PDA

View Full Version : Imported Rubbish Fish.....%#@&^%*$@

marlinqld
12-09-2006, 05:10 PM
I just went up to Woolies to pick up stuff for dinner tonight.

Browsing through the frozen foods section, thought maybe, just maybe they might have started stocking good old aussie fish.

WRONGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Full of imported stuff....most of which is Basa...... what junk. Do we not have any aussie fish left? Even in their fresh food deli..... prawns....imported....mix of imported and local...... and the part i laugh at ...THAWED FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE :o ::)...... cheap frozen low quality junk........ the world has gone mad i tell ya.

When ya cant even BUY a decent piece of fish, let alone catch one ;) ::)

Even when you go to the fish and chip shop and buy a piece of fish and 2 bucks of chips, chances are you aint getting what you ordered and paid for. Is the cod COD? Is the barra really barra? I would say alot of the time NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

fair dunkum...... i shake me head........ OLD SUBJECT I KNOW, BUT HAD TO LET IT OUT

Multi nationals and their greed for the almighty dollar and profits are to blame for alot of it :(

My 2 cents worth anyway

Mike

tunaman
12-09-2006, 05:12 PM
:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

signed tunaman

littlejim
12-09-2006, 05:19 PM
hey mike,

don't get too upset. What you saw means there are more Aussie fish left in the water for you to catch. I get more upset when I go to the fish shop and see them selling good Aussie fish much smaller than the ones I have to put back in the water or risk the confiscation of all my gear.

somebody is farming Barra commercially so maybe the risk of fake Barra is dropping. Certainly in the past there was plenty of the fake stuff around.

round here the proper fishmonger has plenty of commercially caught local fish. I think Woolies etc are catering for a different price range.

marlinqld
12-09-2006, 05:21 PM
What id basa anyway?

read this, enough to turn you off dinner......

http://www.duncanmargetts.com/blog/?p=525

Mike

tunaman
12-09-2006, 05:32 PM
seriously! I think this is a good thing. Let the world run out of their
resources, and in the future the world will be coming to us, as someone said, our fish stocks will grow and thrive. Notradamas said in his predictions that a country deep in the south will be the only one left for man to inhabit, and where the new world will begin.
Just some food for thought.

signed tunaman

Herm
12-09-2006, 05:45 PM
Ohhhh.....!!!! Mike! This is one of my pet hates! >:(

Our Woolies (Birkdale) so close to the water - yet stocks the mosts horrific looking product :o(I am not even going to call it "seafood" :() We walk through the area to get to the meat section and everytime I can't believe that people actually buy that stuff! Surely people can see that it is not *$&%&* :-X - words fail me!!!

Having been lucky enough to have eaten fresh seafood all of my life (Mum and Dad having a house at Caloundra!) I am very fussy with my seafood purchasing! But I would hope that even someone that does not know much about seafood, should realise that you can get better quality than what they are offering! And it is not just our local Woolies, when staying with Mum and Dad, the Coles stores up there have about the same quality product! :o

Needless to say that when ordering fish and chips I am normally really fussy and only order snapper. or something similar (but I know that I am really putting my faith in the store that "that" fish is actually what I am getting!) :-/ So other than catching it yourself and cooking it - how do you really know?? :-?But the other night we tried out a new little fish and chip that has just opened and I ordered "reef fish" well - it tasted beautiful! really enjoyed it - and Pete who will eat any sort of fish - even commented on how nice it was! and then a couple of hours later my tounge started to tingle and when washing the dishes my hands started too! :( I just hope that it was not a really, really, really mild case of cigutera! symptoms only lasted a couple of days and then back to as normal - as I was! ;) :)

Cheers
;)Janine

snappa
12-09-2006, 06:13 PM
can some one help

there was a link showing bassa packed over seas in veitman..

i cannt find it now .....

