D
Teaching her how to drive the boat now. She's pretty good at that too. She just has to remember where the gear lever is when we come to shore at the boat ramp #:D

Taking the cook fishing is a great way of NOT getting into trouble when I
(a) go fishing
(b) want to buy a new rod, reel, gismo etc
(c) want to put something new in the boat
(d) want to go to the beach house at Evans
(e) go fishing and the fish are biting and I'm running late home...can't get into strife from the cook...she's with me #;D

Taking the cook is handy because
(a) We get a good smoko and lunch (she packs the food whilst I get the boat, bait, gear etc ready and then bung the boat on the car
(b) somebody to laugh at when they get broken off
(c) somebody to pump and pickup yabbies (also someone the laugh at when they get nipped by a yabbie #:))
(d) somebody to help launch and retrieve the boat
(e) somebody to run into the shop to get a paddle pop to eat on the way home whilst I clean out the bait buckets, tie down the boat #etc.
All in all we enough our days out fishing #
Thanks dear [smiley=smitten.gif]

Smailesy
28-08-2006, 02:45 PM
my wife loves to eat fish but will not go but she will come up the beach and rough it 4 a week or two she love to eat fresh fish :)

ShaneJ
28-08-2006, 02:55 PM
I wish I could find a girlfriend that was keen on fishing? Anyone out there interested?? You would have to be able to live with me and my current girl though :-?

puks
28-08-2006, 07:04 PM
fish a holic
i liked reading your post and thought a bit about it :)
i do think some of the guys dont have it to bad but they like to sound dramatic as fischos do ;D ( no offence guys)

I do think there are quite a few female fishos around wich is great
me i got into it because it was something kel and i could do together spent quality time together
but i am really enjoying it
seeing the women here in the forum is great because its so different to what i used to think of fishing back in the old country
sitting on the banks of the rivers and having to be silent and sit in the cold rain hoping for a fish to to nibble ( theyr are a very serious bunch with their fishing)
and to me that doesnt sound very apealing
here its different
its fun and a thrill
i guess thats why there are so many women involved in it

i do love to hang out with my girlfriends and go shopping and dont go fishing with kel everythime he goes out
but i would never spit my dummy because he wants to go fishing because i know he enjoys it and it does him good

i would get feisty if he spend thousands on fishing gear that isnt needed ( same as he would if i spend that kind of money on shoes really ;))

well i dribbled on a bit but all i meant to say is
no we are not a rare breed we just dont brag ;D ;)

regards
anya

puks
28-08-2006, 07:05 PM
fish a holic
i liked reading your post and thought a bit about it :)
i do think some of the guys dont have it to bad but they like to sound dramatic as fischos do #;D ( no offence guys)

I do think there are quite a few female fishos around wich is great
me i got into it because it was something kel and i could do together spent quality time together
but i am really enjoying it
seeing the women here in the forum is great because its so different to what i used to think of fishing back in the old country
sitting on the banks of the rivers and having to be silent and sit in the cold rain hoping for a fish to to nibble ( theyr are a very serious bunch #with their fishing ::))
and to me that doesnt sound very apealing
here its different
its fun and a thrill
i guess thats why there are so many women involved in it

i do love to hang out with my girlfriends and go shopping and dont go fishing with kel everythime he goes out
but i would never spit my dummy because he wants to go fishing because i know he enjoys it and it does him good

i would get feisty if he spend thousands on fishing gear that isnt needed ( same as he would if i spend that kind of money on shoes really #;))

well i dribbled on a bit but all i meant to say is
no we are not a rare breed we just dont brag #;D ;)

regards
anya

Jewmaster
28-08-2006, 07:19 PM
My wife loves to fish, but I don't always love to take the wife fishing.....

Sometimes its about having your own hobbies, own space ect,

longtail
28-08-2006, 07:22 PM
i'd love for my wife to come out more often , but she usually only comes out for the kids . helen is not really into fishing , but thats ok , gives me some quiet time out of the house ;)

Jason.

