PDA

View Full Version : Stringrays,retallation by Recreational fisho's

stevedemon
05-09-2006, 08:44 PM
Hi all
if you where all listening to the News tonight Sea-world and conservationist are worried about the retallation on Stringrays from Recreational Fishers with the unfortunate Death of Steve Irwin.

By slaughtering the stringrays or by cutting off there tails????

they are by nature a peaceful creature of the sea or as some call them the bird of the sea?? theey are also a vacumn cleaner and good sport on light gear but i have always made it a policy to release them unharmed and always will when the kids where smaller and the Bird of the sea came within sight the kids always had a birds eye view of them and where always amazed at how graceful they where

If this happens guys it will give the greenies all the ammo they need to make closures more applicable and without notice so if you know anyone as to whom has this practise let them know that this is not the answer.

Steve Irwin Death was a traggic accident not the fault of the Stringray

but as stated on the news by Sea-world this is there fear and it should also be ours as we do not need to give the Greenies or conservationist any more excuses for closures due to the stupidity of some?? :'( :'(

I'm just relaying the message from the news so don't beat up on me guy's be gentle ;D ;D ::) ::)

Cheers 8-) 8-)
Steve 8-) 8-)

MickSA
05-09-2006, 09:04 PM
Well i would hope that most anglers would have enough sense not to do that, as mentioned it was a freak accident and thats the end of it. :-/

madmix
05-09-2006, 09:16 PM
Hi Steve

Why do they always blame us poor fishos.

The croc man was a conservationist, not a fisho, therefore it stands
to reason that if anyone is going to be stupid enough to seek out
stingrays for retribution it would be the conservationists, not us.

Whilst the croc hunters death was a freak accident, one must remember
that when you swim with the sharks, sooner or later your gunna get bit,
afraid to say but his time was up.

cheers Mick

choppa
05-09-2006, 09:19 PM
MEDIA CR@P,,,,,,,DON'T YA LUV IT......

its also reported that this is the 3rd death related to this injury in australia,,,

lets beat up on the poor old ray,,,,

makes me think about how many deaths are answerable to: shark attack,,,bees,,,cars,,,,drugs,,,an so on

i'll loose a bit of faith in humanity if we go on a ""LETS GET REVENGE ON THE POOR OLD RAY"" hunt

no disrespect intended,,,,but to report this about a bloke whose life was revolved around wildlife,,,who dedicated his every moment to what he called ""the cause"",, is just mind blowing,,christ the bloke was making a documentary about ""wildlife"" when it happened,,,

the ray wasn't waiting for him behind some piece of reef,,,,,ready to jump out and say GOTCHA

Great_White
05-09-2006, 09:24 PM
That would be the last thing Steve would want to happen #:( :( :(

Unfortunately he is gone and no person or animal is to blame #:o :o :o

I still think it's a bad dream, and any moment I will wake up #:'( :'( :'(

Peter.

tunaman
05-09-2006, 09:31 PM
These are wild animals, and the croc hunter said, and I quote,
allways expect the unexpected, unQuote. anyone who kills or cuts off
their tails, are fools. For 350 million years, give or take a million, these
stingrays have being doing the same thing all this time.
The point is, we are entering their world, and sometimes we pay the price for not following and respecting their rules.

signed tunaman

NEWBY
05-09-2006, 09:49 PM
I gotta be honest, my kids cried when they heard. It actually saddened me too and I am a heartless bastard. (ask my staff ;D)
But we saw him do a show at the zoo a couple of years ago andhe earned my respect. Australia is gonna be an emptier place without this legend. I truly never thought I would ever show any sort of respect for a conservationist and although he was truly radical, he didnt have a go at anyone in particular or any group, he just asked everyone to think about the impact of what we do and I reckon we all looked a bit harder at things we did. The fact that it was a ray that got him, blew me away. Of all the stupid things he handled and did, WOW, this is what got him. I reckon he achieved what he was put on this earth to do and now he has gone. I wouldnt be too worried about what some left wing radical greenies say they are affraid of in respect to what sort if retalliation us rec fishers will take on the nasty demon rays. The world has had enough of the left wing radicals. Thats why conservationists and everyone else ALL had resect for the crikey man. I feel for his missus and kids. It always hurts the ones left behind the most.

