PDA

View Full Version : Steve Irwin dead

adamleah
04-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Just heard that Steve Irwin has been spiked in the heart by a dirty stinking Sting ray Barb and died this morning.

Kingtin, you best take care next time when handling ....

SeaHunt
04-09-2006, 02:30 PM
Sad day indeed.
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,20349534-952,00.html

Stingray got him this morning.

SCOTTYGC
04-09-2006, 02:34 PM
just heard on the radio that steve irwin has died while filming in NTH QLD

stung by sting ray?

sad day at aussie zoo and my wishes to the irwin family

scotty

Dirtysanchez
04-09-2006, 02:38 PM
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

This is terrible, I just heard and looked on Ausfish, heaps of posts about it.
Bloody incredible way for a bloke to go, considering all the other dangerous stuff he does.

I've had a tiny one jab me in the foot and it was very painful, so a big one in the chest is just amazing to consider.

My sympathy to his family, let's hope his dreams live on through the zoo and his family / friends

RIP Steve
:-/

gunna
04-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Thats so sad. The bloke is an Aussie Icon. Heart goes out to the family for their loss.

Herm
04-09-2006, 02:41 PM
I can't believe it! :o

He seemed 10ft and bulletproof! - and a little bit of a nutter ;) but this is just awful!

I just hope that the footage never shows up on the net! But some how these things always do! :(

I feel so sorry for his family :'(

Best Wishes
Janine and Family :'(

outsiderskip
04-09-2006, 02:42 PM
not a nice way to go
by stingray

aussie lost a icon

pete

Slient
04-09-2006, 02:45 PM
:'( :'( :'(
We will sorry miss you a great bloke...
:'( :'( :'(

coraltrout68
04-09-2006, 02:50 PM
I cant believe it.

We have lost a true Australian icon today.

blaze
04-09-2006, 02:55 PM
aussie icon, love him or hate him he has a lot of good for his cause with a good bit of larican thrown in.
condolerense to his family
blaze

Nov-rain
04-09-2006, 02:56 PM
RIP steve...

that's about all I can say.. and thanks for everything

Poseidon
04-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Australia has lost one true and generous man.

Argle
04-09-2006, 03:02 PM
An absolute tradgedy, a true Aussie Icon who has done much for the country and the environment. A very very sad day indeed. My heart goes out to his family. :'(

Scott

theVan
04-09-2006, 03:03 PM
I am just truely devastated
his poor family

cuzzamundi
04-09-2006, 03:05 PM
I'm just shattered. i cannot believe it. for starters, the man has two young ones that are now fatherless. then when you consider the amount he was doing for aussie wildlife...ah, just a massive loss. a top bloke on top of all that. i just can't fathom it. especially a ray of all things. just doedn't seem real. i just hope he now can somehow be at peace with his mum who he loved so much. it's a terribly tragic day for australia. R.I.P. Mr Erwin, we salute you, sir.

cuzza

JasonT
04-09-2006, 03:08 PM
I think you will be hard pressed to find anyone who was as passionate about their chosen field or loved and lived it as much as Steve did.

I think the definition of "Passion" should simply be :"Steve Irwin"
The same goes for excitement and enthusiasm.

I think this is a great loss for not only for Australia, but the world.
I personally will miss the man. I related to his humor and enthusiasm.

My sympathies to Terri, Bindi, Bob and the rest of the family.
I'm sorry there's nothing anyone can do to ease your pain right now.

Jason T

Herm
04-09-2006, 03:10 PM
I can't believe it! # #:o

He seemed 10ft and bulletproof! - and a bit eccentric ;) #but this is just awful! #:'(

I just hope that the footage never shows up on the net! #But some how these things always do! #:(

I feel so sorry for his family :'( # #

Best Wishes
Janine and Family :( #

serene_lady
If it had been a croc it would almost be beliveable because he knew where the risks were with them, but to die by a stingray is something he would never have expected. A big loss for Australia and an even bigger loss for his wife and young family. Bob. :( :( :(

Dunks
Very sad indeed. What a horrible way to go.

I am sure that his legacy will live on through Australia Zoo and his family. Sad for his two little ones though.

Lone_Wolf
04-09-2006, 03:16 PM
Steve Irwin died doing what he loved. Whilst the circumstances are tragic, it just shows us how many ways there are to die in the ocean.