Scalem
28-08-2006, 07:24 PM
My wife used to like fishing and all of a sudden it stopped.... The phenominon is called "Kids" and for a long time it seemed her primary function in life - was to stay at home and look after them. That was not my choice, that's just the way things turned out. But now they are growing up, occasionally they come out with me, but need some toughening up. The 1st morton bay wave I hit a little hard, and they want me to turn around and head back :-/

I guess I should get a little wiser and take them in quieter water, but you don't get big snapper around the mouth of the logan river or pin area. Tough choices, but they can take fishing or leave it, preferring to go shopping with mum for shoes instead. :'( :'(

We occasionally have our good days, so it's not all doom and gloom! Photo attached.

Scalem

squidly
28-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Hi everyone,
Well i think im blessed, when i met my partner i told her im into fishing , boating , 4x4 and speedway and beer.. ;)
Well if we go fishing, camping, 4x4 or speedway, she organises everything. She loves it. Organising..... ;)
I get the car or the boat ready and she does the rest it doesnt get any better than that.Best of all if we dont catch fish, or it rains when we are camping or i dont win racing , she dont care cause we are doing stuff together....... 8-)plus we can always go home and have beer together... :-*

hussy
28-08-2006, 09:05 PM
if i took my wife fishing she would wonder why she is being punished.
have taken her about 5 times in 35 years, and thats 5 too many. hubby

skippa
28-08-2006, 09:21 PM
Well,

I consider myself lucky, Maryanne (Mrs Skip) loves fishing too. Not only fishing, but camping and 4WD are also favourite hobbies we share.

But life is about balance, so there are plenty of times I go fishing/boating with mates too .... these are our 'own space times' which we also consider valuable.

For fathers day Maryanne has spoken .. We are going out in the Southwind .. she declared. ;)

Cheers,
Tony 8-)

seafarer3
29-08-2006, 07:37 AM
Hi,

I'm surly very lucky to,as my wife will out fish me...
She will be happy to fish all day & some...
Any excuss for her & we will go out...

Cheers
Scott

stevedemon
29-08-2006, 08:17 AM
Hi all
well my other half loves to fish in the summer only and the great lady she is when i would like to go fishing she say just go :D 8-) as most o the kids are not at home now so it comes down to fishing with mates, by myself which i enjoy as you can relax and get rid of the stress

but no fish_a_holic you girls are not a rare breed like some of the other guys have stated our wives, girl Friends like to come with us but we also like to get away with our mates some times to as this is just a holiday away for some of us and get us from under the girls feet ::) ;D :-/ ::) ;)

but you will also find that some of the wives will not fish but enjoy the boat in the sun while we fish

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

megan
29-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Ok then maybe we arn't a RARE breed - but we are definately a SPECIAL breed thats for sure :)

shayned
29-08-2006, 11:53 AM
My girl used to come for a fish and seemed to enjoy it. Then she just kept finding reasons not to come. We talked about it, she reckons it's because I just kept getting more and more serious about it and it put her off.

Nic
29-08-2006, 02:33 PM
My girl used to come for a fish and seemed to enjoy it. Then she just kept finding reasons not to come. We talked about it, she reckons it's because I just kept getting more and more serious about it and it put her off.

Just show her an episode of AFC or Bassmasters and she'll see that your seriousness is nothing compared to the obsessiveness of those tournament junkies. :)

Hornblower
29-08-2006, 05:59 PM
i would get feisty if he spend thousands on fishing gear that isnt needed

Hey Anya, don't you know that guy who has the most toys when he dies - WINS!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers ;) ;) ;) ;)

blaze
29-08-2006, 06:27 PM
wish my wife would come for a fish sometimes, if we load the boat with cruisin and picnicing gear she enjoys the day cruisin around the island sight seeing but put a fishing rod in she looses interest. So for a few days a year we just go cruisin with family and friends and enjoy our time.
She also has no problems with my fishing addiction (tightens the belt on the spending sometimes)
cheers
blaze

StevenM
29-08-2006, 06:43 PM
I wish I could find a girlfriend that was keen on fishing? Anyone out there interested?? You would have to be able to live with me and my current girl though :-?

