PDA

View Full Version : Be honest, whos taken a dive?

subzero
27-09-2006, 08:04 AM
Hi all, because of another post on here, it got me thinking as to wether or not this is something that happens to many of us sooner or later. I for one have ended up in the drink and wrecked my mobile phone. (Just once though)
I just thought it might be interesting to see the results.

Thought I had better add the option of not falling out, otherwise it's not a true poll. Have done so now.
Cheers Lloyd

DR
27-09-2006, 08:36 AM
yep, not paying attention to getting out of the boat. I was admiring a boat on the ramp & hooked my foot on the bow rail as i climbed out.. result was me flat on my face in a foot of water, embarrassed & ruined a phone :-[ ;D ;D

murf
27-09-2006, 08:59 AM
fishing out of mates 13' milligan when the wash from another boat came through and caught me off balance, went to sit on the gunwale to recover balance :) missed and sat outside the boat ;D did not actually fall out as my feet were still inside the boat on the floor ;)but i was swimming none the less. other boat crew were laughing like mad and so was the skip, so much so he couldn't stop laughing to pull me back in. funny how in a small town the news beats you back to shore. :-[
Murf

Jitlands
27-09-2006, 09:05 AM
Best I have ever seen
Fisheries officer getting into our boat at the kawana ramp
foot slipped and he pulverised the family jewels on the gunnell
It was a big one , he was laying on the sand beside the boat holding the affected area with tears in his eyes, wimpering quietly.

Took about 5 min before we could help him to a seat

JEWIENEWIE
27-09-2006, 09:49 AM
Havent fallen out of a boat yet but on a recent trip over to wathumba creek, i was skippering my mates boat with him in it. We were motoring along when a school of bait fish erupted on the surface i took my hands of the wheel to point in the general direction when as soon as i let go of the wheel the boat veered savagely to the right slamming my mate against the side of the boat, and then me on top of him. I some how managed to kick the throttle back with my foot!! After some swearing and cursing from the boat owner, i commented that he needs to get his steering looked at. Anyone know why the boat veered so savagegly when i let go of the wheel? I have never experienced this before and a lesson was learned. Never let go of the wheel and ask the boat owner if there is anything i should Know about.
Jewie

shayned
27-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Maybe should be asking how many times. :-[

Jitlands
27-09-2006, 09:55 AM
I came extreemly close after an over exuberant cast net throw, somehow managed to get a foot under the gunnel and stay in

Argle
27-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Never fallen out personally but a mate (and fellow Ausfish member) seems to do it on a regular basis but not on the water :-? He seems to manage to fall out/off the boat while its on the trailer in the shed ;D ;D ;D Usually after a few rums while playing with the GPS ;D ;D

Cheers and Beers
Scott

stevedemon
27-09-2006, 10:27 AM
Hi all
well subzero i would be a lair if i stated i have never fallen off a boat not because of alcohol i was about 10yrs old and missed the depth of water boat went straight over the top i was still holding the anchor

and the reason i do not allow any more than 2 beers per person is a mate was drunk fell over board in the dark lucky i had the life jackets handy and droped it on his head as i went passed turned around and dragged his rear end on board

have also step of my seat hit a pilly with feet and nearly over the side

it is so easy to do safety first at all times and no bloody drunks on board my vessel

Cheer ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

NeilD
27-09-2006, 10:27 AM
Last christmas over at Myora I was pulling the starter cord and it slipped out of my hand and ripped my Spotters off my head, breaking the lanyard in the process. I reached out for them as they sank rapidly from sight. I reached so far there was no way I was getting back in the boat so I went for it and caught up with them about 8ft down. Popped up and the tinny was about 20 ft :oaway sailing in the 15kn breeze. Getting back in the 12ft tender was fun ;D :-X.

lots of near misses in larger boats some at night that could have had serious consequences

Neil

griz066
27-09-2006, 11:00 AM
I aint swimming with the sharks no matter who pushes me ;D ;D

blaze
27-09-2006, 11:04 AM
never fell out but
jumped out once very close to shore with 2 foot of snow on the ground (highland lakes in tassie) and went down over my head in near frozen water. First reaction was to try and get into the boat and that was a failure, then flounder by this time about 2 meters to shore. Have never done it again and always make sure the boat is firmly forced up the bank now before disimbarking
cheers
blaze

murf
27-09-2006, 11:28 AM
Many many moons ago we were up the creek crabbing in the mates 12’ punt. I recall there might have been a couple of liquid ambers involved. ;) Just after dark the mate pulls up against the bank to take a leak, well he stands up at the back of the boat and gets it going, 8-) when that pesky wash from another boat has him over balanced ;D and face first over the side he goes into a foot of water and mud. :) :-[ :-[ I was laughing so hard that I only just managed to get my pants down before I wet myself. ;D ;D ;D :-[
Why is it that its your mates that laugh the hardest when things go pear shaped?
Murf

backhoe
27-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Technically have never fallen out of a boat but have been wet quite a few times
1. Fallen between boats multiple times whilst tranferring from a big boat to the tinnie
2. Jumped out at ramps and onto beaches into water that was a bit too deep, once were the water dropped of from a sandbank so qickl I was over my head but could reach out and touch the bank
3. Sunk a boat once but in water deep enough to stand up in. Don't ask
Thankfully now I'm older and wiser these things haven't happened for a while (touch wood)
Kev

mini696
27-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Fallen out once or twice, usually cos I was attempting something silly at the thime though.

