PDA

View Full Version : Fish Too Pretty

Drifta
19-09-2006, 06:16 PM
Being a new member this is my first post and even though it may cause me some embarrassment I just had to share this with someone. Last trip outside the Keppels I caught a good size parrot but was made to throw it back because my wife reckoned it was too pretty to kill and eat. Needless to say if I catch a coral trout then I will cut its throat and throw it in the esky even before she gets a look in. Congrats on a great site that provides heaps of info and plenty of laughs.

NeilD
19-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Welcome to the site Drifta

Thats got to hurt throwing them back because they look too nice :o

Look forward to more posts from your area

Cheers

Neil

wayne_cook
19-09-2006, 06:42 PM
nice post drifta ;)

Poodroo
19-09-2006, 06:43 PM
Welcome to Ausfish. Mate I would have said to the wife "Well you are pretty and I didn't throw you back did I?" ;D

Poodroo

marlinqld
19-09-2006, 06:48 PM
no comment from me for fear of embarrasing a new member....... ;) ;) ;D

welcome aboard mate

Mike

charleville
19-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Yep. Understand that. My wife hates to look at the big snapper because they have a "face". Too cruel to take such an animal with a personality she reckons. :(

Hasn't stopped me yet, though. ;)

fishingbarry
19-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Wifey hates the grunting sound that the big Trevs make she feels sorry for them so they are sent back to the deep , love a small one for the table though.
Cheers
Barry

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
19-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Hey Drifta, does your wife eat lamb?

Dave

Drifta
19-09-2006, 07:42 PM
Yes Dave she does but the difference is she doesn't have to watch me cut it's throat and gut it first.

Drifta
19-09-2006, 07:45 PM
I have been instructed to also make it known that the wife loves fishing just as much as I do and would go out in the boat every weekend weather permitting. Just because she throws back the pretty ones doesn't make her any less a fisherman. Her words not mine.

Big_Ren
19-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Hi Drifta

Welcome to the site mate. There's a fair argument you could mount for leaving the better half at home sometimes so that you can surprise her with your catch of................................................ .................................................. .................................skinless, boneless fillets ;D

Best of luck. Hope ya catch heaps of ugly fish ;)

Cheers
Paul

Poodroo
19-09-2006, 08:15 PM
Hi again Drifta, well here is an idea and I hope she isn't looking over your shoulder whilst reading this. ::) When you catch a pretty fish just tell her you have to keep it because the hook lodged into its gills and it wouldn't survive anyhow. ;D Just trying to help you out mate. ;)

Poodroo

Great_White
19-09-2006, 10:13 PM
Hi Drifta, welcome to ausfish :) :) :) They are a nice looking fish but they taste even better than the look ;D ;D ;D

So you may need to target the ugly looking ones to keep the MRS happy :D :D :D

Peter :)

lippa
19-09-2006, 10:27 PM
parrot-the best eating fish out there!!!!!! ::)

fishingjew
19-09-2006, 10:58 PM
Mate do what i did the wife wanted to come out side with me to see what all the fuss was about the day i took her out it was blowing a 2o knot s/e didnt go to far out as i knew what the outcome would be. pulled up baited her line droped it down gave it to her the fishing rod that is didnt bother with mine one minute later she hands me back her rod leans over the side back inside i go she has never stepped back into the boat even though i keep asking if she wants to come :-[

russell 8-)

Hornblower
20-09-2006, 04:04 AM
Yes Dave she does but the difference is she doesn't have to watch me cut it's throat and gut it first.

She doen't have to watch - she can close her eyes ;D ;D ;D

Welcome aboard, mate and to your wife as well, she should get her own membership and brave the masses ;) ;) ;)

Dirtysanchez
20-09-2006, 08:58 AM
Just tell her the fish isn't a mark on her beauty & she will go red and look away, then you quickly lop it's head off and declare it a Bream or snapper :D

major-defect
20-09-2006, 09:16 AM
Drifta you've got to convince her that they taste better than they look

onerabbit
20-09-2006, 03:38 PM
Just smuggle one home & let her try it before she knows what it is, I'm sure she will change her mind then.

On the other hand, I cant bring myself to keep some fish either, even if they are legal.

Muzz

onerabbit
20-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Close-up.

Bundy_Burp
20-09-2006, 05:14 PM
Welcome to Ausfish Drifta

Bundy 8-)

Drifta
20-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Hi onerabbit
Excuse my ignorance but is that fish some sort of parrot. The one I caught apart from being much longer and thicker had more of a peak than teeth and it was mainly a dark turquoise colour with yellow and black markings. I estimate it would have been about 50-60cm long and probably a good few kilos in weight. Unfortunately someone forgot the camera so I don't have any photos. What a time to forget the camera as we also sighted a whale inside the Keppels on our way out to the islands. It was the first time I have ever seen one and what a truly amazing experience. Also thanks for all of the feedback and suggestions guys, much appreciated.

Homer_Jay
23-09-2006, 08:40 AM
Welcome aboard Drifta

I think it might be best to find a new deckie and leave the MRS at home!!

I dont think we blokes will ever understand how the mind of the female species works. I sure know I dont! :-/

onerabbit
23-09-2006, 11:40 AM
Hi Drifta,

the fish pictured is a Southern Maori Wrasse. They only get a bit over a foot long & are so pretty we can never bring ourselves to kill them, although they are apparently a good feed.

From your description of the teeth , it sounds like you caught a true parrot-fish, dont think It's pretty looks would have stopped me from dropping it in the fish-box.

Muzz

Dignity
24-09-2006, 05:49 PM
Drifta, sounds like a true parrot - the scales on these are quite large altholugh have never eaten one. Caoght them up on the Swains in shallow water and they go like the clappers. Catch a stargazer next and your missus will want it thrown back because it looks so ugly but good eating none the less.

sam