You have to feel heartbroken for his little children. They have lost a great Dad who showed them more of the world than most of us have ever seen. Australia Zoo has lost a great leader.

The numbers game can be a cruel one indeed!

LW

fish2eat
04-09-2006, 03:17 PM
This is the same sort of feeling as when you heard Princess Diana died, a sort of disbelief, because they seemed so much larger than life.

Truly a massive tragedy and great loss for Australia.

themisses
04-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Well said Jason. He has done amazing things for the environment!! If we all had only a tiny slice of his passion, excitement and love for life and the world we live in, it would be much better place. It is a huge loss, but he has left an awsome legacy.
Love and thoughts to his family.
Rod and Kim.

TheSaint
04-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Crikey!

R.I.P.

sharky789
04-09-2006, 03:23 PM
:'( :'( :'( :'( i reckon the animals will pine for him

Fishin_Dan
04-09-2006, 03:25 PM
:'(

He was always referred to as "Uncle Steve" in my household. The guy was an absolute legend! I met him once a few years ago, and the passion he displays on TV is nowhere near the amount of passion he has when you talk to him about animals.

My deepest condolences go out to his remaining family and friends.

snakecatcher
04-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Watching Steve in action is one of the things that encouraged me to start catching and relocating snakes. What a sad tragedy, my heart goes out to his family and friends.

SeaHunt
04-09-2006, 03:27 PM
Hard to imagine how such a thing could happen.

No disrespect intended , but he probably had it in a bearhug trying to insert his thumb up it's butthole at the time. #:o
But heck, that is one thing we loved about the man.
A true larrakin and a great Australian who probably packed more in his 44 years than any other 5 people could do in their lifetimes.
Will be sorely missed, but died doing what he loved, how many of us mere mortals will be so fortunate to exit this world doing something we love. #

mickstar001
04-09-2006, 03:30 PM
Crikey :(

tunaman
04-09-2006, 03:31 PM
A great man has gone. My daughter is going to the zoo on wednesday,
with their school, she is now crying, she loved him.
prays form tunaman and family. :( :( :( :'( :'( :'(

signed tunaman :(

truck_hunter
04-09-2006, 03:34 PM
yeah i just heard on tv at 3oclock while i was on ausfish site my 1st reaction was WHAT i couldn,t belive it what i heard he what a great guy :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Colorado
04-09-2006, 03:40 PM
It is hard to believe, I am still in shock.

Steve Irwin was a true legend, one of the best.

My thoughts and prays to his beloved family.

Leigh :'(

freddyfish
04-09-2006, 03:44 PM
RIP Croc Hunter.

Expert from Sydney Oceanworld said its the first fatal stingray attack in Oz. Don't know if thats true but if it is what bad luck after all the situations he's been in. Lost a true Aussie thats for sure.

Brad

Az
04-09-2006, 03:49 PM
Devestated!! #:'(

Irreplaceable enthusiasm for such a great cause, he was one in a million and a true aussie icon

We will miss you Steve!

lock
04-09-2006, 03:58 PM
What a loss for aus. What a sad day

truck_hunter
04-09-2006, 03:59 PM
i got my nickname TRUCK HUNTER given to me by my work mates as i drive a truck for a living, & my facial & hand expressions were similar to that of the croc hunter, one day as i was explaing my disgust at a shithouse job the mechanic did on my truck 1 day, like him iam passionate about 2 things my job i love so much driving trucks & fishing !!! it,s sad day for all at least he died doing what he loved.

mylestom
04-09-2006, 04:00 PM
Bugger, he probably did more for Aussie tourism overseas over the last few years, than anyone else.

My best wishes to his family and all his staff at Aussie zoo,

One of the best days out that we have spent with our children and grandchildren.

Went up there expecting an average setup, but the staff and facilities were an absolute credit to the man.

Truly a great Ocker.

He will be surely missed by all generations.

Trev

Fat Chilli
04-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Will be sadly missed :-[, genuine aussie and down to earth when not on the camera.
Met him whilst in Easter Timor 99, he was brought over to re-locate a croc from it's small pen at a local Dilli church. Great bloke.