Canoedle
05-09-2006, 10:29 PM
THE STINGRAYS, THEY'RE OUT TO GET US, RUUUUUUUUNNNNN :-?

charleville
06-09-2006, 02:09 AM
Hi all
if you where all listening to the News tonight Sea-world and conservationist are worried about the retallation on Stringrays from Recreational Fishers with the unfortunate Death of Steve Irwin.

That is funny - I have never thought of Sea-World as being conservationalists. #They pen in beautiful wild animals and then debase them by making them jump through hoops and stuff like that to get a feed. And all to make lots of $.

Not unlike a reality TV show, really.

theoldlegend
06-09-2006, 06:23 AM
I saw that stupid comment by a Seaworld staffer on the news last night. It's the oldest trick in the book, isn't it?

You make up some stupid drivel, then it sows a seed of doubt in peoples' minds Politicians are particularly good at it.

TOL

aussiefool
06-09-2006, 07:22 AM
It all ways tick me off when anyone is killed by a wild creature the first the the public at large want is blood, how many times have you heard that someone taken by a shark and the next day or two they kill a large shark that just happens to be in the area or a croc or a lion over seas or...........

Grand_Marlin
06-09-2006, 08:00 AM
... and if people try to seek revenge on rays by cutting off their tails
(which I personally dont believe will happen)

Then who is going to be the next to go the same way as Steve ...

If you play with fire ....

Cheers

Pete

Darryl
06-09-2006, 08:05 AM
I'm suprised Vic hislop isn't out there already with his two shot guns hanging in there holsters. :-/

bay_firey
06-09-2006, 08:26 AM
MEDIA CR@P,,,,,,,DON'T YA LUV IT......

its also reported that this is the 3rd death related to this injury in australia,,,

lets beat up on the poor old ray,,,,

makes me think about how many deaths are answerable to: shark attack,,,bees,,,cars,,,,drugs,,,an so on

i'll loose a bit of faith in humanity if we go on a ""LETS GET REVENGE ON THE POOR OLD RAY"" hunt

no disrespect intended,,,,but to report this about a bloke whose life was revolved around wildlife,,,who dedicated his every moment to what he called ""the cause"",, is just mind blowing,,christ the bloke was making a documentary about ""wildlife"" when it happened,,,

the ray wasn't waiting for him behind some piece of reef,,,,,ready to jump out and say GOTCHA

Choppa

I think they were refering to "this is the 3rd death related to stingrays" as in this is rare, what a freak thing. Not as in beware doom and gloom this is the 3rd time this type of thing has happend.

OISTA
06-09-2006, 08:46 AM
THE STINGRAYS, THEY'RE OUT TO GET US, RUUUUUUUUNNNNN :-?
;D
Do not run, if you shuffle you wont be able to stand on one. ;)
Eveybody SHUFFLE FOR YOUR LIVES

Dirtysanchez
06-09-2006, 09:29 AM
No way, I already had a run in with one not far from Tangalooma, it was the size of a plate & stuck me in the foot well and truly, and the pain !! :-[

I think this is just an overeaction to Steve Irwin's accident, and a chance for people to get their 10 seconds of fame in the paper or TV.. Look at all the politicians posturing about him having a state funeral.. Hell if the family don't want it then it doesn't matter what Peter Beattie or John Howard say.

I reckon it is time for the Media to pull its head in and let the Irwin family have their time to grieve and come to terms with this sad event.

chrisfish
06-09-2006, 09:29 AM
What a nonsense statement, of course fishos arent going to a kill a stingray for Steve. He started his career relocating crocs rather than killing them and spent his life educating people about the value and importance of wildlife. And really, how outrageous to target recreational fishermen? What about the professional fishermen who killed all those animals near Antartica cause they thought they were affecting the size of the catch? What would Steve Irwin say about that lot? Crikey indeed!!

My son and I had a talk about stingrays last night as he was worried one would get me while fishing. I explained they aren't agressive, Steve suffered a terrible accident that very rarely happens and that I always move away from stingrays, not towards them. That lead to talking about how I wanted to be an oceanographer when I was a boy, and how I've always loved being around the sea. He decided he wants to work in a zoo when he grows up. Who knows how many different things he'll want to be before he's grown but I feel this is the right response - to talk about Steve's work and encourage people to carry it further.