stevedemon
12-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Hi all
i have not been buying fish for years now the only time we eat fish at home is when i get to go fishing due to the facts the last time i purchase fish from a seafood store it tasted like :-/ :-X :-? :( well you have the picture

it is a shame as we have some of the best tasting fish in the world but once again price is the factor and i will stick to catching my own as then i do no it is fresh not sitting for who knows how long or if it has been thawed

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

Poodroo
12-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Well this is my 2 cents worth. Go out and enjoy catching them yourself. Much more fun and at least you know what the fillets of fish are on your plate. If need be you can go to the local fish and chip shop and still order your $2 worth of chips and simply bring them home to compliment your fresh caught fish. If you have a bad day out on the water and catch nothing then you will simply just have to have chip sanga's. ;D ;D

Poodroo

2fishy
12-09-2006, 06:29 PM
yeah there is definitly alot of dodge fish being sold these days, in supermarkets and fish n chip shops.
But there are still some good places, went to a fish n chip shop while in noosa on holidays, they had coral trout, dollies and other reef fish (filleted and in the window, picked what you wanted) and to my suprise it was actually fresh, the fillets were clear and all. not white like they are in most places.

shubeej
12-09-2006, 06:37 PM
mate i agree if the shops want to sell the imported fish let them my only concern is that more than likely our fish and prawns are being exported cause they are of such a high standard & they get such a high price for them . a shame isnt it that we have to put up with it .
shubee

Great_White
12-09-2006, 07:08 PM
Mike some of the stuff they are trying to sell, I wouldn't even use for bait #:( :( :(

I don't know why they can't set up fish farms instead of importing carp oops crap imported fish. No offence to "el carpo"

Peter.

freddyfish
12-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Blame the morons from the "whatever is cheap is good " brigade . Woolies wouldn't sell it if they didn't have a huge market. They are not that dumb . Said it before on Ausfish but an insider form Pick n Pay said they sell tons and tons on Vanamei prawns at xmas because they are cheap.

Cheers
Brad

NEWBY
12-09-2006, 07:56 PM
when I recently bought my Bertram in Cooktown and sailed her down to Gkadstone (March 06) I was stuck in the Endevour river for 3 days while cyclone Larry went through. To cut a long story short, I was having a few drinks with a couple of the local trout fishermen. One of them, the skipper, was telling me they get up to $90 per kilo for live trout then it is shipped to China who pay up to $300.00 a kilo for it. Our really good prawns suffer the fate and in the west, where my brothers fathinlaw is a cray fisherman, well, ya guessed it, exported. Now I know we need our exports and the world seems to pay plenty for our seafood but honestly, why the hell do the multi nationals import this crap for us to eat? I am guilty of buying supposedly LARGE bannana prawns from woolies and they are stuffed after 1 day in the fridge. Dont know if you have noticed or not but the "thawed for your convenience"prawns DO NOT have a use by date. I am of the belief that ALL food must have a use by date. As far as I am aware, it is the law. Needs some checking. My wife confronted this issue at woolies and they said that they dont put use by dates anymore. They just out a packed on date. Once again, i think I need to do a bit of checking on the law and maybe drop a dime.

chrisfish
12-09-2006, 08:10 PM
I thought most high quality Australian food went overseas where people will pay a lot more for it, particularly in Asia, where there are people who can afford to, anda re willing to pay a fortune for good food. Doesn't a top notch steak cost about $200AUD in Japan? The domestic market cannot match the prices so we get the lower grade Oz food or the imported stuff in its place. That is a decision made as much by the people selling as it is by the people buying and I'm sure plenty of politicians and govt officials will tell you how great the Qld seafood industry is in terms of exports $$ resulting in jobs, jobs, jobs. Seems crook to me though to sell good food and buy poor.