PinHead
04-09-2006, 04:15 PM
a tragic loss for his family but alas reality is just that...at age 44 the reflexes and eye/hand coordination aren't what they used to be...RIP

Bundy_Burp
04-09-2006, 04:49 PM
Somethings are just too hard to believe but this is real and I am still having trouble dealing with it Irwin seemed to be unstoppable but just goes to show none of us are indestructable .
RIP Steve Irwin Australia has lost a great man.

Bundy_Burp
04-09-2006, 04:53 PM
RIP Steve Irwin Australia has lost a great man

lattic
04-09-2006, 04:54 PM
A very sad day for Australia and the rest of the world. A man who typified the term of "Aussie Larakin", and who was greatly liked by all. I send my deepest condolences to Terri, Bindi and Bob and to all of Steve's family and employess at Australia Zoo. You will be greatly missed, you were 1-in-a-million. Go get 'em.

R.I.P Steve.

chrisfish
04-09-2006, 05:14 PM
It's terrible and a very sad day. My kids love watching the Crocodile Hunter and going to Australia Zoo. We went at Easter and saw Steve, Terri and Bindi all in the crocoseum show. At least he went doing what he loved. The Irwin family are in my thoughts.

Scarecrow1976
04-09-2006, 05:16 PM
Great man full of life. will be missed by all
R.I.P Steve

mack_t
04-09-2006, 05:17 PM
Vale Steve,
My thoughts and prayers go out to your family and friends.
Farewell to a devoted father, ambassador for all animals , champion of concervation and bloody good aussie bloke.

Lets hope his work\life was not in vain.

my kids are going to get sick of hearing how much i love them just in case i'm next.
:'(

gutzy
04-09-2006, 05:17 PM
shattered. :'(

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
04-09-2006, 05:19 PM
It is truly a sad day for Qld and Australia's tourism industry. A tragic day for Crikey's wife and little ones. Our deepest sympathies are extended to his family, friends, and colleagues.

Dave and Sue

Poodroo
04-09-2006, 05:20 PM
It sure is a very sad day indeed. Steve was a big man with an even bigger heart. He contributed so much to wildlife and achieved so much for Australia as an icon for this great country. He will be sadly missed by people worldwide. The only thing possitive is that his legacy will live on.

Poodroo

browndog
04-09-2006, 05:22 PM
Only the good ones die young

Blackened
04-09-2006, 05:24 PM
G'day
Just showing my respect for the man that I think has accomplished a hell of alot in his 44years. Brilliant businessman, conservationist and face of "wild" australia. Great personality and wish all the best for his wife and 2 little kids.
Dave

tunaboy
04-09-2006, 05:30 PM
My name is Steven too.sad to here what happened :'( :'(

sign tunaboy

GAD
04-09-2006, 05:35 PM
A loss for Australia and the world , a true Aussie spirit .

Seahorse
04-09-2006, 05:44 PM
The croc hunter. The best thing that ever happened to australia. Will be missed so much. Just wont be the same without him. So sad for the family.
Just a sad, sad day for Australia. :( :( :( :( :(

theoldlegend
04-09-2006, 05:48 PM
A great Queenslander, and a great Australian.

A great tragedy. I feel so sorry for his family.

TOL

cobiaman
04-09-2006, 05:51 PM
such a shame, rip steve :'(

charleville
04-09-2006, 05:53 PM
Vale a man of immense vision, passion and love of family and nature.

The world has lost someone special.

Best wishes to his family.

thehoodedwarriors
04-09-2006, 05:55 PM
:'( :'( :'( #A Sad Sad Sad Day in Australia - Only saw him not long ago doing what he does best...

Aussie icon dies doing what he loves.

I hope those pollies we have to vote for get off thier buts a provide him with a memorial and also a STATE funeral.

We'll miss ya mate.... crikey!

Regards
Nichole and The Boys of The Hooded Warriors

roz
04-09-2006, 05:57 PM
He was a champion and a dag, all rolled into one.

