PDA

View Full Version : canabals

tunaman
31-08-2006, 11:54 PM
I was just thinking, How many fish dont eat their own kind?
You can catch tailor on tailor flesh, but can you catch bream on bream flesh?[ meat eater,s only] Iam just asking, because tonight I ran out of
bream bait, and used some bream for bait, and caught nothing.
Was doing well on the bream untill the pillies ran out.

signed tunaman

Got_the_Fever
01-09-2006, 03:28 AM
You have started a very interesting thread mate. I havent tried catching bream with bream before but im looking forward to some of our more learned answering you.

Kel

fishingbarry
01-09-2006, 06:44 AM
I have caught Tailor on Tailor, big ones too.

Noelm
01-09-2006, 08:03 AM
I have caught a lot of fish on their own flesh, but not too many people try it, who would cut up a big snapper for bait?? Flathead will take Flathead baits as will Trevally and a whole host of other species, it's just that no one really does it, why waste a good fish for bait unless you are desperate or forgot your bait or something.

el_carpo
01-09-2006, 08:25 AM
It's a common practice used by perch fishermen over here. When you run out of bait, you cut strips from the "belly" meat and it works very well. I was out with my brother once and we were using lures. We were having a tough time catching them but I finally landed one. All the while, the people using minnows were doing well. My brother says, "Lets cut some bait strips and try that." We did and by the end of the day, we had outfished everyone on the pier. On four strips of meat, we landed 87 fish.

wayneoro
01-09-2006, 08:28 AM
THE RED MEAT ON TAILOR PUT A LITTLE ON YOUR LURE THEY CAN'T RESIST THAT TAILOR IS A TOP ALL ROUND BAIT

tunaman
01-09-2006, 09:02 AM
Thanks everyone, but what I wanted to know is. How many DONT eat
their own kind. I cant think of one! I have sat here think of every
spieces of meat eater I can, and Iam sure bream would eat their own
if they had nothing else. But last night, they wouldnt touch it.
So Iam putting that down as 1. Only my opinion and luck maybe?

Noelm is right, I can think of dozen,s that do,but they cant all be cannibals? Or maybe it should be worded as perfer not to eat their own kind?

signed tunaman

gunna
01-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Interesting. Bream love a bit of mullet. I've caught them on whiting fillet when chasing lizards. Can't see why they wouldn't take a bit of bream. Don't think I would ever catch whiting on whiting though.

tunaman
01-09-2006, 09:28 AM
That makes 2, I dont think I have either.

We all have ran out of bait from time to time, and when the fish are on the bit, it would be handy to know, to save cutting up a good fish you
have allready caught.

signed tunaman

blaze
01-09-2006, 09:47 AM
I am lead to believe snapper wont eat its own and will go off the bite even cleaning the fish where you are fishing, bream are the same family aint they.
cheers
blaze

fish2eat
01-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Although I have used whole whiting as bait, I have never cut them up, but would be prepared to say that you would not catch whiting on whiting flesh.

I'd think also that mullet would also be unlikely to be caught on mullet flesh, the trouble with being a mullet is that everything else in the water sees you as a top dish!!!!!

Tailor are the opposite extreme, as you have said, the big ones in particular love tailor flesh.

Noelm
01-09-2006, 01:32 PM
I think the point is how does a Bream/Whiting/Mud skipper/whatever really know what it is they are eating, last time I looked there was no CSI team down there! I think if it ever gets to the stage where a fish looks at a bait and says 'hhhhmmm, theres a 92554 Mustad Suicide hook there with 5KG Fireline and a slice of uncle Joes side on it, I dont think I should eat that" then it will be impossible to catch anything!!

tunaman
01-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Blaze you get the gold star for the mature answer. That makes sence. ;) I know its not a
big deal question, just curious on what eat,s what.
Or in this case what doesnt eat what. I thought this would be a bit of
thinking fun. Sorry for bothering.
Blaze. I did,nt know that about snapper. And since I dont fish for snapper
I guess I just learnt something." ooh silly me," thats what this site is all about?"

signed tunaman

Jackinthebox
01-09-2006, 11:36 PM
Hi Tunaman,

Blaze is right about the snapper - I have read about Fisheries tests where they have live snapper in their big tanks feeding away happilyand then they put a snapper head or frame in the tank.

All the snapper supposedly crowded up the opposite end of the tank, stopped feeding and wouldn't come near the frame/head. Something to do with the attack pheromones from the injured fish being released into the water I think - just like if a shark was ripping into a school of snapper, I don't think they would be too keen to keep feeding where the first snapper was shredded.

I had heard a few old time snapper fishos say you should never clean your snapper when you're on top of a snapper reef either as they reckoned it would shut the fish down for ages.

Tailor on the other hand, yeah well they're just greedy gutses, they love to eat each other!

Also, have hooked a few big flatties on small hooked flatties being retrieved as mentioned in a similar post hereabouts. Big gutses as well!

Cheers,

Mick.

tunaman
02-09-2006, 12:45 AM
Thanks Jackinthebox. its good to see, that there are mature people
on this site. I thought it was a fair Question.

signed tunaman

gogecko
02-09-2006, 05:22 AM
I was wondering about small live bream as livebait. Im not into using undersize fish of course, but since I was getting a few caught in the castnet I became curious, jut from a research point. I heard on nuggets radio show that he knew old fishos who tried this before it became illegal to use bream under 23cm, and the result was no fish takes live bream. Apparently they are too spikey for most species.

Dunno about bream fillets, but I thought Id add the info on live bream. Bream maybe one of the few that dont eat their own, maybe since theyre a bottom feeder, theres always enough rubbish around for them. Just look at how they multiply without any food shortage.

Its a good question. So why are you leaving? Hope it wasnt something someone said? You need to be thick skinned on any chat site.

cheers
Andrew

tunaman
02-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Gecko. just having a dummy spit. I guess my thick skin wore a little thin.

signed tunaman :)

GARFISH
02-09-2006, 12:47 PM
Interesting thought, I have not caught Bream on Bream but have not used Bream fillets for Bait. I have caught Two large flathead both over 11 lbs on whole bream. The bream were not used as bait as such but were caught and the Flathead attacked the Bream and got hooked on them.

I have also caught Whiting on small strips of Whiting made to look like whitebait.

charleville
02-09-2006, 07:38 PM
Not that anyone will really care, but grinners eat grinners. ;D ;D ;D

Not talking just about a strip of their flesh either. Caught one recently and had another grinner come and take him. ::)

Grand_Marlin
02-09-2006, 08:47 PM
G'day Tunaman,

Bream wont eat Bream ... my Grandfather told me this many years ago, as I asked the exact same question when we were getting low on bait.

He had tried it a few times and never had a touch.

Eels apparently wont eat eels (neither will other fish)

You cant catch fish using shark as bait (true)

And it I have found it impossible to catch fish using a shark as a live bait ;D ;D

Cheers

Pete

seatime
02-09-2006, 11:30 PM
Although I have used whole whiting as bait, I have never cut them up, but would be prepared to say that you would not catch whiting on whiting flesh.

I'd think also that mullet would also be unlikely to be caught on mullet flesh, the trouble with being a mullet is that everything else in the water sees you as a top dish!!!!!

Tailor are the opposite extreme, as you have said, the big ones in particular love tailor flesh.

I too thought it unlikely mullet would take mullet, until 5 weeks ago on Flinders Beach, when I caught a small mullet on mullet flesh and a 1/0, a first time, and never heard of it before.