PDA

View Full Version : Weather forecast woes

charleville
26-09-2006, 09:24 AM
There I was last night, all excited about going fishing today. :(

The BoM said that it would be 10 - 15knots on the Bay with seas to 0.7m and Seabreeze said that it would be ....well you can see their forecast below.

At least the weather bureau had the sense to change their forecast this morning when they looked out of the window. #;) #Seabreeze is still showing ideal conditions when the weather beacons and the sky are all telling me that it is not. #:'(

Have been caught out by the Seabreeze forecasts a bit lately. #>:( #Getting a bit sceptical now. #:(

Darryl
26-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Been blowing 15 all morning here in the Southern Bay , gusting up to 20 at times i reckon. Seabreeze has been way off ....

Pistol_P
26-09-2006, 09:59 AM
how you going charlie, you mjnd telling me what site you get that graph from ;) ty pete.

ROB80
26-09-2006, 10:14 AM
www.seabreeze.com.au

charleville
26-09-2006, 10:14 AM
, you mjnd telling me what site you get that graph from ;)

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/qld.asp

charleville
26-09-2006, 10:17 AM
Been blowing 15 all morning here in the Southern Bay , gusting up to 20 at times i reckon. Seabreeze has been way off ....

Thanks Crestcutter. You have made up my mind - I shall forget about hoping that the wind will settle today. The BoM appear to have it right today athough they changed their forecast overnight...

T1
26-09-2006, 10:21 AM
Hey Bruce, you must be bored! That is some graphic you've posted - i pay my graphic designers good money to produce that sort of material...

Don't want a part-time job seeing you can't get out there to fish do you? ;)

Take Care T

Pistol_P
26-09-2006, 10:23 AM
thanks guys

charleville
26-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Hey Bruce, you must be bored! #That is some graphic you've posted - i pay my graphic designers good money to produce that sort of material...

Don't want a part-time job seeing you can't get out there to fish do you? #;)

;D ;D ;D Not likely, mate!!! ;D ;D ;D When I am not fishing I am most likely to be snoozing. ;)

I am "beta testing" some very user friendly software that allows me to do all of that stuff really quickly. When it is due for release, I shall mention it on this site as the speed that I can do that stuff, including one-click resizing of pictures etc, will possibly be of interest to a few people on this site to help make their posts of pictures easier and more informative.

( I hasten to add that I have no involvement nor commercial interest in the development of that software.)

BrandonH
26-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Yeah i have noticed seabreeze being off a bit of late :-/ but i think you need to check all of them b4 heading out anywhere in the bay.

www.seabreeze.com.au

http://www.bom.gov.au/marine/forecasts.shtml

Current observations
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ60900.shtml

and

http://www.buoyweather.com/

I try and get an average from all these sources and then look out the window ;D ;D

Cheers N good weather!!!!!

Brandon...

Slient
26-09-2006, 01:03 PM
Bruce,

I noticed your splendid graphic design pictures in the past and I like your work. What program you use?

Hey your have turned black (platinum)! Congrat’s

Silent

Murks
26-09-2006, 02:31 PM
interesting report..the only report i look at is what the beacons are saying..generally pretty close
Congratulation on getting the PLATINUM Membership status

jim_bream
26-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Cheers for the links, gottem bookmarked!
jimbo
P.S. Any webcams of the bay?

NeilD
26-09-2006, 06:58 PM
I like Seabreeze because they usually give me the forcast I am looking for ;). It may not be right but it looks better than BOM's so I go fishing. Sometimes you get caught out though ;D

Neil

charleville
27-09-2006, 05:08 AM
I noticed your splendid graphic design pictures in the past and I like your work. What program you use?

Hey your have turned black (platinum)! Congrat’s

Thanks to Silent and Murks re the Platinum thing. # ;) #Regrettably, it #is a sad reminder that I spend too much time sitting in front of a screen when I should really be outside doing something more healthy. #:( #Actually, next week, I am going to buy one of those new Apple MacBooks with a wireless connection so that I can sit out in the backyard accessing Ausfish. #Not sure if that will be any more healthy though. #;D

Silent - Sorry, mate, I cannot tell you the software that I use to do the graphics at this stage as I am sworn to secrecy about its name and origin until it gets launched which will probably be within the next month or two. #You can actually do all of the things that I do using old favorites such as Powerpoint and Photoshop but the thing that I am using is infinitely quicker and cheaper. #eg the graphic that I did at the top of this report would not have taken me any more than about two minutes to do excluding walking outside to take the picture and download it to the computer, all of which probably took another two minutes. #

Just to test that, I have just timed myself doing the graphic below and yes, it took less than two minutes including resizing ...

charleville
27-09-2006, 05:19 AM
Any webcams of the bay?

No Mate - none of the Bay per se.

There was one at the Southport Seaway but the last few times that I looked, it was not working.

Those beacons tell the story that you need though. Of course, there can be a few micro-climatic areas in an area as large as Moreton Bay so we are being perhaps a tad unfair to expect that a simple "Moreton Bay" forecast will tell the whole story right across the bay.

Darryl
27-09-2006, 05:51 AM
Todays weather for the Southern Bay at 5 50 am. Overcast with a 2-5 knots from N/E. I must go and see what seabreeze is saying and compare.

Slient
27-09-2006, 07:36 AM
Silent - Sorry, mate, I cannot tell you the software that I use to do the graphics at this stage as I am sworn to secrecy about its name and origin until it gets launched which will probably be within the next month or two. #You can actually do all of the things that I do using old favorites such as Powerpoint and Photoshop but the thing that I am using is infinitely quicker and cheaper. #eg the graphic that I did at the top of this report would not have taken me any more than about two minutes to do excluding walking outside to take the picture and download it to the computer, all of which probably took another two minutes. #

Just to test that, I have just timed myself doing the graphic below and yes, it took less than two minutes including resizing ...
No worries mate, anyway I'm very interesting in the graphic software within easy way like you say 2 minutes job.
Forwarding to see the new product sooner.
Keep and post splendid pictures... ;D sorry it's unhealthy thing... ;D

Cheers
Silent

marlinqld
27-09-2006, 07:41 AM
If in doubt, and the sites reports look border line, i go to the ramp.....at worst i go home and have lost an hours sleep by going down and seeing what its ACTUALLY like on the bay when at the ramp

Mike

solwota
27-09-2006, 04:23 PM
I'm with you horse. Keep lookin till you find a good forecast ;) ;D

NEWBY
27-09-2006, 07:38 PM
Hey Bruce, you must be bored! #That is some graphic you've posted - i pay my graphic designers good money to produce that sort of material...

Don't want a part-time job seeing you can't get out there to fish do you? #;)

;D ;D ;D #Not likely, mate!!! #;D ;D ;D #When I am not fishing I am most likely to be snoozing. #;)

I am "beta testing" some very user friendly software that allows me to do all of that stuff really quickly. #When it is due for release, I shall mention it on this site as the speed that I can do that stuff, including one-click resizing of pictures etc, will possibly be of interest to a few people on this site to help make their posts of pictures easier and more informative. #

( I hasten to add that I have no involvement nor commercial interest in the development of that software.)
I am testing microsoft beta, good program, comprehensive but a fair few glitches to date, especially with outlook.
Try buoyweather fro a more accurate forcast. It apparently comes from NASA and seems a lot more accurate than BOM. You can also pinpoint where you want the report from. EG I can see what the winds are offshore anywhere up and down the coast. i am not sure where BOM are saying some of the predictions are. it is free if you dont want the 7 day forcast. www.buoyweather.com