He has done so much to raise awareness of our native animals. Sad day.

roz

Great_White
04-09-2006, 05:59 PM
What a sad loss :'( :'( :'(

Taken too soon, a great man who didn't let fame and money change the person :'( :'( :'(

All the best Steve you will never be replaced and forever missed :'( :'( :'(

Peter :'( :'( :'(

mitch_05
04-09-2006, 06:13 PM
R.I.P Steve Irwin

what a tragedy. he truely was a great aussie icon. condolences to his family and staff at the zoo

onerabbit
04-09-2006, 06:19 PM
[quote author=roz link=1157344236/45#53 date=1157356629]
He was a champion and a dag, all rolled into one.

Couldn't have said it better Roz.

I'm still in awe of the million to 1 chance to go that way, someone said earlier that it was the first ray fatality in Oz.
Does anyone know how big the ray was?

So sorry for his family, he will be greatly missed.

DICER
04-09-2006, 06:19 PM
The guy leaves behind a legacy.

I wish it were only a blooper, tragically it's not.

My sympathy goes out to his family.

Grand_Marlin
04-09-2006, 06:31 PM
It feels like a death in our own family :'(

It is surreal that one single man, a proud, passionate Aussie, can have an influence so strong on people, that his untimely passing has literally stopped the world.

When we travelled in America, we were constantly asked "Do you know the Crocodile Hunter?"
When we replied that "Steve lives just up the road from us" We were considered legends too :)
It made you feel so proud to be Australian, all because of one man.

Thank you Steve, for the entertainment and awareness you have given us on so many issues.

Your spirit will be with us forever, as will your DVD's - our kids love them :)

Our deepest sympathy to Steve's family and close colleagues.

It just doesn't seem believable.

Pete & Family

freddyfish
04-09-2006, 06:34 PM
RIP Steve

2fishy
04-09-2006, 06:41 PM
who would of thought he would of went like this.....RIP Steve

Foolish_Chicken
04-09-2006, 06:42 PM
A sad day for a remarkable australian. My condolances to his family and friends.

wessel
04-09-2006, 06:50 PM
You were of a rare breed Steve, you did it your way and always with passion. You were given oppertunities in your life and you made good use of them in promoting understanding and insight into the natural wonders of this world.

For that we salute you. Your name and legacy will live on through what you have left behind.

The Irwin family has lost a son, a husband and a father. The world has lost a true man.
May the pain of the loss fade over time, and may the memories of Steve stay with us forever.

Wess

onmyown123
04-09-2006, 06:54 PM
I am totally gutted by the news, a magnificent ambassador for Australia. A man who knew what he was talking about. Will be missed. :'(

Nathanrb4
04-09-2006, 07:03 PM
i grew up watching steve on tv. i can still remember going to school the day after his show was first shown in CQ, it was all anyone could talk about. australia has lost a great ambassador! my thoughts go out to his family and inparticular his kids! here`s hoping only good comes from this tragety. the world has lost one of its real good guys! #:'(

bballfisho
04-09-2006, 07:09 PM
what a sad day :'( :'( :'(
he was a great Austalian , Man , Naturist, Conservationist, father and friend of animals
may he be rembered for the great things he has done for the country and the world.

its a sad day in australia but he died doing what he loved

R.I.P steve

may your memory live on.

marlinqld
04-09-2006, 07:12 PM
A sad loss........ironic that he was filming for a documentary he was making on The Ocean Killers.................

His legacy will stay with us forever

MIke

subzero
04-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Steve Irwin, today you became a true legend

History today marks the passing of a great conservationist, lariken and "All round Australian" with the highest level of respect and deservedly so

To the Irwin family, the Nation mourn's your loss, we also mourn our own loss.
Godspeed Steve :'( :'(

snappa
04-09-2006, 07:31 PM
....bugga...

i regard this as equal to the headlines for elvis, diana, and the twin towers... :'(

in my time ...

backhoe
04-09-2006, 07:37 PM
Steve epitomised the Australian characteristics of having a go and sticking up for what you believe in. We may not have always agreed with him or his actions but you can't fault his enthusiasm for life and love of his family, country and the world surrounding him and the sincere way that he expressed this.
Sincere condolences to his friends and family.

stubbie
04-09-2006, 07:51 PM
True blue aussie legend!!! RIP Steve!!!

strongy
04-09-2006, 07:55 PM
Looks like he was needed somewhere else , a sad loss for us and bigger loss for his family :'(

snapperm8
04-09-2006, 08:01 PM
yer what a stunner to see such a good bloke go

even if he was doing something he loved :'( :'( :'(

fishingbarry
04-09-2006, 08:06 PM
To his Family, stay strong and be thankfull for the time you had with Steve and we thank you for sharing your great aussie with us.R.I.P Croc Hunter may your dreams live on. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Cheers
Barry & Family

foggy
04-09-2006, 08:10 PM
Larger than life is the only way to describe this gentlman. Met him on day at Double Island. He was up surfing with his mates. Talked to him for a good hour. The nicest guy one could ever meet. I still remember when I first saw him surfing up there. he was in his carquays and work boots. Funniest thing I ever saw.