BennyJ
06-09-2006, 09:54 AM
Media say no more , watch for green zones being introduced where the rays hang out , we don't want those bad fisherman going near the rays now do we they might seek and destroy . just another thing we have to put up with doing the oldest sport known to man

cuzzamundi
06-09-2006, 07:27 PM
couldn't agree with you more charleville!!!

im just about to hunt my ray quota for the start of the shark season, so does that mean im displaying vindictive tendancies??? just insane. i do this every year, and people don't look twice. now i can see a lotta abuse being hurled my way. i think those green lefty flower people are suffering some serious mary jane paranoia yet again!!! when will they grow up, get outta their incense filled city houses and gain some REAL knowledge on nature. they argue we don't have intrinsic values as humans, and then turn around and say we can't participate in its goings on! totally contradictory. i lived with one of these people once. she would constantly taunt me for being a fisherman, yet she'd smoke pot in the same room as her daughter and tend to her stoned! i can't stand their hypocrisy!

cuzza

Poodroo
06-09-2006, 08:33 PM
THE STINGRAYS, THEY'RE OUT TO GET US, RUUUUUUUUNNNNN #:-?
;D
Do not run, if you shuffle you wont be able to stand on one. ;)
Eveybody SHUFFLE FOR YOUR LIVES

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D I can just imagine a whole lot of brave men with worried looks on their faces shuffling for all they are worth.

Poodroo

Mtx
07-09-2006, 09:02 AM
Rays and sharks don't come in the Pub so I don't go in the water

NickoTheFisho
07-09-2006, 03:14 PM
Nice to see Peter Beattie offered a State Funeral to the family. We should have a public holiday next year, Steve Irwin Day.

Sea-Dog
07-09-2006, 07:49 PM
I went to Sea-World a few weeks back and I distinctly remember seeing a ray with no tail in the big shark tank.

This could be brought up if they waffle on too much. ::)

efc
07-09-2006, 08:20 PM
I can remember a post on here a while back where pictures of rays with no tails where displayed and im 99% sure fishermen where proved to be involved. We can not turn a blind eye and ignore that some fishermen, all be it a minority, are reckless and plain cruel ( seal slaughter for example).

Also there have been some generalisations that are pretty ignorant. Just because you openly defend environmental conservation does not mean you smoke weed. Sure it was a joke but im sure you have an IQ above 80, use some of that grey matter!

and as Steve would now say, Crocs and Rays Rule! ..........so leave them alone

tunaman
07-09-2006, 09:06 PM
EFC well said 8-) 8-) 8-) but I dont know about my IQ. ;D but no one
should take it out on the stingrays. Like I said, these rays have doing their thing, for millions of years, when we go into the water, we are the invaders.

signed tunaman

Burley_Boy
07-09-2006, 10:00 PM
Ahh just what I was looking for, anyone got any good ray recipies? ;) ;)

moondancer
07-09-2006, 11:13 PM
Well, I reckon the family's respectful declining of the state funeral, and having a very pruvate funeral, etc. will start to settle all this down....let the family be...and the stingrays will continue doing what they've done ofr millions of years.......live!

I remember seeing what amounted to a shark and ray slaughter a year or two back, fishing in the shallow coffee rock area around rainbow channel - when we spotted a mass of dead sunbleached cracasses - sickened me - and am still wondering what 9or more likely WHO) dumped them there - easily over a 100 dead rays and sharks.

Lawry

tunaman
07-09-2006, 11:34 PM
Isnt it so easy to be shot down for given a opion. woopsw sorry for the spellin.

signed tunaman

davo
08-09-2006, 07:02 AM
Has anyone got a spare sting ray for Germain Greer. After what she said about him.

JEWIENEWIE
08-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Who the TRUCK is germain greer anyway!!!
Jewie

lefty_green
08-09-2006, 02:06 PM
Just saw two mutilated stingrays with tails removed and at least 5-10 puncture holes in each.

mylestom
08-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Germain Greer has more sting in her tail than any poor innocent stingray.

Wish one would bite her on the tongue, but it would probably get gangrene off her.

They all have there place and really like watching them when I go fishing. Occassionally a by catch and always release before they get to the boat.

Bloody graceful animal that they are.

Trev

Dirtysanchez
08-09-2006, 04:37 PM
Hi lefty-green
Could you please expand on this comment mate ? where did you see this mutilation of sting rays and when ?
You should report such things to the DPI, thats disgraceful !

