PDA

View Full Version : Legal Lengths

jerson
10-09-2006, 03:16 PM
I went shopping at a seafood outlet at Capalaba today, they had whole squire on ice with a sign saying local fresh snapper. These fish would have been 250mm maximum in length. How do these outlets get around size restrictions. Pro fishers are governed by the same rules aren't they?

imported_admin
10-09-2006, 03:24 PM
What did the Fisheries Hotline say when you rang them to report it?

jerson
10-09-2006, 03:35 PM
I thought maybe they obtain the fish from interstate or internationally were legal lengths could be different, then there only misrepresenting there place of origin.

chrisfish
10-09-2006, 06:26 PM
I often see under sized fish in the supermarket and just assume those things are raised in aquaculture tanks. Like the 'whole barra' you see in restaurants.

Heno
10-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Dont know if this still applies but many years ago the term "local" was refering to "Australian". It did not differentciate (spelling?) between states or territories. Basically a common fish species from lets say Moreton bay commonly known as a grassy sweetlip could be sold as a red throaght emporer in another region like Melbourne ( for arguments sake ) at a premium price and still be called " local " Fish . This may well have changed by now but this how it used to work. if this still applies it may explain the sizes. As long as a supplier can provide proof of origin for the fish and comply with size limits applicable to the area they can be sold as " local " anywhere in Australia. I am happy to stand corrected on this as the rules of sale may well have changed. Alternatetivley if they are farmed fish no size limits apply.

onerabbit
10-09-2006, 07:21 PM
Legal length for snaps in NSW is 30cm, we never keep them that small.

Muzz

Hornblower
10-09-2006, 10:48 PM
These days Local probably means South East Asia >:( >:( >:( >:(

aussiefool
11-09-2006, 03:11 AM
Had a simular prob with NSW fisheries when I rang and asked what the go was with a local fish and chip shop selling undersized Jew .... well the excuses that flowed out of the guy's mouth :'( like a well rehearsed script. We got talking about "What if" ... What if I bought it and stoped for a fish on the way home and had the bought fish in my eski.... and was told that I had to prove that I had bought it or I would be done for having a under sized fish......

Some of the excuses were that Fisheries gave me were that there were 3 different fishing zones Qld, NSW and Aust. (all with different sizes).In NSW Pro fishermen were allowed to keep a certain amount of undersized fish as by-catch ( by no way to police it) To me the fisheries bloke knew where I was comming from but could not do anything to stop it from happening

threadfin_jim
11-09-2006, 03:41 PM
I don;t think they can get them from interstate or elsewhere because i know for certain that you can;t sell female mud crabs in Qld even though they are legal to catch in NT

fish2eat
11-09-2006, 05:32 PM
I saw the same thing at the Action supermarket at Cannon Hill yesterday, undersize squire. However, with fish sizes, there is no law against selling undersize fish in Qld that have been caught elsewhere. It is true in the fish trade that "local" means "Australia" and "imported" means rest of the world