Thoughts are with family and friends especially Bindi as she was there.

Graham

fishin_till_late
04-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Only the good die young......

I hope that they establish some sort of Steve Irwin day, a nationwide or even international enviornmental day. #It would be a great way for people to remember him for many years to come.

RIP steve

Our thoughts are with his family too

jono

krazyfisher
04-09-2006, 08:20 PM
hard to believe
1 of only 2 to die like this in australia
1 of only 17 in the world report to die like this.

with these odds he was more than a one in a million.

A great australian

craftycarp
04-09-2006, 08:23 PM
Australia lost a great man today and Steves family lost a great father.

woody74
04-09-2006, 08:26 PM
SAD SAD SAD :'( :'( :'(, didn't ever get to meet the great man, great shame my oldest son 4 years, will never get the chance as well, he absolutely adored him. I once went to a fancy dress party dressed in the getup, workboots and mullet wig, son {Kayden} saw me and wouldn't let me leave the house without carrying on like those idiots on the footy show used to. He will be sorely missed. RIP Steve, all of the woody clan send our sincere condolences to his family,workmates,and his fans. CHEERS woody.

eggbeater
04-09-2006, 08:30 PM
What a empty feeling it has left. I'd like to thank him for the great memories & the entertainment he has provided for my two kids,from the Wiggles DVD to the many trips to his zoo.We have lost a legend.
R.I.P Steve..........Go look after Slim

boat_1
04-09-2006, 08:33 PM
I met Steve quite a few times when i worked at Brisbane Airport, even after hours of flying he would always be very polite & chat to you for a while, if only more people where like him. #:'( #:'(

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # ##RIP
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #We have lost a true Aussie legend!!!

Slient
04-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Pay tribute to Steve Irwin
& we will always remember you...

Remo
04-09-2006, 08:49 PM
Truly Sad,

I offer my condolences to his family, and friends.

He's one in a million.

stevedemon
04-09-2006, 08:54 PM
Hi all
my wife thought we where joking where she was told he had been killed by a stringray till the news break she has met him a few time when she was working with kids but as said like him, love him, or hate him either way he did do a lot for the environment, kids around the world but also love to be a rewal aussie larakin inside and outside of work but most of all love his work and family :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

he will be sadly missed by a lot of people but more so by his wife, 2 children family members, and friends

myself never ventured to the sunshine coast zoo but i did venture to the reptile
park at Gosford on the central coast N.S.W a few times over 30 years ago to see some nasty little critters

but his legarcy will live on through his wife and children he was out filming so footage for his daughter documentary and doing what he loved to do especially for his family

Our sincere thoughts are with his family and friends Steve Erwin will be missed

Stevedemon and wife Mary :'( :'( :'( :'(

Birdy
04-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Huge loss...........no one else is like him on the planet,one of a kind.

R.I.P. Steve

Birdy

Splitpin
04-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Crikey Steve ,Who are we going to take the piss out of now ...Bugger ..........
All jokes aside ,We have lost a really great guy ...My thoughts go out to Steves family ...... R.I.P Steve ..1962>>>>>>>2006 ....

tiges
04-09-2006, 09:11 PM
Bumped into him a few times in the surf over the yrs, and he was always super enthusiastic and friendly. Considering he probably got hassled every where he went. Loved his surfing like he loved his work with animals. A massive loss to Australia and the whole world, and even more so his family.

:(regards Tiges

revs57
04-09-2006, 09:14 PM
Tragedy, Tragedy, Tragedy...we've lost a truely unique bloke, and Terry and kids have lost a truely devoted husband and father...Sadly missed by all

sincere sympathy

Rhys

Obi___Wan
04-09-2006, 09:31 PM
BLOODY HELL!!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT, Steve was invincible!