Regards

Sanchez

stevedemon
09-09-2006, 12:17 AM
Hi all
Lefty-Greenie this is what this thread was all about the fact that some one with the mentality out that would do some thing like this is what is going to make it hard for the Recreational fisho's

as fisho's we need to get the word out to everyone we know about being more sensible with not only our fishing habits but also on throwing any thing over the sides other than baits

we need to get the word out to basically be more environmentally friendly guys
on board i always carry a bin for rubbish with spare bags nothing other than my lines and bait hit the water

and as for stringrays they are always released unharmed maybe a bit werri from the fight

and any thing like this needs to stop or reported the D.P.I or Fisheries senseless killing is going to kill us from fishing

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

Volvo
09-09-2006, 03:03 AM
:-? First off le me say "dont believe a word of what ya say Lefti" me thinks ya might be havin a bit of a lend of us >:(..Specially going by your handle 8-)..
Secondly , how the feck this thread has run fer so long having all fisho's on the defence is a tad hard ta fathom and anybody going on a revenge binge on stingrays belongs in the luni bin along with the proposer of such shyte....
C'mon fella's we are a tad above this kinda media crap ey!!..
Cheers

Poodroo
09-09-2006, 06:22 AM
:-? First off le me say "dont believe a word of what ya say Lefti" me thinks ya might be havin a bit of a lend of us >:(..Specially going by your handle 8-)..
Secondly , how the feck this thread has run fer so long having all fisho's on the defence is a tad hard ta fathom and anybody going on a revenge binge on stingrays belongs in the luni bin along with the proposer of such shyte....
C'mon fella's we are a tad above this kinda media crap ey!!..
Cheers

Well I know that I am so over the media crap and hopefully above it however there is also a possibility that lefty might be right? I can vouch that we live in a world full of looney people. If there weren't then there wouldn't be looney bins? Not a day goes by where I don't shake my head in amazement at some of the stupid things these loney people are capable of doing both on dry land and out on the water. Lefty might be having a lend of us but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on this one. #;)

Poodroo

cassarty7
09-09-2006, 08:54 AM
Gee,
How stupid does the general public think fishermen are?????

In memory of Steve Irwin
A very sad day for His Family
A sad day for Queensland
A sad day for Australia
A sad day for the rest of the world
He was a breath of fresh air in this greedy politically run world.
God Bless him
May he rest in peace
Thanks for the memories Steve

Derek_Bullock
09-09-2006, 09:37 AM
Back in the early 70's I worked for a while as a deckie on a trawler working out of Port Stephens in NSW. Our main target was flathead and prawns however often used to pull in huge rays, some of them were 6 to 8 feet across and so big we had to use a winch to pull them in. I guess they may have been more than half a ton.

Back then the pro fishers not only cut the tails off but they also carved their initials in their backs. During the time I was there we hardley ever caught a big ray with a tail and many had up to or more than a dozen initials carved in their backs.

One would hope it doesnt happen now but it certainly did back then.

Derek

MulletMan
09-09-2006, 10:44 AM
I havta admit that I was never a fan of Steve's shows and I put him in the same class as old Rex Hunt - the showmanship killed the content but with the sound off I could watch either show any old time.

The tragedy with Steve was that (apparently) the American Scuba Divers Association was very uncomplimentary to him re his refusal to wear what is recognized as the "right stuff" when diving.

You just don't go messing about with professional diving in a pair of shorts and buttoned up shirt. This organization believes his appearance on shows encouraged other divers to follow suit and thereby endanger their lives.

It is getting kicked about now (wisdom of hindsight) that had he been wearing all the gear you associate with professional scuba diving, the barb may have been deflected and he would still be with us today...... maybe!

Me? Dreadful loss and I sent my bunch of flowers to the Zoo as I reckon underneath all the showmanship, he was a bloody decent and down to earth Aussie!

JEWIENEWIE
09-09-2006, 04:16 PM
Nice one mate!!
Jewie [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Rainbowrunner
11-09-2006, 01:07 AM
we used to cut the tails off when using them for livebait ::) ;D

onmyown123
11-09-2006, 04:40 AM
SHUFFLE SHUFFLE SHUFFLE SHUFFLE.............HOWS THAT...NOW RUUUUUUUUNNNNN!!!!!

KEVVY ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

tunaman
11-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Stingrays with their tails cut off. Watch the news tonight. This is very
uncool man! I guess peoples emotions are running high. :-/

signed tunaman

marlinqld
11-09-2006, 05:10 PM
about as funny as the games on the net.......... a video game of terri irwin - you have to make her kill stingrays.