Fallen off dinghys and cats (sailing) plenty of times from missing hiking straps or trapease wires etc.

mini696
27-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Fallen out once or twice, usually cos I was attempting something silly at the thime though.

Fallen off dinghys and cats (sailing) plenty of times from missing hiking straps or trapease wires etc.

nob
27-09-2006, 12:40 PM
never fallen out lost 3 phones though. :'(

Lone_Wolf
27-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Gee, for a minute there, I thought this was a thread on Italian soccer, following their World Cup antics. ;D ;D

I was coming back from Straddie one winters morning. We decided to clean the fish on an adjacent mudbank before hitting the boat ramp. As we approached, I jumped out onto what looked like firmish mud/sand only to end up waist deep in mud. I still had my waders on which made it more difficult to move.

You would expect your long time fishing buddy Mal to help out wouldn't you? He said he would have, however he could not stop laughing long enough to lend a hand!! >:(

LW

Rocket439
27-09-2006, 01:35 PM
had to jump in after i accidently dropped a rod. thats the closest i've been!

stevedemon
27-09-2006, 02:06 PM
HI all oh the times we wish we had videos cams onboard from some of the comments i reckon we could make some bloody good home comedy movies move over Abbott and costello, Dean martin and Jerry Lewis
and Laurel and Hardy ;D ::) ;D ::) ;D ::) ;D ::) ;D ::) ;D :o :o :o 8-) 8-) 8-)talking to the wife she wishes she had a video cam for some of the things i have done over the years but hay what is life with out some fun, games and stuff-up's comedy company 103 ::) ;D 8-) ::) 8-) ;D ;)

Question who has placed and anchor down felt good and secure blowing a gale your on the right side of island to camp for night wake up next morning and you are not where you anchored but some where between 5 to 10 n/m from where you started and beached upon and island mate has been awake for half hr fishing over the side and laughing at the same time asking where the hell are we
gale was 25+ in moreton bay put in behind the island for night and end up on king island :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

finga64
27-09-2006, 02:31 PM
Technically never fallen out but pretty well jumped in one day when the boat was going flat out.
Here's the story:
The cook and I are motoring up the Logan river testing a new second-hand motor on the little fibreglass boat. It's a tiller
Going really good and really fast until the little boat ran over a log about 150mm Dia. and about 2m long square on. Hit it fair in the middle and snapped it in two.
I saw it coming but couldn't stop quick enough. I felt my tiller arm get higher so looked behind and saw the whole outboard up in the air with the prop still spinning. It was knocked clean off by hitting the log.
According to the law of gravity what goes up must come down and the outboard did...into the drink (it stopped then) with me still hanging onto the tiller. The cook doesn't know what's happening just sees my big butt going out the back of the boat. She grabs my shorts and pulls me back in and I pull the outboard back in. When the outboard gets to the top the cowl comes off so I goes duck diving again with the tiller still in my hand. Finally gets everything in the boat (including me and the broken in half log). Got the boat and outboard back to the ramp (I love tidal waters) got home and had the motor going again that arfternoon. It's never gone so good after the swim as I found a couple of little problems and fixed them straight away.#:)
Amasingly the boat wasn't damaged at all #:)
Now I have a shirt with upsidedown writing on the back saying "If you can read this pull me back into the boat" :)
Still have the log too ;)

fishingjew
27-09-2006, 02:40 PM
Sitting in my cousins tinnie of amity next thing im treadind water beside it wake from another boat he lost the throttle handle out of his hand the boat swamped he got back in over she went and him climbing back on the bottom saying quick get up before the sharks get you i could not stop laughing turned and swam the 300 meters back to shore and left him still clinging to the upturned tinnie another boat went out and picked him up and towed the boat back to shore i never let him forget it

rando
27-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Standing on the bow of my mates tri-maran, anchor and chain in hand as we sail up to an anchorage when he unexpectedly threw in a tack,,, the jib came across quicker than i expected and gave me just enough of a shove to get me off balance and in I went. I was 1/2 way to the bottom before i realised i had better let go of the anchor and chain. ;D ;D
The boat sailed over the top of me ,,and i came out of the water onto the stern, like a polaris missile :o :o. They still rib me about it today :)

solwota
27-09-2006, 04:06 PM
standing on the back of my dory on the west coast of cape yory steering my tiller with my foot while spotting schools of golden trevally with a couple of visitors on board......ok in hinsight i can see it was stupid ....but overbalanced slightly and just kicked the throttle a bit nad over the transom i went. Visitors were laughing....something about walking on water i think [smiley=rolleyes.gif]