Feel so sorry for the little ones, i know what it is like to have to grow up without a father.

Australia has lost a Great Aussie

My Thoughts and Prayers go out to the Family.

R.I.P. Steve.

All should remember we are here for a good time not a long time, at least we was doing what he loved.

John.

screamin_reels
04-09-2006, 09:35 PM
all of australia has lost a dead set champion today.. if only the combined sadness of all of australia could ease the pain of his own wife and kids....

shite.... one in a million bloke and a one in a million incident....who'd a thunk it

noluck
04-09-2006, 09:39 PM
I feel so sorry for his family
it is big lost for everybody :'(

no_luck

eimeo
04-09-2006, 09:46 PM
RIP Steve
The world is now a lot poorer off
we have lost one of our greatest treasures
My thoughts and sympathies go to his family and friends
What a devasting tragedy

dave

MrLuminous
04-09-2006, 09:48 PM
One good thing about it, is he lost his life doing what he loved doing, and that is filming animals and their reactions and showing it to the rest of the world, definately a aussie icon we will miss
Rest in peace mate

Lumo

Scalem
04-09-2006, 09:52 PM
To Quote so many,

"He was too young to die"

For me being only 1 year older than Steve makes me feel like life has so much more to give, when I think of all the things Steve was actively involved in, when at the age of 44, you would never beleive he was going to slow down for anybody.. Proves we are all mortal, live each day as if it is your last as I am sure he did. God bless you Steve, and my prayers are with his family.

Scalem

john_laura
04-09-2006, 10:38 PM
Very sad day today indeed, Australia has lost and icon and his family has lost and husband and father.

Our thoughts and paryers go out to family and friends.

RIP Steve

John

el_carpo
04-09-2006, 11:05 PM
This is so sad! I just heard about it a few minutes ago. I was pouring the morning cup of coffee and listening to the radio when they reported it on the news. WHAT?! NO! Was all I could say. I can't believe he's gone. It doesn't seem real.

He was one of a kind and will be HUGELY missed by everyone around the world. People genuinely loved him. In the "celebrity world" it seems like everyone is uncaring, selfish, ego-maniacle, crude, crass, and fake as a three dollar bill but not Steve Irwin. He always was positive, giving, kind, caring, passionate, and real. When he would appear on the talk shows over here, he would show us animals from around the world and you could tell he really cared about them and wanted to let folks know about them.

The mention of his name was ususally enough to put a smile on someone's face. That's pretty rare. It was because he was such a positive, upbeat, likeable person. It would be hard to think of something bad to say about him and if you could, you wouldn't want to say it.

Big, big loss for Australia and the world. Just a sad day.

the_baker
04-09-2006, 11:11 PM
Here is to you Steve the death of a living legend

This quote comes to mind and I feel it to be fitting, as it sums Steve up & his passion.

It is not the critic who counts-not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled.
Or where the doer could have done better. the credit belongs to the man who is actually
in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweet and blood. Who strives valiantly, who
errs and comes up short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great
devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause..... who, at the least knows, in the end,
the triumph of high achievement. And who, at the worst ,if he fails, at least fails while doing
greatly , so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither
victory nor defeat. # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #Theodore Roosevelt

Our hearts go to the Irwin family

Dave.

BennyJ
04-09-2006, 11:25 PM
Lost for words, Australia we have lost a great Australian
RIP Steve Irwin

puks
05-09-2006, 12:10 AM
when my mother in law called me to tell me i thought she was joking

i have to admit i didnt like him much couldnt stand his shows
BUT i respect and appreciated his work for conservation and putting australia on the big map
and his zoo is the best zoo i ever have seen
it is very sad
australia did loose an icon he was for real and fair dinkum
and my best wishes go out to his family and friends

jibby
05-09-2006, 12:19 AM
At a time when we need positive role models for our kids to look up to something like this happens. This is a terrible tragedy for the Irwin's and for all Australians. May we all learn one thing from this and that is to live each day as if it's your last.

May he R.I.P.

reelcrazy
05-09-2006, 05:18 AM
Sad day - just heard - my yankee father in law introduced me to Steve's show on the Animal Planet network way back in '97 - he loved Steve's show, wanted to know if all Aussie's were like Steve.

