PDA

View Full Version : Panic! How it Works and What To Do About It

charleville
07-09-2006, 10:44 PM
After my adventure in a sudden 30 knot rain squall in my tinnie at Mud Island last week, one of my sons has sent me an article on the subject of panic which may be useful to share especially in the interests of boating safety.

The article is really written for an audience of IT people but it is an interesting short read. The bottom line is "train, train, train."

http://www.asktog.com/columns/066Panic!.html

gunnabuild1
09-09-2006, 07:58 PM
Interesting read, dying of embarrassment ouch! 30 knot rain squall in a tinnie do you get time to panic or just cling on for grim death!

charleville
09-09-2006, 11:57 PM
30 knot rain squall in a tinnie do you get time to panic or just cling on for grim death!

No time for nuthin', mate! Took a while to wind down that night after I got home, though. ;)

garpe
10-09-2006, 07:25 AM
Good read
cheers

wessel
10-09-2006, 11:27 PM
Good read, thank you for passing it on.

Wess

webby
11-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Usually a few black cans gets rid of the Panic :P
regards

seatime
11-09-2006, 08:11 PM
Zafodbeetlebox (something like that) was a character off Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, he had sunglasses that would turn completely black when confronted with danger and the chance of panicking.
If you can't see it, it can't scare you.
Closing your eyes and putting your hands over your ears and yelling no, no, no, may also work. :)

Big_Ren
12-09-2006, 02:20 PM
What a great read mate. After your recent Bay experience, you could probably relate very well to that article. We learn something about ourselves everyday don't way. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Paul

charleville
13-09-2006, 12:40 PM
#After your recent Bay experience, you could probably relate very well to that article.

Yeah mate. I have not been out since that trip but that is due to the poor weather that we have had on weekdays not my being gun-shy about boating after that trip.

Nonetheless, I keep thinking about what my next boat might look like. ;D my little Quintrex 4.75m runabout with its 60hp 4 stroke Merc is really great but when conditions are tough it would be nice to be able to stay dry.

The message about continuing to train is a good one, though. The conditions change just soooo quickly.