Now she isnt a part of it, hell she may not even know about them..... some people are just real sickos and wierd....... havent seen them myself, but heard it on 2UE radio this morning.

Mike

tunaman
11-09-2006, 05:25 PM
Its amazing what people will do for money, and lame reasons to inflect
harm on defenceless creatures. I would have thought the human race
would have evolved by now. But like I said before, when we go into their world, people must take care. Its not the rays fault.

signed tunaman

themisses
11-09-2006, 05:25 PM
Some people have no respect do they?? As if the family have not been through enough?? And as for cutting the tails off rays, the culprits obviously had not idea what Steve's message was. It is the last thing he would have wanted. He's gone and these oxygen theifs are still here?? It's just not fair!!

tunaman
11-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Oxgen thieves are all around us. Its just goes to show you how small
minded some people really are.

signed tunaman ;)

stevedemon
11-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Hi all
well i place the article up some people laughed but they are not laughing now this sensiless killing is what the E.P.A conservationist, and Greenies are going to have a ball the I.Q of these guys to kill a beautiful harmless creature has no words for this well not to be placed on the board any way for those turkeys in harvey bay that have done this need to be place where all can see and charged to the hilt.
it is totally sensiless, lack of integrity, and lack of intestinal-fortitude and i am being nice for the ladies and juniors on the board
if any of you guys in Harvey bay no as to whom it is make the phone call and make them pay the price or it will come back and bit us in the end

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

gutzy
11-09-2006, 05:49 PM
PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

finga64
11-09-2006, 05:57 PM
Absolutely amasing in the sad way :'(

Great_White
11-09-2006, 05:59 PM
It's not the ray's fault, just a bad freak accident :( :( :(

What channel ??????

Peter.

stevedemon
11-09-2006, 06:01 PM
Hi all
well i place the article up some people laughed but they are not laughing now this sensiless killing is what the E.P.A conservationist, and Greenies are going to have a ball the I.Q of these guys to kill a beautiful harmless creature has no words for this well not to be placed on the board any way for those turkeys in harvey bay that have done this need to be place where all can see and charged to the hilt.
it is totally sensiless, lack of integrity, and lack of intestinal-fortitude and i am being nice for the ladies and juniors on the board #
if any of you guys in Harvey bay no as to whom it is make the phone call and make them pay the price or it will come back and bit us in the end
it was a dozen stringrays with tails removed and left for dead on the beach at havrey bay ch 7

well to all those that do not beleive it watch the news tonight harvey bay is on the map for the wrong reasons this time because of a few idiots make them pay the price guys

onmyown123 you may make a joke of this but check the news the telll me your answer mate and volvo it maybe true what lefty had to say but watch the news the sensiless killing of Stringrays this is going to have an impact on us fisho's big time guys and i am not pushing panic buttons and for those that sit back and laugh remember it was placed on the board 05/09/06 it is now 11/09/06 so 6 days i will so no more guy's we need to be more vigilant and get the word out this will bring closures quicker than we think so be warned

Cheers # ;D ;D #
Steve #8-) 8-) # #

stevedemon
11-09-2006, 06:07 PM
ch 7 a dozen Stringrays with tails removed and left for dead on the beach at havrey bay i really hope they get the turkeys that did this

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

chrisfish
11-09-2006, 06:20 PM
I hope that story about the stingrays with tails cut off is not true. I could not see it on the channel 7 news website just now.

stevedemon
11-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Hi chrisfish mate i have just watch it on the news ch 7 very short but show the details of dead rays on the beach with no tails sorry but it is true

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

macka7
11-09-2006, 06:34 PM
thats just wrong
Steve Irwin would be turning in his grave over that sort of cruel act on any animals

Grand_Marlin
11-09-2006, 06:38 PM
I just dont get it....

What do they think they are achieving by retalliating against Stingrays....

Avenging Steve Irwin's death?

Everyone was affected by his passing, some more than others ... but come on ... how stupid an people be to think it is helping anuyone in any way.

The culprits probably had their kids withthem, showing them how to be heroes.

This is an act that all fisherman may ultimately end up paying dearly for ... Criminal charges should be the answer to the individuals involved- make a public example of the few culprits that are ultimately responsible for degrading the rest of our lives for their own narrow minded agendas.

Steve, I eat my words - in your other post, I stated that I didnt think people would do this to Stingrays - sadly, how wrong I was.

We have the technology to allow people live in outer space, but we still cant find a way to curb the acts of dickheads.