OISTA
12-09-2006, 08:38 PM
Apparently they love feral pig in Germany. Used to help a mate shoot them for export.

stevedemon
12-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Hi chrisfish you are right mate i am a butcher by trade and the meat here in australia is only second class compare to the product that goes oversea and it is the same with any australian product from Meat, fruit and vegetables, fish
wheat and grain, wool.
the problem is that the supermarkets bring in the cheaper products for the australian public and charge an arm and a leg compared to the price they pay in both product and labour as well as the facts there are no import taxes on most products yet we ship out products there is both export and import taxes
into the countries it is going to hard to figure

Cheers
Steve

PinHead
13-09-2006, 03:13 AM
I have a more vexing question, Mike...what the hell were you doing in Woolies anyway???
I leave those places for the wife to explore..LOL

marlinqld
13-09-2006, 05:46 AM
Sorry Pinhead, just go into Woolies now and then to keep in touch with my feminine side LOL.... ;) ;) :o :P ::) :P

aussie_true_blue
13-09-2006, 08:37 AM
I had the option of getting a fish buyers/sellers licence from my brother a couple of years but did not take up the offer.
He was in FNQ and hadn't used the licence for some time.

After a lot of enquiries and research in SEQ it appeared the local market is not prepared to pay the price for top quality seafood preferring to buy lesser quality and deep fry it to kill any bad taste.

I would have been able to provide fresh seafood from all over NQ including freshly caught Barra and Mud crabs from the gulf region but no one was interested.

As you say there is nothing like catching and cooking ya own fish
Bob

stevedemon
13-09-2006, 08:42 AM
hi pinhead sounds like you need to get in touch with your feminine side as
mate i go there with the wife for a couple of reason
1 so when i go in the boat she know i have help
2 to do a little bit stirring and embarrass :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ the wife till she beats me
3 to turn around and make sure that i get some of the goodies in the shopping trolley for home i like ;D 8-) ::) ::) ::) or it just will not happen

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

Camo
13-09-2006, 09:31 AM
seriously! I think this is a good thing. Let the world run out of their
resources, and in the future the world will be coming to us, as someone said, our fish stocks will grow and thrive. Notradamas said in his predictions that a country deep in the south will be the only one left for man to inhabit, and where the new world will begin.
Just some food for thought.

signed tunaman

Hope he didn't mean New Zealand. :D

S.S.
13-09-2006, 09:54 AM
Was in Coles yesterday. Basa fillets just under $9/kg. Does anyone else notice how pungent the "seafood" smells in these places. I went home and enjoyed some flathead I caught on the weekend. Thank god I'm able to catch my own. Whiting tonight ;)

mini696
13-09-2006, 09:57 AM
All the good stuff goes OS as soon as its onshore. Much better prices I guess. :(

Argle
13-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Its a crying shame really to think that we dont even get the opportunity to buy the best quality local product. I realise the masses want cheap but does anyone know a good place that sells the local stuff? The seafood place at Capalaba used to be pretty good but I have noticed of late more imported stuff (prawns mainly) being sold. At least they are marking them as being imports so you can make your own decision, personally Im happy to pay a bit extra for fresh local product (if I cant catch my own) (which is pretty often i tend to feed the fish rather than catch them ;D ;D ;D)

Cheers and Beers
Scott

stevedemon
13-09-2006, 12:09 PM
Hi all from what i have been told the seafood place at cannon hills just down from the abatiors is still selling local fresh seafood other than that look around for seafood markets

unfortunately most people relie on the big supermarket chains for all there food thinking they are saving money but if you look at the prices meat in particular you will find 2 different prices for the same item and i am not just talking bulk buying and it is the same with seafood check your pricing then look at the butchers or your seafood shops outside of these places and you will see the differents ;D ;) ;D

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

Fishing_Widow
13-09-2006, 12:30 PM
I am with Leeann on the smell in the supermarkets. Some days it is that bad that I will walk down another isle just to get to where I want to go.

