PDA

View Full Version : Are Bananas a Myth or not?

West_Oz_Defector
20-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Now this may sound completely mad, But my brother in law who is a mead keen Fisho in WA. Will not under any circumstances allow bananas on his boat.
He says that you absolutely cannot bring Bananas on the boat as they are Bad Luck?
Does anyone know of this Bad Ju Ju?
Can anyone explain this and the reasons and why Bananas?
Or is it an old wives tale?

Cheers & Beers
Lee :-/

seatime
20-09-2006, 04:38 PM
Aren't all those superstitions 'Old Wives Tales'?

A lot of them come from the sailing ship era when the sailors were very superstitious. Life was tough on those ships and there were many perils at sea. Many of the catastrophies were unexplainable and so bad luck was often used as an excuse.

Google would probably find most of the old wives tales and provide the background on where they came from.
There's probably not a lot of relevance today because we understand there is no such thing as bad luck, only bad management. :)

regards

snapattack
20-09-2006, 04:47 PM
NO BANANA'S and NO GREEN JOCKS.

I have actually seen a sign written just like this on a charter boat. One bloke had green jocks on and the skipper made him take em off and throw em over.

Snap

marlinqld
20-09-2006, 05:07 PM
the bananas comes from the early explorers days.

bananas allegedly give off a gas in the holds during a voyage. this gas was supposed to have destroyed the edibility off other fruits and foods on the boat. thus alot of fruits etc were thrown overboard, which led to vitamin deficiencies and the dreaded scurvy, which was ripe during those days of sail ships and exploration.

therefore if no bananas were on the vessel, no food went bad less scurvy healthier crew.

Thats what i was told anyway, from an uncle who wa s apro fisherman for 40 years down near jervis bay.

mike
PS: i wont allow bananas or green jocks on my boat either. If a woman comeson board with green knickers, she has to take them off and hand them to the skipper.......hey that would be me ;D oops....did i say that aloud in here? ;) ;) :o ::) :P ::) :P 8-) ;D ;)

shayned
20-09-2006, 05:22 PM
Mike'
If they've turned green you're welcome to 'em!!!!!! ;D ;D

a_big_red_1
20-09-2006, 05:22 PM
lol, i have a mate that wont let anybody take bananas or lemmons on his boat :-/

his boat so i have to respect what goes ;)
for me i have taken bananas on my boat and still had a good catch

Daz

zulu
20-09-2006, 05:38 PM
A mate of mine whom I consider to be a top Fisho came for a fish on my boat out to the Barwons about 18 months ago. After the best Snapper session I have ever experienced, he pulls out a bunch of bananas from his lunchbox, he then explains to me, that he won't go fishing with out them!
Go figure :-?

seatime
20-09-2006, 07:11 PM
the bananas comes from the early explorers days.

bananas allegedly give off a gas in the holds during a voyage. this gas was supposed to have destroyed the edibility off other fruits and foods on the boat. thus alot of fruits etc were thrown overboard, which led to vitamin deficiencies and the dreaded scurvy, which was ripe during those days of sail ships and exploration.

therefore if no bananas were on the vessel, no food went bad less scurvy healthier crew.

Thats what i was told anyway, from an uncle who wa s apro fisherman for 40 years down near jervis bay.

mike
PS: i wont allow bananas or green jocks on my boat either. If a woman comeson board with green knickers, she has to take them off and hand them to the skipper.......hey that would be me #;D oops....did i say that aloud in here? #;) ;) :o ::) :P ::) :P 8-) ;D ;)

that makes sense Mike, as I understand it the earliest form of refrigerated transport was developed for bananas. Banana boats from Sth America to USA were the first form of perishable goods transport.

Murks
20-09-2006, 07:14 PM
well the way i see it is i definitely NEVER take BANANAS but my luck lately my instincts tell me i am gunna start with one then a bunch
Brett

Hornblower
21-09-2006, 02:41 AM
Bananas or no bananas, that is the question :-? :-? With luck like mine, I won't tempt fate - no bananas on my boat.

Talk about my luck,

1) I am the only person who could be struck by lightning inside a movie theatre; :o :o :o and

2) If it was raining blondes, I would be struck down by a homosexual with piles. :'( :'( :'(

That's why no bananas on my boat ;) ;) ;)

marlinqld
21-09-2006, 05:21 AM
Another superstition......when i was working on trawlers, if a seahorse came up in the nets, it went straight inside and was placed near the wheel..... good luck to have a seahorse there

Mike

Louis
21-09-2006, 06:37 AM
It is just an old superstition which has been around since Adam was a boy.