Cheers

Pete

mylestom
11-09-2006, 06:40 PM
The mentality of some people, the guts and glory brigade without any brains.

They need to be processed through the police station, and their faces put on the media.

There is no place in humanity for senseless vandalism like that.

Every thinking fisho would be disappointed at the attitude and senseless cruelty by these morons.

Trev

Poodroo
11-09-2006, 06:58 PM
The responsible people for this act of cruelty surely didn't know Steve Irwin too well did they? Even now if Steve Irwin could see what is happening he would be in absolute tears about killing the stingrays. Everything Steve Irwin stood for is being well and truly abused by this act of stupidity.

Poodroo

chrisfish
11-09-2006, 09:15 PM
Steve Irwin would be bitterly disappointed >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

stevedemon
11-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Hi all
my thoughts only but it is not only Steve Irwin that would not want this to happen but also his Family and friends after all Steve was out there doing a documentary for the love of his Daughter when this happen as it was her documentary all this does is show how small minded and immature and the lack of an IQ

we really need to get the word out there some how people or the Greenies and conservationist will be all over this and we are the ones that will suffer in the end for the guys that live in harvery bay let it be known guys and find to irresponsible idiots that have place our fishing future in jeopardy

these idiots really need to be shame big time both in the hip pocket and there faces in the papers or made to walk up and down the street with the signs of there criminal acts placed on there backs

as for some comments that have been made that this will never happen and as to why this thread has last as long as i has well take note from the facts on sharks and attack happens people want revenge on them we enter there domain so we take the chance if they walk into a pub or try to cross a road the same thing in reverse

More so i most certainly hope that they are not Ausfish members

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-) #

Obi___Wan
11-09-2006, 10:30 PM
Does anyone know for sure that it was rec fishermen that committed this act of stupidity?????????????

Could it be that rec fishermen are being set up?????????

Similar things have happened in the past!

Cheers,
John.

tunaman
11-09-2006, 10:59 PM
When I saw the bay local news, they said no hook marks were found
and may of been someone with a net. >:(

signed tunaman

mylestom
12-09-2006, 08:28 AM
Tunaman perhaps you might be rite, seems to be a fair number without evidence of how they are captured.

There are other people out there in the marine environment, that is not accussing anyone, and neither should they point the finger at Recreational fishermen or women.

Evidence is what is required and at the moment they are just pointing a finger at an easy target, as usual.

Perhaps the heading for this thread should not have read like it did.

It assumes a lot without providing any basis for the subject, sure it was meant to invoke debate, but we need to act a bit smarter than stoop to their level.

Good debate is healthy, but in law you need to provide some evidence before accusing someone or group of a crime (which this is).

When the facts and evidence are bought to their conclusion then legal action should be taken against the idiots that did this.

Regards Trev

stevedemon
12-09-2006, 09:12 AM
Hi trev
the reason for the heading as such is the way it was stated on the by news by the conservastionist and sea-world mate and it was placed on here to advised to recreational of the thoughts that where going around and there was no intent of any more than this

as for the facts of no marks would be interesting as there are where a dozen on the beach

Spearfishers netters and fishos will hooks will leave little to no marks, nets will leave a mark on a ray and will spearfishers will definately leave mark either that or they jump out of the water in protest of one of its own ;D ;D

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

onmyown123
12-09-2006, 01:16 PM
gotta pick on someone I suppose!!!!! ::) They are beautiful creatures of the sea. Lets just get on with life hey!!!! ;)

SeaHunt
12-09-2006, 01:43 PM
Channel 7 probably paid someone to do it , how come they happened to be there to film it.
Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Regardless, cruelty to animals is about all they could be charged with.
Rays are not protected and people do target, catch and eat them.
How much difference is cutting a rays tail off to letting a fish die slowly flapping around in the bottom of a esky. :P

chrisfish
12-09-2006, 05:11 PM
Here is a link to the story on www.news.com.au. http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20398737-1702,00.html
Someone connected to Wildlife Warriors says this is not what he stood for.

stevedemon
12-09-2006, 06:08 PM
thanks chrisfish

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

GARFISH
12-09-2006, 06:45 PM
I have witnessed many a stingray without a tail and sitting high and dry on the beach and this was back in the 90's. I feel that whoever did the stingrays in the bay has probably been doing that for years and it was not as a result of the recent tragedy. I am not condoning this behaviour but simply stating that this has happened in the past and will continue to happen into the future unfortunately. But now some people may endeavour to push things through for their own purpose.

