PDA

View Full Version : Confirmation of Australian fishing licences?

HookSet
28-09-2006, 03:49 PM
I have searched the internet and it appears that there is no local or foreign fishing licence requirement for Queensland. While I am an Australian citizen, I have lived in Canada for nearly 20 years. Could someone please confirm that I don't need a fishing licence?
Anglers in Canada are required to purchase not only a fishing licence, but species and sometimes special water requirements. To give an idea I am a resident, so I have to purchase either/both a tidal or non-tidal licence depending where I want to fish. Then I have to purchase some specific species tags and some species have a limit. I may appear to be complaining, but I'm not.
For example - my yearly freshwater (non-tidal) licence costs were around $40 with a salmon and steelhead tags $40. My Salt (tidal) licence was around $30 including a salmon tag. Foreign requirements are $100 plus each. This may seem extreme, but there are between 10-30 million salmon a year in our waters and tens of thousands of lakes to fish. These are supported heavily by hatchery fish and the fishing is incredible. Most of the money paid goes back to support the local fishery.

Here is a quote from a local write up on my home river...

The Fraser River is one of the largest salmon bearing rivers in the world with an average of 10 to 30 million salmon returning each year. The Fraser is also home to one of the largest freshwater game fish on earth, the White Sturgeon. Sturgeon can grow to lengths of over 15 feet and weigh as much as 1800 lbs. Sturgeon on the Fraser are famous for making tail walking leaps and tackle breaking runs that put even the fittest anglers to shame.

http://www.bc-fishingguides.com/fraser_river_fishing.htm

Money well spent in my view.

SCOTTYGC
28-09-2006, 03:55 PM
you do not need a fishing licence for rec fishing in queensland

scotty

davez104
28-09-2006, 04:02 PM
Except for the Impoundments on the Stocked Impoundment Permit scheme, then you will need the permit, $35 a year or thereabouts.

Dave.

HookSet
28-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Excellent. Thanks for the quick respones. 8-)

aussiefool
01-10-2006, 06:52 AM
Hookset, G'day Mate, I know you said QLD but if you drive over the boader into NSW for a fish you WILL NEED a licence to have a fish. sorry mate
Aussiefool
Andrew

outsiderskip
01-10-2006, 09:20 AM
we also have bag limits
unless you have a professional fishing licence

pete