Don't give in to this rubbish.

Since I was a kid fishing from a canoe off the shore of the Wynnum waterfront, I have regularly taken bananas with me for lunch, predominately because my Mother always kept a bowl of fruit on the table and me being lazy, it was always easier to just grab a couple of bananas and an apple rather than actually making sandwiches for myself etc.

It will not affect your catches at all.

Louis

marlinqld
21-09-2006, 06:47 AM
i am not going to push luck louis....... better safe than sorry......how did the crabbing go the other day mate? Hope you got a feed. Was nice meeting you at the ramp and putting a face to a name. ;D

Mike

NeilD
21-09-2006, 06:52 AM
Originally the story came from the Pacific Islanders who discovered that Bananas ripened the fruit they carried for stores on their long journeys too early and it spoiled. They worked out that taking Bananas on these trips was very bad luck. The Europeans were told this and at first did not listen. As Marlin Mike explained they soon learned the error of their ways.

No Bananas for me thanks

Neil

jimbamb
21-09-2006, 07:11 AM
BAH HUMBUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

load of old garbage!!!

Funny thing is i still won't take bananas aboard!!!

There comin to get me soon i recon.....

Louis
21-09-2006, 07:12 AM
G'day Mike,

Yes, it was definitely nice to be able to meet you and put a face to the name.

With regards to the crabs. I don't know yet. I was going to go out and check the pots this morning but I slept in accidentally instead.

Doesn't matter, I'll get up early and go out tomorrow. I put a large frozen whole catfish in each pot so there should still be enough bait in each pot to keep tempting crabs into the pots until, at least, the early hours of tomorrow morning.

An average catch from the four pots that I put out in the area, (i.e. along the mangroves in the boat passage near Fisherman’s Island), would be one keeper Muddie and one or two keeper sandies.

It isn't a great catch, but fishing for me these days is more about getting out and enjoying nature and the environment and if I catch something it is just a bonus.

Louis

DR
21-09-2006, 08:32 AM
bananas are fine so long as you don't have a hold full of other perishable fruit ;)

still can't work out why people believe all this sort of twaddle in this day & age... may be different if you were from uncivilised & backward country that still lives in the dark ages & believes there is a god or gods that controls your destiny ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D gimme a break, your supposed to be educated people there is no scientific evidence to back any of this up, only people blaming things that go wrong ( an everyday occurance ) on superstition...all goes back to when the smarter people got control by using fear against people..a bit like politicians.

BOOOOO, look out for the BOOGEYMAN

a_big_red_1
21-09-2006, 08:52 AM
bananas are fine so long as you don't have a hold full of other perishable fruit ;)

still can't work out why people believe all this sort of twaddle in this day & age... may be different if you were from uncivilised & backward country that still lives in the dark ages & believes there is a god or gods that controls your destiny #;D ;D ;D ;D ;D gimme a break, your supposed to be educated people there is no scientific evidence to back any of this up, only people blaming things that go wrong ( an everyday occurance ) on superstition...all goes back to when the smarter people got control by using fear against people..a bit like politicians.

BOOOOO, look out for the BOOGEYMAN

DR, each to there own i suppose, ::) ::)

Daz

mini696
21-09-2006, 09:27 AM
I'll take Bananas on my boat.

They are a great source of energy, and if my Avocado's need ripening, bananas work very well!!

Stumpy-USA2
21-09-2006, 10:48 AM
I will not allow them on my boat at all for any reason. I have taken them on my boat before and had no problems, but there was one time that ruined it for me. Brand new boat, first trip to the lake, dropped it in the water and fired the engine. Almost immediately the warning buzzer started sounding. I shut it off as fast as I could and then it hit me. The water pump on the motor had seized up. I didn't even get to leave the ramp area. After we had reloaded the boat onto the trailer my brother goes to the rear storage compartment and pulls out a nice ripe banana and eats it. That was the only time anything like that had ever happened to me, and I'm 100% positive that it was just a coincidence but from that point on no bananas on the boat. And I like bananas, just won't take them fishing.

Casey

shayned
21-09-2006, 10:54 AM
The price they are at the moment, I wouldn't have thought this would be much of a problem for any one. ;)

Fishing_Widow
21-09-2006, 12:24 PM
No bananas on our boat. Ian and I have seen the banana curse in action a few times and it is not only the real bananas that cause it.