And people wonder why I encourage Ian to go fishing all the time. ;)

Nomes

iank
13-09-2006, 03:39 PM
And to think the favorite arguement of the pros is "who catches the fish for those who don't/cant fish" Don't think it is them anymore.
Ian

PinHead
13-09-2006, 04:50 PM
hi pinhead sounds like you need to get in touch with your feminine side as
mate i go there with the wife for a couple of reason
1 so when i go in the boat she know i have help
2 to do a little bit stirring and embarrass :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ the wife till she beats me
3 to turn around and make sure that i get some of the goodies in the shopping trolley for home i like #;D 8-) ::) ::) ::) or it just will not happen

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-) #

steve..what is this about blokes getting in touch with their feminine side..I have never heard of women getting in touch with their male side?? She knows what I like and she buys it..I hate supermarkets..I hate shopping full stop..for anything.

Poodroo
13-09-2006, 05:04 PM
I'm with you pinhead. I am a purpose shopper. I know what I need prior to going in and then I zoom in and zoom out so fast the checkout chick will get whiplash if she tries to watch me. ;D I am at my worst when in a shopping centre. Wifey hates taking me because I start to get the grumps if it takes too long. Often she says "I really hate taking you shopping with me" and my reply is "Good, so don't take me in future." 8-)

Poodroo

cobiaman
13-09-2006, 06:18 PM
i bought some prawns direct from the trawlers at the spit the other day and they were absolutely beautiful ;D ;D ;D

theoldlegend
13-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Know where you're coming from Poodroo. I do grocery shopping every 2nd Friday, which just happens to be this Friday. ON MY OWN. It's more efficient that way; it's a business transaction, not a social event.

The list gets typed out in such a way that the items appear on the list generally in the order of the direction I'm travelling along the aisles which makes things very easy. I leave home about 7.48am which means I get to Capalaba at 7.55 (depending on the lights which take 70 seconds to change) and after parking the car in the same space, get to Woolies just as the barriers go up at 0800.

I'm generally the first shopper through the checkouts and am back home before the non male shoppers have even started to think about it. As for the seafood? Well, I've seen it, but wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Absolute rubbish. Undersize whole fish and other junk, "thawed for your convenience".

TOL

tunaman
13-09-2006, 07:35 PM
There has been a lot of talk about imported fish flooding the market.
So what sort of fish is in fish fingers?etc. Just asking, coz Iam having a couple right now.Is it imported fish or Australian fish.
And more importantly, what sort of fish is it?

signed tunaman

stevedemon
13-09-2006, 07:37 PM
mate most of it is imported or just plain shark oops sorry (flake)

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

murf
13-09-2006, 07:43 PM
check the fine print it probably doesnt have fish in them ;D ;D ;D
Murf

tunaman
13-09-2006, 07:44 PM
Stevedomon. Iam just doing an autopsy on a fish finger now, and it seems to have small flakes of black in it, and this could be skin of some sort. They could be feeding us anything :-/

signed tunaman

roz
13-09-2006, 07:45 PM
Try reading the packet ;D

tunaman
13-09-2006, 07:55 PM
I did roz, it dont say. All it says is, made from local and imported stuff.
does not say what sort of fish it is.

signed tunaman

chrisfish
13-09-2006, 08:05 PM
well, I don't think you can seriously expect to find decent fish in a fish finger, that's stretching things a bit too far. It's like expecting a meat pie to contain meat instead of mulched up gizzards and artificial colours and flavours.

Poodroo
13-09-2006, 08:06 PM
If we really knew what went into fish fingers and how they made them I think they would be taken off the market due to a severe drop in sales.

Poodroo

tunaman
13-09-2006, 08:22 PM
The Government should make manufactures of these products, spell it out clearly what we are eating. If I have to buy fish, I would want it to be
at leased Australian, and I think what spieces it is would make a big difference to a lot of people.