Steve_Monckton
27-09-2006, 04:30 PM
G'day, I had exactly the same type of dunking as solwota last year. Steering with my foot while casting out along the bank of the Richmond and somehow twisted the throttle as I was steering. Got 6/10 for the duck dive off the back of my boat from my passengers. The one I remember best was the one down at Apple Tree Flat near Ashford. Back then the Fishermans camp hole was big and deep with house size boulders just under the surface and my then brother in law offered to take me to the top of the hole in his 10' punt with an 8hp o/b.. There were 3 of us on board and there were 3 rods with lures attached hanging off the bow of the boat. I was up the front and halfway up the hole we hit one of those big rocks under the surface and I rolled out the front into the river amidst howls of laughter. As I pulled myself back on board my rod bucked every time I kicked my legs and I found I had two sets of trebles firmly embedded in the calf of my right leg. Amidst howls of "git the gaff, it's a big one" and "tighten the drag and set the hooks" I got my pliers out and proceeded to remove the hooks from my leg. I have been into catch and release ever since. Cheers, steve.

Owen
27-09-2006, 06:43 PM
I've almost fallen out whilst trolling once on my own. Let go of the wheel to do something and caught a bit of chop on an angle. Scary thought when you're a couple of k's from shore and the boat's doing 7 or 8 km/hr. Pretty sure my fitness level is such that I would have died of exhaustion before getting to shore ;)
Lanyard now goes on.

Only other time was when I pulled up at a ramp and jumped over the side thinking I was in a couple of feet of water, but landed beside the ramp in about 8 feet of water ;D

cheers,
Owen

Great_White
27-09-2006, 07:19 PM
Does a canoe count #;D ;D ;D

Going back many years at a school camp, several of us tipped over, lucky we all had life jackets on as I tend to swim like a brick #;D ;D ;D

Peter #:)

NEWBY
27-09-2006, 08:28 PM
Hmmmm mobile phones on boats. I have wrecked a few but the one that springs to mind is when my old boss rang me when I was on the Mandurah estury taking a well earned couple of days off after a very stressful year. He gave me a fair old mouthfull and I sat there and thought "F%$K him"and threw the phone over the edge. Needless to say, it was a company phone anyway and I opened another crownie. He came all the way from Perth to Mandurah, (about 120ks) on the SUNDAy to give me hell fro not answering my phone for a few days and it is then that I explained my accident to him. He he he. He bought me a new one.
now back to the subject, I personally have never fallen out of a boat or come close. I have hit a reef, a few sandbars and 2 jetties but I must have a strong grip. i stayed dry.

DNO40
28-09-2006, 05:53 AM
Not only have I fallen out ( off a gang plank - Pissed) I have also fallen into a boat off the wharf in Darwin (also pissed). Three broken Ribs - That hurt !

DNO

Dirtysanchez
28-09-2006, 10:54 AM
Never have myself, but took a bloke with me when I joined a fishing club, the other guys called him Captain Kerplonk. He was ex captain of the fishing club. Anyway, middle of the night he was into the rumbo and halfway through the bottle.. Downs a few panadiene Forte for his bad back and me thinks, not a good combo !!

About half an hour later he lights a smoke next to the petrol tank, staggers twice and is over the side !! ;D ;D

I jumped up and grabbed his arm as he surfaced to pull him in and he's at me calling me all names under the sun for pushing him over !

Next day at the weigh in the boys tell me its a regular occurance & they awarded me a prize for not giving him a punch in the head ! :o

Sandman
28-09-2006, 12:21 PM
Once and i wasnt even boating ;D Helped a guy at the colmslie put his boat on the trailer , as i was being lazy and not wanting to get wet , thought i would jum off the boat onto the pontoon. Well didnt i miss judge the jump lost the mobile after it hissed and splattered ;D

luskin
28-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Up at Awoonga in June.

Quite cool at that time

Drifting casting near dingo island with a mate.

Hear a bang and he's locked up the spool when side casting and promptly dropped rod and reel over the side. ;D

Looks at me and say's ....shit

I say... well jump. go. go. I'm not :D :D

Funniest thing I've seen :)

Caught a 40lber that evening too

Cheers

Sy

Fishin_Dan
28-09-2006, 03:31 PM
Many years ago while trying to "prove" to a mate that a canoe was stable, I rocked it side to side... He'd never been in a canoe before, and as I tilted left, he leant VERY right to stop falling... Of course as I tilted right again (That's how you rock! :P), over we went...