My reply was that there were far too bloody few, and now there is one less to make the "cultured" cringe.

Heartfelt condolences to his loved ones.

goat
05-09-2006, 06:22 AM
very very sad

griz066
05-09-2006, 06:36 AM
A big loss for Australia :'(

CHRIS_aka_GWH
05-09-2006, 07:09 AM
i can only add something that many may not know,

Steve was a very well published researcher with over 2 dozen scientific papers to his name - he was also sponsor of the same donating millions to university phD programs and of his own time and eqipment. His pockets were very deep and he had a knack for educating from the very young to adults.

His legacy is one of appreciation thru interaction not segregation. We will protect things that we enjoy, use, understand and have contact with.

He was a waterman - there's another star over the ocean tonight.

chris

seafarer3
05-09-2006, 07:34 AM
I'm so sad for the loss of Steve's life & especially his family's loss
Live on through our memories Steve Irwin....Goodbye :'(

Cheers
Scott

maztez
05-09-2006, 07:47 AM
Heres to STEVE IRWIN he gave so much to this world and has left a void by his passing .Our condolances go to his family his friends and the people of the world .He has touched so many .
VALE STEVE (CRIKEY)IRWIN
Terry and Marilyn :'( :'(

Vic1
05-09-2006, 07:48 AM
Enough rope with Andrew Denton just did a special on him last night with an interview they recorded a few years back.......what a truly excellent human being. Australia lost one it's few real leaders yesterday

My wife and I are truly devastated with the news and hope his family show the typical Irwin determination to carry on his good work.........

R.I.P

megan
05-09-2006, 07:50 AM
Although I did not know, somehow I felt that I did as you beamed your energy through my TV.

Your legend will live on through your kids and knowledge you shared with the world - a very sad loss to all, especially your family.

R.I.P Steve - god speed.... :'(

SMB
05-09-2006, 08:03 AM
Sad, sad day, great ambassador for Australia and wildlife conservation, feel for his family and young ones.

richos
05-09-2006, 09:19 AM
sad news. Out of all the dangerous animals steve handles, who would have picked it would be a stingray to end his life:( . What a real champion he was. Thoughts go out to his friends and family.
R.I.P Steve

bdowdy
05-09-2006, 09:20 AM
rip a true blue bloke :'(

Pilchard
05-09-2006, 10:16 AM
:'( RIP Steve Irwin we loved and needed you (from the peolple and the animals).

Steve_Monckton
05-09-2006, 02:04 PM
I met the man at his zoo 5 years back and you could not find more down to earth fair dinkum aussie character. Our thoughts and sympathy go to all his family and extended family. Australia has lost a true icon and gentleman. steve.

SunnyCoastMark
05-09-2006, 02:23 PM
I work in Beerwah - just up the road from Australia Zoo. We have supplied many trailers to Australia Zoo - I've never spoken to Steve, but I've worked closely with his management team and I know how devastated they would be. I saw Terri walking (waddling) around Woolies when she was about 9 months pregnant with little Bob - just one of the locals. Fantastic people.

Our phone rang yesterday luchtime with news of Steve's death - and then we had about 10 calls in a row with people letting us know.

Everyone here is just stunned. I've been past the Zoo a couple of times today and it's a real media frenzy. - There are tents, generators, satellite set ups. Journo's are camped everywhere.

They have done a lot for the Beerwah community, and the Sunny Coast.

Steve was greatly loved and will be greatly missed. :'(

Mark

Sportfish_5
05-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Very sad news - we have lost a great Australian but more tragic is the loss of a father to a young family.

What is amazing is how many people he touched over the world. Have a look around most fishing/boating forums around the US and there are posts in tribute to him. I think we had only a limited perception on just how popular he was internationally especially in the US despite the denton interviews.

His work will go on and I hope his family can work through this together and get to the other side.

Another good man gone :'(

Big_Ren
05-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Totally gut-wrenching. All my thoughts and prayers to the family and ditto to everyone's comments.

