PDA

View Full Version : Which fishing charter to go with?

Sea-Dog
17-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Can anyone make recommendation on a good fishing charter operator for a day or o-nite trip?

I know there are some dodgy operators out there and don't want to waste my $$$

Preferrably Brisbane area, not Gold or Sunshine coast. (travel time issues)

Cheers, Sea-Dog

marlinqld
17-09-2006, 04:36 PM
mate i highly recommend Seaview Charters out of Raby Bya.

and have been hearing very good things about Witch Doctor out of Scarborough Harbour, though he is a bit dear at $200 i hear,.

Cheers

Mike

Sea-Dog
17-09-2006, 04:57 PM
Thanks Mike - I just booked with them for next Friday.

I will post with results.

- Ross (Sea-Dog)

marlinqld
17-09-2006, 05:01 PM
Which one? Seaview? if so, hope all goes well for you...weather and fish wise..... good crew, i think Greg and peter still run it for the owner

Heard great things about Witch Doctor, but i heard $200 which is a touch dear for me but maybe OK for some

Mike

Sea-Dog
17-09-2006, 05:45 PM
Booked with Seaview for $155.00 Everything supplied.

5:00 Am - 3:00 Pm Leaving from Public pontoon Raby Bay - Near Cleveland Rail Station.

marlinqld
17-09-2006, 05:50 PM
you'll have a good day if the weathers fine. never missed the fish when on them, i have been out with seaview , gee, heaps of times anyways over the years....... great crew great owners

Mike

Sea-Dog
22-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Report of Charter.

Headed out through South Passage Bar and arrived at about 7:45 at our first drop about 5 or 6 Km off North Stradbroke Island.

It took a few drops to land a keeper fish among the 14 passengers. (a 37 Cm squire)

Tidal run was pretty strong and it was difficult to hold bottom for more than a few seconds. So it was a case of drop, wait 30 seconds, then let more line out until you hit bottom again.

We fished in a depths from 40 - 60 Metres.

(I was already tired from drop it down - crank it up for the hundredth time)

I had pulled up some non-keepers - So I knew there were fish about.
We just needed greater quantity and quality.

Finally my mullet strip was taken by something that didn't like the idea of coming to the surface.

The rod took on a good curve and there was the unmistakable thump, thump of a tail.

The TLD 25 was losing line steadily, so the lever drag was pushed forward into fighting position.

That slowed him down a bit - just a bit. I managed to turn the head the right way and started to muscle the fish to the surface.

Don't you hate it when you're cranking the reel handle for all your worth, and the muscles tire. Then the rod/reel starts wobbling from side to side as you lose coordination?

Keep cranking! Don't give him any slack. Don't stop. C'mon, if he gets his head down - you'll lose him.
Do you want me to take over? - NO!!!! I........Will.........(puff, puff) Get.......It........(man, this is hard work)...In.

Skipper yells 'Everyone else on this side - lines in quickly'

'Here's some colour - Nearly there....... Keep going.'

At this point, I had the reel tilted over on its left side - being supported by my left forearm (to stop it wobbling). Right hand cranking as much as I am able. (Arms tightening up and knees going wobbly).

Finally got it the final few Metres to the surface and held its head up whilst the skipper plants a nice gaff shot in the shoulder.

A nice Amberjack - my first (and best) Crew estimated his weight to be 10Kg (Tough buggers - I thought it was bigger 'till it was landed.) When I got it home - the gilled & gutted weight was 8.65 Kg on electronic scales.

Sea-Dog
22-09-2006, 06:29 PM
A few other pics.

The boat. (40' Cat)

Sea-Dog
22-09-2006, 06:32 PM
A few of the others' catches.

Sea-Dog
22-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Going out thru the bar with Southern end of Moreton Island in background.