Shane your a cheky greedy little bugger rnt u

Cheers

Steven

saphire
29-08-2006, 06:51 PM
I was inspired to go fishing as a yound girl by my next door neighbour who was a women. She had a tinny and loved fishing and hanging out on the bay.
She was a great inspiration and a wonderful person.
She is now dead but I will never forget her.
Since then I know heaps of women who love fishing and boating. I dont think we are as rare as people think. I seem to know heaps.
saphire.

puks
29-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Ok then maybe we arn't a RARE breed - but we are definately a SPECIAL breed thats for sure # :)

[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Hornblower
ok you got me i didnt know that ;)
so for us girls is it "the one with the most shoes/handbags when she dies wins as well??" (go imelda marcos) ;D ;D ;D

anya

Herm
29-08-2006, 11:41 PM
My wife used to like fishing and all of a sudden it stopped.... #The phenominon is called "Kids" and for a long time it seemed her primary function in life - was to stay at home and look after them............ #Scalem

Brian! :) Could not have put it better myself! You have summed it up so well!

I got my first fishing rod at 4 and the main benefit of having a holiday house at the beach was the fishing! (my girls are the 4th generation to come and stay up here) I didn't always think think that fishing was great - those strange teenage years :o - but it has nearly come full circle again! :)

As Brian said the child rearing really came into it - getting fatter and fatter for 9 months and then feeding and looking after the littlies - really leaves little time for fishing! :) I vaguely remember a time when we could just pack and go! ;) ;D But now it involves either getting the girls looked after or packing the little dvd player, half a dozen dolls and lots of snacks - then the trip is for a maximum of a couple of hours before they get restless. I know it will get better and Miss 4 seems very interested in fishing, but Miss 2 is still a bit little.

So I think that we are special and probably a little bit rare - I don't have any girlfriends that fish! But there are plenty of great people on here to talk fishing with to my hearts content!!!! :D It is great to see more and more ladies on Ausfish! :)

Cheers
:)Janine

Hornblower
29-08-2006, 11:46 PM
Anya,

To be honest, I don't know, but whatever spins your reel!!!!

Cheers ;) ;) ;)

puks
30-08-2006, 11:03 AM
i like that idea
http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Grands_Smileys/arc-en-ciel-58.gif

anya

Great_White
30-08-2006, 03:18 PM
Given the chance my wife Herm (Janine) would be out fishing every chance she got ;D ;D ;D

Which is great as more often than not I go out as well :) :) :)

Peter ;)

lovefishing1
30-08-2006, 11:19 PM
:-*
Hi I am a female and I love fishing, my partner does not go with me so I try to find someone else to go with or I go by myself which is very relaxing. I recently had a friend down from Townsville and we overnighted in the Nerang River and caught one of the biggest mud crabs ever on a dilly as we were getting some sandies, caught a few nice whiting on bloodworms also. Have my own boat so try to use it as often as possible nothing like being out on the water
cheers Irene

ShaneJ
31-08-2006, 10:02 PM

Shane your a cheky greedy little bugger rnt u

Cheers

Steven

Yup [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

NEWBY
01-09-2006, 09:56 PM
My wife absolutely loves fishing but hates boats and the water [smiley=dizzy.gif]
Go figure. :)The kids love to get away on the weekends down to one of the creeks and live on the boat for a night or 2. wife enjoys it but when we get home she rocks for a week and it takes me months to get her to go again ;D
I figure it's horses for courses and its just not her thing. One thing I will say though, she has never once complained when I have bought a new boat, new gear or bugger off for up to 2 weeks at a time.
The perfect fisherwife. ;)

NEWBY

Tropicaltrout
01-09-2006, 10:05 PM
No chance of getting my lady for a fishing trip. I mention fishing and she makes other arrangment for her weekend while I am gone. Just means more room to cast!!!! ;D