For instances. Snapper fishfingers, or whiting, or flake, or what ever
they can get. What I can see is, because the human race has grown
so big, they have to feed us crap to satisfy the demand, and now the Quality is all gone.

signed tunaman

RedEmporess
13-09-2006, 08:23 PM
My father works in a mining camp, fish on the menu Friday nights is religiously served up and 99% thrown back in the bin. So much for imported fish! 2ookm off CQ coast and can't have fresh fish. :'(

S_Bend
13-09-2006, 09:44 PM
Without trying to get too serious, so much of this is based on commercial decisions - more money is made on exporting our good quality fish and importing (and onselling to the Aussie public) the lesser quality imported "fish". Govt makes considerable trade concessions to get this into practice but the trick is for us to ensure they don't now cut off our fishing areas (Moreton Bay, etc). Mike, I am with you 100% on this but we should also not lose sight of the fact that, at the moment, we can still go out and catch our own top quality fish locally. What happens if/when the govt does restrict our fishing here? All to allow the commercial harvest to continue, send it overseas and in turn just import more rubbish.

On a lighter note, I for one am happy enough with the garbage sold as it means my wife lets me go out more to catch top notch, fresh fish. ;)

Green
14-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Not sure how to post links yet, maybe someone with a bit more nouse can help. Try searching the 'Bulletin', 29th November '05, author, Anthony Hoy.
Article headline 'Things that batter'. All about basa, pretty scary stuff.

snappa
14-09-2006, 05:47 PM
i like shopping at woolies summer time the best ..

low cut tops and bottom shelf .... :o

come home ..forgot what i went for.... :-/

here is a site highy recommend... in case u what to eat fish from any outlets ... :)

http://www.bowpanseafoods.com.au/fish.shtml

Green
14-09-2006, 06:07 PM
That's some odd lookin Barra there, i suppose it goes with the rest of the oddities on the menu though. Makes ya sick just thinkin about it.

Loco_Pez
14-09-2006, 07:10 PM
I'm in 2 minds on this subject.

If people are silly enough to eat what is available at the supermarket then they deserve what they get - on the flipside is that people deserve better and a lot more kids would be eating fish if it was good.

If the overseas market are prepared to pay $300/kg for coral trout then we can't complain unless we are prepared to pay theat much or more. If supermarket shoppers only want to pay $15/kg then they gotta expect rubbish.

If I don't catch fish I will only buy it from Charis seafood here on the Gold Coast & I only buy whole fish so I can see how fresh it is.

In regard to fish fingers you may have noticed that you can buy frozen fish fillets of various varieties. What you may not have noticed is that every one of these fish fillets is exactly the same size & weight. That's becuase the big processors use sophistaicated systems such as computer controlled water knife cutters to cut fillet shaped pieces of exact size from larger pieces of fish. The offcuts go into fish fingers etc.

Like everything - buyer beware. It is up to the individual to educate oneself.

threadfin_jim
14-09-2006, 08:34 PM
I feel for the poor soles who buy their seafood from these places and think they are eating " fresh" fish... We ( people who can catch our own ) know better... We are very, very spoilt..

Grand_Marlin
15-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Wow :o so mny topics so close to my heart....

1) Shopping - best avoided unless absolutely necessary

2) Point 2 over rides point 1, if the shopping is in any way, shape or form related to fishing or boating.

3) Snappas "bottom shelf" theory holds true ;D ;D ;D it is the only way to pass the time if you get roped in by the missus to go on an extended shopping trip.

4) The crap imported fish - we all hate it, and dont seem to be able to do anything about it. At least if we were told exactly what the fish was, without any marketing names, we could make our own informed decisions.

5) Some people (sadly) think fish is fish is fish... and thats the market coles caters for.

6) At $300 a kilo ... no one would ever buy it, no matter how fresh or good it was. 2 kilo of fish to have a feed = a weeks wages .... dont think so some how.

7) You really have to hunt to find good seafood outlets.
The ones I know of are:

Noosa - fresh fish shop at the southern end of the business strip ... just before you leave noosa heading to sunrise beach... opposite the shell servo.

Mooloolaba - the spit has probably the best range available anywhere.

Scarborough - Morgans Seafood

North Brisbane - Cons fish market in the North Lakes Shopping Centre

Any others people know of?

Cheers

Pete

marlinqld
15-09-2006, 10:49 AM
The Fish Factory Lytton Rd Morningside, near where Riverside Dr hits Lytton Rd.

Great feed of fish chips and salad.....