We had to change sunscreen last year because we could not get it anymore. Well I suggested Banana Boat because I had heard some good reports on it. We didn't get sunburnt but jeez we had the worst run of luck on the fish than we ever had. We got rid of the Banana Boat and had the best trip.

I used to tell him it was all superstition but after seeing that and hearing about a few others I am not so sure. :o

Each to their own I suppose but the power of the mind is a huge thing.

Nomes :)

supertinny
21-09-2006, 01:07 PM
a running joke with a friend of mine is that i sneek a banana into his boat at the ramp. Then call him up on the radio and tell him once we are fishing. Always catch more fish than him. ::) ;D

a_big_red_1
21-09-2006, 01:33 PM
a running joke with a friend of mine is that i sneek a banana into his boat at the ramp. Then call him up on the radio and tell him once we are fishing. Always catch more fish than him. ::) ;D

LOL, sneeky........ thats just a pisser ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Daz

wessel
21-09-2006, 01:48 PM
That is just a bastard thing to do to a m8.

Brilliant idea though ;)

Wess

Dirtysanchez
21-09-2006, 03:03 PM
Hmm, interesting, I went on a charter out of the Whitsundays once and no one caught any keepers. I caught a decent wrasse of about 6 KG, but being we were camping I offered it up to the others on the boat and when there were no takers I put him back quick.

In the arvo on the way back in an old bloke with us was seen hooking into a banana & the decky went off about it ! I said come on mate, no one said anything to anyone B4 we departed to shut the F up !

The old bloke was genuinely shocked and concerned, I didn't think it was appropriate, the poor catch rate probably had more to do with the amount of ciggy butts going over the side from the decky, in a marine park I believe too ! >:(

finding_time
21-09-2006, 03:21 PM
There was a group of islanders that left there island in the tinnie and it broke down. 3 or 4 months later they were picked up by a ship,they had lived on raw fish and sharks and drank rain water and sharks blood. It made all the papers about 9 months ago, it was reported that they had gone for a short fishing trip and had only a few liters of water onboard and a bunch of BANANAS for food!!!!! That's enough for me! No bananas on my boat ;) :)

Ian

barrajack
21-09-2006, 08:36 PM
a few years back we had this discussion at the local sport fishjing club, one member sait we were all full of s..t and was going away the following weekend fishing.
He drove all the way from the Gold Coast to Hervey Bay with a bunch of bananas determined to prove all of us wrong, only to find when he got there he had left his fishing gear behind.
Now you tell me ;D

Jeremy
21-09-2006, 08:43 PM
no bananas and no green jocks on my boat either!

Jeremy

DR
22-09-2006, 07:57 AM
At least with the banana myth you can see why, with other fruit going off & snakes etc. coming on board..... but why the hell are GREEN JOCKS bad luck :-?????????

cdg81
22-09-2006, 05:20 PM
definatly no nanas

rossramage
23-09-2006, 06:14 AM
i have not heard the one about green jocks, but i have heard that some people dont like green buckets on board. Ross

maztez
23-09-2006, 07:06 AM
Definately NO BANANAS allowed on the MISTRESS .our deckie ADAM (7yo) is a banana addict however he gets cronic flatulence from eating them ::)so they are banned
cheers Terry ;D ;D

Sportfish_5
23-09-2006, 07:23 AM
The banana jinx is a load of BS

Just an excuse for no fish

Banana skins catch stripey marlin ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

DR
23-09-2006, 04:49 PM
c'mon fellas, all of you that are scared to have green undies on board..., please tell me why????????

davez104
23-09-2006, 05:15 PM
I'm with you DR, whats the go with the green jocks? Have never heard that one.

Dave.

DICER
26-09-2006, 09:55 AM
If bananas give off the ripening gas ethylene, then what do green jocks give off? Are they worse than bananas?

Geoff_Atkinson
26-09-2006, 01:34 PM
No bananas, Apples, Citrus or DOCKERS SUPPORTERS!!! :'( :'( :'(

DR
26-09-2006, 01:54 PM
does ANYONE know why green jocks are bad luck??? or is everyone falling for a superstition because someone said it was bad luck & you agree, even if you don't know why.... ::)

need to know, so i can know why i shouldn't be wearing them when i do :o ;D