PDA

View Full Version : Do you release fish in a different location????

aussiefool
06-09-2006, 11:44 AM
I ask this as last Saturday I was watching Ifish and Paul & Lee were fishing with Bushie and catching some large Black Bream (claimed to be 30 yo), anyway they put them it to the live tank while fishing as not to spook other fish in the area, That I can understand but they then moved 20 odd km's to fish a different river and did not release the fish till they had finished fishing for the day in a totally different area to where the fish were caught.
Do you do anything similar ??? and if so Why???

the reason I ask is the way I see it the fish have been removed from their particular structure and food sauce and may even introduce bacteria to a different part of the river.

So is it ok for you #to do this or not .

I have nothing bad to say about Paul, Lee and Bushie just want some feed back on what you think

Aussiefool
Andrew

SeaHunt
06-09-2006, 12:15 PM
I pull them up from the bottom and let them go on top of the water. ;D

Seriously though, I saw the same show, they were still in the same system as such.
I don't think bream are that territorial otherwise they would not be so wide spread.

What about the 225 Evinrude on Bushies bream boat?

fisha_4_lyf_1989
06-09-2006, 02:05 PM
my thought is that the only reason they kept them all untill the end of the day is that they could show viewers how many they had caught.
typical bushy :D
always talkin up his squidgys ;)
but then again.....
SO DO I!

Fisha

snapperm8
06-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Well mayb that they wanted to keep there biggest for a feast or for some pictures so they fish all day and at the end the find there biggest let the others ;D ;D just a thought lol :P

fisha_4_lyf_1989
06-09-2006, 02:16 PM
haha.
i would say your pretty close.
you gotta love bushy ;D

Jitlands
06-09-2006, 02:33 PM
Once caught a scorpion cod off Caloundra, pulled up in the blue hole to clean the catch on the way back to the ramp and the barstard was still kicking. Let him go in the passage
That arvo bloke comes int the club for a beer and tells us he caught a scorpion cod in the blue hole???

fisha_4_lyf_1989
06-09-2006, 02:39 PM
wow!
thats crazy!
should have stole it back of him ;D

chrisfish
06-09-2006, 05:31 PM
I don't have a live tank so put them back straight away but reckon keeping them till later in the day and then releasing the smaller ones sounds probable. I would not have thought 20kms or so would make a difference to bacteria in the water, that's the sort of thing you hear about in relation to tankers releasing water they've carried as ballast for thousands of kilometres (a reason for some pretty severe damage to the great lakes system in the USA as foreign ships used to dump water near Chicago with all sorts of new parasites and creatures from the atlantic or pacific in it), or using imported prawns as bait.

onerabbit
06-09-2006, 06:24 PM
I agree with aussiefool,

These fish would have been released in a completely alien environment, they may not have gone that far in a lifetime.

My point being, when re-locating other native fauna, eg snakes, possums , other undesirables, they still need to be released in more-or-less the same area. Otherwise, they dont know where they are, or how to relate to the locals ( if you know what I mean), & wont usually survive.

I can only imagine that fish suffer the same territorial problems.

Muzz

choppa
06-09-2006, 09:32 PM
now i'm sorry for posting this,,,,

but didn't i read somewhere that fish only have a 10 minute memory,,,,and if its longer,,, why do they eat flesh bait,,,

is it because they've forgotten who there relatives are,,,,,after all they do attend schools all there lives,,

cant be too smart

Jim_Byrne
06-09-2006, 09:46 PM
Choppa,
got a pet Jack at 6cm and kept him for 5 years in a big tank, and I am sure he had more than a 10 minute memory. I also kept 2 Barra, and found they weren't nearly as intelligent.

Maybe some species of fish are 'smarter' than others??

Cheers

Jim

choppa
06-09-2006, 10:00 PM
jim,,,,if i kept you in a tank from the same time,,,,i'm sure you could recall each and every piece of sand as well,,,,

throw the same fish into a 500,000 ltr water tank ,,,,,he wont be to anxious performing the same tricks,,,,

a report on sunfish shows a fish that holds a record as the most caught and released,,, i think its up to 12 or so times,,,, the original fisho who caught it,,,and tagged it,,, must be getting tired of the certificates by know surely,,,,,,

hang on,,,most caught and released by the same angler,,,he must have one of yor tanks jim ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Braddles
06-09-2006, 10:25 PM
We always keep our catch alive in the live well (unless gut hooked they are cleaned and iced immediately) in the event we only catch a small number of fish that killing them isnt worth it - so we let them go either at the ramp or the last spot when we pull in our lines. Removing them from their habbitat and letting them go to swim around in a new one is surely better than killing them when its hardly enough for a feed... Most recent example was fishing at mud, we had a parrot fish, a flat head and a cod - and we were so tired and hardly a feed for 4, so we let them go in the Brissy River... I did feel bad about the Parrot especially being a pretty reef fish, but then the number and quality of snapper coming out of the river of late, the parrot must be ok there too. I do it with bream too - as to me 23cm although legal isnt worth the mess for the amount of meat - so we do keep them incase we get 10 or so , but otherwise as the bigger come aboard, the smaller ones are released alive and healthy.

choppa
06-09-2006, 10:56 PM
i think the jist of the post is ""does releasing a fish out of its enviroment that it was caught in"" have any detrimental effect on the fish????

answer is simple

if the fish is territorial/reliant on habitat,,,,,,i think yes

if not,,,,no

my post re ""tagging"" shows this over and over,,,,

you would be surprised on the distance,,, and enviromental changes a fish can be in one system today,,,,and not tomorrow,,,including some reefies

GES
07-09-2006, 01:15 AM
I know this is not what was asked in the post ... but, for what it's worth ... don't be tempted to keep undersized fish, anywhere in your boat, with a view to releasing them later in the day.
The law requires that they be released IMMEDIATELY into the water because it is an offence to be found "in possession" of undersized fish.

GES

chrisfish
07-09-2006, 06:43 AM
I think we all mean 'small' as in above the legal minimum but not up to our personal standards of keepable. There are other threads where Ausfishers discuss merits of keeping barely above minimum size fish.

VoodooChile78
08-09-2006, 02:05 PM
I've always put back fish I wasn't keeping in the same area as I have caught them...I've never then not caught anymore fish cause they were "spooked". Hell I have seen fish following up other fish that are hooked! I have even snorkelled in the area and then fished the same area...no problems.

My opinion is that if you catch them there you put them back there...if you move them too far away they might not find their usual food, shelter etc

At the end of the day I guess it is better to release them...no matter where you put them, beats just killing them.

Mike L.

freddyfish
08-09-2006, 03:33 PM
Eventually ...I guess

ele-phrez
10-09-2006, 08:33 PM
as long as you release them I don't care

4x4frog
10-09-2006, 09:23 PM
FWIW...I saw a Rexy episode filmed on Lake McDonald near Cooroy and the guy they used as a guide did the same thing. He motored off a couple of hundred metres or so and released the catch and went back to the good spot and started fishing again. Until I saw this a couple of months ago I never even entertained the thought. Makes sense I suppose. It would be hard to pinpoint truth though because you could put a difference in catch down to different days or anything. :-/

aussiefool
11-09-2006, 03:14 AM
thanks for the feed back everyone

smee
13-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Thats a good point we release taged fish at the BOYNE TANNUM HOOKUP and get them come back to ther original place of capture i can get statistics if you like as we have data from when we started. regards smee