Does pushing a boat off at a ramp, and not knowing about a hole at the end of it (And ending up waist deep) count as well? ;D

bidkev
28-09-2006, 04:09 PM
Yep! Bloody big wash hit me sideways on and threw me over the side, last time at the Pin :o

No kill switch attached and a hard swim for a 58 yr old fart to catch up with the tinny. Lesson learned..........if it's there...it's there for a reason so use the bugger! ::)

Strange thing was, the only other thing to go over the side was the bucket of bream I had caught.....lucky not to lose my tackle.........climbing back in that is ;) ;D ;D

kev

Be on your guard against a silent dog and still water.
Latin Proverb

BrandonH
28-09-2006, 06:16 PM
We capsized canoes back in school on purpose!!! Then had to get the bloody heavy fiberglass things up over another "upright" canoe still in the middle of the creek!! and tip all the water out and get the 3 of us back in without having to do it all over again ;D ;D ;D

but about 5 years ago I was castneting with a mate in his 10 foot tinny when i hooked a snag with it :'( went over and was able to budge it so started lifting the snag up. Well I got the main part of the snag/tree :-/ to the surface and grab hold of the biggest lump i could see, said to me mate hang on and went to lift it.. the boat dipped down so far water started pouring into the back of it and my mate was launched towards me near knocking me over the back!!!! let go of the net just in time to be able to fall on my back onto the seat :'( Was sore and sitting with half a foot of water in the boat for the slow row back to the ramp :-[ :-X

Cheers
Brandon...

SURF_SNIPER
29-09-2006, 09:42 AM
went over in a canoe in nudgee canal trolling for flat head, brother and i both went difernet ways at the same time and got the wobble up till we went over ;D

i reckon if you havent nearly gone over in a boat well your not fishing hard enough ;D

major-defect
29-09-2006, 09:47 AM
My dad had just bought a second hand tinny front steer with a pull start.I volunteered to start the motor and said to dad is it in neautral he replyed yeah.He had it in gear and flat revs and to my dismay started in gear, idid a complete mickey flip out the back.He cut the engine I climbed back in and asked him again if it was out of gear again before starting it and going straight out of the boat again!When I got back in I made Him start it,he'd actually been putting the throttle full forward.Ilost my brother out of the boat just after spot lighting some crocs while crabbing.Lost him right where we'd seen a 12footer 15 mins earlier.You should of seen the look on his face as he tried to swim upwards out of the water.

Rod_Fishing
29-09-2006, 01:27 PM
I can honestly say that i have never fallen out, but i have been pushed out as a joke and had many a dive too cool off.

maxwellson
29-09-2006, 07:49 PM
yep got to admit it .. ;D ;D

fell off at south reardons a while back
not fun, due to the amount of berley in the water

hardly got wet ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Glenn_Woods
30-09-2006, 03:28 PM
I went on a cruise to North West Island With 9 others from my work crew on a 42 footer for 3 days. On the way out, My mate who is not a fisho, said after his 12th bundy and coke [smiley=freak.gif], his only fear in life was sharks. That afternoon while fishing the sunset he called out from the bow to me there was a large shark swimming under the boat. I was fishing aft and was looking straight at him and watched as he lent further over the side to watch the shark. Next thing he toppled head over the rail, being a big fellow and top heavy in slow motion. He hit the water and i could hear him scream under water. I laughed so much i didn't know wether to thro a rope or get the gaf [smiley=laugh.gif]. He swam the 42 foot to the duck board in record time. Once he got out, he realised he lost all his smokes, his $100 sunnies given to him by his wife for there wedding anniversary, his shoes and the rod he had borrowed. Funny thing is the big strw hat he had on had a wind strap under his chin, so as he swam, it acted like a huge sea anchor. I dont know who got the biggest fright, him or the shark as the looked at each other in the eyes. Top trip tho.
Woodsy ;D

jollyman
30-09-2006, 09:49 PM
Be careful of those cold drugs that affect your balance! Got hit by a bow wave in the old man's tinnie while standing, couldn't regain balance and fell onto my fishing rod. It ended up in 3 pieces :-)

maztez
01-10-2006, 07:25 AM
Two and a half drunks and a 12 foot brooker on the Mary River NT dont mix when two decide to go the same side as the skipper (to get another beer ),All three in the drink ,one cant swim so you can imagine the chaos that ensued . All ended well however have not allowed grog or drunks (self included)onto my boat .
Not long after this a good mate was fishing the mouth of the Adelaide River NT on a pro fish boat ,pissed fell overboard during the nite and wasnt misssed .Parts recovered in a shark and a very big salty . This was the nail so to speak grog and boating dont mix .
cheers Terry