Paul

FISHERGIRL69
05-09-2006, 03:43 PM
:'( I still cannot believe Steve is gone, myself & my family were devistated when we heard of the news, it was like losing a family member. An absolute Legend & Hero, a man who will be missed by millions. My heart and prayers goes out to Terri, Bindi, Bob & Family, Steve was such an amazing man who worked so hard in life to preserve our countries natural beauty and he will be a great loss to our wildlife which loved him also. Thanks Steve for all you have done, you will be dearly missed. A good man gone.

Braddles
05-09-2006, 05:44 PM
My thoughts and prayers to Terri, Bindi and Bob. A terrible tragedy for any family - especially a man such as Steve who is an Aussie icon known and loved internationally. I hope Terri, Bindy and Bob have the strength to carry on with Steve's dream - the animals need you too RIP mate #:'(

Graysea
05-09-2006, 06:28 PM
:'( :'( :'( :'(We can only hope that he is looking down and enjoying the amazing effect he had on our lives and how his legacy out of his huge respect will continue. RIP Steve and may God Bless your family and
friends

Sea-Dog
05-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Does anyone think a 'State Funeral' is out of the question?

It would allow the people of Australia to share in thier feelings of grief and show thier sympathy for the family.

I didn't have much time for the hype, but I must say I like the bloke's drive and commitment to a cause that he believed in.

If they could bottle it - I'd stand in a queue for some.

- Sea-Dog

lark2004
05-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Terrible for his family :'(

However, I don't believe he would like to see people morning him and getting upset over his death like this.

He knew that one day he would die, he said as much, "one day the risk's I take will catch up with me"

I believe we should be celebrating his life and acheivments, and doing what ever we can to continue his work, regardless of how big or small

MickSA
05-09-2006, 09:00 PM
R.I.P."Croc Hunter" # :'(

I find it a very difficult time to articulate a suitable response to this tragic and very sad news as hearing this news was like hearing of the death of a really great friend.

My family was in the early stages of planning our next family holiday after this upcoming one to Perth and one of ideas raised by my son was to go and visit Australia Zoo and with a little planning meet Steve and his family, you see my son from a very young age idolized Steve and would run to the TV whenever the croc hunter was on, personally i didn't like his movie very much but my son had to have it on DVD, this loss is devastating for him and my family who forgive steve for the silly little things he did very quickly and appreciate what steve brought to us as a family who loved the ocker aspect of his personality. Australia has lost a true champion and a bloody good bloke today folks, have no doubt about that.

My deepest sympathy and condolences to Steve's Wife Terri and Children Bindi Sue and Robert Clarence "Bob" .

Here is a little history on Steve Irwin aka "The Croc Hunter"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Irwin

Mick Brennan and Family #:'(

Homer_Jay
05-09-2006, 10:26 PM
Just a huge shock.
If you agreed with him or not, he was still a top bloke who did everything he belived in and didnt care what everyone else thought. I just whish I had the same enthusiasm and enjoyment in life that he had. I think the people who would knock him were only jealous of the fact that he loved what he did and made good money from it in the end. He was good for queensland tourism and he was a good ambassador for the environment. The thing was when it come to the environment he wasnt the typical greeny who always wanted to ban everything. He could see both sides to the story and just wanted a fair outcome.
I am sure if he could have one thing to say to the world now it would be "dont blame the stingray, the little fella was just a bit scared and tried to protect himself"........ but krikey it hurt!

Condolences to his family.

Will miss you Steve.................. :(

Just goes to show, enjoy every day and make the most of life. You just dont know what tomorrow brings

woolybugger
06-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Steve is definately an Aussie character we will miss.

Many years ago, I worked as a bodyguard in East Timor and had the priveledge to meet Steve and his crew when he was there to move a Salt crock into a larger pen in a church, you might of seen the documentary.

Anyway, I had never seen a man with soooo much passion, integrity and full of life. He definately put a big smile on alot of peoples faces up there and does when ever he comes into contact with anyone.

He will be missed...

krause69
06-09-2006, 05:31 PM
i thought out of any animal that a croc whould of killed him but a stingray instead but a very good bloke lost

cheers krause

Black_Rat
06-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Australia looses another Aussie Icon RIP Steve :(

Murks
06-09-2006, 11:01 PM
why is it that only the good die young :'(
My deepest condolences to all his family and friends
Brett

Sean
06-09-2006, 11:41 PM
:'( :'( :'( :'(\