My son (5) is upset over Steve, who has now watched his movie for the 6th time in two days and is starting to realise that whilst there will be no new shows/videos that he can still enjoy what Steve has done and that is introduced children to many things in his way.

My son and I went fishing on the weekend and i caught two stingrays both of which were released intact.

lanks
12-09-2006, 06:50 PM
sorry but this sort of cruelty to stingrays and birds aswell was almost a common sight off the pier at hervey bay by an minority of the locals of which most were old enough to know better. made me sick some times so see the way birds were treated after they were hooked after pinching a livebait. if me or a fellow now-ausfish member werent peering over the shoulder and actively helping to release the hooked bird from the fishos concerned then it was goodnight bird.

stevedemon
12-09-2006, 07:28 PM
Hi all

Whether we condon this behaviour or not, it is the actions of a few in this instance.
We will take the Harvey Bay instance, but as stated it has happen else where to.

Guys we have to get the word out there, before the Greenies or Governments get the notion to make closures, due to the lack of respect they seem to think we fisho's have for the environment.

Yes it is a few, with the lack of an IQ or think that it is because they are vermin, it would probably never have made the papers had it not been the facts of how Steve Die or if they removed the flaps for dinner, but the facts are they did just leave them on the beach with tails removed and they come to one conculsion revenge.

The time has come when we all need to account that these are the excuses the Conservastionist, Greenies and environmental protection Agency's are looking for to make more closures, due to irresponsible acts from fisho's or to whom ever did this and place the blame on us all!? the facts are that the lack of integrity from these Department bodies will blame and past the blame to us just to get what they want even if it means placing false documents with miss leading information to do it. :-* :-/ :P

Once again we can nolonger afford to be naive, or bury our heads in the sand, but vigilant on all actions we do when out on the water :-/ :-[ :(

this goes for plastics, lines, bottles sorry guys but they are looking at every excuse and any excuse :'( :-[ :-?

now i will stand back and take the democracy that is coming my way

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

cuzzamundi
12-09-2006, 08:31 PM
it's disgusting that people would leave them to die in such a manner. if they were using or eating them, fair enough. but doing it for that sake - pathetic! steve erwin would be furious with that sort of behaviour! i hope they realise that it aint what he woulda wanted.

cuzza

chrisfish
12-09-2006, 08:37 PM
I'm not sure what you are suggesting. A media statement from Ausfish?

stevedemon
13-09-2006, 09:33 PM
Hi all
will it seems there have been more rays killed some where anyone can to place it on the board this is going from the blind to the stupid it is past ridiculous guy's

there was a small article in todays Courier mail from sunfish on the killings in harvey bay and i do mean small almost like the papers are hiding the fact the we as fisho's are not condoning these actions by a small group of idiots with some where between -15 to 0 IQ

we need to get the message out there some how that all they are doing is destroying the life we know and love of fishing and that this is not what steve irwin was about if in fact this is what is going on but as you look at the evidence it is pointing more to revenge on the Bird of the sea (stringrays) they do play a very big part in the eco system but they have just as much rights as any other fish in the sea or sharks that have kill some one over the years we are in there domain

so can anyone tell the rest of us where in the S/E corner this happen

Cheer ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

BennyJ
13-09-2006, 10:19 PM
On tonight's Cairns news there were reports that 10 stingrays had been found dead with no tails , they were calling it a revenge attack .

Who in there right mind would go and target them for that reason and to catch and kill ten in one sitting is not bad fishing if your a ray fisherman ;D

puks
15-09-2006, 09:14 PM
ok so i havent been around for a while
havent watched the news or anything
bloddy tourists keep me busy
anyway
i went to that german chat board i hang out in to check on the thread i opend about steve iwirn

first of all i was disgusted by some of the replies there which i wont repeat as to not insight a nother war or something
and secondly of course the news you guys have been discussing in this thread here has traveled far
and the comments are like yours guys

i am disgusted when i see ppl kill just for the sake fo killing for the thrill or whatever htey might call it

whoever does things like that should face criminal charges
and stevedemon you are right its important to show and tell ppl that rec fishos DO NOT condone behaviour like thise

regards
anya

(who needs to go an entertain the tourists again)

IcemanII
18-09-2006, 10:41 PM
Kill for the thrill !, have seen people kill for no reason at all.......... often wondered why they exist.